Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Magical Surprises & Moments for Gold CC Member – 9/4/11 Dream

My sixth cruise, DH’s fifth, and DD’s first (22 mo)
Also – MIL (82), nieces (7 & 5), and SIL/BIL

Pre-cruise at AKL in standard view room though we were placed in “standard” level partial-view room that was wonderful with great views of lots of animals! Used DCL transfers from resort to port and port to airport for the return home. Report time was 11:35 am in the Sunset Lounge and AKL departure was 11:50 am. We were at the port and in check-in by 1:15 pm.

This was a new cruise experience for us since we now have a daughter and also had other family members who were new on the cruise. We had planned this over three years ago for when my nieces would be old enough to remember it. I did all three rooms through on-board booking in 2008 with dummy dates and $100 OBC.

Our staterooms were three in a row at very aft including an H/A corner room (6186-6188-6190 – see stateroom reports).

Surprises of all sorts…

OBC: Now with the status levels, our OBC was magically bumped up to $150. My MIL’s was on her folio however, we had to notify Guest Services that my SIL’s needed to be posted. Check your folio if you’re due OBC!

Gold recognition: The usual CC gift, an extra gold gift, the OBC increase, complimentary facial (we turned it down), the party with a special guest and Captain Henry, and a $25 OBC for every $100 purchase in the gift shops (justified my Dooney wristlet!)

The amount of newbies in crew on board. I really shouldn’t be surprised but there were lots, and I feel the service was just a slight dip in level as a result.

Food quality was amazing including buffets where lots of options existed also. Palo is always on point but even the food in dining rooms and other areas was good. Nice big buffet for Pirate Night in Cabanas but we were stuffed from Palo.

Bummer surprise – Pirate Night…the fireworks were good but the “new” show and overall evening was just OK. Preferred the old format.

The ship doesn’t really seem all that overwhelming size-wise in public spaces. When you walk the stateroom corridors, however, that’s when it really seems long!

Seeing what everyone meant when saying sea days are SO crowded at the pool…they truly are! I have no idea what DCL was thinking in that design but we were really only spent time at the pool on Nassau day and we had one adult hot tub to ourselves late at night.

Our toddler loves to be in water and she enjoyed Nemo’s Reef but wanted to get in the pool. The slide at Nemo’s Reef is nice but too fast and can be dangerous – especially toddlers unless parents are at the top and bottom of the slide.

AquaDuck was awesome – best time to do it was late at night (especially the last night) when lines were short. Actually broke down after Pirate show; there was a long line and it was closed.

Shutters – bought the advance 10-credit package and really nice Shutters staff member told me to bump to the 20-credit package and I would just be charged the difference b/c I had selected more photos in straight cost than just bumping to the 20 pkg. Very nice and recognized the individual in comment card. I would do this again - just buy the 10-credit package in advance since that's the only way you can get that package then bump up if you find you like more pix.

Availability of WD theatre seats was plentiful even when arriving late

Nursery and Youth Counselors were truly excited and appreciative of all the candy, gum, and mini Oreo packs we left them. They told us they don’t get that appreciation too often, which is sad. We even made laminated cards with thank you for each of the six nursery staff with our daughter’s photo. Even though we paid for the hours, we were so appreciative of having nights to do adult things for even just a little bit.

The Cruise Staff did “If I Were Not Upon the Sea” the last night…a skit we always loved but heard it had been removed so we were excited to see it again!

Re-booking on board gets busier early in the cruise than previous ones for me. I put my info on a card in the drop box on Sunday night. When I stopped by Monday afternoon (after waiting about 10 min for one of the staff to become free), she had it already entered and finalized with her. They now promote this on one of the channels so do it early!

Stateroom surprises...no hairdryer - had to request it (my MIL never received hers after requesting one), relatively new CM for SR Host but nice, TONS of hangers in our room, more storage space than even we could ever fill, wave phones work better than SR main phone. Just make sure you pay attention to how to use them and constantly charge them.

What we did…sail-away party, main dining, late night hot-tubbing and AquaDuck, spent Nassau day on ship at pool, re-booked on board on Sunday/Monday, parasailing on CC (6th time), far end of family beach, Palo and chocolate soufflé, Princess gathering (had to get there an hour ahead of time so we only had a five-minute wait before it was our turn) – they are so good with the kids.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Jen

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83

Last edited by 2disneycruzrs; 09-11-2011 at 09:35 PM.
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
lornak
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great report! Can you tell me more about the offer for the free facial? I have never heard of this being offered!!
lornak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Since we're gold, the spa called on Nassau day and offered us complimentary 25-min facials. We didn't take them up on it but could have passed it on to my linked sailing party if they wanted it. It was very nice of them to do this but we passed. I spoke with a Platinum guest and they didn't get a call so not sure why it was offered to us.

PS - And I didn't book anything in the spa so it's not like they were rewarding me for spa usage and my status.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

The PC webcam is now re-airing your sailaway.

The webcam is down for maintenance.

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com/
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: