Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #136
KevieKev05
DIS Veteran

DAY 4 - February 6th, 2011 - Port Canaveral

The alarm went off at 7:15. Much too early for my liking! We showered real quick and gathered up our last few things before heading out the door at roughly 7:35. Since we bought Vinylmations, the picture, and other various things (some breakable), we ended up filling a suitcase of those things to take off the ship ourselves. So, with our suitcase, and other various bags, we made our way down to the Enchanted Garden for our final meal of the cruise.

A line had formed, so we got in line and waited for them to open the doors. Our breakfast was scheduled for 7:45 and the doors opened at about that time. We found our table (having not eaten here the previous night, so we didn’t know where it was exactly. Thankfully, we saw our tablemates which made it easier, haha) and set all our stuff down on the empty chairs. We weren’t too hungry, so we just ordered cereal. It was brought promptly and we ate it while our tablemates were waiting for their hot food. We were actually done before their food arrived, so we said our goodbyes and headed on out.

Upstairs we went to get off the ship. What a sad moment! After dropping off the survey in the box, we found our way onto the walkway to the terminal. There was hardly any line at this point. They swiped our KTTW cards, and then we took the escalator downstairs to the luggage area. We quickly found our luggage and made our way into the quite large line to get through customs. Thankfully, this line moved fast, so we were only in line for about 5 minutes.

After getting through customs without an issue, we walked over to the parking garage. We loaded up the car, and made our way out of the garage and paid our parking fee. At this point, it wasn’t even 8:30 yet. Not too bad! We had an eventful drive home and I guess that ends our trip! It went by so fast!

Here’s a couple pictures of some of our DCL merchandise in our living room:

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Wow. It truly was an AMAZING cruise. We are completely in love with the Dream! The ship is HUGE, especially compared to the Magic/Wonder. We definitely noticed how much more walking we did on this ship than the others. The atrium is absolutely gorgeous. It’s so big and spacious! Definitely a great first impression. I love the adult area with all the little clubs/lounges. The Midship Detective Agency is a fun game that allows you to explore the ship! Both the Walt Disney Theatre and the Buena Vista Theater are VERY well done. The thing I love MOST about the Buena Vista Theater is the additional leg room that isn’t found on the Magic/Wonder. The shopping area on the Dream is truly laid out very nicely. They definitely learned from the Magic/Wonder and improved upon those designs for the Dream. Well done, Disney! The AquaDuck is a lot of fun as is the mini golf course. All the decor around the ship is wonderful. There was so much to see and look at! We liked the design of the staterooms. Cabanas? Absolutely LOVED it. It takes some getting used to, but once guests figure it out it works great. So big and spacious compared to Topsiders/Beach Blanket! One thing I did like about Cabanas is the fact that the aft elevator/stairwell forces you to have to walk THROUGH the restaurant to get to the open deck. Definitely a bad design I feel. Also, the layout of the Quiet Cove adult pool was less than stellar. Small pool, the design of the area limits the amount of sunlight to hit the pool, and there’s a limited number of chairs on the pool level. Regarding the restaurants, they were all themed wonderfully! The one that I found the most lackluster, though, was Enchanted Garden. Kind of blah. Royal Palace definitely has a regal/elegant look to it and Animator’s Palate is whimsical and fun. I didn’t think I would enjoy the “new” Animator’s Palate but I fell in love. It’s definitely Pixar HEAVY, but what can you do. Palo was superb in all aspects. And Remy looked so elegant. In respect to the food on the Dream, it is quite comparable to the Magic/Wonder. Not overly amazing, but not awful by any means. I didn’t go hungry, that’s for sure! Gosh, I really don’t know what else to say! If anyone has any specific questions, please ask away!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this trip report! I hope it helps in your planning process, or helps relive your experience! I can’t wait to get back on the Dream in December. I must say, though...it’ll be pretty hard spending 14 nights on the Magic coming up! That’s ok...it’ll be nice to go back on the ship where it all started for me!

Keep the questions/comments coming! We're making a road trip up north tonight (a 24-hour drive), so I might be a little delayed getting back to everyone.
January 21, 2011: 2-night Disney Dream (Benefit Preview Cruise) / February 3, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream - TRIP REPORT
May 14, 2011: 14-night Disney Magic (Eastbound Transatlantic) - TRIP REPORT / November 17, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream - TRIP REPORT
December 8, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream / July 28, 2012: 7-night Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean)
September 7, 2012: 5-night Disney Magic (Canada/New England Coast) / December 6, 2012: 3-night Disney Dream
May 6, 2013: 14-night Disney Wonder (Westbound Panama Canal) / December 13, 2013: 5-night Disney Magic (Western Caribbean)
April 5, 2014: 7-night Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean) / September 1, 2014: 7-night Disney Wonder (Alaska)

KevieKev05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #137
Never to old
DIS Veteran

KevieKev05

I will be sailing on the Dream in 7 days. Thank you so much for the wonderful trip report and all the great pics. It was alot of fun to read about your experiences. Your trip report was so good that I stopped looking at other ones. Kinda sad that it had to come to an end. I look forward to seeing future trip reports from you. Any chance you are going to Alaska???
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #138
KarlaG4Kids
I LOVE to travel
Two votes from our house!

I hope it isn't too rude to ask, but how much do the steel Mickey ears cost. I would love to get that piece of art and I want to budget for it! If you would rather not answer I understand.

Your trip report was magical. I'm so excited reading it and anticipating our cruise in May. Thanks for taking time to share with us.
05/12/14 35th Anniversary trip12/2/13 Christmas fun5/18/13 Fantasy Cruise w/whole family! 5/1/12 Our WDW trip with Abby & Cameron & DREAM cruise w/entire family!05/07/11 Grosdidier WDW & Dream 01/06/10 Marathon trip w C&C 09/12/09 01/28/09 DL 1st trip 09/20/08 01/11/08 08/26/07 12/11/06 09/25/06 01/11/06 02/2005 09/2004 12/2002 05/2002 01/2001 03/1999 01/1997 03/17/1995 - FT Wilderness, The trip that began it all! Each time I arrive at WDW I know that I am HOME! A vacation is one of the best investments in your family!
KarlaG4Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #139
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

KevieKev05, as a family of first-time cruisers planning a 3-night on the Dream in August, I have many questions. But the most pressing is a question from our three boys: Does the Disney Dream have vinylmation trading available? This is the very first question the boys asked about the cruise as we left WDW last month, and I thought (given your interest in vinylmation) you might know!

Really enjoying your report! Thanks!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/???)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #140
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Thanks again for taking the time to share the magic with us!

I didn't realize the parking garage was open now so that's another bonus for us after dealing with the construction for quite awhile!

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #141
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing your experiences! As I am considering a DCL vacation in '12 every trip report is appreciated
Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #142
GoofTroop716
Mouseketeer

Kevin, thanks again for your wonderful report!
My family and I have truly enjoyed reading your witty narratives and looking at the pictures you shared from this trip. We are waiting impatiently for our 1st ride on the Dream which will come in September on the DVC cruise. Thanks to your report, we all have our own little lists of things we would like to check out and taste/drink while onboard!

GoofTroop716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #143
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

thanks for the report! i loved it!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #145
Dixielady908
Grandma's Little Princess

Loved your trip report and your pictures were great....thanks for sharing
this really makes me excited to see this ship in person.
1978 Contemporary Resort - 1979 Contemporary Resort - 1990 Off site - 1997 Dixielandings - 2000 - Port Orleans - Riverside 2004 - Port Orleans - Riverside - 2006 - Disney Magic - Eastern 2007 - Pop Century - 2008 - Disney Magic - Western 2011 - Disney Magic Western-turned into a Eastern - 2013 - Disney Fantasy - Western - 2014 - Disney Parks - 2015 - Disney Wonder - Alaska

Denise
Nanaheads Rule
Dixielady908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #146
kelly1275
Earning My Ears

I feel like i was just on the ship with you! Thanks so much for the awesome journey I took tonight! Can't wait for our own journey next March for our first cruise ever. After reading your report and looking at the pics i'm more than ready to go now, again bless you for reporting all that you did
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #147
5forDis
Mouseketeer

Great trip report---love the pics and the writing! We are trying to figure out if we are going on a Disney Cruise. I hope your road trip is safe!
5forDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #148
KevieKev05
DIS Veteran

We made it safe and sound last night...what a long drive, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
I will be sailing on the Dream in 7 days. Thank you so much for the wonderful trip report and all the great pics. It was alot of fun to read about your experiences. Your trip report was so good that I stopped looking at other ones. Kinda sad that it had to come to an end. I look forward to seeing future trip reports from you. Any chance you are going to Alaska???
We want to go to Alaska very badly, but we don't have anything planned. I'm hoping that changes, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaG4Kids View Post
I hope it isn't too rude to ask, but how much do the steel Mickey ears cost. I would love to get that piece of art and I want to budget for it! If you would rather not answer I understand.

Your trip report was magical. I'm so excited reading it and anticipating our cruise in May. Thanks for taking time to share with us.
The Mickey steel cut cost $300. And I'm glad you enjoyed the report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
KevieKev05, as a family of first-time cruisers planning a 3-night on the Dream in August, I have many questions. But the most pressing is a question from our three boys: Does the Disney Dream have vinylmation trading available? This is the very first question the boys asked about the cruise as we left WDW last month, and I thought (given your interest in vinylmation) you might know!

Really enjoying your report! Thanks!
Yes, they do offer Vinylmation trading onboard! Well, at least I saw the big black box with numbers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
Thanks again for taking the time to share the magic with us!

I didn't realize the parking garage was open now so that's another bonus for us after dealing with the construction for quite awhile!
You're very welcome! And yes, the parking garage is wonderful...not sure what the deal is with the walkway from the garage to the terminal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experiences! As I am considering a DCL vacation in '12 every trip report is appreciated
I'm glad I could help out! We LOVE DCL! (Clearly, haha.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofTroop716 View Post
Kevin, thanks again for your wonderful report!
My family and I have truly enjoyed reading your witty narratives and looking at the pictures you shared from this trip. We are waiting impatiently for our 1st ride on the Dream which will come in September on the DVC cruise. Thanks to your report, we all have our own little lists of things we would like to check out and taste/drink while onboard!
Thank you so much for the compliments! You guys will have an awesome time! Happy planning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
thanks for the report! i loved it!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Thanks so much for sharing!!!
My pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixielady908 View Post
Loved your trip report and your pictures were great....thanks for sharing
this really makes me excited to see this ship in person.
No problem! The ship is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1275 View Post
I feel like i was just on the ship with you! Thanks so much for the awesome journey I took tonight! Can't wait for our own journey next March for our first cruise ever. After reading your report and looking at the pics i'm more than ready to go now, again bless you for reporting all that you did
It was my pleasure! I can't wait to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5forDis View Post
Great trip report---love the pics and the writing! We are trying to figure out if we are going on a Disney Cruise. I hope your road trip is safe!
Thank you!!! I'm all for Disney cruises, so I say GO, GO, GO!

Again, thanks for all the comments and questions! It was so much fun writing this trip report for everyone!
January 21, 2011: 2-night Disney Dream (Benefit Preview Cruise) / February 3, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream - TRIP REPORT
May 14, 2011: 14-night Disney Magic (Eastbound Transatlantic) - TRIP REPORT / November 17, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream - TRIP REPORT
December 8, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream / July 28, 2012: 7-night Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean)
September 7, 2012: 5-night Disney Magic (Canada/New England Coast) / December 6, 2012: 3-night Disney Dream
May 6, 2013: 14-night Disney Wonder (Westbound Panama Canal) / December 13, 2013: 5-night Disney Magic (Western Caribbean)
April 5, 2014: 7-night Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean) / September 1, 2014: 7-night Disney Wonder (Alaska)

KevieKev05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #149
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your TR! It makes me excited to go!

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #150
nhdisnut
My screen name says it all!!

The BEST trip report I have read to date! Thanks so much for posting all of the pictures! Some unique view that I have not seen before.

You have inspired me to try Palo's on our upcoming 5-night cruise in August. I'm thinking of booking it on night four (if possible) so we have experienced all of the other restaurants first. Without knowing our dining rotation night 4 seems like the best bet.

Thanks again!
Off-site: 1987, 1991, 2000, 2002 2004: April POFQ & AKL 2005: April POR; June DVC Members - SSR! 2006: April SSR/AKL; Aug. BWV; Dec. AS Sports/SSR 2007: Feb. AKV owners!!; April POP, SSR & CSR; Aug. OKW2008: Jan. SSR & our 1st WDW Half-Marathon! April VWL & AKV; Aug. BWV Dec./Jan '08-09 POP, SSR, CBR2009: April POP & AKV Concierge!July POR2010: Feb ASMu, April AKV, July BLT & AKV, Oct AKV and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon! Dec SSR 2011: Feb. First trip to Disneyland!; April POP and off-site, Aug. AKV & Disney Dream! 2012: April POP, AKV & Disney Fantasy!, June POP & POR2013: Feb AKV & Disney Wonder (from Miami), August AKV, BCV & Disney Dream! 2014: Feb. Disney Magic & AKV, July CR & OKW2015: Feb. AKV & Disney Magic!
nhdisnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: