Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #61
Funball
DIS Veteran

Do u guys have a wine list? Is it as expensive for wine as I have heard? I know the food is way outta my budget.. man though that food does look good...i must be hungry
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #62
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

I don't have the wine list but the wine cost is comparable to a similar type of restaurant you would go to. For example, there were two Rieslings available by the glass--one was $9.50 and one was $12.50 a glass. I tried the $12.50 one and it was wonderful.

The other thing is if you get the tasting menu or vintner's menu ($90) you can add a wine flight for $45 which is a good deal (I think you get 4-5 glasses paired to each course)/

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #63
Funball
DIS Veteran

$90 is WAY to much for me.. ..thanks toocherie. just wondered about the wine...i knew the food was expensive .. yep and so is the wine!

Last edited by Funball; 03-16-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #64
Queenbillabong
Second to the right and straight on til morning
Just like melted butter
We may need a table by the loo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
He did eat it & liked it. He said it was fried & tasted like pork, but more tender. I wasn't getting anywhere near it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I was actually pleasantly surprised by them. We didn't know they were in our Strawberry Duck and it was only after we had eaten some that he told us.
See, I don't like surprises like that Knowing what it is, I would feel ill after if someone let me know after that I had eaten sweetbreads. Good for Mike for being that brave though I would probably go with the Vintner's table rather than the chef choosing, just for that reason alone. No surprises, por favore
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #65
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbillabong View Post
See, I don't like surprises like that Knowing what it is, I would feel ill after if someone let me know after that I had eaten sweetbreads. Good for Mike for being that brave though I would probably go with the Vintner's table rather than the chef choosing, just for that reason alone. No surprises, por favore
If you do the chef's choosing, he asks you what do and don't like. When we got the sweetbreads we had ordered the Vintner's table. It said nothing about sweetbreads being on the dish, we were chatting with him and telling him we didn't want to eat them during our main course. He said, "Well you didn't seem to mind them in THAT dish." (Pointing at our plates) I hadn't finished all of them so I asked which it was, he had breaded them and crispy fried them and they were actually a nice complement to the texture of the duck.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #66
been2marceline
Fish are Food, not Friends!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funball View Post
Do u guys have a wine list? Is it as expensive for wine as I have heard? I know the food is way outta my budget.. man though that food does look good...i must be hungry
The wine prices are a little above what I consider appropriate, but not out of line for a top end restaurant.

The wine list is stellar. Lots of hard to find ( and pay for ) bottlings.

Of one wants to get a sample of the cuisine without going for a full meal - there is always a subset of the current menu available in the bar, not inexpensive, but representative of the quality.

I had to be in LA a year or so ago for business, I snuck in on the way home for a glass of pinot and the duck meatballs at the bar.... awesome.
DIS Cruising, Been There, Done That: - 77 Day Eastern - Fantasy Jan '14, Wonder - Nov. '11 MR, 14 Day Magic - Eastern Repo LA - PC Aug. '05 ,7 Day Magic - Western,7 Day Eastern Nov. '07, 4 Day Wonder - What - another one? Thieves Reunion 10/4/14, now it's chronic... 10/15 EBPC!!!

DW DH DD19
been2marceline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #67
franandaj

Quote:
$90 is WAY to much for me.. ..thanks toocherie. just wondered about the wine...i knew the food was expensive .. yep and so is the wine!
you can always go into the bar at the Napa Rose and order one thing off the menu and a glass of wine. It will definitely be pricey, but I'm sure it will knock your socks off!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #68
Queenbillabong
Second to the right and straight on til morning
Just like melted butter
We may need a table by the loo

Quote:
If you do the chef's choosing, he asks you what do and don't like. When we got the sweetbreads we had ordered the Vintner's table. It said nothing about sweetbreads being on the dish, we were chatting with him and telling him we didn't want to eat them during our main course. He said, "Well you didn't seem to mind them in THAT dish." (Pointing at our plates) I hadn't finished all of them so I asked which it was, he had breaded them and crispy fried them and they were actually a nice complement to the texture of the duck.
Now I'm nervous. Laurie doesn't like nuts or mushrooms and got nuts and mushrooms - the sweetbreads weren't listed in the duck dish (that's kind of an important ingredient not to "fess up" about in my books ). Maybe I'll just say it's against my beliefs to eat offal
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #69
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

I made the mistake of discussing Dizluver's review. I was not happy to hear that her requests were not honored. DH has always been hesitant about the idea of the chef's counter. I told him he could order off the menu, but now I think he feels that he will be self-concious with the chefs around. Plus we would be sharing the counter with another couple.

He asked me to change our ressie to just a regular table. I'm hoping to talk him out of it, but it is our special anniversary dinner and I want him to be happy and comfortable. I thought getting the chef's menu would be a neat experience, but not at the expense of my dh.

I wish the new menu would come out. Many of the dishes in the winter menu sound so heavy. I wonder when they typically change to spring.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #70
franandaj

Tell your DH that she did not have Chef Sutton. He listens to what you say. We did not tell him that we didn't want the sweetbreads until after he had served the dish. Also it is not for sure that there will be another couple. We have dined there just the two of us, we have had company of a solo diner. But do what you need to make him happy.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #71
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Now I'm nervous. Laurie doesn't like nuts or mushrooms and got nuts and mushrooms - the sweetbreads weren't listed in the duck dish (that's kind of an important ingredient not to "fess up" about in my books ). Maybe I'll just say it's against my beliefs to eat offal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
I made the mistake of discussing Dizluver's review. I was not happy to hear that her requests were not honored. DH has always been hesitant about the idea of the chef's counter. I told him he could order off the menu, but now I think he feels that he will be self-concious with the chefs around. Plus we would be sharing the counter with another couple.

He asked me to change our ressie to just a regular table. I'm hoping to talk him out of it, but it is our special anniversary dinner and I want him to be happy and comfortable. I thought getting the chef's menu would be a neat experience, but not at the expense of my dh.

I wish the new menu would come out. Many of the dishes in the winter menu sound so heavy. I wonder when they typically change to spring.
Quote:
Tell your DH that she did not have Chef Sutton. He listens to what you say. We did not tell him that we didn't want the sweetbreads until after he had served the dish. Also it is not for sure that there will be another couple. We have dined there just the two of us, we have had company of a solo diner. But do what you need to make him happy.
Please understand that we had the Sous Chef, who was busy chatting with the couple next to us at the counter. He knew the gentlemen & seemed more interested in visiting with them. He also had a strong accent which made communicating a bit hard. He heard the NO COCONUT because that was an allergy. When I said I don't like nuts & mushrooms, he did ask if those were allergies & I said no....just dislikes. They also had a lady come into the restaurant that had a list of 48 items she couldn't have.....so they were busy trying to make sure they didn't give her something that would be a problem.

I think it's good to keep an open mind & willingness to at least try it. He may have wanted to change my mind on the nuts & mushrooms. I did enjoy the mushroom dish.....which really surprised me. So don't let my situation deter you from trying.

PS: The sweetbreads were listed on Mike's Veal course.....I didn't get them on my duck course.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #72
Funball
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
They also had a lady come into the restaurant that had a list of 48 items she couldn't have.....so they were busy trying to make sure they didn't give her something that would be a problem.

I

Sorry that statement is just too funny..... i can't stand people like that, it's like why even go ....anyhow i am glad you had fun
Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #73
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry that statement is just too funny..... i can't stand people like that, it's like why even go ....anyhow i am glad you had fun
Theresa: I usually say: "no asparagus, no tentacles and no organ meats." So far he hasn't given me any of those (although he did quiz me on why I don't like asparagus!)

I agree on the lady with 48 different "no no's"- why even go? But I wouldn't go so far as to say I can't stand such a person. I'm sure they want to have fabulous food too--it must be hard to be so limited and if there is someplace that a chef can make a limited menu into a fabulous meal it would be Napa.

Now I have run into people who have "imaginary" or self diagnosed allergies and that drove me nuts. (No pun intended.)

(I *think* I may have an allergy to eggs but never mention it because I'm afraid of missing out on something FABULOUS!)

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #74
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Thanks, I'm keeping our counter ressies and just plan to indulge in a drink or two to give me the courage to say we don't like something. lol I think I'm actually more picky than my dh.

We are both adventurous eaters...I guess it's the idea of rabbit saddle that turned my stomach.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #75
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Theresa: I usually say: "no asparagus, no tentacles and no organ meats." So far he hasn't given me any of those (although he did quiz me on why I don't like asparagus!)

I agree on the lady with 48 different "no no's"- why even go? But I wouldn't go so far as to say I can't stand such a person. I'm sure they want to have fabulous food too--it must be hard to be so limited and if there is someplace that a chef can make a limited menu into a fabulous meal it would be Napa.

Now I have run into people who have "imaginary" or self diagnosed allergies and that drove me nuts. (No pun intended.)

(I *think* I may have an allergy to eggs but never mention it because I'm afraid of missing out on something FABULOUS!)
I imagine it was easier to go to a place like Napa to get a custom made meal to work with in your dietary limits.....most restaurants won't do that. You have to look over the menu & figure out what you can have. It's a challenge for the chefs.....but it's a GOOD challenge.

Our twins have egg allergies, so after talking with the Disney chef on the phone before our summer trip, I was instructed to ask for the restaurant mgrs to look over labels (and in the official book of ingredients for items served at each restaurant) to make sure something didn't get missed. It can be a real pain to do that at every meal. So going somewhere where they can cater you a beautiful, tasty meal.....tailored for you is awesome!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: