Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
HHSTigerFan
DIS Veteran

LLNOE board?

Anyone else ever post over there??? An occasional good thread or trip, but overall seems like a sorty of creepy, cult like group..
HHSTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSTigerFan View Post
Anyone else ever post over there??? An occasional good thread or trip, but overall seems like a sorty of creepy, cult like group..
One could make the same observation about some theme park message boards.

Really, after that comment would you expect anyone to admit to posting on that board?

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Redwitch
DIS Veteran

Curiosity killed the cat... What is "LLNOE?"

RedWitch Mikka (DD) Ebony RIP Amber Khan Tora Raion

Hoping for trips in May and October of 2015!
Redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwitch View Post
Curiosity killed the cat... What is "LLNOE?"
LLNOE = Living Like No One Else

It's a forum of Dave Ramsey followers.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

I posted initially to join and possibly get tips from others. We are at a positive financial turning point (almost debt free, excluding our mortgage) and we were curious as to what the next appropriate financial step would be. I do think Dave's board gives good advice and it helps me put into perspective where we are on our financial journey. I haven't posted since my original join date, but I do occasionally lurk for advice over there.

tweedlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
minnie1928
WDW addict

I go there a good bit and post occasionally. I've learned the hard way that they are very hard core DR and have gotten my hands slapped for going against DR philosophy even slightly. So, if you know what you're getting into...it's not a bad board and I've gotten some great ideas there.

For all around financial advice, I prefer www.savingadvice.com. They don't favor one particular person's style, it's just a lot of common sense.

LMT Loser and proud of it!

U u
minnie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

LOTS of people from this board post over there.

I've never gotten a creepy cult-like vibe (in fact I hate hate HATE it when they (or DVC members or anyone else) use the "kool-aid" analogy, as that refers back to an actual cult and mass murder/suicide but no one ever realizes that when they are using the "drink the kool-aid" phrase); I've gotten GOOD advice, solid advice, and lots of people are being helped over there!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

I've posted there and lurked there off & on since we joined Dave's FPU program in Oct 2010. Between some info I rec'd in the FPU class, and tips/ideals I got on the LLNOE board, I have successfully changed my financial picture for the better.. we still have a ways to go until we are truly financially free, but we are already in a position that I never ever thought we would be in.

so no, I don't feel a Cult like feeling there, but if I was going to join a cult, that would be the type I woud join.. something that teaches me how to be 100% debt free, 100% financially free and a much bigger giver then I already was... yea.. I'd join that cult!

as a sidenote... when I first found and started posting on the dis I sort of felt the same about this group of boards

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I've lurked a bit, but I'm not really "into" DR so I never really felt drawn into the conversation. Besides, I don't have room in my life for another message board - between the DIS and my gardening boards, that's all the time I'm willing to waste!

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
HHSTigerFan
DIS Veteran

Maybe one just needs to believe the Ramsey rhetoric and marketing to get anything from that place and thats my problem, personally I don't enjoy listening to his bad financial advice, rude behavior and his "I am the smartest man in the world" attitude...
HHSTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
carymomof3
Always planning our next trip to WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSTigerFan View Post
Maybe one just needs to believe the Ramsey rhetoric and marketing to get anything from that place and thats my problem, personally I don't enjoy listening to his bad financial advice, rude behavior and his "I am the smartest man in the world" attitude...

So why would you spend time lurking over there in the first place? And then take the time to talk about it over here?
1st trip to WDW with kids - 1995 - offsite
Summer trip to WDW & DD's 8th birthday - 1996 - All Star Sports
Spring trip to WDW & DS1's 8th birthday - 1999 - offsite
Fall trip to WDW & DS2's 8th birthday - 2001 - offsite
Thanksgiving trip to WDW - 2003 - Holiday Inn Family Suites
1st Disney Cruise for DD's high school graduation - June 2006 Magical week at the Poly - June 2008 :
Summer in the World - June 2011 - The Swan
carymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I've lurked a bit, but I'm not really "into" DR so I never really felt drawn into the conversation. Besides, I don't have room in my life for another message board - between the DIS and my gardening boards, that's all the time I'm willing to waste!
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I must ask about the gardening boards you visit. Will you share them please? Either here or thru PM. I love to garden and would love to visit gardening forums too. Thank you.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
DawnM
Dawn

Exactly!

Now, I do understand not wanting to listen to him. We don't do Dave Ramsey, we do another similar program without the arrogance.

The "rhetoric" isn't that hard to get......so that shouldn't be an issue. When I went to the LLNOE board I had never read a DR book or attended anything he produced, still haven't, but I do follow the same type of principals to stay out of debt.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carymomof3 View Post
So why would you spend time lurking over there in the first place? And then take the time to talk about it over here?

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
bebelle
DIS Veteran

The site has provided us with much information and encouragement. The site is not endorsed by DR but follows his basic principles for financial freedom. We are almost debt-free with only a mortgage payment left. It is a WONDERFUL place to be.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchelbay View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I must ask about the gardening boards you visit. Will you share them please? Either here or thru PM. I love to garden and would love to visit gardening forums too. Thank you.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing! My green thumb needs some serious help (food coloring).

Anyway, DH and I read DR's newest book. I thought it was poorly written, but really enjoyed the message. We are currently gazelles 'in-a-tent' - working hard to budget and pay off our credit cards and student loans. This means no more Disney trips until we are credit card debt free. Still, that will be a sweet trip! In answer to the OP question, I did not get too much of a cult feeling although at first something did feel a little creepy. For me it was probably the religious references as that is not something I normally have in my life. Still, I've found everyone to be very nice and the stories to be inspirational.

Can't wait to be debt free!

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: