Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #46
izzinmac
DIS Veteran

Wow! In my opinion this worry about "obstruction" is much ado about nothing. We had one of the alleged obstructed views (7650) on the maiden voyage, and it imposed no restriction on the view at all. Certainly does not justify reclassification of the rooms. I found it no worse than the same verandahs on the Wonder or Magic. Actually, the verandahs are much nicer design wise, since the "obstruction" material is not a slab of hull metal requiring frequent repainting, but rather a nice nonstructural, anodized, finished panel that gives more of a "German construction" feel to the verandah. Also, the safety bars across the verandah are integrated into the plexiglas panels and are finished metal also, much nicer than the "rebar" bars on the classic ships.
izzinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #47
mare73
Earning My Ears

I have room 7152, which is across from 7650, and was honestly starting to feel a little bummed at the thought of an obstruction. Glad to hear you say it really isn't so bad, but not sure if it makes me feel less bummed. *sigh*
mare73 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #48
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzinmac View Post
Wow! In my opinion this worry about "obstruction" is much ado about nothing. We had one of the alleged obstructed views (7650) on the maiden voyage, and it imposed no restriction on the view at all. Certainly does not justify reclassification of the rooms. I found it no worse than the same verandahs on the Wonder or Magic. Actually, the verandahs are much nicer design wise, since the "obstruction" material is not a slab of hull metal requiring frequent repainting, but rather a nice nonstructural, anodized, finished panel that gives more of a "German construction" feel to the verandah. Also, the safety bars across the verandah are integrated into the plexiglas panels and are finished metal also, much nicer than the "rebar" bars on the classic ships.
I happen to agree with you--it doesn't look that bad to me either. However, I don't mind helping others figure out if they will have it or not and letting them decide.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #49
izzinmac
DIS Veteran

Mare,
Your room location has a lot more positives to it than the minor problem identified in this thread. We spend a lot of time on verandahs, and I never considered my view to be impaired. Quite honestly, the verandahs are so shallow you are seated or standing very close to the railing anyway. So any loss of visual angle is minimized. Basically, you aren't behind the panel, you are next to it. Your room is not a connecting room, so you don't have a connecting door. Plus, the hall configuration is very convenient. Since the room forward of you starts the larger family verandahs, there is a nice jog in the hall there that makes the hallway seem shorter, and makes it impossible to not find your room. Heck, you could be blind drunk, and not miss this cabin.. Just stagger or crawl down the hall til your head plows into a wall, stick your room card out to the left, and, walla, your room door is open!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #50
Weedy
DIS Veteran

My thought on why the pools are not bigger is that so there is more room for lounge chairs.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #51
Katems
Mouseketeer

Are these dividers and thus obstructed rooms present on the Magic, too, besides the secret verhanda rooms??? I mean, are there about 96 obstructed views on Magic, too?
Katems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #52
GoofyCrazy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Finally, someone that has stayed in the room we have booked for 6/6/2012. I was going to change ours until I really thought about it. We're happy with the room location and I really didn't want to move. My husband didn't seem to think the obstruction was that big of a deal. It's nice to hear from someone that has stayed in that room.

Thank you,
Melissa

GoofyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #53
jdybnsn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katems View Post
Are these dividers and thus obstructed rooms present on the Magic, too, besides the secret verhanda rooms??? I mean, are there about 96 obstructed views on Magic, too?
Yes, but these balconies are actually very nice as they have a solid metal, full floor to ceiling divider on one side (ie no gaps between the under/over the divider)..... making them a little more private than most, and with no obstruction to speak of - rooms 6616 and 6116 (and those next door toward the bow of the ship) being a couple of examples on either side the ship at the aft...loved these as they are so handy for the drinks stations and buffet restaurant.
Feb 2002 - I Drive 5858 (Ramada )Feb 2004 - Disney PORS Feb 2006 - Regal Palms & 4 Night Disney Wonder Feb 2008 - Ginn Reunion / Grand Cayman Wedding On Disney Magic(Western) / Omni@ C.G. Feb 2010 - Ginn Reunion/ Disney Magic (Eastern) Hammock Beach Palm Coast July 2010 Disney Magic Dover - Barcelona Repro. July 2011 10 Night Disney Magic In The Med. Anna Maria Island / Disney Dream B2B Feb 2012 Disney Fantasy May 2014

jdybnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #54
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

If I'm reading this correctly, room 7650 and 7648 will have the obstruction...is this correct? We have booked connecting rooms 7648 & 7646. Perhaps it won't be too big a deal if our verandahs connect.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #55
izzinmac
DIS Veteran

Even if you only had 7648, believe me, it's no big deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #56
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Using pics from HallsofVA's thread (previous post), 7660 is obstructed. 7558 and 7556 are not, while 7554 and 7552 are.

Quote:
I think I feel better now.
My family has 12 cabins booked for a family reunion in June and dang if my cousin does not have 7650. All of our rooms are right together so no desire to relocate.
This whole family reunion cruise was my idea and it want it to go so well.
My cousin-who ironically has this room- lost her husband recently. He was a policeman killed in the line of duty. We are all trying to have some fun from so much sorrow. I sure hope her and her son are not disappointed.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #57
izzinmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
I think I feel better now.
This whole family reunion cruise was my idea and it want it to go so well.
My cousin-who ironically has this room- lost her husband recently. He was a policeman killed in the line of duty. We are all trying to have some fun from so much sorrow. I sure hope her and her son are not disappointed.
Please trust me. You would never had noticed the "obstruction" if it hadn't been mentioned here. I was aware of the structure before boarding, but it never caused any obstruction for us or reduced the enjoyment of the verandah.

Please accept my condolences for your cousin and her son. Sadly and ironically, this was our first cruise in the two years since our daughter Amanda died of breast cancer, so we understand that this will be a bittersweet experience for your cousin and your family. Seems like 7650 is somewhat of a "memorial cabin". Our daughter was an avid Disney cruiser, and only because it was a new ship were we able to try it again. We are Platinum from cruises on the Magic and Wonder, but I'm not sure we can return to those ships. Too many memories!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #58
lauriegs
proud AKV and BCV owner

we're booked in a Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah CAT 4D, GTY...we've never had a GTY booking before, so are we able to request an unobstructed view, or are we just stuck with whatever they assign us? thanks!

Upcoming trips:
August 2014 WDW
Disney Magic - Thanksgiving 2014
lauriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #59
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

Quote:
Please trust me. You would never had noticed the "obstruction" if it hadn't been mentioned here. I was aware of the structure before boarding, but it never caused any obstruction for us or reduced the enjoyment of the verandah.

Please accept my condolences for your cousin and her son. Sadly and ironically, this was our first cruise in the two years since our daughter Amanda died of breast cancer, so we understand that this will be a bittersweet experience for your cousin and your family. Seems like 7650 is somewhat of a "memorial cabin". Our daughter was an avid Disney cruiser, and only because it was a new ship were we able to try it again. We are Platinum from cruises on the Magic and Wonder, but I'm not sure we can return to those ships. Too many memories!
Thank you and my condolences to you too. How hard to lose a child.
How wonderful you are continuing to make memories.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #60
JennLK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdybnsn View Post
Can anyone confirm & list exactly which rooms have these obstructions ...
My room did

Cruise: Fantasy 9/12 * Dream 1/12 * Dream 2/11
WDW: Off-site (Bonnet Creek) 01/13 and 11/11
SSR 1/11 and CSR/CBR 12/06-1/07

Jenn
JennLK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: