Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
laniers
Mouseketeer

Photographic Pet Peeves at Disney

Are there things that end up in your Disney photos that you just hate?

My pet peeve is that dang Tinkerbell cable attached to the castle. I personally try and take it out of any castle photos I get.
laniers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Garbage cans.

There is practically no spot anywhere in the theme parks for a scenic shot without a garbage can lurking somewhere in there!
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
Garbage cans.

There is practically no spot anywhere in the theme parks for a scenic shot without a garbage can lurking somewhere in there!
Yes! They are everywhere....hard to get good shots sometimes without them in the pics.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
Garbage cans.

The garbage cans are very annoying... but I guess they're better than actual trash on the ground in shots.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Terrible lighting (and design that skews lighting) for indoor character meet and greets. Especially Mickey in the MK. Even the Photopass photographs look bad with incorrect white balance.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniers View Post
Are there things that end up in your Disney photos that you just hate?

My pet peeve is that dang Tinkerbell cable attached to the castle. I personally try and take it out of any castle photos I get.
At least we don't still have the cake castle or the bling castle to ruin all family photos
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
Terrible lighting (and design that skews lighting) for indoor character meet and greets. Especially Mickey in the MK. Even the Photopass photographs look bad with incorrect white balance.
I totally agree with indoor lighting for character greets and meals. I had a nightmare of a time at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary. We were seated with a yellow wall in front of us that made for a horrifying time with WB. Why can't they take photography into consideration?
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I never got this, the Meet & Greets should be designed explicitly for photography, that's what they're basic function is! Maybe they don't hire actual lighting designers, and just rely on architects to do the lighting.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe it's not true across the board....but I've asked Photopass shooters on two separate occasions about their settings and both times they were totally uninformed and just had things set up for them on some basic settings that they really couldn't even articulate (and I didn't want to ask to see their camera).
Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Story Time with Belle is especially awful, even for the PhotoPass photos. I'm guessing they have some excuse in there, though, because the low blue lighting probably has something to do with the Lumier animatronic character.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
Maybe it's not true across the board....but I've asked Photopass shooters on two separate occasions about their settings and both times they were totally uninformed and just had things set up for them on some basic settings that they really couldn't even articulate (and I didn't want to ask to see their camera).
Someone posted that they are on strict orders to keep their D90's on Auto only, and if you hand them your D90 (if you have the same camera), you have to explicitly tell them to leave your settings because its an ingrained habit to check /switch back to Auto. (I don't think its a highly paid gig, so Disney would rather them concentrate on OK framing.

But yes, it's annoying they can't set a custom white balance like I can on my PnS.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
A lot of set ups like this want all of the cameras set exactly the same. Chain photo studios tend to do the same thing. It's supposed to promote continuity in the images. I have met a couple of photopass photographers who were actually knowledgable. It's unfortunate that they're not allowed to do their own thing when Disney hands them the camera.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
jimim
DIS Veteran

I spoke with one for a while in June at the HS monster's meet. He said they can only shoot in program mode and that's it. He said their images go off to a central location where they are checked to make sure nothing gets through that shouldn't and some basic things are applied to each image and that's it. I have my joe demb saucer on my camera and he said he wished he could use his bit they are not allowed to change anything on the camera. He was a great guy to talk with. Real nice.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Planning 2015 park/cruise trip for the 10th Anniversary

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Someone posted that they are on strict orders to keep their D90's on Auto only, and if you hand them your D90 (if you have the same camera), you have to explicitly tell them to leave your settings because its an ingrained habit to check /switch back to Auto. (I don't think its a highly paid gig, so Disney would rather them concentrate on OK framing.

But yes, it's annoying they can't set a custom white balance like I can on my PnS.
See now I was told they can I ly shoot on program.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Planning 2015 park/cruise trip for the 10th Anniversary

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I agree about the Meet and Greet places, so dimly lit and most of the photos I have taken there with a point and shoot seem dull.

Also, not the same thing, but I hate people using iPads to take photos or film shows. It's hard enough to get good 'over the crowd' photos without having a huge screen held at arms length above someones head to deal with too!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: