Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #46
denas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
We purchased, as did all the staterooms on our reservation for our cruise in Oct. It will be our wedding cruise and we have lots of family coming.

That said, we also have one who will be timing their military leave from Afghanistan during that time, and knowing the military and world events, it is possible that he cannot get to take the leave at that time. I also have several "older" family members coming, and you just never know what might happen.

I'd rather be safe then sorry.
DCL insurance WILL NOT cover miitary leave from Afghanistan. Please read the policy under "active duty military" it specifically excludes leave being revoked due to war situation or unit mobilization which Afghanistan is. Also, the requirements for leave revocation are difficult to be met for someone who is coming home for mid-tour leave. It can take a week for soldiers to get from their location in theater to the US. The leave will not start until they arrive in the US. If the travel in country gets delayed - which happens all of the time since you are moving in a war zone, planes break down, etc, the leave hasn't been revoked but it doesn't start util the soldier arrives in the airport in the US where they are signed out on leave by the person in charge of receiving soldiers at these facilities. This makes it impossilbe to invoke the "leave revoked within 10 days" if the soldier is simply delayed in arriving in the US but still allowed leave.

The military person really needs to book insurance from a military insurance company to ensure that military situations are covered, but DCL specifically excludes most situations under which a soldier would not be able to make the cruise. The only policy which I have ever found that really covers military personnel not making it home for a trip is offered through USAA.
denas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #47
mellers
DIS Veteran
 
mellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinitwell View Post
www.*****************. This site, which I learned about from a consumer advice radio talk show, offers travel insurance from a number of leading companies. On the site you can compare companies side-by-side. I have used the site several times to buy travel insurance.
I also used http://www.*****************/ . The actual insurance I bought was TravelInsured, but I wouldn't recommend that if you made your first payment more than 15-21 days ago. I've seen more than one recommendation for CSA, and it will still allow you to get coverage for pre-existing conditions, so if you're buying now, that would likely be a good choice.
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #48
mellers
DIS Veteran
 
mellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by denas View Post
DCL insurance WILL NOT cover miitary leave from Afghanistan. Please read the policy under "active duty military" it specifically excludes leave being revoked due to war situation or unit mobilization which Afghanistan is. Also, the requirements for leave revocation are difficult to be met for someone who is coming home for mid-tour leave. It can take a week for soldiers to get from their location in theater to the US. The leave will not start until they arrive in the US. If the travel in country gets delayed - which happens all of the time since you are moving in a war zone, planes break down, etc, the leave hasn't been revoked but it doesn't start util the soldier arrives in the airport in the US where they are signed out on leave by the person in charge of receiving soldiers at these facilities. This makes it impossilbe to invoke the "leave revoked within 10 days" if the soldier is simply delayed in arriving in the US but still allowed leave.

The military person really needs to book insurance from a military insurance company to ensure that military situations are covered, but DCL specifically excludes most situations under which a soldier would not be able to make the cruise. The only policy which I have ever found that really covers military personnel not making it home for a trip is offered through USAA.
According to this: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml , CSA covers redeployment. You might want to consider buying from them.
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #49
mellers
DIS Veteran
 
mellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
E) Pre-existing condition waivers really only matter if you buy outside insurance OR you bought DCL insurance and don't want a cruise credit. If you buy DCL insurance, if your claim is denied by the insurance company (which it will be for a pre-existing condition) you will get a credit from DCL for 100% of whatever is non-refundable at the time you cancel. So if that's all you care about (getting the credit) you are good to go.Sayhello
One slight quibble with item E: Pre-existing condition coverage matters very much if you're evacuated off of a ship due to a pre-existing condition, or if your pre-existing condition acts up badly on the cruise. You could wind up stuck with a huge medical/evacuation bill, far more than the cost of the cruise. This doesn't happen often, and probably not for a fairly minor condition, but it needs to be factored into a family's risk assessment.

(BTW, In light of all the excellent information you have posted on cruise insurance, particularly the issue about rebooking a cruise, and how that affects the purchase of insurance, this is a minor correction. I am very grateful for your information, particularly with regards to the issues of rebooked cruises. I was not aware of how it could affect the pre-existing conditions waiver, and it could have caused me serious trouble in the future.)
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #50
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
For those of you who book "dummy dates" while on a DCL cruise with the intention of changing to a different date - your first trip payment starts the clock running for purposes of covering pre-existing conditions.
I found this out last time.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #51
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,357
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
There are also policies with "cancel for any reason" clauses. Again, they are probably more expensive than other policies... but then you don't have to worry about which reasons are covered.
I would check on this, because *most* "cancel for any reason" clauses also have to be purchased within 14-21 days of the first payment, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
One slight quibble with item E: Pre-existing condition coverage matters very much if you're evacuated off of a ship due to a pre-existing condition, or if your pre-existing condition acts up badly on the cruise. You could wind up stuck with a huge medical/evacuation bill, far more than the cost of the cruise. This doesn't happen often, and probably not for a fairly minor condition, but it needs to be factored into a family's risk assessment.

(BTW, In light of all the excellent information you have posted on cruise insurance, particularly the issue about rebooking a cruise, and how that affects the purchase of insurance, this is a minor correction. I am very grateful for your information, particularly with regards to the issues of rebooked cruises. I was not aware of how it could affect the pre-existing conditions waiver, and it could have caused me serious trouble in the future.)
You are absolutely correct. I was kind of focused on the cancellation side of it. Actual treatment or medical evacuation for a pre-existing condition definitely *IS* a big concern when considering trip insurance. Thanks for pointing that out!

I've had to use trip insurance 3 times, and have found out how precarious it can be if you don't buy the right policy at the right time. I'm really happy to be able to pass that information on, and help people from getting hit with unexpected expenses!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #52
jbuckent
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 595

I might be totally missing the point on something in this thread, but it sounds like people think Disney's insurance not starting until the PIF date is bad? I don't really get that. Isn't true that if you have/want to cancel your trip before PIF date you can get your money back?
__________________
Jennifer
1/2001 Carnival Destiny Southern Caribbean | 1/2002 Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Western Caribbean
2/2005 Disney Wonder Bahamas | 1/2007 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2009 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean with St Croix
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #53
llqool
DIS Veteran
 
llqool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)
Posts: 1,207

Wow....you guys are making me rethink everything yet again!

I *did* purchase the DCL insurance, but since I just booked and totally paid for our Alaska cruise on Monday, I think I fall within their 10 day cancellation period.

My husband is active duty military, but I'm more afraid of his getting sent somewhere temporarily than actually deployed (he's just back from his third deployment). Heck, I'm afraid of a host of different things, from one of our girls suddenly getting sick to someone in our extended family having something happen to them.

The first time we sailed, I bought a policy through Access America (the same company that DCL uses).

Now I'm thinking that maybe I need to look into the USAA coverage...

ARGHHH!!! What to do, what to do?

Won't DCL let you rebook on another cruise even if you *don't* buy their insurance? (I'm not considering doing away w/insurance altogether, just considering getting USAA's coverage instead)
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #54
denas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
Wow....you guys are making me rethink everything yet again!

I *did* purchase the DCL insurance, but since I just booked and totally paid for our Alaska cruise on Monday, I think I fall within their 10 day cancellation period.

My husband is active duty military, but I'm more afraid of his getting sent somewhere temporarily than actually deployed (he's just back from his third deployment). Heck, I'm afraid of a host of different things, from one of our girls suddenly getting sick to someone in our extended family having something happen to them.

The first time we sailed, I bought a policy through Access America (the same company that DCL uses).

Now I'm thinking that maybe I need to look into the USAA coverage...

ARGHHH!!! What to do, what to do?

Won't DCL let you rebook on another cruise even if you *don't* buy their insurance? (I'm not considering doing away w/insurance altogether, just considering getting USAA's coverage instead)
DCLs policy specifically excludes mobilization or deployment related to war from active duty leave revocation. I think you can still cancel the DCL insurance as long as you haven't reached your PIF date (ie the date 75 days out). Personally, I would book through USAA - I have always done this for every trip/cruise the past 15 years AFTER the very first time my Christmas leave got revoked and I couldn't go home from Panama!! The few times I have considered buying other insurance, I have always read the active duty military clause and gone back to purchasing from USAA.

And I don't think DCL will credit towards another cruise if you don't use their insurance. They really have no need to since they do encorage you to buy insurance!!
denas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #55
llqool
DIS Veteran
 
llqool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)
Posts: 1,207

Quote:
Originally Posted by denas View Post
The few times I have considered buying other insurance, I have always read the active duty military clause and gone back to purchasing from USAA.

And I don't think DCL will credit towards another cruise if you don't use their insurance. They really have no need to since they do encorage you to buy insurance!!
Well, I just got off the phone w/USAA's company (ARCH). Very disappointing. Even though I made this new booking and paid for it all at once on Monday, I am NOT eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver. This is because we originally had booked a cruise in December on the Dream. And I had a deposit on that cruise, and the cruise line rolled the credit from my deposit on to the new booking. So according to ARCH, my 14 day "clock" starts ticking from when I originally put the deposit on that other cruise, even though that booking was for a different destination and a different date and was cancelled.

So I'm also guessing that we couldn't get the pre existing condition waiver if we had phantom booked a cruise when we were on our last cruise (which we didn't do). How is everyone getting around this type of thing? The DCL insurance is looking better now if we can't get the pre-existing condition covered. At least that way we'd be able to book another cruise if something happens.

Also, what happens if you have already paid for shore excursions when you use DCL's insurance? I'm guessing if they didn't include it in the original quote then your out of luck??
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #56
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!
 
DMRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 12,866

I used to use insuremytrip, but once I started going to the individual companies, I discovered they were cheaper. We saved $75 by booking with CSA direct for a May land and cruise trip we are going on.
__________________


Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #57
bengals01
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 640

I have never bought insurance. I have cruised 41 times.
bengals01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #58
cheesekate2005
DIS Veteran
 
cheesekate2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,188

What happens if someone has like the flu or strep or something and is denied boarding at the port? I booked insurance through DCL (cruise in one week) and I am now worried that one of us will come down with a last minute illness (a bit paranoid, huh?)
cheesekate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!
 
DMRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 12,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals01 View Post
I have never bought insurance. I have cruised 41 times.
It only takes one incident to wipe out all the savings, from not buying insurance. One time of one of us getting sick enough that the ship's doc decides a hospital visit is needed, would mean some pretty hefty last minute air to get home. Last minute airfare is a real killer. So are hotel bills, if a spouse wants to stay near a sick person, or a mom a child. And if it's the begining or even the middle of a cruise, it's nice to get the balance refunded. So many things could go wrong, and as we were just saying last night, when I was complaining about the price of the insurance, I'd rather be complaining at this end, than crying at the other, if we didn't have insurance.
But it's a choice and one you are comfortable with, and I hope your luck doesn't run out.
__________________


Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #60
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckent View Post
I might be totally missing the point on something in this thread, but it sounds like people think Disney's insurance not starting until the PIF date is bad? I don't really get that. Isn't true that if you have/want to cancel your trip before PIF date you can get your money back?
Yes, that is true. However, something can happen before the PIF date that does not cause you to cancel your cruise. If a complication from that now PEC occurs after the PIF date that does cause you to cancel the cruise that's where the issue would be a problem because it would not be covered. For example, take a new diagnosis of a medical condition like asthma, a heart attack or a stroke. A cruise on 6/26/12 is booked on opening day 10/20/10 and you do not purchase insurance at that time. Final payment is due 3/26/12 [I know this is not the correct date but just for the example].

On 6/1/11 you are diagnosed with asthma or have a heart attack/stroke. The cruise is over a year out and you don't have to cancel it at this point. Treatment is received and now the doctor is monitoring you for that condition on a continuing basis with medication adjustments being made as needed. Final payment is made on 3/26/12 and your insurance policy through DCL is purchased and effective. On 6/20/12 you again have a problem with the same condition that requires medical treatment. Your are not able to cruise due to complications. This condition is considered a PEC so it is not covered.

As pointed out earlier treatment onboard and evacuation can be expensive. Say you had this reoccurance of the problem happen onboard the ship as well and it is a PEC. Those treatment costs are not covered either and that is not something that DCL is even going to consider reimbursing you for.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: