Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
disneybell11
finding my wings
 
disneybell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new york
Posts: 36

Talking best resort for teens?

hey all,
i'm taking a trip to wdw next july with my two best friends adri( will be 18) mike (will be 18) and myself (will be 17)
I can't decide which resort we should stay at
we're visiting all of the parks starting with magic kingdom for adri's birthday on the second day of our stay. we're going for 6 nights on the dxdp.
we want to be comfortable but also have a real disney experience.
any recomendations?
there isn't really a budget but obviously i don't want to spend toooo much.


also, any suggestions on how to make adri's birthday even more...magical?
i want to order a cake to be delivered to crt for dinner. should i request anything else?

THANKS
__________________

Last edited by disneybell11; 02-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.
disneybell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,815

I would go with Pop Century.

I think you guys would enjoy the "over the top" theming.

It is a Value Resort and would leave more money for Souvenirs,etc.as opposed to stayting at a Mod or Deluxe.

POP is a fun Resort:

The GREAT thing-ALL rooms at POP were just refurbished with all new EVERYTHING!

If you stay there,be sure to take time and check out the "Shadow Boxes" on the wall in the Lobby.Checking them out is called "Walkin' the Wall".

The arcade at POP is one of the 2 best at WDW along with the Contemporary Resort.There is a GREAT "Deal or No Deal" game there-you will see it straight ahead when you enter the Arcade.

You can see AND hear some of IllumiNations from parts of POP and you can see part of Wishes also.

The Food Court is one of the best on property as well-try the Mom's Night Out "TV Dinners".

Be sure to walk along Hourglass Lake and out onto Generation Gap Bridge if you stay there.

The music on the POP buses is awesome-a lot of 60s and 70s,etc. stuff(including TV theme songs and commercials).

At 8:00 AM everyday Cast Members and Guests do The Twist in the Food Court and at 6:00 PM they do The Hustle.If you do The Twist or The Hustle,you will get a cool button.

I hope you have a POPPIN" good time if you choose POP!



WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation
 
larryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 2FAR2MK
Posts: 7,219

Welcome to the boards!

YC/BC -- in the middle between Epcot and DHS, which have the predominance of "thrill rides" at WDW, as well as quick bus service to the other venues.

SAB is a great pool, and between B&C, Epcot and BWI food venues, you'll have a huge selection of choices to eat.

Have fun!
__________________
The secret ingredient in Dr Pepper is prune juice.
larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
asdfghjkl13
DIS Veteran
 
asdfghjkl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,189

I vote for Beach Club... the teens will LOOOOVE the pool there and it's a great location (near Epcot, BW, DHS). If not BC, try the Poly... the theme is excellent and it also has a great pool and it's on the monorail!
asdfghjkl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
PrincessVal
Mouseketeer
 
PrincessVal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 86

If you want a great Disney experience stay near your favorite park. At YC/BC you are right there near EPCOT and the Studios, that would be my choice. If you prefer MK then of course the Poly or something on the monorail would be a better.

I've done Pop and All Star when I went alone with friends because we were on a tighter budget and we still had a great time, but if you have the money to spend I would upgrade.
__________________
PrincessVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
pepperw23
Ouch, my brain hurts now
Do you have socks I can borrow?
Now I just need imadork.com and I will be good to go
 
pepperw23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 3,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
I would go with Pop Century.

I think you guys would enjoy the "over the top" theming.

It is a Value Resort and would leave more money for Souvenirs,etc.as opposed to stayting at a Mod or Deluxe.

POP is a fun Resort:

The GREAT thing-ALL rooms at POP were just refurbished with all new EVERYTHING!

If you stay there,be sure to take time and check out the "Shadow Boxes" on the wall in the Lobby.Checking them out is called "Walkin' the Wall".

The arcade at POP is one of the 2 best at WDW along with the Contemporary Resort.There is a GREAT "Deal or No Deal" game there-you will see it straight ahead when you enter the Arcade.

You can see AND hear some of IllumiNations from parts of POP and you can see part of Wishes also.

The Food Court is one of the best on property as well-try the Mom's Night Out "TV Dinners".

Be sure to walk along Hourglass Lake and out onto Generation Gap Bridge if you stay there.

The music on the POP buses is awesome-a lot of 60s and 70s,etc. stuff(including TV theme songs and commercials).

At 8:00 AM everyday Cast Members and Guests do The Twist in the Food Court and at 6:00 PM they do The Hustle.If you do The Twist or The Hustle,you will get a cool button.

I hope you have a POPPIN" good time if you choose POP!



ha ha. Your post had me ready to book today!!

OP- Have a great trip, and have fun planning! That is the best part. Oh yea...welcome to DIS
pepperw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,153

If you want to be close to MK, I'd go with the Poly . The tropical atmosphere is great and you have access to many dining options being on the monorail . If you'd rather be near Epcot/DHS, I'd go with the BC . The BC is a fun resort and being able to walk to Epcot & DHS is very convenient; plus you would have the boardwalk for nightly entertainment . But regardless of which resort you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time with your friends .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
CathieArms
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,009

Because y'all are still "kids" and because money is bound to be a bit tighter, I would strongly recommend POP...and it's where I'd suggest to my own dd who isn't quite your age but not too far off.

BC/YC is awesome and I think you'd enjoy it, but deep down in your hearts, y'all are still "kids." By that I mean that you want to have fun and you don't want to be made to feel hoity-toity, I wouldn't think. BC is my favorite resort, but the theming is targeted at more mature adults and, while it's a fun resort with the pool and everything, my guess is that y'all will be taking the most advantage of the parks until the wee hours of the morning. It seems silly to spend big bucks on a deluxe resort when you can enjoy the fun theming at POP at a lower cost for the amount of time you'll be at the resort.

That's just my opinion, though.
__________________
CathieArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
disneybell11
finding my wings
 
disneybell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new york
Posts: 36

thanks

wow! (or should i say gawrsh )
thanks for the feedback guys! and for the warm welcomes
__________________
disneybell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
disneybell11
finding my wings
 
disneybell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new york
Posts: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathieArms View Post
Because y'all are still "kids" and because money is bound to be a bit tighter, I would strongly recommend POP...and it's where I'd suggest to my own dd who isn't quite your age but not too far off.

BC/YC is awesome and I think you'd enjoy it, but deep down in your hearts, y'all are still "kids." By that I mean that you want to have fun and you don't want to be made to feel hoity-toity, I wouldn't think. BC is my favorite resort, but the theming is targeted at more mature adults and, while it's a fun resort with the pool and everything, my guess is that y'all will be taking the most advantage of the parks until the wee hours of the morning. It seems silly to spend big bucks on a deluxe resort when you can enjoy the fun theming at POP at a lower cost for the amount of time you'll be at the resort.

That's just my opinion, though.
you make a very valid point haha. thanks
__________________
disneybell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran
 
heidijanesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,681

My vote is the Poly

My teens loved the theme, pool, eating options and transportation. We were close to MK, could walk to the TTC for EPCOT.

Last July we got an awesome discount of 40percent off room rates, so hopefully there will be good discounts available again.
__________________


May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Stitch2244314
DIS Veteran
 
Stitch2244314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,298

I was a teen not too long ago.. (I'm 20 now )

I would think that the Epcot resort area would be great if you're looking to do deluxe. I just really enjoyed the whole atmosphere, and the location can't be beat, especially if you're planning to spend a lot of time at Epcot or DHS. We stayed at the BW and I thought it was great, so I would highly recommend that. We're giving the YC a try this August, and we visited the BC/YC last year, and I would recommend those too from what I saw.

If you're looking for a little more budget friendly, I'd recommend CBR for a moderate. If you like tropical, that's the place to be (as is the Poly but that's pricey.) The other mods I don't really see having much appeal to teens because of their theming, although I really did enjoy POFQ and POR.

And of course, I wouldn't be against the idea of a value either to save money and spend it on other things! Good luck deciding, and have a great trip!
__________________
May 1996: Off Site April 2002: ASMo May 2003 & 2004: Off Site June/July 2005: POFQ July 2006: POR August 2007: CBR July/August 2008: CSR & CBR May/June 2009: CBR July 2010: BWV August 2011: CBR July 2012: OKW & AKV-Jambo December 2012: POR-Royal Room July 2013: Yacht Club
Stitch2244314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,815

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperw23 View Post
ha ha. Your post had me ready to book today!!

OP- Have a great trip, and have fun planning! That is the best part. Oh yea...welcome to DIS
LOL

My first trip to WDW was in July,2003 and for my second trip in December,2003 I stayed at Pop Century during the first week it was open,so it will alway be "special" to me.

When POP first opened,people were calling it a "Val-mod Resort",because it "felt" like a step above the other Value Resorts and a step below the Moderates.

At one time in its history,POP also had an indoor Bar,Surrey Bikes were available and Frozen Coca Cola was an option at the Beverage Islands, which "separated" POP from the other 3 Values even more.

Oh yeah,POP is also the only place at WDW you can get this:
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
Mamu

DIS Veteran
A perennial favorite
My children call me "Mud Duck"
 
Mamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Mass
Posts: 7,462

Any resort in the boardwalk area.
__________________
MAMU A tradition passed down is an invisible thread that connects generations
Jedi Mike returning for SWW http://family.go.com/disneyjr-contes...er-mike-59596/

Mamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
gogo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 555

We just returned from the Poly in January. My teen son really enjoyed the hammocks by the lagoon. He would often hang out there listening to his ipod. He also enjoyed the quiet pool. The grounds with the tiki torches really give a cool atmosphere
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
best resorts, birthday, teens



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: