Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #16
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

I contracted CA MRSA a year ago. I went to the doctor rather quickly and got a diagnosis within 2 days of it appearing.

I was scared and kept myself away from everyone. I cleaned every cleanable surface in my home and in my office (don't forget the phone!). But, actually, it ended up being no big deal. I responded well to treatment and it was gone within 2 weeks.

No one else ever got sick. When they say that you will always have MRSA, I believe that it more means that it can lie in your bloodstream, harmless, unless possibly something happens to your immune system. MRSA is everywhere - some are just more sensitive than others.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
Granfan
DIS Veteran

On my second day at WDW 2009 I found a small pimple on my thigh. I cleaned it with an alcohol pad, put antibiotic ointment on it and a bandaid. It got steadily worse over the next two days. I went to the first aid clinic in Epcot and told the nurse. She didn't want to look at it,
just gave me a bandaid and a tiny packet of ointment. I had never heard of MRSA so I kept trying to finish my trip but by the end if that day I felt sick, leg was swollen and sore and red around the spot. Anyway we drove 10 hours to ER. It was lanced cultured took Levaquin 10 days and Avelox an additional 7 or maybe 10 days. Doctor told me to bathe with antibacterial soap at least 3 times a week and leave the lather on a few minutes. I showered every single day for almost a year I was so paranoid about it coming back but it hasnt so far. The dr also said that most people have it in their systems and it never bothers them. I don't know if that's what happened or if I picked it up on the trip. But I had used Dove Soap for years which is not antibacterial. Now I alternate. Sorry. This was so long but I wish I had been made aware of it sooner.
Granfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
BBG-BLT
Bunch of Booth-Genthe's

Chances are it won't come back out of the blue. Usually something gets it going (an insect bite etc). MSRA and VRA are anti-biotic resistant strains of bacterial. They are dangerous because you don't know it's one of these strains until it's gotten pretty bad.

And at this time most major pharma companies aren't working on any other medications for these infections. The drugs are too expensive to develop, the Regulatory hurdles too high and the chance of being sued too great.

I'm happy for you it didn't spread more - glad it's gone - and glad you got it diagnosed in time.

I need some Magic
BLT Owner since 2009
BBG-BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
disfreak2
Earning My Ears

My 11 year-old son has been dealing with severe eczema since age 2 weeks. My biggest concern has always been him acquiring an infection because his skin is constantly broken open from scratching. I expressed this concern to our wonderful pediatrician (who is hilarious by the way) and he said "i touch kids with MRSA all day long" and he proceeded to wipe his hands all over my sons bare arms. I was horrified initially and he then said "my point is that MRSA is not as contagious as everyone fears". It sure made me feel better. If someone whose skin is so unhealthy has managed to avoid it for 11 years I think you don't have to worry about your other children. Just be sure and wash your hands when helping him with wound care or dressing changes. Hope this helps.
disfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
disfreak2
Earning My Ears

By the way we all have MRSA on our skin.
disfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: