Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #46
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfreeksince88 View Post
You must not know who your asking that too.....
Wake the sleeping dog.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #47
Justin Jett

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
Admittedly, no. What am I missing?

And I'm not saying this guy is in the right at all, going.against Disney. Just replying to the people saying it was weird he looked for a group .

Just stating that if it were me, I'd look for support from an advocacy group. I wouldn't go up against anyone, actually, without. I don't know enough legally, or where disability laws are concerned.
Ok......I will be fair since it was a random pick. You kinda picked the one person that you should not have asked "Would you take on Disney.....?"

I am very well-known on the DIS and the "DIS Unplugged" podcast for speaking out AGAINST advocacy groups and individual who file ridiculous ADA and disability lawsuits against Disney.

Fast forward to the 8:58 mark of the March 25, 2009 podcast to get a taste of what I am talking about:

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/6/5/5/655b149...f&c_id=4575000

At least you did not mention the word "Segway."

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2302728

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2129173

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2351296

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2960760&page=3

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2518415

Disability Advocacy Groups need to leave Disney alone!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #48
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Ohhhh.

Wow.

Sorry!

I tend to stick to my own corners of safety around the DiS.

But hey. When I screw up, I guess I go all out, at least.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #49
Justin Jett

Quote:
Ohhhh.

Wow.

Sorry!

Not a problem at all. I apologize for my first response to you being snarky. I thought you were targeting me on purpose......which has happened in the past.

I'm really a nice guy.......until the "advocates" choose to question me. When that happens, the debate seems to last longer than the actual lawsuit.

You just poked the wrong dog, that's all.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #50
Justin Jett

In the spirit of the movie "Wargames," I am returning to DEFCON 5.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #51
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
In the spirit of the movie "Wargames," I am returning to DEFCON 5.
I promise I don't write these blog posts to start global thermonuclear war, well, not all of them. Come late March, I've been known to have delusions of grandeur.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #52
Justin Jett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I promise I don't write these blog posts to start global thermonuclear war, well, not all of them. Come late March, I've been known to have delusions of grandeur.
Jack my man,

Whenever I am quiet, you know just how to bring me out of hiding.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #53
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Looks like this man might have a case. He was stuck on IASW for 40 minutes and they were not able to evacuate him as he is in a wheelchair. I'd be interested to hear Disney's side, but they did not comment.

http://www.care2.com/causes/civil-ri...ll-world-ride/
Did this article mention the fact that the man had settled dozens of other ADA claims?

In my opinion, the plaintiff's disability isn't the point here. The point is whether Disney was in violation of ADA rules. There are plenty of people who are disabled in California who use the ADA laws to file lawsuits for a living. They sue, they get attorneys' fees pursuant to a statute, the owner of the property remedies the ADA violation, and the plaintiff & his attorneys get money.

I think it was a huge mistake to take on Disney.

Based on the DIS update (I did not read the actual pleadings), trial is set in early 2013 and the parties are in the middle of a Motion for Summary Judgment. If Disney isn't backing down at this point, I doubt that they will. They'll probably wait until the MSJ pans out to see what happens. If I were Disney's attorneys, I would make it a point to litigate this thing so that other people don't follow suit. There's nothing to prevent the ride from going down, and they can't afford every Tom, Dick & Harry to sue every time the ride does.

My opinion has nothing to do with whether the plaintiff is disabled. If he in fact declined medical services after he disembarked (which he did), then I don't see how he's claiming any damages. Asking Disney to remedy the violation, perhaps, asking for attorneys' fees, undoubtedly. But damages, I don't think so.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #54
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Ohhhh.

Wow.

Sorry!

No need to apologize as you did nothing wrong. Most people have a subject that they're passionate about; some discuss it in threads such as these.

I am glad that you chose to come here to share your opinions. Please keep doing so!

Looking forward to seeing you here more often,

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #55
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell*

No need to apologize as you did nothing wrong. Most people have a subject that they're passionate about; some discuss it in threads such as these.

I am glad that you chose to come here to share your opinions. Please keep doing so!

Looking forward to seeing you here more often,
Thanks.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #56
Justin Jett

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Ya think??????
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #57
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Ok first, let's state the obvious...
1) it's a boat ride.
2) boat rides are "mostly" surrounded by water..
3) removal of person in wheelchair in a boat surrounded by water is a very hard thing to do.

before i go further let me state i am a handicapped person who sometimes must rely on mobility equipment. so i can be biased :P
as a disabled person I have come to the realization that I won't be able to do things most people do (i can eat pixie stix a diabetic can't.. see it all balances out), and when i get on any ride or attraction, I also realize it's on me and i'm responsible for my own health.. I know what i'm capable and not capable of doing. this guy decided to get in a boat ride with a wheelchair.. I did it too, but I had the common sense to think "ok, chances are if something goes arye, it's going to be a piff to get me off, i'll have to suck it up and wait"
people like this gentleman disgust me, they are using their disability in a tainted manner that makes others like myself look to feel entitled and needy.
I hope he doesn't get 1 red cent.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #58
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Just an FYI... The Disneyland version of IASW is different than WDW. The boats float on a canal. The boats are surrounded by dry land most of the time, but at certain point you are elevated over the ground.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #59
Justin Jett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
Ok first, let's state the obvious...
1) it's a boat ride.
2) boat rides are "mostly" surrounded by water..
3) removal of person in wheelchair in a boat surrounded by water is a very hard thing to do.

before i go further let me state i am a handicapped person who sometimes must rely on mobility equipment. so i can be biased :P
as a disabled person I have come to the realization that I won't be able to do things most people do (i can eat pixie stix a diabetic can't.. see it all balances out), and when i get on any ride or attraction, I also realize it's on me and i'm responsible for my own health.. I know what i'm capable and not capable of doing. this guy decided to get in a boat ride with a wheelchair.. I did it too, but I had the common sense to think "ok, chances are if something goes arye, it's going to be a piff to get me off, i'll have to suck it up and wait"
people like this gentleman disgust me, they are using their disability in a tainted manner that makes others like myself look to feel entitled and needy.
I hope he doesn't get 1 red cent.
Well said!!!!! I 100% agree.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #60
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
Just an FYI... The Disneyland version of IASW is different than WDW. The boats float on a canal. The boats are surrounded by dry land most of the time, but at certain point you are elevated over the ground.
I did say "most" not "all" which is trivial anyway. It doesn't matter if the boat was tied between two docks and it was a step off for any normal person. you are still floating on a non solid base and the boat does jossle it's still a difficult feat to accomplish effectively on a regular basis and without drying out the whole ride and putting wheels with brakes, there will never be a fool proof safely way to make it fully accessable.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: