Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
DCL Repeaters
DCL addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
1. DCL's coverages are low and the price is high
2. DCL's insurance doesn't cover flights unless booked through DCL
3. DCL's insurance has no waiver of pre-existing conditions
4. If I have to cancel my cruise, I want my money back and not a credit for a future Disney cruise

DCL will let you cancel for ANY reason and keep the credit towards a future cruise. You would still have to go through the process of submitting a claim to have it denied.
DCL Repeaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
spaddy
I swear he would make us ride that over and over

I think the pricing depends on a lot of factor. I am going on a cruise with my mother in law and bought my own insurance but used Disney for her insurance. My insurance was much cheaper because I am young. If you are over 60 or especially over 70 I found the pricing on buying insurance outside of Disney to be quite high.
spaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Access America, which is the company that DCL uses for their insurance, has a program where kids are covered for free...which is not available on their website. If you didn't know about it you would miss it. I have always called them for it and it has a much lower cost than DCL's insurance. Other companies have the same kind of programs available but you have to call most of them. Last cruise DS was confined to the stateroom for pink eye. The claim has already been started. We will be reimbursed for the cost of that one day of the cruise for him as well as one adult since he is a minor. We will also be reimbursed for anything that our health insurance does not cover for the cost of the doctor visit and medication.

For example, I just checked for our MV cruise next year on the Fantasy. The cost to insure JUST the cruise would cost me: $168.56 per person first 2 Guests per stateroom, $99.12 rest of Guests so a total of $535.36 for the four of us. I called Access America directly and told them I wanted their kids free plan that we always get. We will be covered for everything from the time we leave the house to drive to FL, our time in WDW, the cruise and our drive home up to a cost of $8000 for a total of $188.00. That is a savings of $347.36.

The major thing with DCL's insurance is that the time they don't purchase the policy for you until your final payment is made. With my AA policy purchased and covering us now anything that happens to anyone in my family between now and 12/17/11 when the final payment is due will be covered by the insurance because it is not going to be considered a PEC. Purchasing the policy within 14 days of booking the cruise eliminates that concern completely since it doesn't have a PEC clause in that timeframe.

If I purchased DCL insurance there would not be a policy in effect for me until 12/17/11 so whatever happens between now and then would be considered a pre-existing condition. My DD was diagnosed with asthma last June. If that happened this June it would not be a PEC with my AA policy but it would be with DCL's policy. This would apply to heart ailments, accidents with injuries, cancer or anything else.

Another thing they don't tell you is that the PEC thing applies to family members that are not even going with you on the cruise.

Regarding that statement on the inside cover of the insurance folder -- it sounds nice but I know the grief someone went through after they had to cancel due to her husband's health a couple weeks before the cruise and he in fact died while we were on the cruise. The DCL insurance denied her because his condition was PE from the time of the final payment, but not from the date she booked the cruise and she *thought* that she had also purchased travel insurance. DCL told her they would not transfer her reservation to a different cruise because he had a PEC. He was never booked on the cruise, just her. Her TA had to fight with DCL to get them to do this. Things aren't always as easy as they sound like they will be on paper.

Last edited by lbgraves; 02-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
lbgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
call me a dummy as well ... I automatically added the DCL ins on without even thinking of shopping around ... perhaps in the future
You can cancel the insurance part of your reservation with DCL at any time before the final payment is made since the policy has not been purchased yet. Many people have done this. You are not charged a cancellation fee for doing this.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I don't get it, it sounds like DCL doesn't cover anything but all other insurances do. Has anybody actually been paidout on DCL insurance?

I'm assuming it's too late for me to make a switch if I had to... eventhough my trip is 17 months away.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
You can cancel the insurance part of your reservation with DCL at any time before the final payment is made since the policy has not been purchased yet. Many people have done this. You are not charged a cancellation fee for doing this.
You treed me!!

However, not what we are beyond the 10 or 14 days from booking wouldn't the prices at other insurances go up?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #22
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

I was able to get a Cancel for Any Reason 100% full refund policy (not credit to use toward another cruise) for $112 compared to the $305 that DCL offered. Less coverage for more money to use DCL insurance for my case. It was an easy decision for me.

BTW, I used squaremouth.com for my June 2012 trip. I found this provider on these boards. Thanks, Disboards!
Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
lbgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I don't get it, it sounds like DCL doesn't cover anything but all other insurances do. Has anybody actually been paidout on DCL insurance?

I'm assuming it's too late for me to make a switch if I had to... eventhough my trip is 17 months away.
DCL coverage will cover for problems onboard such as if you are confined to your room due to illness and it is ordered by the ship's doctor. It will not cover for anything to do with your travel to the port that might delay you from getting on the ship in time if you don't book a flight through DCL. We drive to FL so we would be out of luck if there was an accident or bad weather that caused us to be late. The big thing I learned about was the PEC condition and that it didn't start until the final payment due date with DCL's policy. Life is just too unpredictable for me and with two young kids anything can happen so it doesn't work for all of our "what ifs". You can't protect yourself from all the "what ifs" in life but I feel like I am covering us one way that I can so we aren't out $1000s if it didn't need to happen.

Quote:
You treed me!!

However, not what we are beyond the 10 or 14 days from booking wouldn't the prices at other insurances go up?
For the PC repo cruise I didn't get the insurance until after I had made our final payment. It is the same price no matter when you book it. The only difference is that the PEC clause is waived for policies purchased within 14 days. You will get the same price either way, at least that was the case for us with AA booked directly. The price is based on the age of the people booking at the time you purchase the insurance and the total cost of your trip. You basically purchase blocks of insurance. The cost for next year's trip will be around $6500 in nonrefundable deposits and hotel rooms. The agent told me that we would be covered up to a total of $8000 because that is the range we fell in.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

A) You are never stupid to buy Trip Insurance. ANY insurance is better than none. DCL's policy is not a bad policy. It's just that you can get better policies, with better coverage, and pre-existing condition waivers, usually for a lot less, from outside insurance companies.

B) NancyIL has alread explained why outside insurance can be better than DCL's.

C) DCL's insurance is good if all you are worried about is either getting the cost of the cruise back (or future credited) or covering medical expenses while on the cruise. If you book your flights through DCL, then that's also covered, which is great. But if you don't book the airfare through them, there's a lot of holes in what's covered.

D) If you are looking to get your money back on a cruise, and are not interested in a future cruise credit with DCL, then DCL's insurance is not a wise purchase.

E) Pre-existing condition waivers really only matter if you buy outside insurance OR you bought DCL insurance and don't want a cruise credit. If you buy DCL insurance, if your claim is denied by the insurance company (which it will be for a pre-existing condition) you will get a credit from DCL for 100% of whatever is non-refundable at the time you cancel. So if that's all you care about (getting the credit) you are good to go.

F) Some of what is covered while you are actually *ON* the cruise (like medical coverage) generally has lower bayback limits on the DCL insurance than on comparable outside policies.

G) *LOTS* of people have actually been paid, or gotten future cruise credits from DCL's insurance.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
smwg
Earning My Ears

I had to cancel our Disney cruise back in October due to my daughter getting sick and having to be hospitalized. She was released from the hospital prior to the cruise but not physically able to go.

We had the DCL insurance and although I felt as if I were faxing a book of forms, doctor's notes, and hospital reports, what DCL did not refund (which was half of what we paid), the DCL insurance refunded the rest (less the cost of the insurance, of course). So, I was completely reimbursed either by the cruise line or the insurance. Was it a head ache? A little, but overall not too bad and I had received all my money back within a couple of weeks and was just so very thankful I had the insurance!

We booked a new cruise and are leaving tomorrow for a Sunday departure! YAY!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #26
kimistry6
DIS Veteran

This will be our first cruise and when we booked through DCL we honestly didn't know we had options on travel insurance. We bought the DCL one for this cruise. I know we can get it cheaper and next time around I will try pricing through other companies. I consider this kinda like a lesson learned for next time.
kimistry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Jeeesh, reading some of the threads I now feel like I've been taken because I opted to use DCL trip insurance. Is it really the worst on earth? I mean, I did look into the other sites people are recommending, but kept coming back to the point that if for some reason we cancel I can atleast transfer that money to a future cruise. And the insurance didn't seem all that much different on things covered. So what am I missing, why are people making me feel like a fool for choosing DCL trip insurance?

We are cruising the Disney Dream in June of 2012 with the podcasters.
I don't think you need to feel like a fool--the very fact that you purchased cruise insurance shows that you are trying to be a responsible person. In all likelihood, you won't need the cruise insurance at all, so it will be a moot point. Don't kick yourself for what is already done.

If you don't have a pre-existing condition, their insurance should be absolutely fine. You shouldn't feel taken.

The reason I did not purchase DCL insurance is I have cancer, my husband has a severe heart condition, and my daughter, unforunately, has hypertension at the ripe old age of 14. All of these could be considered pre-existing conditions, and DCL does not insure pre-existing conditions. I have a terrible fear of my husband (or worse, my daughter), having a heart attack, needing to be evacuated off the ship, and then, while we're trying to deal with their recovery and trying to get them better, being stuck with a huge bill for the evacuation and adding extra stress.

Thankfully, we've all been healthy enough to travel for the past year, and we are hopeful that nothing will go wrong before our cruise, but we've had enough bad, scary, surprising things happen that we try to make sure we're covered against the worst exposures, and Disney insurance would not allow us to do that.
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
*WDW*Groupie*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
A)

C) DCL's insurance is good if all you are worried about is either getting the cost of the cruise back (or future credited) or covering medical expenses while on the cruise. If you book your flights through DCL, then that's also covered, which is great. But if you don't book the airfare through them, there's a lot of holes in what's covered.

E) Pre-existing condition waivers really only matter if you buy outside insurance OR you bought DCL insurance and don't want a cruise credit. If you buy DCL insurance, if your claim is denied by the insurance company (which it will be for a pre-existing condition) you will get a credit from DCL for 100% of whatever is non-refundable at the time you cancel. So if that's all you care about (getting the credit) you are good to go.

Sayhello
Thanks for your input Sayhello. I have been very worried about our Dream cruise next week as my dad is not well. I had no idea about the PEC clause weaving together with the PIF date. I included the insurance for the cruise next week when we booked in August, long before he was in the hospital. However the PIF date was December and he was in the hospital at that time.

In any case, if we have to cancel our February 20th cruise I can use the $ towards our June Med cruise.

To be honest at this point I really don't know if we will be able to go. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him while we were in the Bahamas or on Castaway. I need to be able to get on a plane at any time and being on a cruise doesn't fit that criteria. I don't know what to do.

I did book the DCL insurance for both cruises as it is the easiest option for me (in a very stressful situation you need to have confidence in your insurance company). I would hope that if something did happen they would stand by their own insurance. With another company it could be a battle, depending on the circumstances. I personally feel safer with DCL insurance as well.

*WDW*Groupie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
3. Don't you have to purchase the coverage of existing conditions if you choose a 3rd party company? Does that take it over the cost of DCL pricing? I'm not sure what they can get any of my family on in regards to pre-existing conditions? I suppose any thing that occurs could be considered a pre-existing condition and every claim could be denied. Has there been a problem with them denying lots of claims?
It depends on the policy. The policy we bought waives the pre-existing condition clause if you purchase it within 14 days of making your initial payment.

When I read reviews of various brands of travel insurance, most of the complaints (and all companies had some) seemed to be focussed around pre-existing conditions exclusions. Apparently, the companies denied claims due to pre-existing conditions that the purchasers do not feel are preexisting. (I do have some pre-existing conditions, so I wanted to make sure the insurance we bought does not have that loophole.)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #30
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

I am now confused- and starting to panic. I want to make sure I am understanding everything right. We have our trip insurance through DCL. We booked over a year ago but won't make our final payment until March 5th. So we can cancel our trip insurance with DCL and get it with another company if we do it before March 5th, right? My son has a heart condition- am I understanding correctly that if something happens with his heart and he can't travel that it won't be covered? Also if something happens with his heart and he has to be flown somewhere when we are on the cruise, his medical expenses won't be covered? Since we are driving, if we have an accident on the way, we won't be covered? If we can't get a refund because of some of these circumstances, will they credit us towards another trip or do we get nothing since it is a pre-existing condition?

I am thinking we really need to get trip insurance the covers pre-existing conditions. I know there are some if you get it within 14 days of deposit, but are there some that I could get now that would cover pre-existing conditions? Also, we are a family of 6 in 2 connecting rooms. I am in one room with 2 boys and my husband is in the other with the other boys. If something happens to one of us and we can't go and it is covered by the trip insurance, will it cover only the people in the same room or will it cover both rooms? Because if there is no way half of us are going without the other half

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
oklamomof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: