Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Enjoyed your dining report and am looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Enjoyed your dining report and am looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
Thanks!!! Welcome!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Finding our home for the next 6 days...

Being the overplanner that I am, before we left, I had faxed a room request over to the YC, in hopes that we would have a room close to the lobby, with a lake view if possible (although it was so cold, the pool was pretty quiet the whole time we were there anyways).

So how did we do?

While checking in, the CM asked if we had a preference in location, and I mentioned the fax I sent, the reasoning behind our request, and smiled hopefully. Or excitedly. I'd pretty much constantly smiling since our plane landed in FL.

She replied that she had a great room for us, and it was ready now! This was an unanticipated bonus, we were able to take a peek at our room and drop off our bags before lunch (this was around 11 am).

Want to see our view?

So did we...let's go!!

We went up to our room, I excitedly ran around pointing out all the little nautical Mickey touches, then pulled the curtain aside (in a dramatic fashion, I hope.)

Oh we were so excited with our beautiful view!! (Bizarrely, I didn't take any pictures of our room from the outside, but it was right above the wedding pavilion. Even more fun, one afternoon we got a glimpse of a wedding there!)

Inside the room, I again bizarrely didn't take any pictures except for our towel animal

Yep, that's a towel Mickey. We are SO at Disney now!!!

I loved the room decor, it was themed without being over-the-top, and was just nice. There was a lot of dark wood and blues, which was really nice. The only part of the room that seemed a bit odd was there was approximately 2 inches of space between the bathroom door closing and the toilet. Not that it really presented a problem, was just a bit cramped-feeling.

Wingnut says "I thought it was pretty nice. It was pretty standard. The bathroom was where you saw the bits that made it a premium room, insofar as the soaps, hand creams, and types of shampoos. The aesthetics and decor of the resort are very nice."

We performed our first ritual of "The Adorning of the Anniversary Pins," and after exploring the room for a couple of minutes, we then decided to head to lunch. Not surprisingly, I had a plan...

Leaving the room, we realized then that we didn't even have to use the elevator to get to our room, there is a fun little staircase right off the lobby that's right down the hall. I loved using this staircase in the mornings (evenings, fighting gravity was less charming), as it seemed to be always empty and was like our own little staircase.

While we were still on the plane, I had thought that it would be fun for us to go to Beaches and Cream for lunch, especially since we were only a few steps away. We had never been here before, but it seemed fun and filling, and that's good enough for us!

I knew approximately the whereabouts of the restaurant ("Umm, along the outside of the Beach Club..."), so we exited the Yacht Club, went "ahhhh" in the Floridian sun, and scooted around the outside of the two resorts using the walkway, figuring that was our best bet on not missing it.

We happily ambled along, pointing out the sights along the way ("Look, the pool! A palm tree!") until we came across the ice cream cone-shaped decor and more cheerful CM's.

"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!" they cheered from the hostess desk.

"THANK YOU!!!" we happily replied. This would be the first of around 6,000 times we would be wished a happy anniversary over the next 6 days by CM's and other WDW guests. I loved it, it felt so fun and celebratory, and I tried to spot other people's pins to wish them congratulations on their pin occasion, but was usually too slow and they'd be halfway to Space Mountain while I was still fumbling to get my finger to scan at the front gate.

Hmm. How'd I get to MK?

I was surprised that we were given our choice of a booth, table, or counter seating, as I had read that B&C fills up pretty fast. We had gotten there at around 12:15, so it seems that we had beaten the lunch rush, luckily!

Our lunch at Beaches & Cream

While we were sitting at lunch, I watched the skies outside begin to get grayer and grayer, and people leave the pool. And then it started to pour. Now, we are no stranger to pouring rain in Florida. The first day of our trip the previous December (12/4/09, if anyone else was witness to this), it rained. But it wasn't just normal rain. It was exceptional epic "get an ark" rain.

Us, outside of Ellen, completely and utterly soaked. But check out that first-day-we're-at-Disney-YAY glow.

I hoped beyond hope that this rain wouldn't be as torrential as last year's. I didn't think it was supposed to be, anyways...
Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
not_Joanna_eggs
DIS Veteran

I'm in. You guys are adorable! Can't wait to hear more. And here's hoping that you don't get rained out. I hate when that happens!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Enjoyng your report so far, can't wait to hear more!

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow! Gorgeous room view! That's about as good as it gets. I am looking forward to trying Beaches and Cream this spring. Very cute picture of you two, even soaking wet.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #22
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Holy cow! Your room view was gorgeous! Did you just love looking out at it? I would've. And your room was ready too? Awesome! I tried to do the online check-in at 10 days out and then everyday leading up to our trip but it wouldn't let me complete it.

I laughed when I read your description about the toilet being so close to the stupid door! It was the same in our GF room too! Why is that? Do they just anticipate people not wanting to ever shut the door? Weird.

I really want to try out Beaches & Cream sometime too. It looks so cute in there! Glad you beat the lunch rush too.

Bummer about the rain! We had a little bit of rain on our trip so we bought ponchos. It stopped raining about 2 seconds after we put them on! I hope that your rain wasn't a deluge! Regardless, you and Wingnut looked adorable, even if you were soaked through!

Great update!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Oh my gracious what a beautiful view!

We celebrated our anniversary at WDW before too and loved getting all of the "Happy Anniversary" wishes.

I hope that the rain doesn't last too terribly long.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_Joanna_eggs View Post
I'm in. You guys are adorable! Can't wait to hear more. And here's hoping that you don't get rained out. I hate when that happens!
Welcome!! Aww thank you! Rain at Disney is pretty annoying, but never totally unanticipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Enjoyng your report so far, can't wait to hear more!
Welcome, thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wow! Gorgeous room view! That's about as good as it gets. I am looking forward to trying Beaches and Cream this spring. Very cute picture of you two, even soaking wet.
Thank you!! DBF's shoes got so soaked that day they didn't dry for the rest of our trip (5 nights!). B&C is definitely a great place to visit, the decor is adorable, and the food is really good too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Holy cow! Your room view was gorgeous! Did you just love looking out at it? I would've. And your room was ready too? Awesome! I tried to do the online check-in at 10 days out and then everyday leading up to our trip but it wouldn't let me complete it.

I laughed when I read your description about the toilet being so close to the stupid door! It was the same in our GF room too! Why is that? Do they just anticipate people not wanting to ever shut the door? Weird.

I really want to try out Beaches & Cream sometime too. It looks so cute in there! Glad you beat the lunch rush too.

Bummer about the rain! We had a little bit of rain on our trip so we bought ponchos. It stopped raining about 2 seconds after we put them on! I hope that your rain wasn't a deluge! Regardless, you and Wingnut looked adorable, even if you were soaked through!

Great update!
We LOVED our view! I so enjoyed just relaxing on the balcony watching the boats come and go. It was such a great treat! Online check-in was a bit of a pain for me too...I had to switch the browser I was using (Safari as opposed to Firefox) - could that have been the problem?

THE BATHROOM WAS SO WEIRD!!! Seriously, every time I went in there, I'd be like "THIS IS SO STRANGE!!" (Thankfully, DBF is pretty used to me by now ). I mean, it didn't really affect me beyond my having to step all the way into the bathroom to close the door, but you'd think they'd allow a smidgen more clearance. Strange to hear that's the situation over at GF too.

Beaches&Cream = . It truly is such a cute little gem of a place.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that all that needs to happen for it to stop raining in Disney is for me to buy a poncho. However, I am perfectly okay with spending $8 for it to stop raining. Makes me feel a teensy bit powerful too...my shopping controls the weather!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh my gracious what a beautiful view!

We celebrated our anniversary at WDW before too and loved getting all of the "Happy Anniversary" wishes.

I hope that the rain doesn't last too terribly long.
It truly was above and beyond what I had hoped for. The anniversary wishes were so fun! I loved giving and receiving all of those good vibes!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Rain, rain, go away...oh, thank you!

Now full, Wingnut and I started to make our way to Epcot. I had wandered around online about wheelchair renting info, and felt about 39% confident in my abilities.

(Which is about 5% more confident than I usually am using self-checkout at the grocery store ("what kind of apple is this???".)

We strode into Epcot using the International Gateway, or "The Place With The Wonderful Area Music." I'm serious, check it out.

After entering, we took a hard left to the wheelchair and stroller rental area. I semi-confidently strode up to the CM.

"Hi, I'd like to rent a..."

"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!" the CM cried out excitedly, "there's a phone call for you!"

I had known there were phone calls for birthdays, but the anniversary calls had slipped my mind. Wingnut was unaware of the phone calls (as far as I know, anyways), but didn't seem too phased when Mickey and Minnie began singing, giggling, and congratulating us from the phone the CM held between our ears. It was a very sweet touch, and a fun way to enter our first park of the trip

"How many years???" the CM then asked, gesturing to our buttons. We told him three, and he grabbed a marker and put a giant "3 YRS" on each of our buttons. We thanked him, and then swiftly and easily rented the wheelchair. I decided to go with the length-of-stay rental, which saved maybe $10. With this, I received my receipt (forgetting "i before e except after c" on both those words ) with a length of tickets for each day's rental stapled on. This was a quick and easy process each day after.

(And yes, when I filled out my nametag, I did add Mickey ears above the "o" in my name. I got an eye roll from Wingnut on that one.)

And we're off! And thus began my ever-constant questioning of Wingnut:

"Are you okay? Is this okay? Are you sure you're okay with this? I'm sorry."

(Okay, so that last one wasn't really a question.)

But I really did feel awful about Wingnut pushing me around in a wheelchair. But it was a necessary solution, and I knew that. And Wingnut had been the one insisting I get the wheelchair and he push me from the beginning (I had originally toyed with the idea of the ECV, but he kiboshed that pretty instantly ("It's 5x more the price, difficult to drive, and you're going to keep running into me.)

True on all accounts. Touche, Wingnut. You win this round.

"I'm fine. I'm fine. I promise I'm fine." was the responding chorus from behind me.

As you can see, Epcot still had a few lingering ponchos, but the rain had slowed to an occasional sprinkle. And I didn't even have to buy a poncho for it to stop!

Taken while rolling, hence, slightly askew and smattered with poncho.

Things I learned: Wingnut will stop for a topiary. Particularly one that's in the shape of Donald Duck.

I snuck in Goofy while I was at it.

We toyed with the idea of going to Future World, but decided to save that for when we'd go to Epcot in the morning to maximize ride potential (can't risk a long line on Figment!). We proceeded around the WS, stopping into countries as we went.

Not sure why I took this, but it's in Mexico.

Norway.

Tomb Warriors in China. I could say I was being unique by taking a picture from the back, but really my pictures from the front turned out incorrigibly blurry.

A bit of pavilion ambiance. Tungsten filter, I have no idea who invited you.

The skies, they were gloomy that day.

Server Amusant. (The vertical aspects of the show make it a bit easier to see while in a wheelchair in a crowd.)

While I'm on the topic...

Epcot While In A Wheelchair (passenger's perspective):

Pros: Generally wider pathways, easy to see the surroundings. Lots of nooks and crannies to park in. Easy to know where to go (pretty simple layout of the park).
Cons: A couple of hills (leading to the Land, from the International Gateway). Lots of stores and pavilions to go into, which meant lots of in and out of the chair.

(Driver's (or as Wingnut puts it, Professional Wheeled Sitting Apparatus Operator) perspective)

Pros: For the most part, the park was very easily navigated. Queue's easily accommodated the chair width.
Cons: None

Back to World Showcase! He's waving.

I'm not. Sorry.

As it started to get dark, we doubled back (wait, did that already), and headed back to Mexico, where we had ADR's at La Hacienda de San Angel.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
MEK
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the lovely pictorial tour of the World showcase. You got some really great pictures! Glad things worked out with the wheelchair. I have to agree with you on the ECV - they look rather awkward to drive and I am sure I would be running over people left and right.

Thank you for posting the Epcot music loops. I should have known they existed on youtube. Everything does!

Great update!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 02-22-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Awesome update Stringbean! And kudos to Wingnut for lovingly pushing you around the WS. So sweet! You guys are adorable.

I'm glad the wheelchair renting process went smoothly for you too. How sweet to have had an anniversary phone call!

You got some great shots of the countries. Cute pic of you in Morocco too, nice converses, are they pink?

Looks like you had a wonderful little tour around WS. I can't wait to hear about your meal at La Hacienda! We're anxious to try it out!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Thank you for the lovely pictorial tour of the World showcase. You got some really great pictures! Glad things worked out with the wheelchair. I have to agree with you on the ECV - they look rather awkward to drive and I am sure I would be running over people left and right.

Thank you for posting the Epcot music loops. I should have known they existed on youtube. Everything does!

Great update!
Thanks! The ECV's really do look difficult to drive. Thankfully DBF was very set against putting me at the helm of one. (He likes his ankles intact) The wheelchairs were very basic, but did the job well.

I love listening to the WDW area music on YouTube. It's such a nice way to get back into the Disney mood, plus it really makes you notice the music details when you're back there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Awesome update Stringbean! And kudos to Wingnut for lovingly pushing you around the WS. So sweet! You guys are adorable.

I'm glad the wheelchair renting process went smoothly for you too. How sweet to have had an anniversary phone call!

You got some great shots of the countries. Cute pic of you in Morocco too, nice converses, are they pink?

Looks like you had a wonderful little tour around WS. I can't wait to hear about your meal at La Hacienda! We're anxious to try it out!
Thank you! He was incredibly sweet to wheel me around the parks - it definitely isn't an easy job! Getting the wheelchair was very easy, no questions asked, always had a chair available whenever we went to the rental station.

yay converses!! They are pink (light pink), I also have them in black, red, brown and pink, and in a peace sign pattern. Oh and converse sandals (SO comfy). I love those shoes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #29
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Well its been a long, been a long, been a long, been a long day...

(Props to anyone who gets the reference above )

So by the time Wingnut and I rolled up to La Hacienda for our reservation, we were a mere 2 hours early. (Our reservation was for 8-something, but we were both getting a bit tired, having been up since 4 that morning.)

The hostess had no problem seating us right away, and we were led into the waiting area inside, where we waited for around 2.4 seconds.

Dinner at La Hacienda

Fully full, I returned to the chair waiting outside, and Wingnut began to take us out of Epcot (via Canada-way).

What the Epcot christmas tree looks like when your boyfriend is at the transportation helm.

We soon arrived back at the YC, and decided to stop at the store to get some waters and snacks for the room. Wingnut ran back to the room for I forget why, and I sat in the lobby and waited for him. While he was gone, I decided to take pictures of the staircase that had already charmed me so, and would continue to for the next few days.

I then laid in wait for when Wingnut would return.

We then headed off to the shop, picked up some waters and some graham crackers, and returned to the room.

I then switched the channel to Stacey, 'cause it's mandatory.

To come: Tonga Toast, and we're walkin'/wheelin' right down the slightly-to-the-right of Main Street USA!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Good morning,

good morning,

to you and you and you!

Really, it's very difficult to wake up in Disney and not be pretty chipper.

Wingnut and I listened to Stitch and Mickey "NO SLEEPING!" "Okay!", and began to get ready for our day. We had known while still at home (thank goodness) that it was going to be exceptionally cold this week here in FL, so we did pack accordingly (as much as I hated bringing a coat to Disney, it was just entirely necessary.) Long sleeves. Gloves. Coats. And smiles. You're never fully dressed without those, you know .

Oh, and anniversary pins. I was loving those already "Pin it somewhere visible!"

This picture came out kinda dark, but it does show the details of the headboard of the bed. Nautical!

Today's plan had us first venturing to the Poly for breakfast at Kona. I had talked up Tonga Toast to Wingnut for months before we went, he was very intrigued by the fried aspect. I just hoped it lived up to expectations. Me, I had my eye on the Macadamia Pineapple pancakes - I loooove pancakes.

Wingnut and I made our way to the bus stop, where we waited briefly for a bus to the MK (odd fact: every morning that we used the bus stop, it was usually around 7:15 or 7:30, and we were always TOTALLY ALONE there. Seriously, not even a meandering other guest going to a different park. We always had the bus to ourselves until the Beach Club, and on occasion, until the Boardwalk.)

Anyways.

We got out at the MK, and as it was unfortunately still a tad too early for the boats to be running (8 am, boo), we hopped on the monorail (Yes we did sing this every time were in the vicinity of the monorail) and rode allll the way around to the Poly. Well, until we were stopped at the TTC for about 10 minutes for an unknown reason that kept the doors open and the frigid air a'blowin about the cabin (car?).

Soon enough, we pulled up at the Polynesian, and went straight over to Kona Cafe. I was very excited for my Wingnut to have his first taste of sugary fried banana-stuffed dough. It was like a Disney rite of passage. Or it was breakfast. Could it be both?

Let's see what Wingnut thought...

Well, phew.

Random Polynesian shot:

So as I totally spoilered in the dining review, Wingnut and I actually did get to MK just in time for the opening show, which I had entirely not planned on! It was really cute and fun to see, but it was a bit stressful, as the area was crowded with people just staring at the train station, and Wingnut and I had no idea where we needed to go to rent the wheelchair. So we were kinda stuck in the crowd until the show started and finished (which I didn't really mind), but then I realized that we had come in on the far left, and the stroller/wheelchair/ECV rental area is ALLLLLLL the way on the right.

Whoopsie.

We made our way through the crowd, which was surging forward, and we were making our way sideways. Lesson learned, rope drops are a bit chaotic when in need of rentals. We didn't make any others for the rest of the week.

Wheelchair in hand (well, in Wingnut's - in my case it was Stringbean in wheelchair), we started making our way towards the castle, rolling along down Main Street, when all of a sudden OH HI HORSE SUDDENLY RIGHT NEXT TO ME...

He's beating us, roll faster Wingnut!

Oh well.

I spy a castle!

Closer

Slightly closer

Starting to hang a left at Adventureland

Hmm, where should we go first???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: