Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
janeybabydee
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to read more
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
frzndaqiri
Mouseketeer

Tuesday - 1/11/11 Epcot!

The green shrubberies are the holiday decoration leftovers. Luckily (because we really wanted Disney in it's usual state) most of the Christmas type stuff was gone. Just a few things here and there - and throughout the trip it was interesting to see even that just "disappear", as it were, overnight.

Things like the green "Cousin Itt" (c'mon, you totally see that too, right?) trees in the right side of the picture - made you go "what's different" the next time you showed up and they weren't there.

It was nice to see little pops of color still too - having left nothing but snow and tree bark back in Michigan - like these pretty purple posies. (I think... botanist I am not.)

Our first ride - Soarin! This wasn't even built last time we were here, and I'd heard it's on many must-do lists. The queue was great for photos:

It was a BLAST! I just loved the ride. I had a sweet guy next to me who made little comments on each section - where places were, what forest etc - he was quiet about it but I could hear and I liked knowing someone was that either well traveled or well versed in the film. We also scored a top row - which I hear really adds to the experience if you've never ridden before. My stomach did a little drop at one point - so they do an excellent job of making it seem real.

Since we were right there, we hopped on Living with the Land next. Far too dark and fast moving to bother with any of the first part, but I did get some shots of the greenhouse.

I do love lemon - and dang what a batch of lemonade this would make!

The criss-cross pattern on this shot was a cool accident.

"Close your mouth, please, Michael. We are not a codfish."

Then we meandered over to the World Showcase. We had reservations at Chefs de France that originally were for 2:00 pm. Well. After the reality smacking after effects of our introduction to the Dining Plan of doom - we knew that the more time between meals the better and were able to bump up to their opening slot at noon.

Required shot of the up fountain:

Pretty flowers near Le Cellier:

Morning EMH and standard low crowds for January meant lovely shots of empty (or nearly) streets like these:

I have to thank chunkymonkey for her Sept TR - which twisted my arm into making sure I had a super wide angle lens. I definitely got lots of use out of it!

My dad being a goof as Chris figures out my camera:

Me in my lovely birthday present - a cute purple/pink and black plaid jockey cap from the UK.

Stopping for a paw print from Marie:

Main fountain in France:

Here's something you don't see anymore - framing the shot with your hands. Now everyone has a point and shoot camera with a live view. No elaborate methods to make sure what you see ends up on film....

Ahh, to live the life of an arteest!

NEXT: Chefs de France!

Camera: Canon 7D | Photos: See my TR!
Previous trips: 2011 WDW CSR | 1999 WDW - Offsite | 1991 Disney's Village Resort
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I love your pictures. Isn't is nice being there with so few people? I've never seen Marie but I'll be on the lookout for her next trip.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #19
frzndaqiri
Mouseketeer

Chefs de France

After checking in and being seated in the "conservatory" section looking out on the street, we look over the menu and try to decide on a dish. Neither of us are big breakfast food people - so this will be the first food of the day and that makes it harder to choose from strange fare.

Ultimately we start with an easy choice for Chris - French onion soup. One of his favorites, I've even made it at home before as a treat. For me, not to be outdone by him the night before, I get escargot.

Admittedly, a completely different recipe and distinctly different cuisines, but this just did not stand up to Yachtsman. Presentation was quite lacking too. You'll see splashes of soup all over Chris's plate, and mine was a less than pleasing well worn simple crock with green circles of swamp water (by all visual cues).

We both agreed that if this was our first taste of escargot, we wouldn't have tried a second time. The onion soup was very different - it had some kind of herb taste overall where most places have a beef broth flavor as the base.

Well - that would just not do and we demanded to see the head chef! (tongue in cheek here)

Armand came out to see what we needed - and upon seeing my fancy camera immediately struck a pose: "A photo? Of moi? But of course!"

After some embarrassing explanation that we were hoping for photos of Remy - he dramatically introduced the culinary genius in person... er rat.

All in all the interaction was adorable and fantastic - and if Remy is still in charge when you're there it is worth seeing him. I won't give away the cute jokes and entendres here, but it was very sweet.

Main course! Crepe Basquaise (I guess... but the online description does not match what I got. Mine was chicken, cheese, spinach and mushrooms. No side salad...) for me and Filet de saumon, ratatouille sauce Choron for Chris.

Back to the "food should be appetizing to the eyes" problem...

This time at least I found it very tasty. I was almost able to finish it, but had to stop for safety, lol. Chris found his rather bland. The potato and spinach were just blanched (not even salted) and the sauce was barely there. The salmon was just ok. Really, we couldn't believe that there weren't more classic "think of home" french dishes. Coq au vin maybe?

On to dessert:

Chris had the cake - I had the cinnamon apple crepe. Mine was AWFUL. I took a bite and forced myself to keep it down. It was tough, and manufactured tasting. I've had crepes at the mall food court better than this.... I fought with Chris for his chocolate cake (though not too hard, we were quite stuffed.)

Mom's report will probably be better on this - but our waiter Charlie was GREAT. He was a riot. My dad loves to rib people and will have a smart@$$ remark for everything - our waiter knew just how to deal with him... and when my dad called him "Harley" (pronouncing it wrong on purpose) all gloves were off! After taking our dessert order and my mom's, he walked away leaving my dad with no dessert (he got about 10 paces and came back grinning).

So again, Chefs de France was ok - but mostly disappointing in food. Stay away between 12pm-3pm if they put you in the back corner with the windows. The sun peaks and you BAKE the entire meal! We were switching seats and holding out napkins and doing everything we could to keep from burning up. Very uncomfortable. We did mention they should have sun shades on that end at one point, and Charlie agreed.

Back to touring the world! How many countries will my unprepared feet let me see?

Previous trips: 2011 WDW CSR | 1999 WDW - Offsite | 1991 Disney's Village Resort
Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #20
frzndaqiri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I love your pictures. Isn't is nice being there with so few people? I've never seen Marie but I'll be on the lookout for her next trip.
For a photo junkie - it's the only way to see Disney
She was adorable - and PURRED at me!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
DisneyDreamerMN
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Great trip report so far. Love all the photos!

No one needs to know we are going to Disney again...right? May/June 2011 TR

HS choir trip March 1999 off site , POR April 2009, POR Nov.2009, POR Oct. 2010, WL May 2011, POP Nov. 2011
POP May 2012, WL Dec 2012, POP Oct 2013, DCL Dream Feb 2014

Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
frzndaqiri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeybabydee View Post
Can't wait to read more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMN View Post
Joining in! Great trip report so far. Love all the photos!
Thanks guys! I'll be posting some bonus content soon too. Crafts and tips that don't fit in to the flow of the report itself.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
frzndaqiri
Mouseketeer

BONUS CONTENT

So you might be wondering - even with extensive photos - just how I remembered all my thoughts on every meal with such clarity. Well, I went prepared, that's how!

Before leaving - I typed up an extensive restaurant review booklet.

The front cover of course had the best gastronomic expert Disney has - Anton Ego. Each inside page had the name of the eatery (if it was scheduled) or an open title line if it was going to be decided while there. Then there were lines for writing down what we had, and our thoughts on it (one book per couple) and little mickey heads to color in for our "5 star" rating. Where possible I tried to add a cute image to coordinate with the location. Lastly as a quick glance help item - I put the type of meal as a letter designation. B for breakfast, etc.

The mickey heads were colored in either full or half (or left empty) depending on the review:

I didn't want the booklet getting too ragged and dragged around, so I pretty much filled it in each night after getting back to the room.

Lucky for me - hubby works at a print shop and we got them all printed and bound (it was set up as an 8.5 x 11 folded in half - and stapled) for a good price. Two weeks of meals means a 30 some page booklet! I also plan on cutting it apart though and scrapbooking some of the better reviews since it's already journaled.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #24
LisaKeys
Mouseketeer

Isn't she wonderful? She made one for David and I, also!

Someone please stop the Mango, Garlic and DxDP!!! Jan 10-23, 2011

July 1973 - MK one day/off site; November 1991 - WDW Villa's; February 1993 WDW off site; November 1999 - WDW offsite; December 2001 - WDW BWLBV-DTD; Jan 10-23, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort and Best Western DTD
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
frzndaqiri
Mouseketeer

WDW Day 2 - Morocco & Japan

Toured Morocco - the first time we were here (in 99) we didn't know there were shops and things in the back to go through... so we kind of just walked past everything going "Why is this interesting?" I didn't quite have my shutterbug addiction yet either. So we definitely enjoyed the showcase much more this trip.

A not-so-hidden mickey:

Japan was next. The taiko drums were going so I stopped for shots there.
The center drummer was really enthusiastic - his whole face and body was into the music and putting on a show.

Then into the Mitsukoshi Department Store to look around.

We went to the back and had some sake. Mine was a lighter mix of sake and lychee ramune (a carbonated sweet drink that I've had before). I am not a huge drinker though and this stuff (as sake tends to be) was strong.

Chris had Shirakawa Go - an unfiltered milky looking sake that can often have bits of rice in it. It is really STRONG stuff - but like any extremely fine alcohol he said it was incredibly smooth.

They have a special exhibit in the Bijutsu-kan Gallery that shows the connection between Japanese historical creatures, spirits and mythology and modern day characters in anime and manga.

We stopped to look at the koi - then moved on into Germany...

Next: Germany (kind of)...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: