Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #46
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Nice. I have an Argoflex 75 TLR. It leans more to the toy camera end of things with it's non-adjustable settings and bakelite build. You want a slow camera.. The Kodak Brownie Hawkeye has a shutter speed of about 1/50. It gets fun when you're shooting moving subjects. I think I posted a shot of my kids further up the thread that's from the Brownie.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #47
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
Nice. I have an Argoflex 75 TLR. It leans more to the toy camera end of things with it's non-adjustable settings and bakelite build. You want a slow camera.. The Kodak Brownie Hawkeye has a shutter speed of about 1/50. It gets fun when you're shooting moving subjects. I think I posted a shot of my kids further up the thread that's from the Brownie.
Oooh! An Argoflex - I looked at one but got scared off by having to respool film for it.

1/50 on the Brownie? That makes my Ricohflex twice as fast .

I know what you mean on the moving subjects. A good chunk of my practice roll was with my daughter learning to ride her bike - lots of blurry stuff and a couple double exposures when I rushed to get a shot and forgot to advance the film.

I have to say I am somewhat surprised with how sharp the lens is in the Ricohflex -much sharper than I expected (but most of the medium format shots I have seen were Holga shots - not a fair comparison).

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #48
photo_chick

Yeah. The Holga has a cheap plastic lens, the film isn't held flush and many have a ton of light leaks so it makes for some funkiness and wicked vignetting. And every Holga is a little bit different. My Brownie has a plastic lens too but, motion blur aside, it's sharper than the Holga.

Re spooling film isn't that difficult once you do a few. Especially if you're experienced in the darkroom. Or you can buy it re spooled already from B&H and a few other places.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #49
Gdad
I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
Grain Grubbers arise again! I have now done 2 rolls of film with my "new" TLR (it was manufactured about 7 years before I was born):

How nice- congrats on the new camera. I have a 'Super' Ricohflex that looks very similar (it goes to 1/200!) but I've only used it a few times. I prefer my Yashica. I love the shots you got with it though!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #50
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdad View Post
How nice- congrats on the new camera. I have a 'Super' Ricohflex that looks very similar (it goes to 1/200!) but I've only used it a few times. I prefer my Yashica. I love the shots you got with it though!
Thanks! 1/200? That's too fast for me . I think the Super is about 2-3 years newer model than mine. I can see why you prefer the Yashica though, it's a bit more versatile than the Ricohflex.

I am having fun with this camera. Its very basic, but this has the advantage of making me think more about the shot (composition, light, exposure I want) which I believe will translate to a more thoughtful approach with my DSLR as well. My film days were primarily point and shoot, as was my early digital shooting. Now a lot of my shooting with my DSLR has been catching the action (i.e. kids). The instant feedback on a DSLR allows for mistakes to be made and corrected quicky, so you don't have to think too much ahead of the shot if you don't want too. Using this TLR is helping me train myself to take the time and be patient with the shot as I will only have the one chance. I am also starting to think "square" on the crop, which is a bit different as well.

My next quest is filters - I am on the prowl for series 6 drop in filters to use with the push on filter holder that came with the camera.

Here is another shot - we are experiencing major flooding up here, and this is a flooded creek where I usually bike over on my way yo work. The bridge is about 10-15 feet under the water right now.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #51
MrBurns
4096 miles from Mickey.

After a few years of using a Canon DSLR, I sold it and went back to my Canon SLR using the same lenses, shooting mainly black & white.
What I find with film versus digital is that you think of your composition, lighting, exposure and depth instead of just taking a trillion pictures "because it's free".
I love analog.
MrBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #52
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurns View Post
After a few years of using a Canon DSLR, I sold it and went back to my Canon SLR using the same lenses, shooting mainly black & white.
What I find with film versus digital is that you think of your composition, lighting, exposure and depth instead of just taking a trillion pictures "because it's free".
I love analog.
AMEN!

With only a limited number of shots you really have to make them count.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #53
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

Page 7? How time flies

Time for a bit of a bump. Some new shots from the Ricohflex from early June that I recenlty scanned. I am loving the cropping options when shooting medium format.

Some shots of a local bridge in the early evening using Fuji Reala 120 film (100 ISO).

Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #54
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

A bump and a Shot

Another from the Ricohlfex. A view of our Legislative Building, early evening shot on Fuji Reala 120 film (100 IS0). 1/100 at F11.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #55
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

Lomo time - Fisheye 2 in my back yard.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #56
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

Yikes!

This thread fell well off the radar! Hope to kick start it with a couple new shots taken with the Ricohflex TLR. These are some long exposures (papa got a brand newish light meter!) which are just scanned from 5x5 prints. I have not had a chance to scan the negatives yet, so hopefully these are ok. Both are in black and white (Ilford HPS4 120 ISO 125), and taken with a red filter on the taking lens (it drops about 2 and a bit stops of light).

Both were taken at the sculpture garden at our local park.

C'mon, there must be some film shooting going on out there! Anyone else have anything to share?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #57
photo_chick

Resurrecting a thread. It's been a while since we've seen any film.

This was shot with a Calumet 4x5 view camera in the studio. It was an exercise playing with the tilt, shift and swing to get as much of the ears on the plane of focus as possible.

Last edited by photo_chick; 05-09-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #58
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

Nice shot! I like it in black and white. So, did you acquire a 4x5 camera, or just had a chance to play with one? I had a chance to acquire one recently, but couldn't justify the purchase when some other unanticipated expenses arose.

And thanks for reviving the thread as I have a few more I can share:

Ricohflex Model VI, Ilford B&W 120 film, F8 for 2 "mississippis", scanned from a 5x5 print (too lazy to hook up the film scanner).

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #59
photo_chick

I have access to a 4x5 right now and am considering buying one soon. The first time I used the 4x5 I was just totally blown away by the resolution. We think these high megapixel digital cameras can capture so many details, but the full frame and smaller sensors still can't touch large format film.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #60
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears

That's why I am liking my old medium format TLR - the amount of resolution is great, especially off a film scan. There are some local photographers shooting 4x5 around here and the amount of detail they can get is phenomonal, especially when shooting cityscapes or from the air.

Got another one to share:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: