Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
jmm476
DIS Veteran

2 out of 5 picky eaters - did we make everyone happy? COMPLETED 3/8

Welcome to my first dining review! We visited the world January 7-11 for an extended family trip (adults only) and visited several CS and TS places. But first, the cast:

Me: jmm476 aka Jill. 30 years old, Disney fanatic and I think the reason the trip was planned (so my parents could stop listening to me talk about how much I want to go to Disney!).

DH: Paul aka Picky Eater #1, turned 36 years old on Jan 8, the day we checked into the Wilderness Lodge. Not really a Disney fan and refused to wear his birthday button. No fun! But I think he managed to have a good time, even though "Disney is just for kids". His words, not mine! The guy doesn't even eat potatoes unless they're in the form of french fries or tater tots. Also doesn't like tomatoes and lots of other veggies, but will eat almost any meat. Doesn't like sauces or dressings either.

DS: Sister Brittany, 22 years old. Also loves Disney, but not to the same extent that I do.

DM: Mom Luanne aka Picky Eater #2. Always knew she had a soft spot for Disney, but realized on this trip that she can be as commando as I am! She's picky about how things are prepared, and dislikes too many things to even begin listing them.

DD: StepDad Kevin, loves to try new food.

So when we planned the trip, we wanted to do a nice dinner on my DH's birthday. It was a big deal, the whole family around the computer looking at menus and such and we decided on Tutto Italia. And I swear my parents said "we're not commandos like you are, we don't want a dictated schedule, we'll just eat and do what we want when we want." So I made one ADR for Tutto on Jan 8. The week before we were leaving, my mom called and asked where else I had made reservations! So after some calls to other Disney friends and fans, I decided the family would also go to Rose & Crown and Artist Point. I was really concerned about the 2 picky eaters.

So our final eating destinations were:
Jan 7: Dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express

Jan 8: Breakfast at Pizzafari
Lunch at snack carts (AK)
Dinner at Tutto Italia

Jan 9: Breakfast at Roaring Fork
Lunch at Pecos Bills
Dinner at Artist Point

Jan 10: Breakfast at Roaring Fork
Lunch at snack carts (Epcot)
Dinner at Rose & Crown

Jan 11: Breakfast at Roaring Fork
Lunch at Backlot Express

So I'll try to figure out how to post pictures, for those that I remembered to take. Strange enough, I had taken a lot of pictures of food on my trip prior to this one, in September 2010. But then I waited so long that I forgot everywhere we ate, so I never did a dining review. This time, I remembered to write things down in my sister's little notebook, but forgot to take pictures except at the TS places. So sorry there won't be pictures of all the meals, but there will be some!
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011

Last edited by jmm476; 03-08-2011 at 07:46 PM.
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Our first night - dinner at WPE

We arrived in Orlando on the evening of Jan 7, we were staying at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista for the one night. Once we arrived and realized how close we were to DTD, we decided to walk down there and find some dinner.

As we are walking, DD keeps talking about how he wants to go visit some chef that he remembers from a trip several years back. I had no idea what he was talking about, DM filled me in that he was talking about a chef at Wolfgang Pucks. I said there would probably be a really long wait if they were even taking walk ups, so we should just find somewhere else to eat. When we got to DTD, it was really crowded! It was marathon weekend and I think we weren't expecting such large crowds in January. So we walked by Earl of Sandwich, but DD and DS wanted something else. So we ended up at WPE. This was a first time there for all of us, we were pleased with the variety on the menu.

DM and I ordered the chicken pesto sandwich. DD ordered the butternut squash soup and turkey melt sandwich. DH ordered the meatloaf and DS got the BBQ chicken salad.

Here's the chicken pesto sandwich:

DM and I thought it was good, especially the chips on the side! There seemed to be a lot of lettuce inside the wrap, to the point where it almost seemed like a chicken caesar sandwich. I like those too, so I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I guess I just thought it would be a little bit different. We agreed we would give it a 7 out of 10.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of anyone else's meals that night, everyone was super hungry and dug in before I could say anything! I tasted DD's butternut squash soup, which I thought was really good. I've never had that kind of soup before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. DD has had it many times at a friend's house and he said it was good, but his friend's is better. He thought the turkey melt sandwich was ok, he wished he had ordered something else. Everyone liked the sweet potato fries that came on the side though. He gave the sandwich a 5.5 and his soup an 8 out of 10.

DH liked his meatloaf but didn't like that it came on mashed potatoes. But here's the weird part... he ate the mashed potatoes! So they must have been good for him to eat even some of them. I tried some also, as mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods and I thought they were really good. He wouldn't share his meatloaf though, which I think was wrapped in bacon. He gave it an 8.

DS liked her BBQ chicken salad, but I think after tasting our chips, she was wishing she had gotten a sandwich instead. She gave it a 7.5.
WDW Commando Member #75

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
jmm476
DIS Veteran

We walked around DTD for a while after dinner and I just had to share this picture from Goofy's Candy Company. It was too cute!

I'm amazed at some of the things they had in the cases there! We didn't buy anything though, because we were all too stuffed from dinner.
WDW Commando Member #75

Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

I'm in

Terri
tluvstink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Disney_Mama
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for the rest.....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

Great start! Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvstink View Post
I'm in

Terri
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I'm in!

I love WPE, that butternut squash soup is my favorite!
I thought the soup was amazing and I think I would be disappointed ordering it somewhere else. I think they had swirls of some kind of chili pepper oil in there which I thought gave it a great kick. We don't always find time for DTD during our trips and we hardly ever eat there. I might have to make WPE a regular stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Mama View Post
Can't wait for the rest.....
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenjess View Post
Great start! Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Welcome!
WDW Commando Member #75

Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
jmm476
DIS Veteran

I should also have mentioned in the intro that we were not on the DDP. Everything was OOP, as we took advantage of a room discount instead of free dining.

I'll be including my thoughts on DDP vs. OOP at the end.
WDW Commando Member #75

Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
POOHS3
Mouseketeer

I'm in. Can't wait to here your review of Tutto Italia. I can't decide whether to book it or Via Napoli. Tutto has my absolute favorite dessert of our last trip, the Copetta Sotto Bosco.
POOHS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHS3 View Post
I'm in. Can't wait to here your review of Tutto Italia. I can't decide whether to book it or Via Napoli. Tutto has my absolute favorite dessert of our last trip, the Copetta Sotto Bosco.
Welcome! Not to give too much away, but Tutto was given a lot of compliments from my picky eaters, as well as everyone else! I was nervous because of mixed reviews and the fact that my parents had adored Alfredo's when we had eaten there many years ago.
WDW Commando Member #75

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
jmm476
DIS Veteran

A few more thoughts on WPE...

I had almost forgotten to mention this, but was reminded as I was reading a review of the Pepper Market! I wasn't aware before going to WPE that they had waiters, even though it's counter service. Our waiter came over after we found a table and we had already filled our glasses (mostly with water). Our food arrived a short time later, and our water glasses were already empty. The waiter said he would bring us larger glasses of water. So we waited and waited and waited. By this time we were pretty much done eating. The waiter returned with our glasses and to clear our plates, apologizing for forgetting about our water. He then told us that at least he hadn't spilled a whole pitcher of water on us like he did this other woman a little earlier that night. But she had still left him a big tip. I wasn't sure if the reason he told us this story was to let us know that we were supposed to tip him?

So the family started whispering about tipping him and what was appropriate since he had forgotten our water refill, but he had brought our food while it was still hot, etc. We decided to hang for a little bit (it was late at night and there were plenty of empty tables so no one was waiting) and we watched the people around us. No one was leaving a tip on the table. Being that it was our first night in Disney (feeling the magic!), and I'm usually a generous tipper, I told my mom I was going to leave him some money. We ended up both leaving some money on the table, but weren't sure if we should wait around and make sure he got it. It was kind of weird.

So I'm just putting this out there - if you eat at WPE, do you tip? And how much? It doesn't seem worthy of the 20% that I normally leave. I don't want to start any arguments here, I'm just truly interested so I know next time I go there what I should do.
WDW Commando Member #75

Last edited by jmm476; 02-07-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Pizzafari Breakfast

It was our first day in the parks, and DH's birthday. He loves animals, so I had planned to spend the day at Animal Kingdom. Around 10, he complained that I hadn't let him eat breakfast (I was really excited to get checked into the hotel and get right to the park) so we made our way over to Pizzafari, as they are one of only 2 CS places in the park that serve breakfast (according to the map anyway). The other place, in case you're interested, is the little outdoor window that's across from Tusker House.

We checked out the menu, which was on a placard by the cashier stand, but it didn't explain the items. For instance, it listed breakfast pizza with no details about what came on it. So we asked the cashier and were told eggs, peppers and cheese. We ordered 2 pizzas, one for DH and one for DS and I to share. DM and DD each ordered an apple cinnamon muffin and coffee. We also ordered two orange juices. My parents went to get a table (there were like 10 people in the whole place, not sure why they were in a hurry ), while DH, DS and I waited for the food. It was ready quickly, I grabbed the tray and spilled the hot coffee all over my arm!

Thankfully it had been a chilly morning and I was wearing long sleeves which protected me from most of it. The cast members right away wiped everything down, asked me if I was ok and refilled the coffee. I was so embarassed so I said I was fine and took the tray to the table while DH and DS waited for the rest of the drinks. When I got to the table, I realized my arm was really hurting, so I used one of the ice cold juice bottles to cool it off. Luckily it wasn't anything serious, but it put a damper on my breakfast nonetheless.

Back to the food - the pizza was average breakfast pizza. I happen to really like breakfast pizza, but I think it was DS and DHs first time trying it. They thought it was great. I've had better, but I happen to eat it every Friday morning at work. I think our ratings average out to a 7. It's a personal size pizza with 4 slices. It was enough for DS and I to share, but DH could have eaten a second pizza just on his own.

DM and DD ate their apple cinnamon muffins, but they agreed it was kind of dry. They were glad to have something to drink to wash it down. They rated it a 5 out of 10, which I thought sounded generous considering their complaint, but I think we were all just in that Disney mood!

Sorry I don't have pictures to share, by the time I stopped tending to my arm and started eating, everyone else had finished their food. I didn't bother to take a picture of my half of the pizza.

As far as the cast members who work there, I'd give them a big thumbs up! I've read about corporate employees not asking if you're ok due to liability, etc. if something happens. 2 or 3 of the women behind the counter immediately came over when I spilled the coffee and seemed genuinely concerned about me.

Next up - snacks at Animal Kingdom! I think I've found a new must-have snack...
WDW Commando Member #75

Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Can't wait to hear about the dinner's, I have never been to any of the one's you went to, and I'm quite curious about AP since it is on my list to try
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Last edited by Disney Commando; 02-08-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Can't wait to hear about the dinner's, I have never been to any of the one's you went to, and I'm quite curious about AP since it is on my list to try
Hi Ron! Thanks for reading. My family had very mixed reviews of AP, so I'll try to give it a balanced review.
WDW Commando Member #75

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: