Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #31
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post

So you recommend his Pisa book as well? I have the ebook version of Cinque Terre on my nook color, which I will be brining anyways.
I have Rick Steves' Italy (paper version), which has all of Italy, including places one might visit on a cruise, including Pisa, Cinque Terre, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri.

I'm not sure what's available for an ebook.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
I have Rick Steves' Italy (paper version), which has all of Italy, including places one might visit on a cruise, including Pisa, Cinque Terre, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri.

I'm not sure what's available for an ebook.

Woody
Most of his books are available in ebook form. I also have his Rome book. I should have just purchased the Italy book to begin with. Now I am wondering if it is better to buy the Florence and Naples book or just get his Italy book.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:

Most of his books are available in ebook form. I also have his Rome book. I should have just purchased the Italy book to begin with. Now I am wondering if it is better to buy the Florence and Naples book or just get his Italy book.
I find Rick Steves' Italy book more than adequate for a stay in an city or town of, say, three nights or less.

I got his Rome book when we stayed a full week in Rome and wanted more depth.

Woody
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #34
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

I just went to Borders today & sat down with a whole PILE of Rick Steve's books on France, Paris (we're going to Paris before the cruise) and on Italy & Rome! DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I was thinking I should just buy whatever other guide books we want on there. I already have a couple of other pocket size books on Paris & Barcelona (with maps) that I plan to bring. But all these books will get HEAVY to pack which was DH's thought on getting me the Kindle. I still like to SEE the books tho before I download them.

ANYWAY, now I have been on the raileurope website trying to figure out this train stuff. Looking at schedules & prices etc. They don't really go more than a couple of months out right now but I figure it's SOMETHING to go by for planning I doubt it would change by THAT much don't ya figure?! I don't know about trying to buy our tix online ahead of time - what if we miss the time, right? We can just wait until we get to La Spezia and buy what we need there, right??? How long will it take to walk to the train station from the port? I think our port time is 7:30-7:30 so I am assuming that means we can get off the boat by 7:30, right? There's a train to Pisa at 8:06 am that is $18 pp for a 2nd class reserved seat. It takes 51 minutes & gets to Pisa at 8:57 am. If we miss that one the next train leaves at 8:20 am & takes 1 hr 15 min. & arrives at 9:35 am. It is cheaper - $8 pp for "open seating". How do you get to the tower then from the train station? Taxi? Is it far from the train station??

Then to get to Monterosso there is a direct train from Pisa at 11:44 am that takes 1 hr. 10 min. & is $15 for reserved 2nd class seats. That gets into Monterosso at 12:54 pm. This plan would give us between 2 to 2 hrs & 10 min. for Pisa - is that long enough? And it would get us to Monterosso in time for lunch and would give us 1 or 2 hours for the beach before we head to Vernazza (we'd likely take the train if we feel we're short on time). OH, so now I guess we'd need to buy a different type of train ticket now to get back to La Spezia huh?

OK, so does this plan work or do I still have a loophole or 2 to overcome?! Do I just go ahead when we're buying our tix to go to Pisa & buy the one to go from Pisa to Monterosso or would you wait & buy it in Pisa JUST IN CASE so I don't mess up & miss it?! Can you tell I don't get out much?!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #35
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Is La Spezia a tender port I think it is and it is about a 20 minute walk to the train station so making a train before 8:00 could be hard?

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #36
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
I just went to Borders today & sat down with a whole PILE of Rick Steve's books on France, Paris (we're going to Paris before the cruise) and on Italy & Rome! DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I was thinking I should just buy whatever other guide books we want on there. I already have a couple of other pocket size books on Paris & Barcelona (with maps) that I plan to bring. But all these books will get HEAVY to pack which was DH's thought on getting me the Kindle. I still like to SEE the books tho before I download them.

ANYWAY, now I have been on the raileurope website trying to figure out this train stuff. Looking at schedules & prices etc. They don't really go more than a couple of months out right now but I figure it's SOMETHING to go by for planning I doubt it would change by THAT much don't ya figure?! I don't know about trying to buy our tix online ahead of time - what if we miss the time, right? We can just wait until we get to La Spezia and buy what we need there, right??? How long will it take to walk to the train station from the port? I think our port time is 7:30-7:30 so I am assuming that means we can get off the boat by 7:30, right? There's a train to Pisa at 8:06 am that is $18 pp for a 2nd class reserved seat. It takes 51 minutes & gets to Pisa at 8:57 am. If we miss that one the next train leaves at 8:20 am & takes 1 hr 15 min. & arrives at 9:35 am. It is cheaper - $8 pp for "open seating". How do you get to the tower then from the train station? Taxi? Is it far from the train station??

Then to get to Monterosso there is a direct train from Pisa at 11:44 am that takes 1 hr. 10 min. & is $15 for reserved 2nd class seats. That gets into Monterosso at 12:54 pm. This plan would give us between 2 to 2 hrs & 10 min. for Pisa - is that long enough? And it would get us to Monterosso in time for lunch and would give us 1 or 2 hours for the beach before we head to Vernazza (we'd likely take the train if we feel we're short on time). OH, so now I guess we'd need to buy a different type of train ticket now to get back to La Spezia huh?

OK, so does this plan work or do I still have a loophole or 2 to overcome?! Do I just go ahead when we're buying our tix to go to Pisa & buy the one to go from Pisa to Monterosso or would you wait & buy it in Pisa JUST IN CASE so I don't mess up & miss it?! Can you tell I don't get out much?!
I have his Paris book on my nook as well as well. As far as books are concerned I will never buy another physical book if it is available in ebook format. (even then I might just wait for it to become available as an ebook)

I am going to wait until we are there to buy train tickets. Like you said, I don't want to get the timing wrong. La Spezia is a tender, I have no idea how long that will take.

You plan sounds pretty darn good
Your cruise is two weeks before mine so I hope you report back to let us know how this all works out!
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #37
Anal Annie

Quote:
I have his Paris book on my nook as well as well. As far as books are concerned I will never buy another physical book if it is available in ebook format. (even then I might just wait for it to become available as an ebook)

I am going to wait until we are there to buy train tickets. Like you said, I don't want to get the timing wrong. La Spezia is a tender, I have no idea how long that will take.

You plan sounds pretty darn good
Your cruise is two weeks before mine so I hope you report back to let us know how this all works out!
Happy to be the guinea pig if someone else will chime in & tell me if it looks like I have it right?!

I can't decide if I want the ebook on Paris or the one on France which would cover some of Paris and some of the Riviera. We're spending 4 nights is Paris first - but the first night & 2 days we're staying out at DLP. Moving into the city for nights 2, 3 & 4 so we'll have just 2 full days for the city... I have Frommer's Paris Day by Day...but it doesn't go into the same detail about the Eiffel Tower like Rick Steve's guide...he had a LOT on doing the tower. He told you where to get the tix, where to eat, where to pee! Everything!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #38
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:

I can't decide if I want the ebook on Paris or the one on France which would cover some of Paris and some of the Riviera. We're spending 4 nights is Paris first - but the first night & 2 days we're staying out at DLP. Moving into the city for nights 2, 3 & 4 so we'll have just 2 full days for the city... I have Frommer's Paris Day by Day...but it doesn't go into the same detail about the Eiffel Tower like Rick Steve's guide...he had a LOT on doing the tower. He told you where to get the tix, where to eat, where to pee! Everything!
I've been using Rick Steves' guidebooks for over a decade, and would not think of visiting Europe without one.

Glad you had a chance to review R.S.'s guidebooks. He answers questions you didn't even have -- yet. (Such as where to find public restrooms.)

I've been to Paris well over a dozen times. For two years, we had annual passports to Disneyland Paris. For a 3-night stay, R.S. France is more than adequate.

Frommer's Paris Day by Day is good, but does not have the DIY information that R.S. offers.

Woody
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #39
abacab
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
I've been using Rick Steves' guidebooks for over a decade, and would not think of visiting Europe without one.

Glad you had a chance to review R.S.'s guidebooks. He answers questions you didn't even have -- yet. (Such as where to find public restrooms.)

I've been to Paris well over a dozen times. For two years, we had annual passports to Disneyland Paris. For a 3-night stay, R.S. France is more than adequate.

Frommer's Paris Day by Day is good, but does not have the DIY information that R.S. offers.

Woody
We went to Paris last year and used the regular Frommers Paris (not the Day by Day). It was really good.
Overall I like Rick Steves and regular Frommers best. We tried Frommers Day by Day for some cities on the Baltic last year; nice maps, but not enough detailed info.
abacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #40
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
Is La Spezia a tender port I think it is
No it isn't the only port on the med cruise where you have to tender is Villefrance.

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #41
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
No it isn't the only port on the med cruise where you have to tender is Villefrance.
Last May we tendered in both Villefranche and La Spezia.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #42
Anal Annie

I just looked at the port info. on the DCL website and yes, it is a tender port.

How to Get Around
A variety of transportation options exist in La Spezia, many of which will take you within steps of some of the most popular sites in the area.
Tender boats: Tender boats ferry guests from the ship to a promenade approximately 200 yards from downtown La Spezia. The walk to the city's main shopping district takes about 10 minutes.
Taxis: Taxis are available 200 yards from the pier. Prices are generally determined by a meter with additional fees for suitcases, time of day and travel on holidays. A display in the cab lists some standard rates. If you are traveling longer distances, we recommend that you negotiate a price before your journey.
Buses: Most major venues in La Spezia are accessible by foot, but there are 2 major bus lines available. Line "L" runs from the railway station to Lerici in 35 minutes with a bus departing every 15 minutes. Line "P" and "11" run from Piazza Chiodo to Portovenere in 1 hour with a bus departing every 30 minutes. Bus tickets are purchased at newsstands and must be stamped upon boarding.
Train: The La Spezia railway station is a 15-minute walk from the pier. The train provides transportation to the Cinque Terre National Park. Guests can buy train and park tickets at an office inside the main gates of the railway station.

I'll bet it will be hard to even make the 8:20 train, depending on how they allow people to get off. Do they let people on DCL excursions off first or will they let anybody get in line to get off?? I suppose we COULD cheat & grab a taxi to the train station! LOL

Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #43
strawberryblonde
"We wants the redhead!!!!"
Lover of all things "strawberry"

We tendered at La Spezia last May. Walked to the train, so much to see on the way and the orange trees smelled delicious! Enjoyed Cinque Terre on our own. One thing to keep in mind if it is raining loads, trails and trains can close. Some of the trails were closed on our day because of the rain. Late afternoon, one of the train tunnels flooded, so some folks were stuck in the furthest most village and had to take a cab to port. Rare, but it can happen.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #44
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
We tendered at La Spezia last May. Walked to the train, so much to see on the way and the orange trees smelled delicious! Enjoyed Cinque Terre on our own. One thing to keep in mind if it is raining loads, trails and trains can close. Some of the trails were closed on our day because of the rain. Late afternoon, one of the train tunnels flooded, so some folks were stuck in the furthest most village and had to take a cab to port. Rare, but it can happen.
We were thinking of trying to take the train to Pisa first thing then go straight from Pisa to Monterosso for the afternoon. What time did you leave the ship & how long did that process take from debarking until you got to the train station? I'm trying to figure out if we can make an 8:06 or 8:20 train to Pisa?!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #45
strawberryblonde
"We wants the redhead!!!!"
Lover of all things "strawberry"

Quote:
We were thinking of trying to take the train to Pisa first thing then go straight from Pisa to Monterosso for the afternoon. What time did you leave the ship & how long did that process take from debarking until you got to the train station? I'm trying to figure out if we can make an 8:06 or 8:20 train to Pisa?!
We didn't rush off the ship. We were after the crowds, and just missed a tender and had to wait for the next one (bad luck/timing on our part). It took under 20 min. to walk to the station and we were taking photos the entire way. You could take a cab if you were in a hurry. It seems as though the tenders themselves were a bit slow, as though they were saving on gas or something.

I enjoyed our time in Cinque Terre so much that I wouldn't have wanted to give up any time to have seen Pisa. Our tablemates went to Pisa and wished they would have gone to Cinque Terre instead.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: