Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #61
noahdove
DIS Veteran

So, does that mean room 7570 and 7568 will have an obstructed view as well??
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #62
slapwhitey

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzinmac View Post
Wow! In my opinion this worry about "obstruction" is much ado about nothing. We had one of the alleged obstructed views (7650) on the maiden voyage, and it imposed no restriction on the view at all. Certainly does not justify reclassification of the rooms. I found it no worse than the same verandahs on the Wonder or Magic. Actually, the verandahs are much nicer design wise, since the "obstruction" material is not a slab of hull metal requiring frequent repainting, but rather a nice nonstructural, anodized, finished panel that gives more of a "German construction" feel to the verandah. Also, the safety bars across the verandah are integrated into the plexiglas panels and are finished metal also, much nicer than the "rebar" bars on the classic ships.
I completely agree. Even the word "obstruction" seems a little over used here. From what I can tell within the cruise industry an obstructed or partially obstructed view is something that covers a portion of the window while looking to the outside world (lifeboat, etc). I wouldn't think Disney or any other brand out there for that matter could justify reclassifying such a room bacause of such a small issue. I think I can honestly say that the small portion that runs down the side of that balcony wouldn't affect my cruise or perception thereof. I think room size and location has a lot more to do with the classification than the peripheral views from the balcony or verandah.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #63
kato0627
DIS Veteran

We have room 10082 booked. Is that affected at all??
Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #64
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
I think I feel better now.
My family has 12 cabins booked for a family reunion in June and dang if my cousin does not have 7650. All of our rooms are right together so no desire to relocate.
This whole family reunion cruise was my idea and it want it to go so well.
My cousin-who ironically has this room- lost her husband recently. He was a policeman killed in the line of duty. We are all trying to have some fun from so much sorrow. I sure hope her and her son are not disappointed.
Quote:
Please trust me. You would never had noticed the "obstruction" if it hadn't been mentioned here. I was aware of the structure before boarding, but it never caused any obstruction for us or reduced the enjoyment of the verandah.

Please accept my condolences for your cousin and her son. Sadly and ironically, this was our first cruise in the two years since our daughter Amanda died of breast cancer, so we understand that this will be a bittersweet experience for your cousin and your family. Seems like 7650 is somewhat of a "memorial cabin". Our daughter was an avid Disney cruiser, and only because it was a new ship were we able to try it again. We are Platinum from cruises on the Magic and Wonder, but I'm not sure we can return to those ships. Too many memories!
My condolences to both of you. How wonderful to honor the memory of a loved one on a cruise like this, even tho as you said, it is a bittersweet memory at best.
I was going to ask if anyone had info re: Stateroom #XXXXX - but that really doesn't seem important anymore.
The important thing is that our grandchildren will be WITH us on a memory-making occasion - and "so what" about the view? It will be our time together that matters - not some fleeting view, or the food, or anything else...
Thank you both for putting things into perspective.
Please know that I'm saying special prayers and sending warm thoughts to both of you and your families.
My best regards,
Gretchen
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #65
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
My condolences to both of you. How wonderful to honor the memory of a loved one on a cruise like this, even tho as you said, it is a bittersweet memory at best.
I was going to ask if anyone had info re: Stateroom #XXXXX - but that really doesn't seem important anymore.
The important thing is that our grandchildren will be WITH us on a memory-making occasion - and "so what" about the view? It will be our time together that matters - not some fleeting view, or the food, or anything else...
Thank you both for putting things into perspective.
Please know that I'm saying special prayers and sending warm thoughts to both of you and your families.
My best regards,
Gretchen
Ah thanks. You know I get caught up in all the details too, but you are right. Wonderful memories will be created and I will be half sad when my cruise starts cause it will be that much closer to the cruise being over.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #66
m_kasch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! In my opinion this worry about "obstruction" is much ado about nothing. We had one of the alleged obstructed views (7650) on the maiden voyage, and it imposed no restriction on the view at all. Certainly does not justify reclassification of the rooms. I found it no worse than the same verandahs on the Wonder or Magic. Actually, the verandahs are much nicer design wise, since the "obstruction" material is not a slab of hull metal requiring frequent repainting, but rather a nice nonstructural, anodized, finished panel that gives more of a "German construction" feel to the verandah. Also, the safety bars across the verandah are integrated into the plexiglas panels and are finished metal also, much nicer than the "rebar" bars on the classic ships.
I agree...we had 6560 on the MV, and I didn't think this was any kind of any issue...the view was still fine. I wouldn't classify this as obstructed either. I loved our view!
m_kasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #67
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
Ah thanks. You know I get caught up in all the details too, but you are right. Wonderful memories will be created and I will be half sad when my cruise starts cause it will be that much closer to the cruise being over.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #68
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with izzinmac, after looking at the pictures how is this obstructed?
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #69
Michelle_R
Mouseketeer

I looked at the pictures and the only ones with room 9590 and 9592 look to be taken before the panels were put on. Am I just not looking at the pics correctly?

Last edited by Michelle_R; 02-13-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Michelle_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #70
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

9592 does not have this "obstruction". It runs directly up from between the lifeboats, so 9590 and 9588 do. The pics in the link I posted are before the panels were added.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #71
Michelle_R
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the help. My online ressie says 9590 and my mailed confirmation says room 9592. Hmmmm. I'm guessing the online one is correct.
Michelle_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #72
luvndizny
Mouseketeer

Perhaps I missed it, but did you take any/post pictures with a 'straight ahead' view? I mean, yes, your view might be slightly different, on the sides, but does it really obstruct a view that much? I would like to see what it would look like from a forward direction. Then I and others could make a more educated comment on whether or not we fully agree with you.
luvndizny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #73
mare73
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Mare,
Your room location has a lot more positives to it than the minor problem identified in this thread. We spend a lot of time on verandahs, and I never considered my view to be impaired. Quite honestly, the verandahs are so shallow you are seated or standing very close to the railing anyway. So any loss of visual angle is minimized. Basically, you aren't behind the panel, you are next to it. Your room is not a connecting room, so you don't have a connecting door. Plus, the hall configuration is very convenient. Since the room forward of you starts the larger family verandahs, there is a nice jog in the hall there that makes the hallway seem shorter, and makes it impossible to not find your room. Heck, you could be blind drunk, and not miss this cabin.. Just stagger or crawl down the hall til your head plows into a wall, stick your room card out to the left, and, walla, your room door is open!

Thanks for giving me a laugh - makes me realize I'm being silly about worrying over nothing. This will be my first cruise so it's not like I have anything to compare to anyway.

I also want to say sorry for your loss. My mom survived breast cancer (I suppose) but eventually cancer came back a few years later and that was it. Sucks.
mare73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #74
EDH Family
Married to the Mouse

Really, Chuck E Cheese??? I'm sure Disney has a higher standard than your refenence. There are other Cruise lines that might be more to your liking if it looked too cheap.

2005 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-December * 2007 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-September * 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Mexican Riviera-June * 2009 Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas-February * 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-November * 2011 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas-April * 2011 Disney Wonder 7 Night Mexican Riviera-November-Roy Disney Suite! * 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-December * 2013 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas - March * 2013 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western-March * 2013 Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas-August * 2014 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-April
EDH Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #75
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Can anyone help me figure out is 6108 is one of the rooms with this so called obstruction? Looking at the deckplan it is on the other side of the ship from 6608. Does anyone have a photo similar to the first one on this post but for the other side of the ship?

Thanks
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: