Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #31
AussieAussieAussie
From the Land Down Under

FE in practice

Any update as to how FE works in practice in concierge? Do you attach the FE bag to the gate?
AussieAussieAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #32
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethA View Post
I have to agree with all this from our maiden voyage- more money and less service. We expected the lounge to be a plus, but just had to wait all the time to ask a question that was never answered. We did not even get the fruit bowl the first day. With more rooms they need to increase the staff. Most times i had to call guest services to get things straightened out or an answer and they often did not know. Hope you commented on the changes- we did and hope the service goes back to what we are used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelly03 View Post
We are booked in concierge next year on the Fantasy (12 floor to be closer to lounge) and struggled with changing our reservation because of the lack of service. I think I just need to lower my expectations from what they used to offer on the Magic/Wonder. We left plenty of feedback on the form and it was the first time we could not answer the question about "did anyone make your trip magical".
Thank you both for leaving feedback on your comment cards re: meager concierge service.

I think I'm most upset at the no litho, lol. Our nieces and nephews love them. I hope the no litho was a freak thing. And I sure hope that it is not going fleet-wide. That was such a nice perk. On sailings where Ducky Williams was aboard, the concierge not only delivered the litho but also had Ducky sign them for us.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #33
jenvin
Mouseketeer

Wow - this is really disappointing, we were on the Magic NYE 5 day Bahamas cruise last year in concierge and it was absolutely fabulous, we were totally spoiled rotten. I thought that was the norm for concierge and I didn't think I could cruise any other way after that - LOL. If I'm not going to get that same level of service, I won't go for concierge on the newer ships, although I do love having first dibs at the cabanas and other reservations, I loved the cabanas at CC and it would be really disappointing if we weren't able to secure one on our next cruise there - concierge level pretty much guarantees availability...I hope they improve by the time I can afford to head back there!
jenvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #34
wums95
Earning My Ears

Suite question

So then, what are all the perks of a suite on DCL?

I hear the following:
advance on line booking
Early boarding
Possibly some canapes in your room (Magic / Wonder) or access to the lounge (Dream)
Differential roomserviceoptions- though not Palo options

What is this about a private sail away party?
Can one get the kids unlimited arcade cards? one each day? for each child?

Thanks for your response. We're doing a first time DCL suite in April...
wums95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #35
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

They used to have the dining room menu's in the book in the concierge rooms. Maybe they just haven't gotten those together. I would hate to ask each day. We have a picky eater and I always let him go over the menu and figure out what he will eat or at least try before we get there to speed things up. He is no longer a children's menu contestant as he would probably need to eat 3 of those meals! lol

I do hope that they read everyone's comments on the cards and make changes to the concierge procedures. Are there really that many more rooms than on the origonal ships? Weren't there like 16 on those and only 20 or so on these ones? That doesn't warrant the huge lack of service.

We aren't ones to ask for a lot of things... so we would be among the group that would just do it ourselves and leave feedback saying service lacks. Not saying that those that do ask are wrong, just saying we are very shy about that. It does sound as if it is the same concierge service as in the resorts which is nothing compared to that on the Magic and Wonder. Just sayin...

For those of you with trips coming, please let us know how it goes for you so we can see what the changes are or what the new standard most likely is.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!

Last edited by MomsOf2boys; 02-08-2011 at 06:31 AM.
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #36
MomsOf2boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I am usually a generous tipper but it's not a gimme. No service from concierge hosts, no tip.
I agree with you.

I noticed in your signature that you are staying in the Roy very soon. How did you decide Roy over Walt or was that the one left when you booked? I'm waiting on the rest of 2012 dates to come out and I think I really want Roy as well. I can say because you should be able to see CC from that side but really its because of that little window seat in the master bedroom. Ridiculous I know. We have stayed in Cat 2 or the Magic and Cat 3 on the Wonder and so I think it only fair that we get a R on the Dream. LOL Were waitlisted both other cruises but nothing opened.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #37
BethA
DIS Veteran

I think the other ships had 18 and there are 40 on here.
The arcade cards were not unlimited. We usually got 2 and the last time they were for a limited amount of play- previously $20.
I have found that although 99% of the time prior to this the service was excellent, it was hit or miss- some people must ask for more or for some reason the concierge takes a liking to them - or great tippers, but you read of people getting all kinds of special things. Service should be the same for the most part. I Have to say Patrick did find me aloe when I was told none was onboard by another concierge. He also did do something for me one day- so in his defense he tried very hard. The CMs working the lounge were also very good, but in general we felt the service was not the special service we have received before. A few tiny sandwiches does not replace excellent service in my opinion
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #38
MomsOf2boys

Quote:
The arcade cards were not unlimited. We usually got 2 and the last time they were for a limited amount of play- previously $20.
I have found that although 99% of the time prior to this the service was excellent, it was hit or miss- some people must ask for more or for some reason the concierge takes a liking to them - or great tippers, but you read of people getting all kinds of special things. Service should be the same for the most part. I Have to say Patrick did find me aloe when I was told none was onboard by another concierge. He also did do something for me one day- so in his defense he tried very hard. The CMs working the lounge were also very good, but in general we felt the service was not the special service we have received before. A few tiny sandwiches does not replace excellent service in my opinion
40? Wow Beth I hadn't paid much attention. That is a heck of a lot more rooms! Thank you for clearing that up. I would think that with 40 or so rooms, a concierge lounge and deck, and the cabannas on CC, that 3 people cannot possibly do a super great job as a concierge staff.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #39
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
40? Wow Beth I hadn't paid much attention. That is a heck of a lot more rooms! Thank you for clearing that up. I would think that with 40 or so rooms, a concierge lounge and deck, and the cabannas on CC, that 3 people cannot possibly do a super great job as a concierge staff.
Actual #'s are 22 - Magic/Wonder and 41 - Dream. Now if a person was to compare the concierge crew members to room # total you would think it shouldn't make a huge difference - 2 on the Magic/Wonder would be reponsible for 11 cabins each if divided evenly and on the Dream it works out to approx. 14 cabins each(# was rounded up) if divided between the 3. So technically speaking it should work. Hopefully they get it all straightened out.

kaseyC - I agree 100% with you that NCL butler/concierge service is top notch!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #40
kbmo4444
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisena View Post
I think we are sailing on the same cruise, based on your signature. It should be interesting to see if things get straighten out by the time of the cruise.
I hope they do work out some of the kinks for our sailings 2/20 & 2/24 but who knows. You should join our cruise meet thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread....332670&page=59

I also hope these changes don't start to spill over to the Magic/Wonder since we switched our Fantasy April 2012 sailing to the Feb 2012 sailing on the Magic. We were able to score the Walt Suite on the Magic for a little bit more than we were paying for a Cat T on the Fantasy. I would hate for the service to change on the older ships. I guess time will tell
4/2006 3 night Wonder – 4/2007 4 night Wonder – 2/2008 7 night Magic Western – 11/2008 4 night Wonder – 4/2009 4 night Wonder – 12/2009 3 night Wonder – 2/2010 7 night Western – 4/2010 Wonder B2B – 11/2010 7 night Magic Western Double Dip – 2/2011 Dream B2B - 2/2012 7 night Magic Eastern- 2/2013 5 night Wonder
kbmo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #41
wums95
Earning My Ears

Suite Comparisons between Cruise Lines?

Last edited by wums95; 02-16-2011 at 10:15 PM.
wums95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #42
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wums95 View Post
To those who sail in suites regularly:

My first suite was on NCL last year (not courtyard villa, but w/ concierge and butler nontheless), and the service was great- esp. w/ little kids. I am now hooked, or so I think.

In addition to DCL suite-bookings (three, with first one coming up soon), I have booked an Aqua Theater suite on a Royal Caribbean Oasis-class ship.

Anyone hear what to expect there?

How would you compare DCL, NCL, and RCCL in terms of their suite service (as much as you can do an apples-to-apples, as some things must depend on ship as well as actual suite itself; but overall service and perks may possibly be generalized, no?)

Also- for the money, if I didn't have little kids, I would think about having a "regular" cabin on a six-star line like Crystal as opposed to a suite on a regular line.

Anyone have any comparison-experiences to share on that thought?

Thanks, all!
Comparing our experiences in the suites on DCL vs NCL, I would honestly say NCL wins hands down. Now, don't get me wrong, we have had good service on DCL, but what we experienced on NCL was just better.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #43
so_oregon
Disney Cruise Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmo4444 View Post
I hope they do work out some of the kinks for our sailings 2/20 & 2/24 but who knows. You should join our cruise meet thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread....332670&page=59

I also hope these changes don't start to spill over to the Magic/Wonder since we switched our Fantasy April 2012 sailing to the Feb 2012 sailing on the Magic. We were able to score the Walt Suite on the Magic for a little bit more than we were paying for a Cat T on the Fantasy. I would hate for the service to change on the older ships. I guess time will tell
upgraded at port to concierge twice now...2009 and 1/23/11 sailing.

changes:

no menus on the Wonder in the book for the restaurants.
no arcade cards
no popcorn
no stopping by to "see if you need anything"

the good -- Mike and Tawanda got us Palo brunch ressies for 7 the first sea day (which happened to be Monday on a Sunday sailing) AND they put us in the private room..that was cool. Also got on tenders in Cabo, very very quickly without waiting in line.

Now, the ugly. I was in 8602. We walked in to burning electric smell. My son, Mr. IT guy, says that is burning electric and this concerns me greatly. That was Sunday at 3 p.m. Two different maintenance workers came and said "I smell nothing". The smell was so strong we were running the A/C and leaving both doors open. When the second maintenance worker left, he left a ceiling panel hanging down (or it fell down as it wasn't secured)....could have bopped someone's head if this had happened during the night.

Monday -- again, the smell. Again, maintenance came and denied smelling anything (this was really annoying as it was an obvious electrical smell....I smoke and I could smell it. My son doesn't and the smell was also giving him a headache).

Tuesday, still the smell...maintenance came and the panel was left open (popped open again). About this time, we discovered the dry sink (the bar sink?), was clogged/slow draining. We had bought wine, rum, and I was trying to wash glasses (we had bought small bottle of soap/sponge from home) and by the time the water was hot, the sink was completely full.

I reported this.

Wednesday, no more smell, but still clogged sink.

Thursday, clogged sink, able to wash only one glass per half hour

Friday, clogged sink, able to wash one glass per half hour

Saturday, I ran into the dept head for Guest Services (I had met and chatted with him at the concierge reception) and mentioned my unhappiness with the room and asked whether DCL would be willing to refund/discount part of the cost of the room as I was not thrilled....."oh no, that would not be happening."

OH, Guest Services guy tells me that they were WELDING in a nearby area and that the air system was connected somehow....

12/02 Norwegian Wind
12/06 Norwegian Wind
2/1/09 - Celebrity Solstice
9/19/09 - Disney Magic
5/27/10 - Disneyland trip
7/29-8/1/10 Disneyland
11/6/10 Celebrity Summit
1/23/11 - Disney Magic

so_oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #44
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_oregon View Post
upgraded at port to concierge twice now...2009 and 1/23/11 sailing.

changes:

no menus on the Wonder in the book for the restaurants.
no arcade cards
no popcorn
no stopping by to "see if you need anything"

the good -- Mike and Tawanda got us Palo brunch ressies for 7 the first sea day (which happened to be Monday on a Sunday sailing) AND they put us in the private room..that was cool. Also got on tenders in Cabo, very very quickly without waiting in line.

Now, the ugly. I was in 8602. We walked in to burning electric smell. My son, Mr. IT guy, says that is burning electric and this concerns me greatly. That was Sunday at 3 p.m. Two different maintenance workers came and said "I smell nothing". The smell was so strong we were running the A/C and leaving both doors open. When the second maintenance worker left, he left a ceiling panel hanging down (or it fell down as it wasn't secured)....could have bopped someone's head if this had happened during the night.

Monday -- again, the smell. Again, maintenance came and denied smelling anything (this was really annoying as it was an obvious electrical smell....I smoke and I could smell it. My son doesn't and the smell was also giving him a headache).

Tuesday, still the smell...maintenance came and the panel was left open (popped open again). About this time, we discovered the dry sink (the bar sink?), was clogged/slow draining. We had bought wine, rum, and I was trying to wash glasses (we had bought small bottle of soap/sponge from home) and by the time the water was hot, the sink was completely full.

I reported this.

Wednesday, no more smell, but still clogged sink.

Thursday, clogged sink, able to wash only one glass per half hour

Friday, clogged sink, able to wash one glass per half hour

Saturday, I ran into the dept head for Guest Services (I had met and chatted with him at the concierge reception) and mentioned my unhappiness with the room and asked whether DCL would be willing to refund/discount part of the cost of the room as I was not thrilled....."oh no, that would not be happening."

OH, Guest Services guy tells me that they were WELDING in a nearby area and that the air system was connected somehow....
I have the fortunate opportunity to be sailing concierge in March on the Dream followed in April on the Magic, both in the "Roy" suite. It will be interesting to see how it goes, I have an open mind and will report honestly how it goes...

We really liked Mike on the Wonder. We had him on board the Wonder twice and he was extremely helpful and thoughtful.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #45
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
I agree with you.

I noticed in your signature that you are staying in the Roy very soon. How did you decide Roy over Walt or was that the one left when you booked? I'm waiting on the rest of 2012 dates to come out and I think I really want Roy as well. I can say because you should be able to see CC from that side but really its because of that little window seat in the master bedroom. Ridiculous I know. We have stayed in Cat 2 or the Magic and Cat 3 on the Wonder and so I think it only fair that we get a R on the Dream. LOL Were waitlisted both other cruises but nothing opened.

Our Dream cruise in March was only booked last month on impulse. I was looking at availability of concierge rooms on that sailing and the Roy was available. Its a short get away for my wife and I without the kids (long story) but I would not otherwise go for a 3 nighter anymore.

On the Magic/Wonder, I prefer the Roy for the darker wood tones and the starboard location for views, personal preference. We originally had a Cat 2 booked for our April sailing but in December got a phone call offering the Roy off the wait list.

I do want to check out the Walt suite on the Dream and have a July 2012 double dip booked in it but won't know until May if I can get that week off. I might consider switching to a Fantasy caribbean itinerary cat T depending on how our next couple of cruises go.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: