Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #121
PolyndianPrincessJes
Alias: TotalSnowWhite
I'm a Snapfish/Shutterfly/Winkflash addict
Yes, you totally can do that, and I do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann View Post
Op, what a gorgeous thread!

My family is native Hawaiian and I am seriously contemplating switching from 2nt cabins to Poly GV CL for our upcoming stay. DH and I are paying for it so the cost *freaks* me out, but it's my parents 40th. They havent been home to HI in nearly 20 years.

We've been to the resort on 3 separate occasions to dine and have never walked out past the lobby. Will my Hawaiian born parents be happy with this resort? I know it's supposed to represent the "Polynesian" islands, not just HI (Fiji, huh? ). We will prob not do the Luau since we've grown up with the real deal.

What say ye, Poly lovers?!?
I am Samoan, and my family has lived in Samoa and Hawaii, and we LOVE the Poly!! Of course it's a little kitschy, but, hey, it's Disney! I am also half Native, and our family really enjoys the decor of WL and don't find any of it to be demeaning. The only thing that I think I'll avoid with them is Hoop Dee Doo, as I ran across the "Indian Brave" skit on YouTube...definitely offensive. Take a look at Tikiman's site...it does a pretty good job of representing the resort.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #122
cjgref
Earning My Ears

Thanks and Help!

What a wonderful effort on your part. The photos are as beautiful as everyone says. I am returning to the Poly for my 3rd visit in July, but the first as a newleywed.

I am reaching out to the DIS community for help with advice. My fiancee and I are getting married on a Saturday morning, having a brunch reception then heading to WDW later that day. We are on a 5:30 flight from New England scheduled to get in around 8:30. I really want to make an arrival at the MK for the 10pm Wishes display. With 90 minutes to get there can anyone offer advice or info on ways to make the speediest trip from "Deplaning" to Main St.

We are flying Southwest on a direct flight that has a pretty good ontime rating, renting from Hertz on site and using our Annual Passes. Since we are staying long enough for us to have to check some bags, baggage pick up is an issue.

Any help would be appreciated. My fiancee and I have waited a long time to be married...the least I could do is give her real fireworks for "Happily Ever After"

Thanks....looking forward to your replies.
cjgref is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #123
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgref View Post
What a wonderful effort on your part. The photos are as beautiful as everyone says. I am returning to the Poly for my 3rd visit in July, but the first as a newleywed.

I am reaching out to the DIS community for help with advice. My fiancee and I are getting married on a Saturday morning, having a brunch reception then heading to WDW later that day. We are on a 5:30 flight from New England scheduled to get in around 8:30. I really want to make an arrival at the MK for the 10pm Wishes display. With 90 minutes to get there can anyone offer advice or info on ways to make the speediest trip from "Deplaning" to Main St.

We are flying Southwest on a direct flight that has a pretty good ontime rating, renting from Hertz on site and using our Annual Passes. Since we are staying long enough for us to have to check some bags, baggage pick up is an issue.

Any help would be appreciated. My fiancee and I have waited a long time to be married...the least I could do is give her real fireworks for "Happily Ever After"

I say skip the MK and watch the fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian. I think that would be much more romantic.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I hope your disneymoon is as magical as ours was!

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!! 2014 - Christmas at the Polynesian!
guitarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #124
dizneechic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

How awesome!
When flying Delta and renting a car we tend to get to the resort right at the 1:30 mark after touchdown. We rent from Dollar and use Dollar Express so bypass the whole rental car pick up line and go straight to the kiosk in the garage and are on our way. As you mentioned though picking up bags can be speedy or somewhat time consuming...

The 1st thing that comes to mind is ship your suitcases down ahead of time. Fed Ex and UPS both offer this service, you do it a week ahead of time and include all of your reservation info on it. Then just pack 2 carry ons with essentials for that night and the next day *just in case*. This way you can go straight from the plane to the rental counter (does Hertz offer an express option?) and scoot straight on over to the MK. That should save you anywhere from 15-30 minutes, plus if Hertz doesn't offer express you'll be ahead of the lines making their way from your flight to the rental counter.

Also have your toll money ready, A few singles is all you need, and have your AP's easily accessible at the gate so you can just drive on through without much chit chat. Depending on how early you get there you may just want to park at the poly and take the resort monorail straight to the MK, otherwise you'll park in the MK lot and possibly end up on a tram and then have to hop that monorail into the MK... going to the resort could end up quicker or at least equal time wise. Worst case if you cut it a little too tight you can watch Wishes from the Poly beach.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #125
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and welcome to the DIS.

For that first night, I think you'd be much more relaxed if you planned to watch Wishes from the beach rather than taking the time to go over to MK to watch. You're already pretty tight on time to get to Poly. There's no way to actually make it to MK in time. Wishes from the Poly beach is WONDERFUL!!! Just make sure you're near a speaker (green thing sticking up from the ground). If you sit near the Hawaii building then you should be able to hear the music.

DME will pick up your bags for you. I love this perk. Since you're arriving so late, just make sure that you have everything you may need for that night in your carryons (good advice for any time you travel actually) so you can request that your bags won't get delivered until morning.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #126
All American
DIS Veteran

*subscribing*

Just cancelled our April trip and switched to June and added a day. Can't wait!

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #127
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:

We agree with the others ... skip going to the MK and just head over to the Polynesian and watch the fireworks from the beach. Unfortunately with arriving at 8:30 pm, deplaning and collecting your luggage, then heading to the car rental and driving over to the Poly, you might be cutting it close for the 10 pm fireworks.

Personally I wouldn't chance it ... I'd suggest maybe just skipping the fireworks the first night and instead make arrangements to have a nice gift delivered to your resort for your wife. That way, you're not rushed and you're both not disappointed if you're not able to arrive on time for the fireworks. There are just so many variables you can't predict - like delays at the airport, your luggage taking a while to arrive at the baggage claim, problems with the car rental, accidents tying up traffic on the way to the Polynesian, not being able to find a place to park, etc - that can throw a kink into the best plans.

Wishes is shown every night, so if it were me, I'd plan to have a nice dinner one of the evenings we were in WDW, then head over to the Polynesian beach with plenty of time to spare.

Bonny

Cdn Friends of Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #128
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
DME will pick up your bags for you. I love this perk. Since you're arriving so late, just make sure that you have everything you may need for that night in your carryons (good advice for any time you travel actually) so you can request that your bags won't get delivered until morning.
That's only if you are using Magic Express ... the OP indicated they were renting a car from Hertz

Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #129
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
That's only if you are using Magic Express ... the OP indicated they were renting a car from Hertz
OP said they're renting from Hertz onsite so I figured that meant CCC (I've always taken onsite to mean somewhere within the boundaries of WDW) meaning that they'd need some other way to get there. If I misunderstood that then ignore my advice about DME.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #130
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
OP said they're renting from Hertz onsite so I figured that meant CCC (I've always taken onsite to mean somewhere within the boundaries of WDW) meaning that they'd need some other way to get there. If I misunderstood that then ignore my advice about DME.
The Car Care Center is Alamo/National. The only Hertz location on Disney property is at the Shades of Green Resort.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #131
Aanna
Lurker

May I suggest planning a secondary layer of wonderfulness for your arrival in case you miss the fireworks? If everything goes perfectly the fireworks on the Poly beach will be very nice, but IMHO the stress level if something *is* late will be unpleasant.

Perhaps order flowers and a bottle of champagne to be in your room waiting for you arrival? A champagne toast in the moonlight on your balcony at midnight is extremely romantic... and an iced bottle of champagne won't mind so much if you arrive a few minutes later.

Then, if you arrive in time for the fireworks, great! If not, you still have something special to look forward to.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #132
mkbmom
Earning My Ears

Newby Here!!

Hi everyone!!

I am a new poster but have been a reader for a long time. So here goes.

We are staying at Poly for the first time 2/26 - 3/4. This is our first time at Poly but have stayed at every other property except for Carribean Beach and Wilderness Cabins. I have been over 150 time to my "happy place" since I am a native Floridian but now live in Georgia with DH, DD11 and twin DD's who will be turning 7 during our trip.

So my question is how early do we need to be on the beach for Wishes? My hubbies question is can he use his refillable mug for Dole Whips like he can use them for frozen cokes at Pop Century.

Thanks for any help. I love this thread! It has been very helpful these last couple months.
mkbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #133
dizneechic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbmom View Post
I am a new poster but have been a reader for a long time. So here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbmom View Post
So my question is how early do we need to be on the beach for Wishes? My hubbies question is can he use his refillable mug for Dole Whips like he can use them for frozen cokes at Pop Century.
In high season IF you want a chair you should be there about 20 minutes before hand (or earlier). In moderate weeks we've gone to the beach about 5 minutes before hand and has no issues. It kind of depends on the crowd at the resort, I think it really can vary the amount of people who head to the beach vs the parks. In Jan when we were there the beach was for the most part empty every night, end of Aug was more crowded but heading out 5-10 minutes before hand was more than enough time to get a few chairs (3) for our family of 5 (although we watched from the CL lounge a lot that trip).

As for Dole Whips in the refillable mugs, I believe that is a no no, I think the mugs are solely for fountain types of beverages. The location of the 2 items is also separate, the fountain drinks are around the corner from the condiments, where the dole whips are against the wall with the fridges. When you purchase a dole whip they give you a special bowl to use, so it would be blatantly obvious you were using something unintended there. It would be fabulous if you could but it's probably better for all of our waistlines that you couldn't.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #134
autismmom1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the opinions on my bell services question! I can't quite figure out how to "quote" more than one response on the same quick reply and I have searched the "newbies" information post with no luck....but I just wanted to say I appreciate you guys and love the fact that the Dis board posters are so willing to help with even the smallest questions. You guys are awesome!
autismmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #135
shocky5
DIS Veteran

Agree with everyone else! This is a wonderful thread!

I have a couple of questions - as a family, the Poly is the only resort we have stayed and will be staying there again this December. Maybe some of you will know these answers:

1) We are staying club level this time - but our plane will not arrive at the airport until 9:45 p.m. and club level check in ceases at 10 p.m. What does this mean exactly? Will we check-in as we have in the past in the GCH? I don't anticipate we will arrive until close to 11 p.m.

2) Those who have stayed club level - what are your thoughts about giving over the ADR's to be made to the IPO? Do you feel comfortable letting the IPO make them on your behalf or do you prefer to still make them yourselves? In what planning aspects of your trip do you commonly utilize the IPO's assistance?

TIA!!!

The Last of the OCD Type A Planners to get her TR started - December 2011 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post43707322

Feb'15*PHM*AKL*May'14*AOA Vacation*Dec'11*Poly Xmas*May'09*Poly Vacation*June'07*Poly Vacation*Feb'89*MK-EP*offsite*June'88*Disneyland*offsite*February'88* EP*offsite
shocky5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: