Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #136
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Heading to unfamiliar territory. After breakfast, that is.

At this point in the trip (1 full day to go ) I was already starting to get the "I don't want the trip to be almost over yets". Actually, I had been getting that for a little bit already, but packing wasn't looming quite so imminently.

But we were still in Disney (yay ) and were going to be for a bit longer, so I was able to push the dread of packing aside for a bit longer.

Denial, works every time!

Anyways, today's plan was taking us to a park we hadn't been to yet - Animal Kingdom. (Actually, I had been to AK a few years prior, but Wingnut had not. Or maybe he had? Hang on...

Yes, he had been when it first opened.)

Okay, so this wasn't exactly unventured territory, but it was certainly unfamiliar. I have absolutely no idea where I am in any part of Animal Kingdom at any given time in relation to time, space, or 'Soarin, whereas I can rattle off the World Showcase countries in order.

(Mexico, Norway, China, African Outpost, Germany, Italy, the American Adventure, Japan, Morocco, France, United Kingdom, Canada)

Hey, I'm an Epcot fan, and I'm not afraid to show it.

However, today, we were leaving the safe haven of the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow and heading west.

On the bus, Wingnut starting to protest the picture-taking. I am still undeterred.

So where were we headed? Back to Boma for breakfast!

After breakfast, we headed upstairs to the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby and poked around hoping to find a park map. Unable to find one (we found out later that we were about 5 feet away from them the whole time ) we decided to just head over to the AK, and be the obvious tourists holding maps and blankly pointing.

Hey, it sounded like an adventurous plan at the time. And isn't this park all about the adventure?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #137
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post

Okay, so this wasn't exactly unventured territory, but it was certainly unfamiliar. I have absolutely no idea where I am in any part of Animal Kingdom at any given time in relation to time, space, or 'Soarin, whereas I can rattle off the World Showcase countries in order.

(Mexico, Norway, China, African Outpost, Germany, Italy, the American Adventure, Japan, Morocco, France, United Kingdom, Canada)
I say them in order, too, when telling someone the countries. A little OCD-ness, I guess. It feels to say them any other way.

Quote:

Hey, it sounded like an adventurous plan at the time. And isn't this park all about the adventure?
Yes, let the adventure begin!

We've had Boma for dinner, but not breakfast. Yet.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #138
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

What? You ventured AWAY from Epcot?? Oh Sara, my opinion of you just dropped a teensy bit. Just kidding!

AK is fabulous! But I agree, it can be confusing despite it's hub/wheel set up. Actually, I'm about to make you feel better. Ready? Ok, (deep breath here) I didn't even KNOW what AK was the first time we took our girls in 2008! We extended our trip by one day and I called to make a dining reservation for lunch. The CM on the phone suggested Tusker House at the AK and I was like, what the heck is AK? Is it a zoo? I kid you not. I'm sure that CM hung up thinking I was the stupidest person she'd spoken to that day. There, don't you feel better now?

Aw, poor Wingnut wasn't in a picture taking mood. It's ok, DH gets like that too. Usually it's because I want him to stand next to some random Disney prop or interesting thing like a lamp post.

Boma is amazing and I think I prefer the breakfast there to the dinner. I love your animal shaped pancakes! Almost too cute to eat (almost). I'm going to have to disagree with you on the juice, it's delish! Yours and Wingnut's joint review was hilarious! Apparently he was yelled at alot...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #139
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I've done Boma for lunch & dinner but not breakfast. Those goat cheese scrambled eggs sound yummy!

I hope your 'adventure' at AK is a good one!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #140
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Caught up here and read the Boma breakfast dining review. Very cute two-part harmony in the writing of that chapter. Somehow I don't think they would've given my wife and I a strawberry for every year...they don't want to take a loss on the meal!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #141
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I say them in order, too, when telling someone the countries. A little OCD-ness, I guess. It feels to say them any other way.

Yes, let the adventure begin!

We've had Boma for dinner, but not breakfast. Yet.
Hahaha it just feels right to say them like that! (and I never go Canada to Mexico, no idea why I only recite WS clockwise )

Oooh you SO should try Boma for breakfast! I'm telling you, it's worth it for the goat cheese eggs alone, but there are a bunch of fun treats there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
What? You ventured AWAY from Epcot?? Oh Sara, my opinion of you just dropped a teensy bit. Just kidding!

AK is fabulous! But I agree, it can be confusing despite it's hub/wheel set up. Actually, I'm about to make you feel better. Ready? Ok, (deep breath here) I didn't even KNOW what AK was the first time we took our girls in 2008! We extended our trip by one day and I called to make a dining reservation for lunch. The CM on the phone suggested Tusker House at the AK and I was like, what the heck is AK? Is it a zoo? I kid you not. I'm sure that CM hung up thinking I was the stupidest person she'd spoken to that day. There, don't you feel better now?

Aw, poor Wingnut wasn't in a picture taking mood. It's ok, DH gets like that too. Usually it's because I want him to stand next to some random Disney prop or interesting thing like a lamp post.

Boma is amazing and I think I prefer the breakfast there to the dinner. I love your animal shaped pancakes! Almost too cute to eat (almost). I'm going to have to disagree with you on the juice, it's delish! Yours and Wingnut's joint review was hilarious! Apparently he was yelled at alot...
It did feel a bit out of character to not be walking into the International Gateway. Hey, I'm a creature of habit. Especially when those habits involve French pastries.

I LOVED your AK story! It's okay, it's kind of out of new and the way... That park is ridiculously confusing though. I think because I don't know it well enough to have a good grasp on landmarks. I'm just looking around like "tree...tree...person dressed as a tree..."

Wingnut usually starts to protest the constant picture-taking at some point in the trip. It is generally brought on when I've started taking photos of the mundane or "too many" of him. What can I say, I've got memories to preserve!

I agree, I prefer Boma's breakfast to dinner as well! Although I prefer breakfast to dinner on any given day...but I thought Boma's breakfast was excellent!

(And of course, nothing but love for the Wingnut )

(but...)

(he WAS taking all the good items to review. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
I've done Boma for lunch & dinner but not breakfast. Those goat cheese scrambled eggs sound yummy!

I hope your 'adventure' at AK is a good one!
They are SOOO yummy! If I could have somehow smuggled the entire tray out of the restaurant with me I may have considered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Caught up here and read the Boma breakfast dining review. Very cute two-part harmony in the writing of that chapter. Somehow I don't think they would've given my wife and I a strawberry for every year...they don't want to take a loss on the meal!
Thanks!!! I enjoyed the strawberries as a fun anniversary treat! I'm sure they would have figured out a fun surprise for you as well (although now I'm envisioning them bringing over a wheelbarrow of strawberries to your table...how cool would that be?!?)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #142
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
(although now I'm envisioning them bringing over a wheelbarrow of strawberries to your table...how cool would that be?!?)
Hey, we haven't been married quite that long....we're not that old!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #143
Carol17
Mouseketeer

I am a little late to the party, but I am loving your trip report! I have to say that the Yacht Club is like home to me! I hate to tell ya though,the staircase is MINE, not yours(LOL teasing of course!)

It is nice to read a fellow adult only trip report. I soooo agree about the bathroom at YC. Crazy the contortions you have to do to get in there without falling into the toilet!

We are a week away from our trip to the Poly, but reading your report has made me want to go back to the Yacht Club!

I have a TR from the Yacht Club as well as one at the Boardwalk for our Chilly January visit(see my signature for a link) if you would like to see more pics of our favourite place!

Looking forward to reading more!
Yacht Club Trip Report 2009
January 2010-Birthday Trip-The Boardwalk Inn
Boardwalk Inn January 2010 Trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2512974
Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #144
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Hey, we haven't been married quite that long....we're not that old!
Oh Glennbo, of course you're not that old!

...but wouldn't a wheelbarrow full of strawberries just be awesome? Or, better yet, zebra domes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol17 View Post
I am a little late to the party, but I am loving your trip report! I have to say that the Yacht Club is like home to me! I hate to tell ya though,the staircase is MINE, not yours(LOL teasing of course!)

It is nice to read a fellow adult only trip report. I soooo agree about the bathroom at YC. Crazy the contortions you have to do to get in there without falling into the toilet!

We are a week away from our trip to the Poly, but reading your report has made me want to go back to the Yacht Club!

I have a TR from the Yacht Club as well as one at the Boardwalk for our Chilly January visit(see my signature for a link) if you would like to see more pics of our favourite place!

Looking forward to reading more!
Hi, welcome!!

Alright, alright, we can share the staircase. That is a wonderful little part of WDW, isn't it? So funny how we can become so enamored with a staircase!

The bathroom was a little ridiculous, every time I went in there I'd be like "could they have built this with a little less extra space???"

Have an awesome time at the Poly!!!! I've never stayed there before, but it seems absolutely gorgeous there!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #145
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Going to Africa. And no, not the African Outpost.

After breakfast, we took the incredibly short bus ride to the front gates of Animal Kingdom, rented the wheelchair as per usual, and began our ascent into the park.

Gee Wingnut, there seem to be an awful lot of inclines in this park. LIKE THE ENTIRE PARK IS ONE GIANT HILL THAT ONLY GOES UP.

How is this even physically possible? All poor Wingnut did was push that wheelchair up and up and up past foliage and random animals that we didn't really slow down to see for fear we would lose momentum.

On occasion, when we would find plateaus, I'd hold up the map, approximate our current location, and try to suggest something that might be interesting to do.

"Safari?"

"Sure."

We started in the (hopefully) direction of the safari, I pointing the way, Wingnut following my human compass. Everyone around us seemed incredibly confident of their plan and location, and I could feel myself getting flustered and frustrated already.

"Turn this way, I think. Um...oh!...a sign for Africa!" (thank God) "Go there, go there!"

The theming for this park makes me even more confident in my inability to survive if ever lost in Africa. Or Asia. Or any sort of place with a lot of trees and no Figment.

(I like to think that Epcot missed me too.)

Eventually, miraculously, we found our way to the Safari. We wound the wheelchair through the queue, as I remembered it being long and wanted to save my energy. The line was pretty short, and soon enough we were aboard our two-week safari ride.

Our vehicle took a moment to cruise off, and we could hear the driver of the first jeep cracking jokes and having a grand time with his group. Wingnut and I laughed along with that group, and we soon took off (our driver turned out to be very informative and entertaining as well).

Safari pic time...

The elusive tour group sighting.

Well hi there.

I was very excited when it was elephant time.

I was very excited about this one for some reason

Ok, not an elephant

I have to say, I don't really understand why Disney felt the need to add in the whole poaching plot to the safari. I think it's interesting and entertaining enough a ride on its own without hunting down evil-doers. And did the bridge get a lot less rickety than in prior years? Or was I imagining that part?

Post-safari, we got entirely turned around at the exit, and somehow ended up attempting to back up the ramp to the exit of the ride (it is not my fault everything in this park LOOKS ALIKE). Our safari guide helpfully pointed us in the right direction (the one everyone else was heading in...whoops...) and we were back on our way...to...well, let's go this way.

Hey look, DeVine!

I'm kind of wondering if the guy doesn't notice her standing right there, and is like "hey, awesome concrete"

As much as I don't know about this park, I was pretty pleased with myself for being able to point out to Wingnut the lining up of the temple/mountain.

He was mildly impressed.

We rolled on.

I'm sure at this point our feelings about using the wheelchair in AK are pretty obvious. Why on earth is it all uphill? Okay, I know it was built like that in order to have people appreciate their surroundings more, but really, I am very appreciative of the flat-level surroundings in the other parks. Hills just make Stringbean annoyed. And sometimes her ears pop. And that just makes her even more annoyed.

This was a kind of nifty thing we rolled past.

Pretty prayer flags.

Around now, we decided to swing into Finding Nemo: The Musical. We took our seats, and I hyped it up to Wingnut a bit while Nemo popped in and out of the bubbles.

"Some people say this show is good enough to be on Broadway"

I kind of regretted hyping it up as soon as the words came out of my mouth. I didn't love it, to be honest. Wingnut: "egh, I thought it was cute, but I don't think worth the hype."

All my fault, I know.

Although that stinkin' "Go With the Floooooooooooooooooooooow" song keeps getting stuck in my head.

After this, Wingnut was getting hot and tired, and we didn't really have anything else we wanted to do in the park. Well, I had wanted to see Festival of the Lion King, but another show wasn't for a bit of time, and we decided to leave.

Wingnut attempting to get a soda but only being offered them sans-lid (yes, yes, animal-friendly...I don't see those Jungle Cruise animals complaining about soda lids ) was our last little Animal Kingdom frustration. Mercifully, we found the exit soon after, and I practically kissed the wonderfully smooth flat ground. Did I mention that the ground is also BUMPY in Animal Kingdom.

Where to next? I'm pretty sure you can take a guess.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #146
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Yeah, come to think of it, it is pretty hilly in Animal Kingdom. I guess Wingnut would know that best, since he pushed you all through it.

I think your safari pictures turned out great.

I've never seen the elusive tour group, so yes, they are elusive.

I agree, I think the bridge is less-rickety nowadays.

Aw, sorry that Nemo didn't live up to the hype.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #147
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Oh dear Sara, AK certainly didn't treat you (or poor wheelchair pushing Wingnut!) very well. I never really noticed the hills before either.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the safai and you captured some fantastic shots!

I laughed about how you got all turned around after you exited! So something I would do as I have zero sense of direction. The first time we toured AK, I had us walking in circles pretty much the entire time.

The first time I saw Nemo, I loved it! Then the second time I was like, it's pretty good. The third time well, I think you can see where I'm going with this! I have to agree that song is frustratingly catchy and nearly impossible to stop thinking of once you start!

Soda without lids. Darn those conservation zealots! Just kidding! Actually I was more put out that the straw feels and tastes like sipping through cardboard But I get why they do it.

Where to next? Oh good grief, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Epcot! Am I right??

I hope you and Wingnut have a Happy, Happy Easter.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #148
MEK
DIS Veteran

Sorry you didn't love your AK day, but your pictures are great and it still sounds like you had a lot of fun!

I personally love AK because there is a picture every 6inches. Its a photographer's dream. I think I am going to be in one of those behind the scenes groups next week as I am signed up to do the African Trek. I hope I love it. I'm not even sure what day it is - better check that!

I do hate the no lids and straws rule, but I understand why they do it. People just can't maintain their trash well enough.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #149
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Quote:
The theming for this park makes me even more confident in my inability to survive if ever lost in Africa. Or Asia. Or any sort of place with a lot of trees and no Figment.

You got some great safari shots!

Interesting point of view being in a wheelchair. I do notice that it can be a bit hilly but uphill & bumpy I would have never noticed. I wonder if imagineering knows that?!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #150
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

You know....I've never thought about how hilly and bumpy the walkways at Animal Kingdom are. But, after your description, I do remember that now. I bet that Wingnut was tired after pushing the wheelchair.

Your pictures from the safari are so good. I thought the bridge was a tad less rickety too.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: