Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Imagineer76
Earning My Ears

Renting DVC Points

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to WDW this May (25-30) and we are wondering how everyone felt about renting DVC points? Would some of you mind sharing some good or bad experiences? If anyone has had a good experience maybe a recommendation of a member we could reach out to? We are a bit hesitant to go this route, but I feel we could stay at a nicer resort by doing so.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your time, it is much appreciated!

Troy
Imagineer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

There is a Rent/Trade board in the DVC section of the boards. It contains a sticky & FAQ with lots of advice on renting, protecting yourself, etc.

Edited: In fairness, I should let you know that you are VERY late for making a DVC reservation - less than 4 months out. But, that week is probably not a terribly crowded one (oops - I see now Sammie pointed out that it's Memorial Day - I thought it was the week before) - fall and the holidays are worse, so you may be successful. DVC members can book 11 months out at our home resorts, and 7 months out at our non-home resorts and the majority do that. It's not really a good fit for last minute trips (even 4 months). So just FYI.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV

Last edited by vicki_c; 02-08-2011 at 09:36 PM.
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Sammie
DIS Veteran

First off you need to realize most DVC members book their trips at 11 months and again at 7 months.

Since that is Memorial Day weekend, you might find it very hard to get someone to book a reservation for you at this point.

The main things to know are it is a private agreement between you and the DVC member, Disney will not get involved if there is any problem.

You will not get daily housekeeping or clean towels until your towel and trash day which is on the 4th day.

If you want the dining plan you will have to pay for it in advance of at least 24 hours before you arrive. The member will have to arrange this and you will have to work out payment for it with them.

The member will decide on payment options and most all do not allow for cancellations.

You will be emailed a copy of the reservation but any requests or changes will have to be made by the member. They own the reservation until you check in.

The best place to get info is on the DVC rent/trade forums here on the DIS.

Last edited by Sammie; 02-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
homedad
DIS Veteran

as a DVC owner who has been both the renter and rentee, there is always a little bit of trust both ways. I've found that actually speaking with the party seems to help....good luck
homedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
rbenn81
Mouseketeer

I have rented points from a good buddy who is a DVC member for our last three trips. Never had any problems. Whenever we have had problems I just contacted him, he called member services and issues were taken care of. PP poster did mention about having to pay ahead of time for the dining plan, however my last trip in October this was not the case. I paid at check in just like previous years.

It's a great way to stay deluxe for about the price of a moderate if not value depending on the amount of points and price per point. Good Luck!!!!

Disdad Member #464
Me DW DD DS
rbenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenn81 View Post
PP poster did mention about having to pay ahead of time for the dining plan, however my last trip in October this was not the case. I paid at check in just like previous years.
That is new, for any reservation made after mid-October - must be paid for when reserving now.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Baloo and Bagheera
DISboards Newbie

Adding the Dining Plan now must be done 48 hours prior to check-in and the DVC Member must call to add and pay at that time.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer76 View Post
Hi All,

We are planning a trip to WDW this May (25-30) and we are wondering how everyone felt about renting DVC points? Would some of you mind sharing some good or bad experiences? If anyone has had a good experience maybe a recommendation of a member we could reach out to? We are a bit hesitant to go this route, but I feel we could stay at a nicer resort by doing so.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your time, it is much appreciated!

Troy
Head over to the DVC boards....you will see an ad for David's DVC points rental. He may charge you a bit more for your points rental but it may be well worth it since there isn't that huge 'trust' issue. He's a known entity, rather than just a 'screen-name' on the internet.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

DVC is a timeshare, so you do not get daily mousekeeping when booking through an owner. you may not get any sort of cancellation policy. studios except for OKW include 1 queen bed and 1 pullout sofabed - OKW studios have 2 queens.

as stated, the other thing about DVC being a timeshare is that owners often book early - 10-11 months in advance. if you start looking 3-4 months out, availability may be very limited.

it's getting a little dated but this thread is still a good place to start to learn more about renting from an owner:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1669863

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

as a renter...

i've had one great, and one... not so good experience. it does take trust on both sides, and hopefully there is availability for your timeframe. you need to make sure you have the funds ready. some renters only take money orders/official checks, and some only take paypal. some want all the money up front, and others have different stipulations. check out the dvc boards and good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

There is also a board where members can report availability by month, so you could get an idea if there are still rooms available when you want to travel:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168

We rented points for a Thanksgiving week trip a few years ago and it was perfect. As others have said, it requires an element of trust. Make sure that both parties understand the terms of the agreement and do what you can to verify that the person with whom you are dealing is on the up and up. In that regard, there are some good tips on the DVC boards.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
notaprincess
Princess who?

I have one great experience renting thru the dis.
It was a bit different and the DVC member placed all their trust in me.
I took over an existing ressie on short notice and paid upon meeting them at the Disney resort
April 2006- WDW/ UO -offsite
Oct 2010- AKL (thank you Claire L) and RPR for WWHP

Nov 2012 the big 4-0 @the Poly and HRH

notaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
There is also a board where members can report availability by month, so you could get an idea if there are still rooms available when you want to travel:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168
that board is actually better used to make sure that rooms are NOT available. it's not updated often enough to give a realistic picture of availability.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

If you don't want to go direct to an owner you can use a broker. We used a DVC point broker for our last trip and had no problems with the broker or reservation and we would use the service again in the future.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
KatMark
DIS Veteran

The one time we tried it did not work out (we should have asked for references and didn't). We are renting for this year, but from a friend I work with so that there is no trust issue this time around.

Tags
dvc, planning, resorts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: