Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!
 
Erin1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,850

I am getting frustrated with my child's teacher.

I know things have changed since I was in school, but some of this just isnt right.

Isnt a quiz supposed to test you on material before you take the test? Should it not be used to gage how well you know the material? Then I think if you are going to quiz the children, give it back BEFORE you give the test. Do not give it back with the test. Often there are mistakes made that children can easily learn from but they can not fix them and learn from them if they do not know they made the mistake in the first place!

And this teacher is famous for her half page tests and quizzes. So if you get 2 wrong you are already at an 80. I swear this lady never creates a test more than 14 questions long.

Last one, I promise...if you tell the kids they are having a test on Thursday, then give it to them on Thursday. Do not come in Tuesday morning and say it might snow so we are going to take the test now. That just isnt fair.

This is 4th grade. And I know my child isnt getting the test days mixed up, all the kids have it in their planner the same way. I did mention it once to the teacher and she said I should not worry that my child got an 88 on the test, she still has a 95 average. Maybe not so bad for her, but her friend did very poorly and her average dropped into the 70's. And in my DD's case who is to say she wouldnt bomb the next time the teacher changes the date of a test.
So I know I can not go to her and complain about all of these things, so I vented here. Hope you dont mind!
Erin1700 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???
 
golfgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 33,062

Ok, as far as grades go, not everyone gets an A and 4th grade is when you usually see a curve of grades showing up. As far as quizzes go, no a lot of teachers will give a quiz to see where students are before they start a subject or early into a subject. It helps them plan lessons or see what areas they need to focus on. Yes, getting a quiz back before a test is nice but it doesn't always happen, especially if you have weather issues, etc. Also, just because it isn't in their planner doesn't mean that they didn't discuss things in class about changes, etc. 4th grade is a BIG year for listening to ORAL directions and paying attention in class. Teachers often only write down parts of assignments on PURPOSE so kids start learning to listen to directions. How often in your job does your boss come through and give you an oral list of things to do--frequently I am sure. It is a valuable educational lesson. Also, just asking your child, "did you know about this" isn't usually enough. You have to ask more probing questions like "did your teacher talk about the quiz in class" "What did she say" ,etc.
golfgal is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700 View Post
I know things have changed since I was in school, but some of this just isnt right.

Isnt a quiz supposed to test you on material before you take the test? Should it not be used to gage how well you know the material? Then I think if you are going to quiz the children, give it back BEFORE you give the test. Do not give it back with the test. Often there are mistakes made that children can easily learn from but they can not fix them and learn from them if they do not know they made the mistake in the first place!

And this teacher is famous for her half page tests and quizzes. So if you get 2 wrong you are already at an 80. I swear this lady never creates a test more than 14 questions long.

Last one, I promise...if you tell the kids they are having a test on Thursday, then give it to them on Thursday. Do not come in Tuesday morning and say it might snow so we are going to take the test now. That just isnt fair.

This is 4th grade. And I know my child isnt getting the test days mixed up, all the kids have it in their planner the same way. I did mention it once to the teacher and she said I should not worry that my child got an 88 on the test, she still has a 95 average. Maybe not so bad for her, but her friend did very poorly and her average dropped into the 70's. And in my DD's case who is to say she wouldnt bomb the next time the teacher changes the date of a test.
So I know I can not go to her and complain about all of these things, so I vented here. Hope you dont mind!
Well if you know the teacher sucks then you have to be proactive. As far as getting stuff back before big tests, may happen or may not. Know thy teacher is my motto.

I guess you can complain but things ARE nutty with the weather and I am telling my dd to be fully prepared for anything the teacher springs up on them due to the impending snowiceypocalypse.
The Mystery Machine is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
dawson5
DIS Veteran
 
dawson5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,917

Having the same problem with my son's 7th grade math teacher. We have not received one graded paper back this year (homework or tests)--we've asked, still haven't received. I've taken to asking the neighbor girl to go over stuff with him (my middle son is in the same math as her, has been since 6th grade but he refuses to learn from him--another story). I am in the process of finding him a tutor. There are only two teachers for math at this level (Honors Algebra) and the other is just as bad. I keep thinking if I can get him through this year, he'll be fine. The Geometry teacher next year is awesome--and he's the only one.

(Add to this matter, we think the teacher has either had a stroke or some kind of impairment. It seems like one side of her face is paralyzed. She does not speak clearly and is easily frustrated. The kids (all of them that I've spoken to) have a hard time understanding her, making note taking hard. Then they ask if they understood right and she flies off the handle. So grateful we are halfway through the school year.)

OP Good luck. I'm not much help but I can commiserate.
__________________
"That's some wrath right there. We own pitchforks, hot wax and feathers. And we're not afraid to use them."
--anonymous
dawson5 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???
 
golfgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 33,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson5 View Post
Having the same problem with my son's 7th grade math teacher. We have not received one graded paper back this year (homework or tests)--we've asked, still haven't received. I've taken to asking the neighbor girl to go over stuff with him (my middle son is in the same math as her, has been since 6th grade but he refuses to learn from him--another story). I am in the process of finding him a tutor. There are only two teachers for math at this level (Honors Algebra) and the other is just as bad. I keep thinking if I can get him through this year, he'll be fine. The Geometry teacher next year is awesome--and he's the only one.

(Add to this matter, we think the teacher has either had a stroke or some kind of impairment. It seems like one side of her face is paralyzed. She does not speak clearly and is easily frustrated. The kids (all of them that I've spoken to) have a hard time understanding her, making note taking hard. Then they ask if they understood right and she flies off the handle. So grateful we are halfway through the school year.)

OP Good luck. I'm not much help but I can commiserate.
Our kids RARELY get to keep homework/tests, actually they don't ever get to keep tests. These tests get around and kids use them to cheat. Teachers also keep them for future reference or if there is a dispute over a grade. They review the tests in class and turn them back in.
golfgal is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
jen0610
DIS Veteran
 
jen0610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ft Wayne IN
Posts: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700 View Post
And this teacher is famous for her half page tests and quizzes. So if you get 2 wrong you are already at an 80. I swear this lady never creates a test more than 14 questions long.
So I know I can not go to her and complain about all of these things, so I vented here. Hope you dont mind!
DS once had a teacher that regularly had tests that were 3 to 6 questions. On the 3 questions test, get one wrong - most were essay type questions - and you failed the test. And even with essay type questions, if she did not feel that you came enough examples, she would only give partial credit. The one that still stands out to me was when the question read - give a discripition of a biome. Because he only gave the discripition of one, she only gave him 1/6 credit. It did not ask for them to give a discripition of each of the 6 major biomes. And yea, we along with several other parents had a conversation with her and the principle on this.
jen0610 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,845

DD is in 7th and they take a couple of quizzes in each class each week. These are given back to them and become a part of their notes for the tests. The tests are graded and given back to become part of the notes for the 9 weeks test. Pretty much done that way in community college classes too (except its a final not a 9 weeks test).

The teachers don't worry about anyone trading the tests around because they don't go back to the students until everyone has taken it (or they give the absent students a different test). If someone has a dispute about a grade then the parent would bring the test back in anyway. It is suggested that we keep the test anyway for just that reason. After the end of the 9 weeks, I get rid of them.

I don't like small quizzes and test either, but you will always have at least one teacher that will do that.

I would be most upset about her changing a test from Thursday to today or whatever. If she needs to change it, it should come later not earlier. That is really not fair to the students as it doesn't give them a chance to study and any student with test anxiety would really get upset at a chance like that!
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
palavra
DIS Veteran
 
palavra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 40 miles from WDW
Posts: 1,764

I'm a teacher and think you have some legitimate complaints. When you say you mentioned it to her, was this in a formal conference setting? If it was not, you need to ask for a conference so that you can sit down and discuss the issues together. If the teacher is unwilling to discuss your concerns, follow the chain of command. Go to the director or assistant principal or whoever is next in line and ask for a conference with or without the teacher present.

It really is the teacher's discretion as to returning work and even the number of items on a test, but at my school, a teacher is not allowed to give a test before the announced date. Tests can be put off they need to, but not given ahead of time.
__________________
Which DISNEY character are you most like?
Bambi
palavra is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
SpecialK
DIS Veteran
 
SpecialK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, as far as grades go, not everyone gets an A and 4th grade is when you usually see a curve of grades showing up. As far as quizzes go, no a lot of teachers will give a quiz to see where students are before they start a subject or early into a subject. It helps them plan lessons or see what areas they need to focus on. Yes, getting a quiz back before a test is nice but it doesn't always happen, especially if you have weather issues, etc. Also, just because it isn't in their planner doesn't mean that they didn't discuss things in class about changes, etc. 4th grade is a BIG year for listening to ORAL directions and paying attention in class. Teachers often only write down parts of assignments on PURPOSE so kids start learning to listen to directions. How often in your job does your boss come through and give you an oral list of things to do--frequently I am sure. It is a valuable educational lesson. Also, just asking your child, "did you know about this" isn't usually enough. You have to ask more probing questions like "did your teacher talk about the quiz in class" "What did she say" ,etc.
I have to disagree with most of your post. If a teacher is trying to guage the current knowledge of a subject, a pre-test is given. It's different from a quiz because the grade is used solely as a diagnostic; it does not count toward a student's average.

I always returned quizzes before I gave tests and encouraged the students to use them as part of their study material. I have never known a teacher to leave out part of an assignment on purpose to reinforce listening skills. Those skills are taught, but not in that way.

Tests are returned to students here so that parents can see them and know where their children need help. Teachers are discouraged from using the same tests year after year. You really have to tailor the test to the group that you currently teach.

OP - you're right, but it sounds like you're just going to have to suck it up and get through the year.
SpecialK is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
jen0610
DIS Veteran
 
jen0610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ft Wayne IN
Posts: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our kids RARELY get to keep homework/tests, actually they don't ever get to keep tests. These tests get around and kids use them to cheat. Teachers also keep them for future reference or if there is a dispute over a grade. They review the tests in class and turn them back in.
We had several teachers in the Middle school, that did not send home any graded papers until the report card came home. When we looked at his grades, they were very low. We started to look at the papers and it only took us a very short time to find out that there was a MAJOR issue with most of the 6th grade teachers.

All 4 of his major study teachers - math, science, social studies, and English - had the students grading the papers. And they weren't always graded correctly. We went over every single paper we had gotten, corrected his grades, took them into the principle and showed him what happened. We also told him that our sons papers were no longer to be graded by a fellow student. We told a couple of his friends parents what happened, they checked theirs as well and found the same thing. All four teacher admited that it was not their policy to check over the graded papers to insure that there weren't grading mistakes being made. They took the word of the kids that they had done them correctly. Needless to say, that practice is no longer allowed.

Only because the graded papers came home, did we find out that the low grades were being caused by how the teachers were conducting their classes and not actually being caused by our son not adjusting well to the differences between grade school and middle school, as the teachers had all be claiming.
jen0610 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
dawson5
DIS Veteran
 
dawson5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
I have to disagree with most of your post. If a teacher is trying to guage the current knowledge of a subject, a pre-test is given. It's different from a quiz because the grade is used solely as a diagnostic; it does not count toward a student's average.

I always returned quizzes before I gave tests and encouraged the students to use them as part of their study material. I have never known a teacher to leave out part of an assignment on purpose to reinforce listening skills. Those skills are taught, but not in that way.

Tests are returned to students here so that parents can see them and know where their children need help. Teachers are discouraged from using the same tests year after year. You really have to tailor the test to the group that you currently teach.

OP - you're right, but it sounds like you're just going to have to suck it up and get through the year.
This is what I want. If she would return homework at the very least, I would at least know what he isn't getting. She does allow the kids to see the quizzes and tests, but she collects them back so they never come home. He has disputed some things marked wrong successfully. I can't help him if I don't know what is wrong, this bothers me.

I will say that when we've asked for some of his graded work to review and figure out how to help him, her reply was "let me see what I can find." My take is that she isn't keeping it, especially as we haven't received anything.
__________________
"That's some wrath right there. We own pitchforks, hot wax and feathers. And we're not afraid to use them."
--anonymous
dawson5 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,361

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson5 View Post
This is what I want. If she would return homework at the very least, I would at least know what he isn't getting. She does allow the kids to see the quizzes and tests, but she collects them back so they never come home. He has disputed some things marked wrong successfully. I can't help him if I don't know what is wrong, this bothers me.

I will say that when we've asked for some of his graded work to review and figure out how to help him, her reply was "let me see what I can find." My take is that she isn't keeping it, especially as we haven't received anything.
That is a skill he needs to hone. My dd's are masters at arguing their grades. Unfortunately that is reality.

Now I will say, having the test without allowing kids to study is crap and I would go to the principal with that one.
The Mystery Machine is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,262

Teachers that don't return tests and quizzes make my head spin around. I understand that there may be a delay if students need to make up the test or quiz but never returning them? Nope, that's not ok.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Teachers that don't return tests and quizzes make my head spin around. I understand that there may be a delay if students need to make up the test or quiz but never returning them? Nope, that's not ok.
My kids never get to keep their quizes or tests either. In Elementary they will bring them home over night but they have to go back or they are penalized.

In High school they never leave the room.

I think they should get to keep them but the teachers use the same tests, especially in high school. So since the teachers don't want to make new tests the kids get penalized and have nothing to review and learn from.
Hannathy is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
My kids never get to keep their quizes or tests either. In Elementary they will bring them home over night but they have to go back or they are penalized.

In High school they never leave the room.

I think they should get to keep them but the teachers use the same tests, especially in high school. So since the teachers don't want to make new tests the kids get penalized and have nothing to review and learn from.
It's ridiculous.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.