Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9497 View Post
I would think that the treats are now in the lounge and where people can get them. I understand that delivering them was nicer but part of the lounge is so that you can have the snacks anytime you want along with the wine and beer service in the evening.
Treats aren't limited to food. I'm referring to the arcade cards, pins, etc.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
BethA
DIS Veteran
 
BethA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 3,491

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelly03 View Post
You would think they would not assign inexperienced staff to concierge - but we just got home from Dream Feb 3 sailing and the staff was new and inexperienced- but very nice.

We have sailed concierge 4 times now, and the service has really gone down hill. There are so many concierge cabins on the new ship and they still only have 3 employees assigned to serve these guests.

The lounge was nice, always had food and drink available and always a staff member at the desk to answer any questions. They do offer an open bar from 5pm- 6pm and then again from 7:30- 8:30pm. The private sun deck was fantastic and always empty.

The answer to every question we had was no. No dining changes, no peanut butter and jelly crustables, no Mickey bars, no we can't fix all of the electronic problems in your room, etc. Maybe because they are so new to DCL they just don't know how to get things done.

The changes we noticed- no more treats delivered to stateroom- only first day fruit basket and food in lounge. No art print delivered as a thank you, not able to switch our dining from late to early. We assumed they would be able to handle that for us. Each night my husband asked them to call the restaurants to see if they could seat us at 6pm if someone went to Palo or something - never happened. The restaurant menus are no longer in your room to order from - the concierge must do it for you and only available at 6pm and 8:30pm. No more ordering from Palo unless you are in the Walt suite. Continental breakfast no longer available on last morning of cruise - must use the lounge.

The concierge gates are ugly and malfunction. Half the time they were open because a maintenance person was working on them. Other times you couldn't get out. Once I was actually leaving my stateroom and couldn't get out. You dont even need your key for that but it was locked and wouldn't let us leave. Luckily someone came out of the spa and used my card to open the door from the other side.
I have to agree with all this from our maiden voyage- more money and less service. We expected the lounge to be a plus, but just had to wait all the time to ask a question that was never answered. We did not even get the fruit bowl the first day. With more rooms they need to increase the staff. Most times i had to call guest services to get things straightened out or an answer and they often did not know. Hope you commented on the changes- we did and hope the service goes back to what we are used to.
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethA View Post
I have to agree with all this from our maiden voyage- more money and less service. We expected the lounge to be a plus, but just had to wait all the time to ask a question that was never answered. We did not even get the fruit bowl the first day. With more rooms they need to increase the staff. Most times i had to call guest services to get things straightened out or an answer and they often did not know. Hope you commented on the changes- we did and hope the service goes back to what we are used to.
Zoinks!! You corroborate that experience? Not good!
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
BethA
DIS Veteran
 
BethA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 3,491

so you didn't get a litho? We hught it was just the maiden voyage- everyone onboard got them and nothing extra for conciege.
the other we did not have since they added the lounge was the sail away reception with ship officers and a character one day.
The sun deck was nice, but could have had a water fountain or water available and a small hot tub would have been nice. It is not close enough to get wet in the pool when it is hot out.
The food offerings in the lounge on ur cruise were not kid friendly and always the same. This whole concierge experience was the only bad part of our cruise- where usually it is the best part. All the little things were gone- no weather report, no taking care of your problems.
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
eisena
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 95

Here is part of the decription of a concierge room on the Dream from the Disney Cruise Line website.

Special Treats Delivered
While staying in a Concierge Suite, you benefit from daily delights delivered to your door, such as canapés, fruit and cookies.


If they are not doing this, they really should update the website. I booked a concierge room for 2/20 expecting everything listed on the site. Otherwise I would have booked two connecting staterooms to get the space. I wonder if Disney has gotten any complaints.
__________________
eisena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #21
kbmo4444
Mouseketeer
 
kbmo4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 465

Sooooo

If we are not getting the services that we are used to and have paid premium for and there is no more personalization. What exactly are we giving the hosts a tip for? HMMM
__________________
4/2006 3 night Wonder – 4/2007 4 night Wonder – 2/2008 7 night Magic Western – 11/2008 4 night Wonder – 4/2009 4 night Wonder – 12/2009 3 night Wonder – 2/2010 7 night Western – 4/2010 Wonder B2B – 11/2010 7 night Magic Western Double Dip – 2/2011 Dream B2B - 2/2012 7 night Magic Eastern- 2/2013 5 night Wonder
kbmo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmo4444 View Post
If we are not getting the services that we are used to and have paid premium for and there is no more personalization. What exactly are we giving the hosts a tip for? HMMM
I am usually a generous tipper but it's not a gimme. No service from concierge hosts, no tip.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
eisena
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmo4444 View Post
If we are not getting the services that we are used to and have paid premium for and there is no more personalization. What exactly are we giving the hosts a tip for? HMMM
I think we are sailing on the same cruise, based on your signature. It should be interesting to see if things get straighten out by the time of the cruise.
__________________
eisena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
kakelly03
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 39

OMG - I never even thought about the gate locking me in as a security/safety issue. That kind of freaks me out now. At least we were on 11 so there was plenty of traffic from the spa to flag someone down for assistance. If you were on 12 then you might not see anyone. Someone asked about the gates, there is one on 11 since the spa is on the other side and there are 2 on 12 with the lounge in the middle.

The open bar before dinner included an attendant, Gaga, and she was very good. My husband had wine and I had a margarita so I think it is beyond beer and wine. The snacks were not hot and mostly not kid friendly. Sometimes they also had chocolate chip bars on a stick and other time cookies. My kids frequently grabbed a box of fruit loops to snack on while we were there. No Mickey head rice krispie treats

I forgot about the concierge sail away party- that was gone. No private reception with officers, no pins, popcorn, arcade cards, etc.

I did use the sun deck 3 times and only once did I see another person- and that was a pre-teen who only stayed a short while. The deck was staffed with an attedant who seemed bored and was texting while there was nothing to do. He gave me suncreen and offered a cold towel. I personally found the sun deck to be relaxing and peaceful. There is a bar just around the corner so we grabbed drinks and brought them to the concierge deck.

We are booked in concierge next year on the Fantasy (12 floor to be closer to lounge) and struggled with changing our reservation because of the lack of service. I think I just need to lower my expectations from what they used to offer on the Magic/Wonder. We left plenty of feedback on the form and it was the first time we could not answer the question about "did anyone make your trip magical".

We did rent the private cabana on Castaway and learned that the concierge staff is responsible for those guests as well. Not sure how that would have worked if we needed anything since there are so many cabanas and who staffs the lounge on the ship at that time. The cabana was wonderful and we would definitely do that again - we would not have normally left a tip for the concierge but since we did rent the cabana and loved the amenities it offered and the concierge guy kept us stocked with drinks and snacks we felt he deserved something. If we had not rented the cabana we would not have tipped the concierge team.
kakelly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
kaseyC


Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 4,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelly03 View Post
You would think they would not assign inexperienced staff to concierge - but we just got home from Dream Feb 3 sailing and the staff was new and inexperienced- but very nice.

We have sailed concierge 4 times now, and the service has really gone down hill. There are so many concierge cabins on the new ship and they still only have 3 employees assigned to serve these guests.

The lounge was nice, always had food and drink available and always a staff member at the desk to answer any questions. They do offer an open bar from 5pm- 6pm and then again from 7:30- 8:30pm. The private sun deck was fantastic and always empty.

The answer to every question we had was no. No dining changes, no peanut butter and jelly crustables, no Mickey bars, no we can't fix all of the electronic problems in your room, etc. Maybe because they are so new to DCL they just don't know how to get things done.

The changes we noticed- no more treats delivered to stateroom- only first day fruit basket and food in lounge. No art print delivered as a thank you, not able to switch our dining from late to early. We assumed they would be able to handle that for us. Each night my husband asked them to call the restaurants to see if they could seat us at 6pm if someone went to Palo or something - never happened. The restaurant menus are no longer in your room to order from - the concierge must do it for you and only available at 6pm and 8:30pm. No more ordering from Palo unless you are in the Walt suite. Continental breakfast no longer available on last morning of cruise - must use the lounge.

The concierge gates are ugly and malfunction. Half the time they were open because a maintenance person was working on them. Other times you couldn't get out. Once I was actually leaving my stateroom and couldn't get out. You dont even need your key for that but it was locked and wouldn't let us leave. Luckily someone came out of the spa and used my card to open the door from the other side.
Wow!! I was hoping that we were seeing more consistent service with the Dream Concierge set up but I guess not.

Our recent Concierge experience on the Dream 1/30 and 2/3 was great, almost the complete opposite of yours. We were in a Cat. V for the 1/30 cruise and Cat. T on the 2/3 cruise. This was our 5th and 6th DCL Concierge sailings and one of the best in terms of service. We were never told no, all of my requests were met and questions were answered. On the 2/3 sailing we asked to have our dining time changed from Main to Second seating as well as requesting the same servers from our 1/30 cruise. Patty put in the request and we received a call a couple of hours later that it had been changed plus we got our same servers and same table from the 1/30 cruise.

When I requested a Royal Palace breakfast menu, one was sent to our suite. I never had to contact guest services for anything, it was all taken care of by either Patty, Patrick or Rodrigo. They didn't send the girls arcade cards (we didn't get those or popcorn consistently on any of our other cruises) but on the 1/30 sailing they left each of my DDs a Disney puzzle. When I asked for some of the H20 sun relief gel it was sent to my cabin minutes later. Truly, we were never told no.

I enjoyed the lounge, I usually went in for one of the "Happy Hours" before dinner. By the second day of the 1/30 sailing the bar attendant Gaga knew what I liked and would offer it each night after that as well. I don't believe I ever visited the lounge without someone from the concierge coming over to see how we were doing and to check if we needed anything. I also enjoyed chatting with the attendants, Gaga, Claudia and Jan. It was neat to hear their stories.

I don't know about the malfunctioning of the deck 11 gates but we never had a problem getting in or out on Deck 12.

Even though it seems my experience was much more positive than yours it really bothers me that service is still so hit or miss. That was one of the main reasons we started booking suites on other lines. We changed our 2012 Fantasy book from 2 cabins to a Cat. T, hopefully they will get their act together and make sure the Concierge service is consistent for all Concierge level guests. If not we will stick with NCL's Courtyard Villas which have exceptional Concierge and Butler service.
__________________
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Do you not meet anymore with concierge host upon arrival to go over your itinerary with reps fromnspa and kids club in attendance??
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
kaseyC


Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 4,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelly03 View Post
OMG - I never even thought about the gate locking me in as a security/safety issue. That kind of freaks me out now. At least we were on 11 so there was plenty of traffic from the spa to flag someone down for assistance. If you were on 12 then you might not see anyone. Someone asked about the gates, there is one on 11 since the spa is on the other side and there are 2 on 12 with the lounge in the middle.
On deck 12 there were a number of ways to get out without going through the gate... cut through the side doors of the Concierge lounge and exit out of the Lounge's front door, there was a door at the end of the hall on each side of deck 12 that exited out onto the Quiet Cove area sundeck or go through the lounge up to deck 13 sundeck. So there wasn't any real safety/security issue on deck 12 at least.
__________________
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
Twinparents
Mouseketeer
 
Twinparents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 113

We just did the B2B on January 30th and had concierge on February 3rd and had a similar experience to kaseyC. We had great service and the only time I was told no was when I asked if they had German stolen bread from Palo on the ship. Since they did not do a Palo brunch on the 3 day cruise they had not made the bread that I love.

What I find interesting is no common service. For example, we didn't receive a Disney puzzle but my daughter would have loved that. Instead she did get an autographed character picture because it was her birthday. We hit the open bar every night and my kids must have been in the lounge at least 4 to 5 times a day.

One time I went to the sundeck to get my daughter some sunscreen and they were all out. They sent someone down to the gift shop to get some and brought us the unopened bottle.
Twinparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #29
kaseyC


Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 4,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Do you not meet anymore with concierge host upon arrival to go over your itinerary with reps fromnspa and kids club in attendance??
Yes as soon as you board. At that meeting on the 2/3 cruise is when I made my dining change request. Since I upgraded at the port for that cruise my itinerary had to be created. For my 1/30 cruise since I had booked Concierge originally my itinerary was already prepared, we just went over it and they made any requested changes.
__________________
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #30
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Yes as soon as you board. At that meeting on the 2/3 cruise is when I made my dining change request. Since I upgraded at the port for that cruise my itinerary had to be created. For my 1/30 cruise since I had booked Concierge originally my itinerary was already prepared, we just went over it and they made any requested changes.
Thanks ... Hope the service gets consistent. Your experience is what I expect, what I am used to from magic/wonder. Sorry the other poster had such a crummy concierge experience
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: