Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #46
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Our Dream cruise in March was only booked last month on impulse. I was looking at availability of concierge rooms on that sailing and the Roy was available. Its a short get away for my wife and I without the kids (long story) but I would not otherwise go for a 3 nighter anymore.
Wow that is pretty lucky... and a short getaway for you and your wife is a great thing! I hope things clear up and your concierge trip is super great!
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #47
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Disney seems like it is a total hit or miss with concierge and these reports are making me start to regret us booking it. We decided to try concierge last fall at the Beach Club based on all the wonderful reviews and what we got was a couple of food items in a tiny lounge. It was nothing horrible, just blah, but certainly a letdown after reading the reviews. Two months later friends of ours were there and had an amazing experience and level of service. We made our reservations last Oct for next Oct on the Dream. At the time we had just had our blah experience and my DH and I went back and forth. But once again all the wonderful reviews and descriptions on the web site swayed us into trying concierge on the Dream. Now with these first reviews I am concerned we just paid for another couple of food items in a small lounge. More expensive blah.
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #48
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
Disney seems like it is a total hit or miss with concierge and these reports are making me start to regret us booking it. We decided to try concierge last fall at the Beach Club based on all the wonderful reviews and what we got was a couple of food items in a tiny lounge. It was nothing horrible, just blah, but certainly a letdown after reading the reviews. Two months later friends of ours were there and had an amazing experience and level of service. We made our reservations last Oct for next Oct on the Dream. At the time we had just had our blah experience and my DH and I went back and forth. But once again all the wonderful reviews and descriptions on the web site swayed us into trying concierge on the Dream. Now with these first reviews I am concerned we just paid for another couple of food items in a small lounge. More expensive blah.
getting mixed reviews for sure.

Remember it starts 120 days out once paid in full. You can start booking Palo, Remy, excursions, spa, reserve a cabana. You have a concierge team you can call / email with questions or requests. When you arrive at port you waltz onto the ship at your leisure with no lines. You meet with concierge hosts and review your itinerary and make any changes you want. Let's say you realize that your Palo night conflicts with Pirate night and you want to change it., etc.

At least in past, there are some things that can make the concierge experience worthwhile. First cruise, mother nature caught DW off guard. I picked up the phone and in a few minutes I had a baggie of feminine hygiene products hand delivered by my host to the suite. Last summer I totally forgot to pack long pants for Palo, duh! I mentioned to my host that I would have to skip Palo because of this and she asked me my waist and inseam measurements ... later in the day I returned to the suite to see a pair of black crew trousers on a hanger in the proper size with a note and recorded voicemail telling me to enjoy dinner. Tips were indeed generous for service like that. Hopefully these little embarrassing things DONT happen but if and when they do its great to have that pixie dust save the day......

enjoy your Oct cruise!
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
i have toyed with the idea of not cruising concierge - but every time i come back to the advantages that i'm not willing to give up...
early booking of just about everything which pretty much guarantees you'll get everything you want (palo, massages, excursions and i guess remy as well)....
and on board they can also help you...

on our cruise a few years ago, i hadn't reserved palo in advance, but then we decided we were interested......according to palo there was nothing available, but one call to concierge got us a reservation...

i also had the distinct impression that we were receiving better service in the regular restaurants....it might not have been true, but i definitely had the feeling we were.....perhaps the servers knowing we were concierge thought we might be big tippers and so gave us really good service (could be - and we are big tippers....and it was really good service, so i dont know.....sort of a self fulfilling prophecy perhaps)...
in any case, i did have the feeling we were getting especially good service.......
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #50
MomsOf2boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i also had the distinct impression that we were receiving better service in the regular restaurants....it might not have been true, but i definitely had the feeling we were.....perhaps the servers knowing we were concierge thought we might be big tippers and so gave us really good service (could be - and we are big tippers....and it was really good service, so i dont know.....sort of a self fulfilling prophecy perhaps)...
in any case, i did have the feeling we were getting especially good service.......
I have to say we felt that way as well. Not on our first cruise perhaps because we were just so new to the whole thing and our children were younger... but on the last cruise we were very aware that we had excellant servers. At one point we went to Tritons for lunch and they asked for our card. We gave it to him and he said just one minute while he was trying to figure out where he was going to put us. We noticed the head server was trying to get his attention but could not. All of a sudden, another server came over and apologized and took us to a table. We didn't think anything of it but we saw the head server pull the man aside and was explaining that people with Gold cards are seated immediately as they are concierge. Now, all of this was quiet and no scene was made... I am deaf in one ear and suffered such bad ear infections as a child they thought I would lose all hearing and taught me to read lips and some sign language. So it was tastefully done, but done. I was like wow.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #51
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
I have to say we felt that way as well. Not on our first cruise perhaps because we were just so new to the whole thing and our children were younger... but on the last cruise we were very aware that we had excellant servers. At one point we went to Tritons for lunch and they asked for our card. We gave it to him and he said just one minute while he was trying to figure out where he was going to put us. We noticed the head server was trying to get his attention but could not. All of a sudden, another server came over and apologized and took us to a table. We didn't think anything of it but we saw the head server pull the man aside and was explaining that people with Gold cards are seated immediately as they are concierge. Now, all of this was quiet and no scene was made... I am deaf in one ear and suffered such bad ear infections as a child they thought I would lose all hearing and taught me to read lips and some sign language. So it was tastefully done, but done. I was like wow.
right - i noticed it also at breakfast and lunch (we're big on table service, as opposed to buffets)...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #52
MomsOf2boys

Quote:
right - i noticed it also at breakfast and lunch (we're big on table service, as opposed to buffets)...
Me too. Well lunch. We didn't really do breakfast we just had coffee and danish delivered to the suite. But my partner did fall in love with the mueslix and so we will probably have to go to the dining rooms from now on.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #53
scrapbookjulie
Mouseketeer

For those of you who have stayed concierge, did you get seated at your own table for dinner? Or were you put with other families? I haven't requested anything since I can't decide if I'd rather dine alone or dine with others as a chance for our daughter (and us) to make new friends. I'm leaving it up to fate! I just wondered if, as concierge, there's a greater chance for a private table.
scrapbookjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #54
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Me too. Well lunch. We didn't really do breakfast we just had coffee and danish delivered to the suite. But my partner did fall in love with the mueslix and so we will probably have to go to the dining rooms from now on.
i enjoy that whole 'civilized' feeling of table service when we're on vacation...
a lot of people worry it will limit how much they can eat, but DH pretty much ordered everything on the menu (an order of eggs, cereal, toast, bagel/lox/cream cheese, etc etc - and that was just for him....and yes, he's skinny....don't you just hate him already )

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookjulie View Post
For those of you who have stayed concierge, did you get seated at your own table for dinner? Or were you put with other families? I haven't requested anything since I can't decide if I'd rather dine alone or dine with others as a chance for our daughter (and us) to make new friends. I'm leaving it up to fate! I just wondered if, as concierge, there's a greater chance for a private table.
i called up the concierge service and specifically requested a table for the 4 of us - we didn't want to sit with anyone else......no problem....we had our own table...it could be that anyone can get their own table, but i would assume it's easier if you're concierge...but i called in advance, not when we were on the ship...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #55
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookjulie View Post
Our first 2 times we were put at our own table without making any request (parties of 7 and 5)

I asked the concierge shoreside staff recently about this regarding our upcoming cruises and was told they usually sit concierge guests at their own table per usual protocol. Thats what I was told, don't anyone shoot the messenger
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #56
Stepht5
Just trying to make it to our next Disney vacation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wums95 View Post
So then, what are all the perks of a suite on DCL?

I hear the following:
advance on line booking
Early boarding
Possibly some canapes in your room (Magic / Wonder) or access to the lounge (Dream)
Differential roomserviceoptions- though not Palo options

What is this about a private sail away party?
Can one get the kids unlimited arcade cards? one each day? for each child?Thanks for your response. We're doing a first time DCL suite in April...
We have sailed in a suite 4 times and only once did our kids recieve an arcade card - a one time thing and I think it was for $5 worth of tokens. My kids were happy.
I would NOT have wanted them to have more then one! lol!
The *private sail away* is when pulling out at one of the ports. Not the first day Sail Away.
GF/Wonder Oct '05 GF/Wonder Feb '06 10nt Southern Wonder Sept '06 ABD Spirit of America Aug '07 15nt EBRC Aug '08/GF Sept '08 AKL Sept/Oct '09 First DVC trip! SS Dec '09 SS Grand Villa Oct '10 AKV Dec '10 DL March '11Magic Oct'11 Fantasy June'12TR for ABD Spirit of America http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1583209

Stepht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #57
MomsOf2boys

Quote:
i enjoy that whole 'civilized' feeling of table service when we're on vacation...
a lot of people worry it will limit how much they can eat, but DH pretty much ordered everything on the menu (an order of eggs, cereal, toast, bagel/lox/cream cheese, etc etc - and that was just for him....and yes, he's skinny....don't you just hate him already )
YES! hahahahaha I am not a fan of the buffet, any buffet, so it is room service or table service for me. I do love the service and we did lunch in the restaurants except for tea day as we knew to skip lunch. The kids either joined us or didn't... we didn't ask or anything but they did sometimes just show up. I think they stalked us.

Did you ever order Palo into your room? Not sure I would love that...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #58
drparoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Our first 2 times we were put at our own table without making any request (parties of 7 and 5)

I asked the concierge shoreside staff recently about this regarding our upcoming cruises and was told they usually sit concierge guests at their own table per usual protocol. Thats what I was told, don't anyone shoot the messenger
The two times we sailed concierge, we were at our own table (5 of us). The next two cruises we were not able to get concierge and we were put at tables with others. Of course, I never knew we could ask to be at our own table...I only recently found this board and we always just let things happen as they happened. There is some advantage to that, I'm learning......
drparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #59
ededmd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
But my partner did fall in love with the mueslix and so we will probably have to go to the dining rooms from now on.
You can get the meusli delivered. Just write it in.
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #60
BethA
DIS Veteran

anyone can request to be at their own table or to sit with others.

I hope everyone will continue to post their concierge experience here. We are booked on the June 21st dream and I was considering giving up the concierge room, because of our recent experience- but the cruise is sold out-so hopefully we will have the same special experience we had in the past on the magic and the Wonder
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: