Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #481
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

you're not done are you???

please tell me you have more pics to post.

i think i'll cry if you're done
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #482
HallsInTheKingdom
Mouseketeer

Enjoying every moment with you!

Cass, Thanks for sharing! Love to see and hear all the new nuances of this DREAM ship. I am on day 3 of reading through this thread and I had to comment on your Cabanna's Lunch Day At Sea.

OMG SUSHI ROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to reading on. Great work so far.

www.facebook.com/amyhall.fl SSR Owner since 3/2008
Sep07 DCL- May08 SSR - Sep09 AKV Jambo - Nov09 DCL- Dec09 BWV (DISapalooza) - Jan10 OKW - Feb10 CSR - Mar10 Pop Century - May10 BWV - Sep10 THV - Oct10 AKL - Nov10 AKL - Jan11 BLT - Nov11 DCL Nov12 SSR - Mar13 AKL - Sep13 BLT (MNSSHP) - Dec13 DCL&SSR - Jun15 Aulani HI
HallsInTheKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #483
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
you're not done are you???

please tell me you have more pics to post.

i think i'll cry if you're done
I still have a few more chapters....just been busy with some other stuff lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsInTheKingdom View Post
Cass, Thanks for sharing! Love to see and hear all the new nuances of this DREAM ship. I am on day 3 of reading through this thread and I had to comment on your Cabanna's Lunch Day At Sea.

OMG SUSHI ROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to reading on. Great work so far.
Thanks Yeah, I was so impressed with the variety they had in Cabanas
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #484
Timon

DIS Junkie

Castaway Cay Part 1

The last time I had been to Castaway Cay was in October 2009 so I hadn't seen any of the new changes that Disney had made in order to make room for the extra passengers the Dream would be carrying. To say the least, I was super impressed!

I had read about some things online...Pelican Plunge, Spring-a-Leak and the private cabanas, Cookies Too...but I didn't know that there was a whole new beach!!! WOW!!!

They did a great job and although our ship wasn't full (2700) I didn't see any crowds anywhere!! I'm used to the super crowded family beach and then large crowds at Cookies but this trip was very different!

I wanted to see all the new things so instead of just enjoying a nice relaxing day at the beach, I made sure to experience and photograph/video all the new offerings. Actually, I original had planned to bring my book that I started on the flight down and catch a few hours in the shade at Serenity Bay but two things happened that changed those plans...

1-We were told that the AEP was able to get their hands on a Private Cabana for us to check out, which was only available between 10:30 am and 1:00pm and since this would be the only time I would ever be able to see them, it was important for me to get there!

2-As soon as I got on the island, I came down with a bad case of the guilties...this was where I REALLY started to miss my family. Here I was on the new Dream, now I was stepping onto the gorgeous Castaway Cay...all without my daughter and husband. I walked past the first beach where I saw all these little girls playing in the sand and water and my heart just started aching.

This is where I realized that I don't just LOVE Disney because I love Disney, I love it soooo much because I can share it with Rob and Kira. Without them, I just didn't feel right about it all. I could definitely feel a huge emptiness inside me and I decided just to do what I came for and get back to the ship ASAP!

We took our time getting off, we had breakfast at RP and I think we stepped off the ship at about 9:30am.

Have to admit, it was the BEST weather (for my liking!) I've ever had at CC. It was warm but not hot. Normally I am sweating throughout my whole Disney vacation (we normally go in October) and it was nice not to feel like I am about to pass out

My first priority was to experience Pelican Plunge. Honestly, because I knew it was for older kids, I didn't know very much about it. I didn't take the time to research it because it didn't apply to me. But now that I will be talking to clients who will want to know about it, I wanted to do it and speak from experience!

I had no idea just how far out you had to swim to get to it! As I passed by the CM, he asked me if I was a good swimmer, which I am, but yeah...you really need to be a pretty good swimmer to enjoy these babies!

The first thing that struck me was how FREEZING cold the water was!! Normally it's cool in October but never cold. Well, this was the first time I ever questioned whether or not I wanted to swim at CC LOL! Of course, I wanted to do this so I plunged right in to get it over with as once I started swimming, it was all good.

It wasn't too deep on the way out but it was quite a bit deeper where the slides dump you out! I did both of them and the covered one is much faster! They were both very fun and I loved every minute of it. Kira won't be doing these for a very long time

If it wasn't for trying to hit the Cabana right at 10:30, I would have gone a few more times on each one. The only thing I didn't like about them (and it's a personal thing) is the salt water up my nose..blech lol!

Here's some general photos of CC...I will post the Cabanas and Serenity Bay in their own chapters.

They had water out for the 5K runners

Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #485
Timon

DIS Junkie

Castaway Cay Part 2

Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #486
Timon

DIS Junkie

Castaway Cay Part 3

Back to the ship by 12pm....that is a record LOL!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #487
Timon

DIS Junkie

Serenity Bay

We took the tram over to SB just to be able to take photos and video...we spent all of 5 minutes there I think and then took the tram back

Another record

Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #488
Timon

DIS Junkie

Private Cabanas Part 1

When I first heard about the private cabanas, I just thought they were a total waste of time and another way for DCL to suck more money out from it's passengers. I mean $499 That's crazy!!

But after seeing one for myself, I totally would get one if I had the money

All but one of these babies were rented for the day and I can see why! Apparently they book up fast so if you want one, make sure to reserve one as soon as you get on the ship! You can't do it online, at least not yet anyway.

There is a check-in area for the Private Cabanas right as you get off of the tram and they even have a little golf cart to take you to your cabana!

Your family name is written on the Cabana # (nice touch DCL!) and it is stocked with things like water, pop,chips, fresh fruit and cold towels inside the fridge LOL! There was even sand toys for the kids.

You can make a call and get more of these things, it's like having concierge service for the day.

It was a long walk down to #15 though!

I love that they have their own little beach area.

I can see some people totally loving these but for the average joe, it's too pricey and not worth it.

Here's some pics...

Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #489
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Another amazing update! Thank you for taking the time to take so many detailed photos -- I really appreciate it. The cabanas do look nice, but we had such a wonderful day at CC without one (they weren't there then) that I don't know that it would be worth the money for me...

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #490
Timon

DIS Junkie

Private Cabanas Part 2

Ok, now for a little venting from me....(AEP thing, not DCL thing)

When we got to the Cabana, there were only two other agents there, along with the 2 trainers. We got there first thing to make sure we had the least amount of people in our shots. Well, we spent a good few minutes outside of the cabana in order to let these two women get shots without us in them, just a simple courtesy thing, right. So when it was taking awhile for them to come out, we decided to just go in and get as many shots as possible around them. We took photos and video (well, we tried!) for about 15+ minutes (plus the 10 mins we waited outside) and these ladies never left! They just all congregated in the cabana chatting away!!

We made polite little comments to each other (that we knew they would hear) about trying to get a shot without people in it and they still didn't move their butts!

Finally, after another 10 minutes of them gabbing and standing right in the middle, Michelle asked one of the trainers if she would mind moving to the side a little so she could get a good shot and all four of them totally copped an attitude and got all pissy!!

Come on people...you've been here for over 30 minutes now, you got your shots, now leave and let others get them!! I mean, the whole point of doing this is so that we can advertise it tell our clients about it, so what's up with the attitude? I wasn't impressed that one of the trainers never even tried to get out of the way for us. The other one did, which was nice but they both should realize that we are there to get photos/videos of the cabanas!! It's always nice not to have shots without other people in them!

So, the one lady...in the black cover-up...rolled her eyes and left the cabana and since Michelle wanted more pics, I left too...well on my way out....the chick in black took a photo of me AND the Cabana.

I told her "Let me get out of the way so you can get a shot of the Cabana without ME in it"

To which she replied "That's OK, I WANTED someone in the shot!"

Well, I had overheard that she was doing a live podcast and reviews on her agency's website and I didn't want to end up on it so I said to her..

"Well, as long as it doesn't end up on the internet!"

and she said...

"Oh it will!"

I was FURIOUS at this snotty little B!!! She had absolutely no common courtesy and now she was specifically doing something I asked her NOT to do!!!

Now, I have a very large presence on the internet and I post a lot of pics but I always try my best to get shots with nobody in them...sometimes you just can't help it but if someone specially asked me NOT to post a photo with them in it, I soooo wouldn't post it!! Or at the very least, I would crop them out!

So you can just imagine how pissed I was!! I followed her all the way down as far as I could in the hopes of getting a shot of her face to specifically post it here in the hopes that she would see it and it would irritate her.

She never once turned around though...so sorry about the ugly a$$ shot....but I am still totally posting this....it's just who I am

Never did find out which agency she was with so I could write a nice letter to the owner

Do I seem a little bitter to you?? LOL!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #491
Darkrobe
Cloning around in the Galaxy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerneeds View Post
AHHHH.. i want that Day and Night Vinylmation set!!
who's going on a cruise soon?
Yeah, I wanted those too after I seen them. How do they look on your shelf?

TC-7623 www.tc-7623.ca
Member of the 501st Badlands Garrison: www.badlands.ca
Darkrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #492
Darkrobe
Cloning around in the Galaxy!

Talking

That's one my favourite photos Babe, thanks for thinking of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Private Cabanas Part 1

When I first heard about the private cabanas, I just thought they were a total waste of time and another way for DCL to suck more money out from it's passengers. I mean $499 That's crazy!!

But after seeing one for myself, I totally would get one if I had the money
For $500, you should get a Deed for the Day from Disney as a keepsake, at least you'll have something to show for it.
Yup, for 8hrs you had your own piece of Castaway Cay!

TC-7623 www.tc-7623.ca
Member of the 501st Badlands Garrison: www.badlands.ca

Last edited by Darkrobe; 02-16-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Darkrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #493
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrobe View Post
Yeah, I wanted those too after I seen them. How do they look on your shelf?
I sent Mike & Robin the Donald Duck ones not the Day and Night ones

Sheeesh, those D & N vinyls are getting me into so much trouble

Peace and Love
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #494
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrobe View Post
That's one my favourite photos Babe, thanks for thinking of us!
Every second of every day babe
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #495
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

ok - so i don't understand something.

you can be 38" to ride the fast slides at CC but you have to be 48" to ride the much slower slide on the ship???

am i missing something about the slide on the ship? why do you have to be 10 inches taller to ride it?
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: