Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Memorial Day - Weekend Trip 2011 @ Polynesian

I have spent an hour looking for advice or tips on how to write a trip report, I have read a few trip reports so I kinda get it. But still I really don't get it. Is there a page out there giving info on this?

Some of my questions are - Do I just post my trip report as a new thread?, how do I put up photos?
Alot of trip reports I have read seem very detail, fancy and stuff. I just thought it be nice to give an outline of my trip & a few pics (being its my first report and all)

Any advice would be helpful, Thank you

****Okay, I think I have figured it out Now*** Thank you all

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
jm106
DIS Veteran

I worried about the same thing when I wanted to do a Pretrip report. I am by no means an expert but wanted to reply so you can start on yours. You
upload photos to photbucket.com an copy the html(I think, its the bottom one) and paste it into you TR.
You can write it any way you want just share your story/experience.
Ill check back, hope to read all about your vacation. You start a new thread, name it what ever you like. You can link it as a signature(I did it but forgot how.)
Good luck.
Off to upload my own pics and start my first trip report myself!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Maybe I'll just go for it and start y report

Our Memorial Day Weekend TRip to Polynesian.

Cast -
Myself - Klarah 28 yrs,
My husband J - 32 yrs.

A little about us.
We met Dec 2007 & were married Jan 2010.
Our first trip to Disney together was in March 2008. We go to Disney often My husband is from Orlando & his parents still live there.
We don't have children of our own, yet. Though we have taken in my youngest sister's son who is 3 years old, he has been with us for over a year. My mother also helps with his care & now is father is also more involved.
We also have a great dane & 3 persian princess cats. All of this above comes into play with trying to leave for the parks.

My Pets (I luv so much , had to put up a pic)

We started planning this trip about 2 months ago, It started out to be a large family trip with myself, DH, Nephew, Middle sis (20 yr) & my grandmother.
Then Sis & grandmother backed out & my mother offered to watch DN & Pets. So at first I was bummed because I love to share the magic, but then there is nothing like just 2 adults on a vacation. So there will be other trips, & it has only been 2 weeks since I took DN for a day trip so I was able to push back my guilt and start thinking of perfect trip for 2. Three days before we left I had to rethink our entire trip plan & change dining reservations , some completely others just cut down to 2 ppl. Then I called our reservation to change it down to only 2 ppl. and got a good chunk of money taking off the room cost. Which I think we got a good passholder deal on the resort room to start.

We planned on leaving Friday night after DH got home for work, which would be late around 7. So, I spent the day getting the house ready, packing up DN, doing laundry, slowly packing, gave the dog a bath, etc. DN was picked up around 6. But when DH got home I still wasn't done with laundry and needed him to help me get down a certain bag from attic (which I ended up not needing)( we ordered a set of 3 duffle bags from disneyonline and I love them gonna order 3 more! they hold way more than I thought) Well long story short I hate leaving my home and animals, there is just always one more thing I need to do. Well I didn't stop my self till 9 ish, then we still needed to drop a house key off to my mother, (which somehow slipped my mind earlier)

Finally in the car - Friday May 27th 2011! 9:30 pm heading up 75 to I-4 then disney.

Traffic was fine, no sign of the memorial traffic I was so worried about.

We arrived at the Polynesian around Midnight! There was a surprising amount of cars pulled up under the overhang, I think it was a large family coming in 3 rental suv. Now as we were pulling in I said to my DH "let's just enjoy the checkin and not get so flustered like we always do, let's just relax" which he agreed to. Well we were total mellow but then the bell hop came up to the car in a tissy. ANd that when I realized where that nervous rushed feeling comes from during the check in its the bell hops! The bell hops asked us to move our car because we were in the wrong lane, so we moved we should of known better the far left is always a drive lane, we moved up to the crub behind the family's caravan. Then the bell hop came right up to us and was in a hurry to get our bags onto the cart. He told us one of us should go on in and start checkin, (my husband and I had planned to stay together) but after the bell hop said it a few more times, I went ahead inside. ( my DH parks the car his self, at Poly you can do this easily because the parking lot is near, but at some resorts like Grand FL I don't recommend this unless you have time for a 25 min walk.) I kinda felt sorry for the bell hop, I think they were low staffed during those late hours, but because of the holiday they were busier then expected. Well inside the lobby was no one The large family group was not up to the desk yet they were still gathering up.

We checked in with ease and were given our lays, then pointed to our room. We were so far away from the lobby over in Tahiti, but on the other hand it put us very close to Ticket & Transfer Center. So really I dont think there is a bad spot at the Poly each building has its plus & minus. The walk ways on beautiful garden paths lit by torches at night, the scent of tropical flowers was strong in the air and the starts were out. It was very romantic.

Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the garden and in the distance the parking lot, which we really couldn't see. I think Poly considers their basic room a garden room and that they dont offer a standard room which is code for roof top view or straight parking lot, but idk I could be wrong.

We were told to call the bell hop for our bags when we were ready for them which we did right away and they were brought up to us in no time. See even though we miss out on some room time by checkin in so late in the day we normal have a very easy checkin and lots of attention just like this nite. (besides the overworked & a lil stressed bell hop,though he was wonderfully helpful)

I couldn't sleep we took room pics and watched my fav Disney info channels. I would love to have them at home, even though the same lady has been doing the "must do disney" for years now. I dont even know how they have the same show from 2008, think of all that has changed like downtown clubs closing & toon town closing, I think they will make a new video soon, cause the current one is so chopped. lol I hope some of you know what I'm talking about, to be clear I'm taking about the park info channel that plays on a loop on the resort tvs. Its true disney addict insanity!

Around 2 am I made my wake up call using the resort phone system for 6am!
Because we planned for this to be the first trip ever to see a rope drop!
Finally I drifted off to sleep.

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Klarah
Earning My Ears

THANKS JM!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Room pics at arrival

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Klarah
Earning My Ears

The rooms seem huge to me, though when I stayed last time the rooms seemed even bigger. I am guessing Tahiti is a newer building and last time I was closer to the lobby in an original building which has a lil bigger rooms. But Idk
I wish I would have taken pics of the large beautiful bath room with it's green marble like (or real idk) tiles. But I guess I never thought to do it.
Also funny note when I am unpacking and setting up in a room, I make the bible drawer my "all papers & scraps drawer" where I keep all the info papers they leave you in the room and little papers I collect like times sheets, just cause I save them all and plan to make a scrap book one day. Then I empty the drawer into a Disney bag when we leave filled with keepsakes, and a lot of info to look back on and review. I even keep all my receipts so I can look at what we spent.

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Saturday May 28th 2011

6 am wake up call from Stitch and Mickey, they chatter on for a good 30 seconds or more, which is helpful to truly wake me.
Then I opened up the curtains to let some light in. Oh how I love those curtains they really can black out the room! But then you also have a sheer which on the 3rd floor gave all the privacy I felt we needed. (well most of the time)

Got dolled up and woke husband, he popped up better than I thought he would.
Though I think he thought he was going to work for the first few mins. We left the room around 7:15 am with no real plans on breakfast. We went thru lobby to catch monorail and noticed a little stand, called Kona Island ( i think) on the 2nd floor on the Great Ceremonial (Lobby) house. Well this worked out perfect we split a banana bread & both got our own Banana & OJ.
We ate on the monorail which was okay. maybe a lil gross when you think about it but again we were fine. Plus the lighter breakfast made us feel wonderful.

We made it over to MK in like 5 maybe 7 mins, made it right thru the bag check and finger scan and walked almost right up to the right entrance with only a few families in front of us. Most were waiting in center area to watch the characters arrive. but we decided ahead a time we prefer to be first in then see the WElcome show. Though ended up we could crane our necks and see it. I think the time was 7:40 ish so we didnt have long to wait! MK had an 8 am open time the only one for the 3 day weekend the rest were 9am. Also this was not EMH. but still I figured 8 am was still earlier and therefore would be less crowded & I think we were right and it paid off! Really it was not crowded at all.

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Entrance - Don't mind if I do

Please notice the cast member who has not had his coffee, also I think casting took 1 look at him and thought, yep he can deter them at the gate , lol oh

magic , worth lack of sleep

Here we go!!

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Our plan was to go straight to Splash mountain and Fast pass it because we figured we didnt want to ride it until later when it was hot we figured that the FP would tell us to come back around 2 hours later at 10 -11.

1 thing to note, when the crowd comes in it can get a bottle neck crowded and we were getting turned around and lossing ground in the crowd. Though all is calm because the crowd has to follow behind cast members. Still the other side rushin in it gets tight.

Also I think most went to Fantasy land and Tomorrow land because .......

NOW thats what I'm talking about!!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Klarah
Earning My Ears

But when we got over to splash Mountain it was broke down and closed.
It was fun though watching Disney management working on the problem talking to each other, we still fast passed it but later Dh wouldn't go on it *he had uneasy feeling from knowing it was down earlier, * silly baby*
We rode Pirates of C> which had few new tweaks from the new movie, which DH said had been released that day. Oh and walked onto Jungle cruise, very nice in the morning.
Then we went to Fantasy land

Notice the fog in the pond thats a reflection of the "jesus loves you" sky writers work

The park was so calm, no crowds, Everything felt clean and fresh, having been cleaned the night before and we were the first to touch it before the next 20,000 or so. We were able to notice so much details, We were just swooning and enjoying the morning! I can't believe we never did this before!
Still the crowds remained low we waked onto all fantasy land rides - peter pan (which also seemed different & darker, for the better) Pooh, Carrousel, & snow white. We meet the white rabbit & alice! Then headed to Tomorrow land. We walked onto space Mountain, & buzz's ride.

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Klarah
Earning My Ears

We took our time between each ride and enjoyed the park & shops.

We were done with all we had planned to see by 10 p.m. We could of done more but we try to space it out between trips., so we moseyed around went potty etc.
We did some main street shops but it was starting to get busy already.

I really wanted to see the - Dream Along with Mickey- It was awesome! loved it So around 10:30 I went & stood in a great spot! I love when the fireworks go off, seems so unexpected! What could be better this show has almost all the princess and Mickey & friends! I love mickey's jacket could the sparkles be any brighter!

By this time though the sun was very intense and my DH had to stand over in the shade. Man was the sun intense I found my shoulder had gotten red thru my t shirt when we got back to the resort. I actual had tan line from my bra straps , thru my shirt! Note to self and all apply sunscreen to entire body like a body lotion at resort before getting dressed! Oh and tops of shoulders & feets! SO important! Plus it keeps your energy up to have sun protection on.

At the time I didnt notice it and I loved the _ dream along with Mickey show!

Around 1130 ish, We were very hungry and headed up early for our Liberty Tree Tavern Reservation (made for Noon) and they took us in , maybe we waited 10 mins. The restaurant was not busy, though we noticed the crowd came in while we were leaving must of been 1p.m
We had a great lunch. Though I didn't realize the family style all you can eat is not available for lunch. I tried to order it 3 times before the waiter telling me "it's not available set in" . But still we were able to order the same thing. Lunch was a wonderful thanksgiving style meal! This is gotta be one of my top fav disney restaurants. Also on way out of LTT we notice the horseshoe restaurant was opened, I'm not sure what the deal with that place is, it seems to only be open during busy days.

Then we left the restaurant and walked to the frontier land train station , enjoyed the train and got a sneak peak at the new castles, WOW they are really coming along, we didnt take pics, wish we would of! Then we got off the train and left. Taking the resort monrail home. Here is a pic of the station as we left the park, wow the sun, was out right on top of us. But the sky was so blue and beautiful!

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
Klarah
Earning My Ears

We made it back to the resort in 10 mins or less. Then we had a decent walk from the lobby to the room, maybe 7 mins. If we were smart we would ofh gotten of at the Ticket center and walked to our room, it was closer.

Oh but back at the room with the blackout shades pulled we had the most glorious nap! It could of been 2 am for all we knew. Oh I slept so well. Can you tell I am sleep deprived.

I set up a wake up call for 4:30 pm ish before taking my nap, a good thing too or we would of slept for who knows how long.

When we woke my first thoughts were of wishing we had booked reservations for the dinner show - Spirit of Aloha! But we hadn't, I think we didnt because you have to hold it with a credit card, and we were nervous too. Well I decided we would go ahead and get dressed for dinner and see if the had standby. Well wouldn't you know it, they kinda do! We were put off the side to wait - this was around 5:15 for the 5:30 show, then at 5:35 we were seated!! So we got into Aloha without a reservation! Now thats what we call Magic! We loved the aloha dinner & show. Though they didn't have the fire guy! I was told ( by our server)that he was in the hospital because he had burned his face and arm pretty bad and that they didnt know when and If he be coming back. That in something like 15 years of doing fire shows he had never been burt like this before. I'll post pics of the show tomorrow! Its late here now! maybe 1am.

Last edited by Klarah; 06-02-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
dalmatian7
Earning My Ears

I'm hooked. I think you are doing a great job.
Every time I see how big the rooms are at the poly, I want to stay there. Dh just doesn't like the fact that the rooms aren't connected to the lobby.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Glad you got the hang of it.

If you want to change your title, go back to your first post., select edit,
then select Advance. You should be able to go to the beginning of the thread and see the title area. Change the name of your Title. If you want me to do it, give me a name and I can change it for you.

I heard about the Fire Dancer getting hurt. Lots of people were talking about it at O'hana's, when I was there in March.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Klarah
Earning My Ears

Thank you Oh mari

Thank you Ohmari,
That is what I signed on to do, it was bothering me.

I'm glad I decided to give trip reporting a try, I am having so much fun. (while still learning a lot) It has to be one of the best ways to preserve the memories. I enjoy Reliving the trip in my mind play by play so that I can share it with others. Maybe I'll get a Journal for our next trip so I can keep notes in order to make a better report next time. Now I see how others became so creative with theirs!
I really regret that on previous trips I didn't make an effort to remember or preserve them. But from now on I am going to. Not only for the memories but because it helps with planing return visits. Oh and it's lots of fun to share with others who love Disney like we do!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: