Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
themollendorns
Mouseketeer

What kind of shoes?

Ok, I just saw a post about picking a type of flip-flop but that reminded me I haven't even begun to consider what type of shoes the kids will wear.

Our kids, especially my youngest, refuses to wear sneakers. He (Currently) insists on wearing his crocs or cowboy boots. So, my question is other than sneakers what do you suggest?

Crocs? We love our crocs but are they good for all day trips at the parks? Last time my son wore his crocs but my other son has wider feet and I worry they will rub the wrong way.

Thanks again, you guys are so helpful and full of knowledge!!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I wore sneakers most of the time and did well in them. The day I tried my crocs I got blisters within a couple of hours at HS. I had to buy band-aids and wear a pair of DH's socks.

DH and the kids wore Keen sandals with socks. I know they don't look pretty, but they didn't get blisters.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
DReynolds86
Best in the World

New Balance sneakers. You're good all day long, like Adrian Peterson.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
mafiofiddler
Earning My Ears

You could try Teva sandals for the kids... Great for the water rides in MK & AK!
mafiofiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
whitneyNC
DIS Veteran

We don't do sneakers either. Keens are great. Teva Mush flops are great. And we love Crocs. Sneakers are no good for wet rides and misters and rainstorms...

boys, boys, boys!
whitneyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
kari B.
Mouseketeer

Seriously, we have shoe issues all the time. Crocs are fine for a while... lol... If we are going to be at the parks for the whole day, we bring a change of shoes and store them in a locker. When the first pair of shoes start hurting or rubbing, we change into a new pair for relief. It works!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
cooldadtexas
Earning My Ears

My kids love the Keens. They have enough ventilation for when it's hot and dry quickly when wet. They are expensive but worth it my opinion. We have gone to Disney 6 times 7 days each time with no blisters.
cooldadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
ToyStory Fan
Space Ranger

Couple points on shoes

1) I don't like anything open toe - due to the crowds and step on factor
2) DD had Crocs one trip and they gave her horrible blisters
3) if your crocs are worn down - they get VERY VERY slippery on any slightly wet surface, even concrete.
4) If you are going to wear a new pair of sneakers don't make the mistake of a new 3/4 or hi top style (especially if you don't normally wear this style) as it will result in serious irritation and blistering of your achilles area to the point you will not be able to walk and be forced to buy a new pair of running low cut style sneakers at downtown disney (this happened to me as you can tell by the explicit detail provided)
5) KEENS work GREAT...especially for waterparks, and especially on a day where rain may be in the forecast.

For our next trip I may experiment with my Vibram KSO Five Finger Shoes, definitely for waterpark, but possibly even for some park-going. Not sure if it will be worth the point and stare or the look at that guy's feet - what is he wearing comments - or the stop and explain yes they are shoes, yes they are comfortable.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

My ds13 always wears tennis shoes (except on Kali river rapids he brings flip flops) My dd16 always wears rainbows or sanuks and my dd3 wears crocs or tennis shoes I usually don't go out and buy new shoes for them its what they have been wearing since they are broken in. I did buy my dd3 some new Bambi birkenstocks last week (because they were soooo cute) to wear so she has started too breaks those in for our trip in April.

I always wear crocs( balarina style with strap in back) or my sanuks and have always been comfortable.

DH always wears his New Balance tennis shoes!

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
ktlm
DIS Veteran

My DD isn't much of a sneaker kid either. We let her wear whatever shoes she can comfortably wear for extended periods at home. We do have a trick that I learned on the disboards. Get a product called Body Glide to prevent blisters. They sell it at most jogging or biking stores, some sporting goods stores, and you can get it online. I used to always get blisters at WDW before finding out about it. We put it all over all our feet every morning at WDW before putting our shoes on and going out to the parks. I have not had a blister in the 4 WDW trips, and 1 DL trip that I have used it. DD has never had a blister at Disney. I usually get blisters every time I get a pair of new shoes too, and now I use Body Glide with new shoes and I rarely get blisters then either.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
BucsTex
Passing the Magic to a third generation!

I just posted about this is regard to wet rides. Here's what I'm planning on wearing, Omnium from Teva:

Here's my Pre-Trip Thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2648984
BucsTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by themollendorns View Post
Ok, I just saw a post about picking a type of flip-flop but that reminded me I haven't even begun to consider what type of shoes the kids will wear.

Our kids, especially my youngest, refuses to wear sneakers. He (Currently) insists on wearing his crocs or cowboy boots. So, my question is other than sneakers what do you suggest?

Crocs? We love our crocs but are they good for all day trips at the parks? Last time my son wore his crocs but my other son has wider feet and I worry they will rub the wrong way.

Thanks again, you guys are so helpful and full of knowledge!!
If the kid refuses to wear anything but crocs or boots, I guess it doesn't matter much what anyone else thinks - he's wearing crocs or boots.

Or has he decided that it is only sneakers that he won't wear?

I agree with the PP. Bring whatever you think he might like and put it in a locker. Then he'll be both happy and blister-free.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Happy Mom2
DIS Veteran

I have worn crocs for years. I go through several pair a year I wear them so much. BUT the first day I wore them in Disney I had horrible blisters. Not sure why. Maybe it was because I was walking so much more than normal, but they killed my feet. Rest of the time I wore tennis shoes with two socks on each foot to prevent rubbing.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
DReynolds86
Best in the World

When I was at Disneyland California, I wore New Balance sneakers and when my feet started to hurt, we went to the car and I switched to Chuck Taylors. Chucks have little or no cushioning but somehow they felt better. Maybe the placebo effect.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
chelebele
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyStory Fan View Post
3) if your crocs are worn down - they get VERY VERY slippery on any slightly wet surface, even concrete.
I know this from experience. I wore my trusty croc flip flops to Six Flags last summer. The bottoms were very worn. They have an awning type thing that covers the hills and shades you a little as you go down them. (paved). They also had misters in them. I would literally ski from one support pole to the other terrified the whole time that I was going to bite the dust. The kids would all run off and leave me every time they saw we were getting to one. It was awful. If I wasn't such a germaphobe I would have taken them off.
chelebele is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: