Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Port Orleans French Quarter vs Wilderness Lodge Transportation

Hi everyone,
I've been changing my mind recently (several times a day) on whether to stay with our current booking in November at Port Orleans French Quarter, or to change it to Wilderness Lodge. I've read several things about transportation problems at POFQ, though I know it has a direct Magic Kingdom bus service (why I booked in the first place). We won't be spending too long in our hotel during the week we're there but we DO want to dine at other Disney hotels (i.e. Contemporary, Grand Floridian). So my questions are:

1. What's the POFQ bus transport like? Is it reliable?

2. How long do you normally find it takes to travel to each of the parks on the bus from POFQ?

3. How much would a taxi cost from Contemporary/Grand Floridian back to the FQ?

4. Is the Wilderness Lodge transportation better? Is it easier getting to the other hotels and parks or are you just paying for a nicer hotel, not better transport? I know you can take the boat at WL but is that more efficient?

5. Is an upgrade to Wilderness Lodge worth the extra $1000 for the week for better transportation to the parks?

We're not on a super tight budget but we're not made of money either. I'd love to stay at a monorail hotel but we just can't afford that. If we don't move to the WL, the money we don't spend can be spent in the parks and a few signature dining meals. Since we're coming from Australia we do want this to be a special first trip so reading a few nightmare stories about taking a couple of hours to get back to the French Quarter worried me.

I'd appreciate all your input.

Thank you all for helping me out!

Last edited by Royal Consort; 03-28-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
deakam
DIS Veteran

You have chosen my 2 favorite resorts. Wilderness Lodge is beautiful. The transportation is great to the Magic Kingdom and there is a boat to the Contemporary which makes it easy to get to the other monorail resorts. However, we waited nearly an hour for a Downtown Disney Bus and all of the buses stop at the Grand Floridian and sometimes the Poly. The bus back from Epcot stops at the fort Wilderness campground which made it rather crowded, though it does drop off at the Lodge first.

POFQ is one of our faves because it is nice and compact and the boat to downtown Disney is really a nice little trip. The week we stayed there we only had one bad bus experience. That was an early evening trip to Epcot. The one and only time we shared a bus with POR. They jammed us in until it was hard to breath.

Because POFQ is an Epcot resort it is somewhat centrally located and takes about 20 minutes to each park. However you can never really count on this because of traffic and such.

We usually only stay at the Wilderness when the only discount available is a room discount. 30% off is a really good price. So in my opinion if you are not getting a discount I would stay at POFQ and spend the extra cash on other things, like dinner at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I agree with pp. We have stayed at FQ several times and WL once (just last Sept.). We found the buses/boats to be great ways to travel and didn't have any issues from either resort. That being said, you can have an unexpected circumstance that creates a longer wait from any resort. They happen. But the times we stayed at FQ we seldom shared a bus with POR and when we did, it was never a problem as we were first on and first off. The boat from FQ to DTD is a big plus for us as well. You'll hear nightmare stories about every resort at Disney, so don't base your decision on that. I would save the $$ and keep the POFQ ressie. Good luck and have a magical stay, wherever you decide!

ETA: The best way to get to the Grand Floridian or Contemporary from POFQ would be to take a bus to MK and get the boat to GF or the monorail to GF or Cont. Also, you can walk to the Contemporary from outside MK. A taxi would probably about $15 each way if that would make you feel better about timing. Can't put a price tag on peace of mind! The concierge would be happy to help you with getting a taxi.

Last edited by disneychic2; 03-28-2012 at 07:05 AM.
disneychic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Thanks disneychic2 and deakam, really helpful advice.

You've convinced me to stay with the reservation at the French Quarter. As we're a couple of adults, we're not really concerned with the pool or having a kid friendly theme. That money would probably be better spent on experiences within the park as we will be using the room at night as a home base.

Thank you both!
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

The MK transportation from POFQ is much more efficient bc it doesn't share buses with POR. Depending on what time of year you go, to all of the other parks you may be making 4 extra stops at all 4 Riverside stops.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
You have chosen my 2 favorite resorts. Wilderness Lodge is beautiful. The transportation is great to the Magic Kingdom and there is a boat to the Contemporary which makes it easy to get to the other monorail resorts. However, we waited nearly an hour for a Downtown Disney Bus and all of the buses stop at the Grand Floridian and sometimes the Poly. The bus back from Epcot stops at the fort Wilderness campground which made it rather crowded, though it does drop off at the Lodge first.

POFQ is one of our faves because it is nice and compact and the boat to downtown Disney is really a nice little trip. The week we stayed there we only had one bad bus experience. That was an early evening trip to Epcot. The one and only time we shared a bus with POR. They jammed us in until it was hard to breath.

Because POFQ is an Epcot resort it is somewhat centrally located and takes about 20 minutes to each park. However you can never really count on this because of traffic and such.

We usually only stay at the Wilderness when the only discount available is a room discount. 30% off is a really good price. So in my opinion if you are not getting a discount I would stay at POFQ and spend the extra cash on other things, like dinner at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge.
Thanks for your input. These are our two favorite resorts also, and transportation seems to be the one item that we always consider. We also only stay at the WL if we get a good discount.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: