Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #31
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Don't panic. You still have time to get insurance that will cover a PEC. Traveler's has a policy that I have heard here covers them. You will pay a bit more but you can get insurance for his condition. I would actually call the companies directly though and not go through a website that deals with several. They will be able to answer your specific questions regarding your family's circumstances and anything that might be needed to care for your son. You would get the policy for your family which would include the cost of both rooms. Have a list of questions when you call.

This is the link to an old insurance booklet. Page 15 has the PEC exclusion information. The coverage for emergency medical care is also limited to $30,000 per person. The limits for other things is on page 4.

http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/m...nInsurance.pdf
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #32
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

I am shopping elsewhere for insurance for our vacation this summer because I want ONE policy to cover everything. We're doing a Med cruise AND adding time on land before & after in Paris & Barcelona. I booked our own airfare so I want to insure hotels, air & cruise. DCL's insurance is only going to do the cruise portion.... I priced the DCL insurance just so I would know....it was like $100 more and it only covered the 7-nights of the cruise. I can insure the entire 15 night trip including the air for closer to $300....

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #33
ddeal1957
Mouseketeer

I've had no problems with DCL insurance

My sister and I had to cancel a trip last fall due to a family illness. DCL insurance handled everything without really asking too many questions. That was the 1st time I took out trip insurance and will continue to purchase it from now on!
ddeal1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #34
seethruguy
Mouseketeer

I went with *****************

I paid a little less than the DCL insurance. My DD does have a pre existing condition that I am concerned about. The biggest concern was having the airfare covered. Booking the air through Disney was crazy expensive. We are sailing the last week of August so it is hurricane season. My understanding if the ship can't get back to Cape Canaveral and had to return to New Orleans for example, I would be on my own to get back home. Buying 4 tickets last minute could be really expensive.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #35
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklamomof4boys View Post
I am now confused- and starting to panic. I want to make sure I am understanding everything right. We have our trip insurance through DCL. We booked over a year ago but won't make our final payment until March 5th. So we can cancel our trip insurance with DCL and get it with another company if we do it before March 5th, right? My son has a heart condition- am I understanding correctly that if something happens with his heart and he can't travel that it won't be covered? Also if something happens with his heart and he has to be flown somewhere when we are on the cruise, his medical expenses won't be covered? Since we are driving, if we have an accident on the way, we won't be covered? If we can't get a refund because of some of these circumstances, will they credit us towards another trip or do we get nothing since it is a pre-existing condition?

I am thinking we really need to get trip insurance the covers pre-existing conditions. I know there are some if you get it within 14 days of deposit, but are there some that I could get now that would cover pre-existing conditions? Also, we are a family of 6 in 2 connecting rooms. I am in one room with 2 boys and my husband is in the other with the other boys. If something happens to one of us and we can't go and it is covered by the trip insurance, will it cover only the people in the same room or will it cover both rooms? Because if there is no way half of us are going without the other half
If I understand this correctly, (and I would call the insurer and MAKE SURE! I don't want to be responsible for leading your wrong) you can still get this policy with a pre-existing conditions waiver:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

I would strongly recommend, if your child has a heart condition, that you not use Disney's if you are able to get insurance for the pre-existing condition.
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #36
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklamomof4boys View Post
I am now confused- and starting to panic. I want to make sure I am understanding everything right. We have our trip insurance through DCL. We booked over a year ago but won't make our final payment until March 5th. So we can cancel our trip insurance with DCL and get it with another company if we do it before March 5th, right? My son has a heart condition- am I understanding correctly that if something happens with his heart and he can't travel that it won't be covered? Also if something happens with his heart and he has to be flown somewhere when we are on the cruise, his medical expenses won't be covered? Since we are driving, if we have an accident on the way, we won't be covered? If we can't get a refund because of some of these circumstances, will they credit us towards another trip or do we get nothing since it is a pre-existing condition?

I am thinking we really need to get trip insurance the covers pre-existing conditions. I know there are some if you get it within 14 days of deposit, but are there some that I could get now that would cover pre-existing conditions? Also, we are a family of 6 in 2 connecting rooms. I am in one room with 2 boys and my husband is in the other with the other boys. If something happens to one of us and we can't go and it is covered by the trip insurance, will it cover only the people in the same room or will it cover both rooms? Because if there is no way half of us are going without the other half
HTH Worldwide (sold at ***************** or their own website) sells a couple of policies where, if you purchase within 24 hours of your final trip payment, you can get a pre-existing condition waiver. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but you *can* get the waiver. But you still want to call them and make sure that the waiver would cover your son's condition. Just to be on the safe side.

Yes, you can cancel the DCL insurance up until the PIF date.

Yes, if your son has a heart condition that is not "stable" at the time the insurance is purchased (and within the insurance company's look-back period, generally 60 to 180 days) then his expenses, etc, would not be covered unless you had a pre-existing condition waiver. Neither would yours if you canceled because of him.

Also check with the insurance company, because many (most) will cover travel companions, but you have to find out specifically what they consider to be travel companions. Each company is different.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #37
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

There are also policies with "cancel for any reason" clauses. Again, they are probably more expensive than other policies... but then you don't have to worry about which reasons are covered.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #38
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

WE use Travel Guard. They do have a cancel for any reason policy. I think it added $50 to the policy last trip. We like it because it covers everything. The htoels, flights, cruise tickets...everything. And kids are free.
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #39
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
HTH Worldwide (sold at ***************** or their own website) sells a couple of policies where, if you purchase within 24 hours of your final trip payment, you can get a pre-existing condition waiver. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but you *can* get the waiver. But you still want to call them and make sure that the waiver would cover your son's condition. Just to be on the safe side.
CSA is another company that has the waiver of pre-existing conditions as long as it is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment.

When I'm pretty sure about a trip, I usually buy the insurance within the time period to get the waiver of pre-existing conditions. When I'm not sure I'll actually go on the cruise, I wait until later to buy insurance.

For those of you who book "dummy dates" while on a DCL cruise with the intention of changing to a different date - your first trip payment starts the clock running for purposes of covering pre-existing conditions.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #40
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

I bought DCL's trip insurance for our upcoming Med cruise. It was cheaper, although it didn't cover pre-existing conditions. I thought it was a fair price, and DCL will let you book another cruise in the future if there are conditions not covered by them.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #41
godalejunior
DIS Veteran

A few of you have noted names of travel insurance companies that you are happy with their policy...can you post the names of the company you are using? Im going to do some shopping today. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #42
Doinitwell
Feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by godalejunior View Post
A few of you have noted names of travel insurance companies that you are happy with their policy...can you post the names of the company you are using? Im going to do some shopping today. Thanks!
www.*****************. This site, which I learned about from a consumer advice radio talk show, offers travel insurance from a number of leading companies. On the site you can compare companies side-by-side. I have used the site several times to buy travel insurance.
Doinitwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #43
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I'm now more confused than ever on whether I'm a dummy.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #44
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I have to say, I'm now more confused than ever on whether I'm a dummy.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #45
Bethshaya
Mouseketeer

We purchased, as did all the staterooms on our reservation for our cruise in Oct. It will be our wedding cruise and we have lots of family coming.

That said, we also have one who will be timing their military leave from Afghanistan during that time, and knowing the military and world events, it is possible that he cannot get to take the leave at that time. I also have several "older" family members coming, and you just never know what might happen.

I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: