Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #151
pink5683
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone!

Thanks guitarob for the great thread! It's gorgeous!

I just sent my dining requests to the Poly IPO this week, since my 180 is next Wednesday. I got a great, specific response from them (not just something canned). It was great to start getting that "personal touch" feel from my first CL trip more than 6 months out!

I am usually a super control freak like many of you, but I am trying to let go of the reins a little bit this time around. We will see how it goes! we aren't trying for any super difficult ADRs so I am not too worried, but I know I will be a little nervous until I hear back from the IPO saying that we got everything.

We are doing the 'Ohana breakfast for DS who told us that he wants to see Pluto and Stitch (even though he has never seen Lilo and Stitch ). Has anyone done it before (I'm sure you have )? Did you enjoy it? We are going for the earliest reservation, since we are early birds, any idea if it will be more or less crowded that early? When we did an early CP breakfast last march, it was great because it was pretty empty when we got there so we got a little bit of extra time with the characters.

pink5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #152
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Thank you for your compliment!

The 'Ohana breakfast is good, the atmosphere is light and fun, the character interaction is wonderful, and they don't rush you through. We found the food to be a bit mediocre though, it's definitely not on par with an 'Ohana dinner. We didn't run into a huge crowd last September. The place was busy, but not overly so.

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!! 2014 - Christmas at the Polynesian!
guitarob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #153
cinmell
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there LOVES U2 & COACH bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink5683 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks guitarob for the great thread! It's gorgeous!

I just sent my dining requests to the Poly IPO this week, since my 180 is next Wednesday. I got a great, specific response from them (not just something canned). It was great to start getting that "personal touch" feel from my first CL trip more than 6 months out!

I am usually a super control freak like many of you, but I am trying to let go of the reins a little bit this time around. We will see how it goes! we aren't trying for any super difficult ADRs so I am not too worried, but I know I will be a little nervous until I hear back from the IPO saying that we got everything.

We are doing the 'Ohana breakfast for DS who told us that he wants to see Pluto and Stitch (even though he has never seen Lilo and Stitch ). Has anyone done it before (I'm sure you have )? Did you enjoy it? We are going for the earliest reservation, since we are early birds, any idea if it will be more or less crowded that early? When we did an early CP breakfast last march, it was great because it was pretty empty when we got there so we got a little bit of extra time with the characters.
Did IPO contact you first or did you initiate contact? My 180 day mark is 2 weeks from yesterday and I'm not sure if I should email IPO or give it another week or so to see if they contact me. I've read that some have been contacted prior to the 180 day mark and others have not.

~~My husband never thought anyone would read my post nevermind respond to it!~~
cinmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #154
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Here is some pics of the cabanas from a trip report on Steve's website posted with his permission.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
carlnix30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #155
Bolebrothers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmell View Post
Did IPO contact you first or did you initiate contact? My 180 day mark is 2 weeks from yesterday and I'm not sure if I should email IPO or give it another week or so to see if they contact me. I've read that some have been contacted prior to the 180 day mark and others have not.
Hi there, we actually initiated contact, since we booked online, and do live in a land far,far away. One or the other was the reason they did not initiate first contact.. Since then they have been fabulous they have helped us with special arrangements, spa appointments, Chef´s wine tasting dinners and Fantasmic packages. And since we live where we do, it was real nice to get help via e-mail instead of several long distance calls. And always quick to reply.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #156
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

cinmell. . .

Quote:
If they haven't contacted you yet, I would go ahead and contact IPO with any requests you may have. There is no point in waiting. Just be sure to include your reservation # and dates in your e-mail and IPO will handle arranging your plans from there. Guests slip through the cracks all the time and better to be proactive than upset IF you happen to be one of those missed guests.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #157
pink5683
Mouseketeer

Quote:

They contacted us, and sent us a form to fill out with all of our requests (dining, tours, etc.). I would send an email to the IPO and just say that you haven't heard anything from them yet and you would like to have them make your dining reservations.

pink5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #158
Bolebrothers
Earning My Ears

And on a total different topic, it was so fun when I discovered WDW new webpages today, all of a sudden i got a great big picture of the poly, and the text "Soon you´ll be here at Disney´s Polynesian Resort"
And Donald stating, 71 days to your vacation.
Kinda geeky and cool, I just had to share the fun
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #159
cwooten2006
Earning My Ears

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post

My best advice on this is always to expect nothing more than the room you pay for. Now, seriously, I'm not trying to be a downer, but the fact of the matter is that, in reality, upgrades are few and far between.

As I've said before to others, don't over think your trip. It is so easy to get caught up in trying to nail down every little detail (and the disboards are a great place to get carried away from reality very quickly), and that can actually detract from the trip in the case that something doesn't go exactly as planned or hoped for.

I approach every trip thanking the good Lord that I get to stay at the Polynesian again, and leave the rest up to Disney magic.

I hope that you do have a magical and wonderful anniversary. The fact that you'll be celebrating it at the Polynesian and in WDW should pretty much guarantee that. Relax, have a blast, and let the Disney World work it's magic

You're going to have an awesome trip no matter what room you're in
I know you are absolutely correct. I honestly am ecstatic that we can afford to stay here thanks to my AP discount this year. We've talked about going to Disney, maybe to AK (with Savanna view) before for our anniversary, but I think I am going to really like this more. But I could probably camp & enjoy my Disney stay, such is the magic of Disney! But I sure wouldn't turn down whatever comes my way thanks to a little Pixie Dust!

I've never messed with requests during our previous trips, with the exception of requesting a first-floor room because my old-man husband (who is only 35!) has bad knees. That having been said, are there elevators at the Poly???

Also, I have a question regarding dinners. We currently have ressies at Coral Reef for our anniversary because we enjoy the lobster bisque, and I'm always happy with a good steak and he's a seafood person. We have several aquariums in our house, so we feel right at home there too! (And a little jealous!) Does anyone know if they would try to accommodate a request to be seated next to the aquarium?

We're doing La Nouba on Saturday, so we're planning to go to the House of Blues in DTD for dinner. Those will both be new experiences.

Then Sunday - our last day - we decided to go back to Poly to eat, then partake in the Electrical Water Pageant (never seen before) and Wishes from the beach. Currently the only reservations I could get were for Kona (a little before 7). That should give us plenty of time to get to the beach and set up camp for the parade & fireworks right? Any recommendations for beach locations?

I am going to keep checking to see if 'Ohana has availability instead. Poly lovers - which restaurant is better for dinner??? I can't make up my mind. From Kona, the Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop and Teriyaki-style New York Strip both sound good. 'Ohana's dinner offerings sound pretty good too though. I've never been to either - but do have breakfasts scheduled for each. I'm looking forward to trying the Tonga Toast!

Thanks for all the help! 2 weeks until my anniversary - 13 days until we check into the Poly! :

And then again - 5 weeks from today - it's POR with the our kids, my mom, & my oldest sister! That's a 9 day stay - yay!

Thanks to both trips, I have an AP this year (hubby too)! Since I'd hate for it to go to waste (ha!), does anyone remember when they generally release AP discounted rates for the week between Christmas & New Years??? I am so pathetic, aren't I? Already wanting to plan ANOTHER trip this year. But hey, I have to check up on my castle. My grandma's nickname for me was "Cinderelly" so I feel entitled! Besides, we went for that week back in 2008/2009 and LOVED it. It's just a whole different experience & I'd love to do it again.
Summer 1985 - Offsite, March 2007 - POR (1st trip for hubby & kids!), March 2008 - CBR, December 2008-January 2009 - POR, February 2011 - 5th Anniversary trip to the Polynesian , March 2011 - Booked at POR (will be my mom's first trip since 1985!)

cwooten2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #160
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

Our trip is May 10th but we just paid off our hotel this week, does anyone know when we can expect our ME tags? What else should we expect to receive? Thanks!!!!!

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
lindsroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #161
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

What would you do?

We're heading down to WDW in June, the 3rd-12th, and I would like some advice from all of you Poly vets. DH and I have been playing with numbers and this is what we've come up with. Having never stayed at the Poly, I'm thankful just to be going, but would like some opinions on what everyone would do in this situation.

~9 nights Garden view and pocket lots of extra cash!
~9 nights Lagoon view and hope, hope, hope we get our request of Tahiti
~8 nights Club level and a moderate for the first night we're in town

Which would you choose?

Have you ever made just a general building request (no specific floor or anything) and NOT get your request? We would really like Tahiti if we choose LV.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #162
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Here are more pics of the cabanas at the poly courtesy of steve's website.
posted with his permission.

These look great.

Has anyone actually rented one?

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
carlnix30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #163
rcsilverspring
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolebrothers View Post
And on a total different topic, it was so fun when I discovered WDW new webpages today, all of a sudden i got a great big picture of the poly, and the text "Soon you´ll be here at Disney´s Polynesian Resort"
And Donald stating, 71 days to your vacation.
Kinda geeky and cool, I just had to share the fun
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Could you please share the link to this webpage?
I'd love to send it to my DDs who we are taking to the Poly in May?
Thanks in advance.
BTW, 96 days, 5 hours and 15 min!!!!! WooHoo!!

June 1989-Polynesian, June 1991-Polynesian June 2008-FINALLY back to the Polynesian after 17 years!!!!
May 2011- headed back "home" to the Poly! Dec. 2012-Girls only trip to WL to finally see the Christmas decorations (Sorry Poly)
]
rcsilverspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #164
Bolebrothers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsilverspring View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Could you please share the link to this webpage?
I'd love to send it to my DDs who we are taking to the Poly in May?
Thanks in advance.
BTW, 96 days, 5 hours and 15 min!!!!! WooHoo!!
The webpage is the normal Disney one: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/
You need to log in with your user name and PW. Then retrive your reservation from the menu on the left, you will have "Price your vacation" and"My reservations" on the left there. Choose My reservations.
The next time you access the site (at least that was how it worked for me)
You will se the Poly picture and the welcome frontpage.
It is the normal Disneyworld front page, it is just the picture and information on there that changes.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #165
mrsswat
Irishtinksmama

Poly music

do they sell the Poly music anywhere? Thanks
mrsswat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: