Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #61
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesekate2005 View Post
What happens if someone has like the flu or strep or something and is denied boarding at the port? I booked insurance through DCL (cruise in one week) and I am now worried that one of us will come down with a last minute illness (a bit paranoid, huh?)
That wouldn't be considered PEC. I know people have said they needed to have documentation from the doctor regarding being turned away at the terminal and have had problems because they didn't have the right stuff. You could call them [access america] and find out specifically what you would need if that were to happen.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #62
cheesekate2005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
That wouldn't be considered PEC. I know people have said they needed to have documentation from the doctor regarding being turned away at the terminal and have had problems because they didn't have the right stuff. You could call them [access america] and find out specifically what you would need if that were to happen.
It is Access America that runs the DCL insurance? I suppose I should know this - shame on me.
cheesekate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #63
aan1701
DIS Veteran

All I can say is the DCL insurance works well. My mom was coming on the Wonders PC cruise with us. She had tge insurance. Well my Dad, who was not going to go because he has turned into a hermit, got really sick and was in the Hospital till right after Christmas. My mom had to cancel cause she could not leave him home for two weeks. DCL is holding on to 50% of what she paid to be used on a cruise in the future (My mom opted for this instead of a refund) and Access America cut her a check for the other 50%.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #64
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
It is Access America that runs the DCL insurance? I suppose I should know this - shame on me.
Yes it is.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #65
cheesekate2005
DIS Veteran

Thank you!
cheesekate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #66
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
For those of you who book "dummy dates" while on a DCL cruise with the intention of changing to a different date - your first trip payment starts the clock running for purposes of covering pre-existing conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
Well, I just got off the phone w/USAA's company (ARCH). Very disappointing. Even though I made this new booking and paid for it all at once on Monday, I am NOT eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver. This is because we originally had booked a cruise in December on the Dream. And I had a deposit on that cruise, and the cruise line rolled the credit from my deposit on to the new booking. So according to ARCH, my 14 day "clock" starts ticking from when I originally put the deposit on that other cruise, even though that booking was for a different destination and a different date and was cancelled.

So I'm also guessing that we couldn't get the pre existing condition waiver if we had phantom booked a cruise when we were on our last cruise (which we didn't do). How is everyone getting around this type of thing? The DCL insurance is looking better now if we can't get the pre-existing condition covered. At least that way we'd be able to book another cruise if something happens.

Also, what happens if you have already paid for shore excursions when you use DCL's insurance? I'm guessing if they didn't include it in the original quote then your out of luck??
Because you rolled over the deposit from one cruise to another, that's why the date you paid the first deposit was the important one. The way around that is to either buy the insurance within 10-21 days after booking the first cruise, OR buy insurance from one of the companies (HTH and CSA) that has a waiver of pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of making the final payment.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #67
ddd100
Mouseketeer

We have purchased the DCL insurance, we are happy with that choice.
There's always going to be better deals in life but sometimes convenience outweighs the deals.
As we live in Australia, it's far easier for us to just go with DCL, no fuss and it's all complete with the booking.
I just can't wait for the cruise now!
ddd100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #68
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd100 View Post
We have purchased the DCL insurance, we are happy with that choice.
There's always going to be better deals in life but sometimes convenience outweighs the deals.
As we live in Australia, it's far easier for us to just go with DCL, no fuss and it's all complete with the booking.
I just can't wait for the cruise now!
The problem comes with pre-existing conditions, which is a much bigger issue in the US. If you do not have pre-existing conditions coverage, and, say, your high blood pressure leads to a heart attack, DCL insurance will not pay for any of your expenses, including potentially tens of thousands of dollars for evacuation expenses. It isn't convenient if they don't pay.

For almost any forseeable reason my family would have a serious financial issue, DCL will not pay. For all intents and purposes, it isn't insurance for my family at all.
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #69
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Ok, so we booked our cruise 7 days ago, we live locally and are going on the Mexican Riviera Cruise (total of about $1,800). My question is does trip insurance make sense?

In all honesty, I have never bought trip insurance for any trip I have ever been on, but this is only our second cruise, our last one was the two night cruise to nowhere.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #70
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Ok, so we booked our cruise 7 days ago, we live locally and are going on the Mexican Riviera Cruise (total of about $1,800). My question is does trip insurance make sense?

In all honesty, I have never bought trip insurance for any trip I have ever been on, but this is only our second cruise, our last one was the two night cruise to nowhere.
I would recommend it. Even if you were okay with losing your money on the cruise if something went wrong, if somebody got sick on the cruise, or injured, you wouldn't want to deal with the huge out-of-pocket medical bills or evacuation costs.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #71
ddd100
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
The problem comes with pre-existing conditions, which is a much bigger issue in the US. If you do not have pre-existing conditions coverage, and, say, your high blood pressure leads to a heart attack, DCL insurance will not pay for any of your expenses, including potentially tens of thousands of dollars for evacuation expenses. It isn't convenient if they don't pay.

For almost any forseeable reason my family would have a serious financial issue, DCL will not pay. For all intents and purposes, it isn't insurance for my family at all.
Yes that's fair enough but for us we have no illness and no pre-exsisting conditions, so it works for our family.
ddd100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #72
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

We do get insurance, as I've stated, but I did talk with our medical insurance people, and they do cover evacuation because of illness. They even sent us the info..so since insurance first makes you use your private insurance, that wouldn't be a concern.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #73
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd100 View Post
Yes that's fair enough but for us we have no illness and no pre-exsisting conditions, so it works for our family.
It's true--if you are all healthy, and don't get any illnesses between your cruise book date and your PIF date, Disney's insurance will work just fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #74
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
We do get insurance, as I've stated, but I did talk with our medical insurance people, and they do cover evacuation because of illness. They even sent us the info..so since insurance first makes you use your private insurance, that wouldn't be a concern.

That is also very true. If you have very good personal medical insurance, that takes care of that problem. However, not everyone's insurance will do that, and oftentimes (thought not always) there is a "reasonable and customary" condition that may still give you a large bill at the end of the problem, so I would definitely check before purchasing your insurance.

That's a very good point, though-you definitely want to know what your exposure will or will not be with regards to your health insurance, before you make a decision on travel insurance.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #75
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
Also, what happens if you have already paid for shore excursions when you use DCL's insurance? I'm guessing if they didn't include it in the original quote then your out of luck??
I'm pretty sure that you don't actually pay for the excursions until you are on board. I'm not sure what would happen in regards to your excursions if you get sick while actually on the cruise...

Quote:
What happens if someone has like the flu or strep or something and is denied boarding at the port? I booked insurance through DCL (cruise in one week) and I am now worried that one of us will come down with a last minute illness (a bit paranoid, huh?)
That's one of the things you buy the insurance for. Flu or strep is (usually) not a chronic thing, so would not usually be considered a pre-existing condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
Not all trip insurance makes you use your private insurance first. I used Travelex when I went to Alaska, and when I injured myself & was taken to the ER, the insurance dealt directly with the ER billing folks, and I never even saw a bill. Check the policy. If they list themselves as "primary" for medical expenses, then they pay first. ***************** lists whether a policy is primary or secondary.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: