Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Always Dream
Mouseketeer

which Mod do you prefer and why?

Hi All,

I'm looking to stay at one of the moderate resorts next fall. I'm having a hard time choosing (they all look so nice!) and hoping someone can help.

The pool is not important to me as I don't generally use them.

I am hoping to find someplace beautiful, maybe more sophisticated than not, with comfortable rooms and convenient bus service. Recently renovated rooms would be a big plus. I won't be able to get a preffered room.

I had read some reports of rooms at Carribean Beach resort smelly moldy, does anyone know if this problem has been resolved? It would definitely ruin my trip to be stuck in a smelly room!

All experiences and opinions appreciated! Thanks!
Always Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Crazy Kanga
DIS Veteran

It really is a matter of personal taste. We have been to them all and by far CSR is our favorite!!!!
Look at as many pictures as you can and read the FAQ threads on each then make your choice based on the one who's theme and amenities appeal most to you!
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Robin K
DIS Veteran

I agree with PP--CSR is wonderful. It is beautiful, peaceful and we found the rooms clean and smell free!
The buses were awesome--we loved not sharing with any other resorts.
The resort is spread out and it took us about 7-10 minutes to walk to from the main building to our room. We walked slow to take everything in since it was our first stay at CSR.
We also stayed at POR. I also found this resort to be beautiful and well maintained. I enjoyed this resort for 3 years then we moved to CSR. My mom loves CSR over POR. I am the opposite. BUT- it could be that POR was our first WDW resort EVER...so I hold it near and dear to my heart.
I would say both are great choices!
Good luck with where ever you select.
Robin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
luv2plan
DIS Veteran

Definitely Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER!! It is small and easy to walk from your room to the food court, etc. The buildings are so cute with the wrought iron fences, ie New Orleans. And the ferry is very cool, relaxing break from the buses all the time.

lots of pictures at ourpaughingplace.com

With kids I would recommend CBR, the pool is great and the Pirate Rooms are very cool.
8 Resorts & 53 Total Days spent at Walt Disney World ~~ August 2014 Universal, Royal Pacific, Epcot, MK, Wilderness Lodge October 2011 Beach Club, MNSSHP & Disney DREAM!! ~~ March 2011 SURPRISE TRIP! WL ~~ March 2010 CBR Pirate Room ~~ Dec 2009 WL, MVMCP, DH went too! ~~ Mar 2009 Beach Club & Disney Wonder w/my Dad ~~ Jan 2008 Saratoga Springs ~~ Oct 2007 Poly & POR w/my Mom MNSSHP ~~ Oct 2005 Poly & POFQ w/in-laws MNSSHP ~~ Feb 2005 AKL & Disney Wonder ~~ Jan 2003 Beach Club with my little boy and MIL ~~ May 2002 First WDW Vacation in 20yrs Poly Con with my little boy and DH ~~ 1997-2007 San Diego resident & countless visits to DLR
luv2plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

We've stayed at POR, POFQ, and CSR. CSR is our favorite. The grounds are beautiful (especially at night, take an evening stroll if you choose it), the queen size beds were comfortable, we had great housekeeping, and the size of the room was fine for the four of us. The only thing that I like better at POR is the food court. Other than that, CSR is my new favorite moderate.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
mycatspot
"Changes in latitudes, changes in attitude..."

Ditto CSR for the queen sized beds!
mycatspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Turk February
DIS Veteran

POFQ sounds likes the perfect resort for you and here's why.

It's the smallest moderate, no building is more than a few minutes from the main building, all the rooms are being renovated right now, its grounds are immaculate and absolutely gorgeous, it's really quiet and serene, the river is beautiful, there's a boat to DTD, they have horse-drawn carriages, 1 bus stop, the buses sometimes share with POR but you're always first on and first off, you can walk to POR and use their food court and pool, blah blah blah.

It's the greatest
February 2011 - CSR
Christmas 2011 - Contemporary (MK View)
April 2013 - AKL Kidani Village (Savanna View)
October 2014 - POP Century
Childhood - March '83, March '84, November '84, January '87, August '87, October '87
Turk February is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
waltslostnephew
Mouseketeer

5 bodies at FQ

Going in May with my wife dd 5 and sons that are 4. What's the chanes of getting to stay in French Q than Riverside. I want to take advantage of the new queen beds, over 2 doubles and a trundle. Thanks
waltslostnephew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltslostnephew View Post
Going in May with my wife dd 5 and sons that are 4. What's the chanes of getting to stay in French Q than Riverside. I want to take advantage of the new queen beds, over 2 doubles and a trundle. Thanks
unless one of your boys is under 3. you will have to be at Riverside with a trundle bed.

We have stayed at POFQ & CSR and we liked POFQ better. We loved the size & the boat to DTD.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
Barnhill9586
DIS Dad's Club Member #556

Oh, I thought we were going to get to rate the moderators. Carry on...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Tara922c
DIS Veteran

We really liked Port Orleans French Quarter, BUT I have only stayed in Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter before. We liked the french quarter because it was small. We were in the furthess possible room from the lobby, and it was less than a five minute walk. We also enjoyed the boat to DTD. From what I hear, the rooms have been upgraded since our trip in May 2011. We want to stay there again on our next trip!!
Tara922c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Some of the rooms at CBR smell funky. I can attest to that. They are also like walking into a giant cartoon. At first, it is kind of cute, even if it is a smidge garish...but by the end of day 4 or 5, I was dreading having to go back there. The curtains clash, too. The food court is okay, but the lines are always long.

CSR changed its rooms, too. They would probably fit your "sophisticated" criteria best. I liked them better before the changeover (I think they had more character then), but they're nice enough for people who like that sort of thing. You have to pay 10% extra to eat in the food court there, though.

The PO resort rooms wouldn't fit, I don't think...although the argument could be made that POR mansions would. They have the yummiest and quickest food court of the mods.

Other than style (and food courts), there really isn't much difference in the mods.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I go to WDW several times a year and usually stay in a mod. I'd rank them:

#1. and #2. tie between CSR and POFQ
#3. PORS
#4. CBR

CSR feels closest to a deluxe, has very comfortable queen size beds, a good food court, and the best bus service of any WDW I've ever stayed at (and that includes the values and deluxes), only moderate that has a health club and beauty salon

POFQ is the smallest of any WDW resort, so no room is very far from the main building, rooms are in the middle of rehab, which should be finished by late April at which time all rooms will have at least queen size beds, boat to DTD is a very nice feature, shares buses most of the time with PORS, but POFQ is the first stop so you can usually get a seat in the mornings

PORS also has the boat to DTD and will start rehab as soon as they finish at POFQ, food court very good

CBR--probably has the worst bus service of the moderates, don't care for their food court at all, but resort is very pretty

Last edited by aubriee; 02-08-2011 at 09:00 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
sdzman
Kid @ Heart

We've stayed at all and I wouldnt hesitate to stay at any of them again. Each have a certain uniqueness that we like:

POFQ -- I like the smaller quieter feel of this resort. The boat to DTD is great.

POR -- Beautiful grounds. Nice main pool area and also the boat to DTD.

CBR -- Nice theming. The food court/shopping area is nice and the bar is always hopping with live entertainment

CSR -- This resort offers a more upscale feeling. The beds are actual queen size and IMO the rooms are the nicest. The food court is different and very good. The kids love the main digsite pool area.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Linda T.
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at two of the four and we like both. But for some reason my daughters always choose CBR.

POR - We loved the boatride to DTD and the food court was good.

CBR - We absolutely love this resort. We love the themeing, the beautiful tropical flowers, the many pools, the ducks, the sandy beaches with hammocks, the food court, the rooms with two double sinks, and the cabana by the main pool.
May, 1979 - Offsite; June, 1995 - CBR; June, 1997 - CBR; June, 1999 - POR; July, 2001 - CBR; April, 2005 - Disneyland; July, 2005 - CBR; July, 2007 - CBR; July, 2010 - CBR; July 2011 - CBR; July, 2013 - CBR; Next Trip - Christmas, 2014 - BCV

Linda T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: