Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Purdue university anyone?

I have a junior that had finally taken a realistic interest in colleges. This one came up on his short list. Any experiences? We are in nj and will try to head out if he is still interested after the college fair in April.

We have never even stepped foot in Indiana before.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

We have several kids from our high school that go there as well as the children of some of our friends. They all love it there. They have very good engineering and pharmacy programs. It has a good reputation as well.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

My eldest is in her second year at Purdue and my youngest is considering Purdue when she graduates High School (which I would like since I now know my way around campus!).

My suggestion is to visit Purdue when it is in full session, not during the summer. We toured during the summer, and some things, like parking, were much more open then than when my daughter actually started school there. Here we were thinking she would have no problem when she brought her car down the following year, but no, parking during the school year is tough!

Also, ask about the English-speaking skills of the teachers/professors and teaching assistants. My daughter has had two professors and two TAs that had terrible English skills and were very hard to understand. Purdue does pride itself on having a broad range of professors that are highly accomplished, but sadly that broad range includes those that have a very hard time with English. I was not happy that my hard-earned dollars were spent on building up Purdue's status in number of professors with no focus on their ability to teach the students.

Those two complaints are my only real complaints though! My daughter LOVES Purdue! She feels safe on campus, the food courts are fantastic, like a buffet everyday, she liked her dorm well enough, and the bus system is very good.

If your son is interested in maintaining a spiritual connection, there are buildings right on campus that house churches and college youth groups. My daughter is involved in the Methodist group, and is presently in the Methodist housing off-campus. This is a better fit for her than the dorms, as she was not one to enjoy the atmosphere of dorm living in her freshman year. She just isn't a drinker or one that likes to party late into the morning. I suppose at any college, there is the party atmosphere in the dorms, especially amongst the freshman. It was nice that there were other living options available after freshman year.

There are many, many clubs and activities at Purdue, so if your son wanted to get involved in a group outside of studies he should be able to find something.

One of the things that really sold my daughter on Purdue was interviewing the head of the department in the major she was interested in. If you know when you are going to visit Purdue, I highly recommend trying to set up an interview ahead of time. We visited many schools when looking at colleges, but as soon as my daughter met the head of her major, she knew Purdue was it. Not only did he give her a tour of the whole department, and introduce her to the other professors and teachers, he also had her meet the office staff and assistants, so she could feel more "connected" and see the people that would be there for her if she needed their help.

It also helped that he mentioned different internship programs that he had sent students to, including Disney. Her goal has been a Disney internship, and she felt Purdue would help her get there. In fact, she is at Disney right now doing her internship!

Purdue really loves its sports, and being a Boilermaker as opposed to a dog or cat (we looked at UGA and UK too) fills the students with a great sense of pride. If you ever plan on going down during a game, know that there is not that much available for hotels close to campus near game day, so make your reservations months ahead of time. I realize other schools have great pride in their teams too, but just wanted to let you know that so does Purdue!

If you have any other questions, let me know (I will try to check back later today). I know that a few years ago, when we were looking at colleges, there were other people on here that answered our Purdue questions, and if they are still here I am sure they may have more information for you than I do, but hopefully you have a start now on your Purdue search!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

My DS has several friends that attend and they all love it! Not sure where you live now, but its cold in Indiana right now and tends to be hot and humid in the summer. Not sure if that would be an issue.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
ICF
DIS Veteran

As an IU alum, I'd have to say run....run far far away from PU!!!!
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I really cannot speak to the university, but we lived in the same town for a couple of years and I can say that it was a nice place and certainly somewhere I would be comfortable with either of my kids living.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Donaldswife
DIS Veteran

My SIL, BIL and Step Brother are all Purdue alum and LOVE it there. My niece and nephews are being told it is the only place they are allowed to go to college.

It is a great school, and I hope my DD9 puts it on her short list when she is ready to select a school. We are lucky that Indiana has several highly rated state schools, IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc. so hopefully we won't be stuck paying out of state tuition.
Donaldswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post

Same here... BUT, Purdue is a quality school that has a great reputation. I personally don't like the feel of the campus (spent many a day there for 4-H) but the programs are good and they produce many fine graduates.

It's well worth a look.
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

All I know about Purdue is athletics, but I'll jump in and say that having professors whose first language is not English is likely to be the case at any research university.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

My wife and I are both Purdue alumni and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. My degree is in Chemical Engineering and hers in Education. We also have family that is currently attending and get back to campus often in the fall (football season tickets) so have been able to see how the campus has grown and changed since we graduated.
Bay Lake Tower 7/10,7/11,8/12,7/13,8/14,12/14 - Kidani Village 12/10 - Polynesian GVC 8/03,7/04,6/07,7/08 LVC 7/06, GV 7/09 - Wilderness Lodge 6/05,7/08 - All Star Movies 1/09 - All Star Sports 11/14 - Doubletree Downtown Disney 12/07
WIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
java
I'm the mean wife

Thanks everyone! He is interested in Computer Sciences. He was impressed with the specifics he could pursue here in Computer Science. They have Software Engineering and Systems Programing. Both areas of interest for him.

He is currently doing freelance work as a web designer. Was given a great opportunity and will hopefully lead to an internship at a big firm.

I think we'll try to schedule a visit out there. So glad to hear it's in a safe area too.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Purdue really is a great school and it would be well worth the visit for him to see it firsthand.

No matter how good the school or program it also has to fit your son for it to be a success. Enjoy your visit and good luck to him no matter where he decides to go.
Bay Lake Tower 7/10,7/11,8/12,7/13,8/14,12/14 - Kidani Village 12/10 - Polynesian GVC 8/03,7/04,6/07,7/08 LVC 7/06, GV 7/09 - Wilderness Lodge 6/05,7/08 - All Star Movies 1/09 - All Star Sports 11/14 - Doubletree Downtown Disney 12/07
WIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDisneyFan View Post
Purdue really is a great school and it would be well worth the visit for him to see it firsthand.

No matter how good the school or program it also has to fit your son for it to be a success. Enjoy your visit and good luck to him no matter where he decides to go.
I TOTALLY agree. So many people get wrapped up in the numbers and prestige of a school but if a kid doesn't like it there, none of that means anything because they will flunk out or drop out anyway.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
java
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I TOTALLY agree. So many people get wrapped up in the numbers and prestige of a school but if a kid doesn't like it there, none of that means anything because they will flunk out or drop out anyway.
I agree with both of you. That's why I am letting him drive the path on this one. I also think visiting is the best option to tell if it's a fit or not. I walked right onto my campus and knew it was the one.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
DON'T listen to ICF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Thanks everyone! He is interested in Computer Sciences. He was impressed with the specifics he could pursue here in Computer Science. They have Software Engineering and Systems Programing. Both areas of interest for him.

He is currently doing freelance work as a web designer. Was given a great opportunity and will hopefully lead to an internship at a big firm.

I think we'll try to schedule a visit out there. So glad to hear it's in a safe area too.
Purdue has an excellent Computer Science department. They also have a externship program, where you can work every other semester and usually get hired on full-time after you graduate. One of my high school friend did this and has worked for IBM ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDisneyFan View Post
My wife and I are both Purdue alumni and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. My degree is in Chemical Engineering and hers in Education. We also have family that is currently attending and get back to campus often in the fall (football season tickets) so have been able to see how the campus has grown and changed since we graduated.

I am a Purdue alum too. My degree is in Biology. I don't have a chance to get back to campus very often. I think it has changed quite a bit from my days (1977 - 1981), but when I was there, I loved it!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: