Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Tink2Day
DIS Veteran

Your daughter is adorable. How sweet, of course she cried not seeing Mickey, she was all dressed up as Minnie and looking cute as can be.

Great Food pictures!

I think DD has reason to be wary of the 'Steps', she makes a beautiful Cinderella!

Did she have a princess outfit for every day? How special for her.

Hmmm, I'm suddenly hungry! Wouldn't have anything to do with your food pictures
Tink2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great reviews so far. Can't believe the rubbish service at Coral Reef.

We enjoyed sci-fi last trip too.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Day 6 - Akershus for Breakfast, and Epcot Snacking for Lunch

We had an 8.10am ADR at Akershus. This was a repeat from our last trip. We actually did it twice last trip and was a must do for us again. We all really enjoyed it again and would still rate this meal a must do.

It is a great deal on DDP – photo package with Belle is included.

It was the same Belle and cm with her from our last trip. The cm remembered us and later came chatting to us and was really nice.
DD was wearing her belle dress and we got some great photos of her with Belle.

We all like the cold buffet. I have a bagel, cream cheese and smoked salmon and the fresh berries. DD also likes smoked salmon. DH likes the cubed cheese, not sure what type it is.
Then a platter is served family style with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and potato casserole . All tasty especially the casserole and we find it a lot easier than going up to a buffet like other character meals. If you want refills then happily bring them, think we just had one refill this time.

The princesses came around quickly but spent enough time in my opinion with DD. We saw Cinderella, Snow white, Aurora and Ariel. I believe this is the standard line up, we saw the exact same line up here in 2009.

This time there was a parade. Each princess carried a basket of flowers and the girls paraded behind her. They did this twice during the hour or so we were there.

Sorry no food pictures, we must have been hungry!

We then spent a leisurely day walking around world showcase. DD really enjoyed colouring at each kidcot stop and getting her passport stamped.

For lunch we shared a couple of CS meals and also used some snack credits for F & W offerings.

From Ireland I had the fish pie which was tasty and we all had a bite of the chocolate and baileys pudding. This was small but rich. DD didn’t like as it tasted of alcohol. No pics. We ate this sitting on a bench in the UK

We then shared a cs meal from the French bakery. Our first visit there and it won't be our last.
I got a ham and cheese tartine – basically a pizza , a napoleon and a large coke. DH and DD enjoyed the tartine as I'd just had the fish pie and we all had some napoleon. All very fresh and would eat here every trip.

We ate on a wall near chefs de France. I noticed after that there was seating inside the shop adjacent to the bakery.

I then had a lobster roll. Great use of a snack credit as it was $7.50. It was fine, slightly sweet tasting and I would have it again but it was very small for $7.50

We then got a lamington from Australia. As a child growing up in the 80’s I used to rush home from school to watch Neighbours on the tv. Mrs Mangel was always making lamingtons and I'd always wanted to try one. I ordered one and the cm said to me it’s got coconut on. I must have looked a bit blank (I was thinking yes of course it has!) and he repeated it and I said that was fine and I got my lamington. Well it was ok, we all had a bite each, just cake covered with chocolate and coconut.

DH got a sausage and a pretzel roll from the German F & W stand with another snack credit, no mustard as he doesn’t like it.

DH then got a beer flight from Germany and drank this in the little beer garden area set up. I got him the beef and sweet potato dish from south Africa F & W kiosk – he pronounced this ok.
It was hot today and we used another snack credit on a coke from china – only a medium not a large qualified for a snack credit here.

Finally we tried the 3 meat tacos , tortilla chips, large coke, 3 churros and caramel dip for 1 cs at cantina de san angel. DH loved the chipotle sauce you help yourself to. It was actually hot and spicy. We both enjoyed the food. I’ve seen some criticism of the portion but overall thought this was a lot of food for 1 cs credit.

20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Day 6 Continued - Le Cellier for Dinner

Dinner

We had an Adr at le cellier at 6.05pm. This was our longest wait past our adr time of the trip. We waited at least 30 mins. The cm’s were very friendly and did a quiz of Disney trivia to pass the time and gave stickers for correct answers. We were covered in stickers by the time we were seated!

Again a meal we enjoyed last trip and so we repeated it this trip.
We shared a bowl of cheese soup oop and DD had the soup for her appetiser as well. What can I say, we love it. It is really rich and creamy and goes so well with the bread provided.

I had a raspberry smoothie include on DDP and DH and DD had soda.

DD chose a hot dog and fries. The fries are what we’d call chips – thick cut.

I had the filet cooked medium with mushroom risotto. I really enjoyed this again. Portion is not large but with the soup and dessert I had more than enough food.

DH had the new York strip with fries instead of the gratin potatoes cooked medium. He enjoyed this but wished he could have had some vinegar for his ‘chips’ (he asked they didn’t have any)

Dessert.

DD had the make your own ice cream sundae. She likes assembling these, doesn’t actually eat much of them.

DH had a chocolate moose which he enjoyed.

I had the maple brulee and didn’t rate this. It was warm with a sloppy consistency. Wouldn’t order again. I had the smores last trip and didn’t enjoy them, they were hard. I think I'll go for the moose if we eat there again.

Cost 3 TS plus tip.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - Perkins Off Site for Breakfast, and Raglan Road for Dinner

We escaped and had our first meal of this trip offsite at Perkins at the crossroads. I’d signed up for the e club and had a BOGOF coupon. Breakfast including a generous tip for the 3 of us, was less than $25. DH commented that it was less than the le cellier tip the night before.

DD had the children’s rainbow pancakes and milk

DH and I had an omelette and coffee each.

Tasty and filled us, we certainly didn’t need lunch.

In the afternoon we went to MK and DD met tinkerbell and the fairies at pixie hollow. This is really well done and tinkerbell remembered my DD from last trip which was really sweet. DD wore her tinkerbell dress.

We watched the parade at 3pm and I used a snack credit for a large soda from a cart in liberty square.

DD changed into her jasmine outfit and we lined up to meet jasmine and aladdin in advertureland. It was super hot and afterwards we had 2 dole floats and 1 smoothie for 3 snack credits from sunshine tree terrace.

The dole float wasn’t THE dole whip float from the counter opposite swiss family robinson tree house (aloha isle?). It was pineapple juice but vanilla not pineapple ice cream. The smoothie was raspberry. All really hit the spot and a few people who saw us eating commented how good they looked!

Dinner at Raglan Rd was a repeat from last year. This was probably overall our favourite meal last year and this year for all of us.

We got the boat from Old Key West which was a nice relaxing start to the evening. We ate early, before the entertainment and raglan rd was quiet. Our adr was 6pm. The server was very sweet and attentive.

As DH and I ordered the same things each course she kept saying you are making this too easy for me. DH and I don’t usually do this but I had the steak last trip and I had given him bad advice (his words) on the mixed grill last time.

We like the soda bread and oil to start. The oil has a tasty Guinness reduction in it.

DH and I both had the sirloin cooked medium with chips (fries) and onion straws. DD had fish and chips. They had vinegar!

What I like for DD is that it is real food not the usual kids menu choices. A lot of the kids offerings on the menu are just a smaller version of an adult dish e.g. shepherd's pie or fish and chips. She enjoyed her food and ate lots although it is a large portion, easily sharable by two younger children.

We loved our steaks. They were cooked perfectly. Absolutely delicious was what I said to the server. Hint of marmalade came through from the whisky marmalade glaze. We both preferred the steak here to le cellier.

For dessert DH and I had the excellent Gers bread pudding. DD had a choc chip cookie. My best dessert of the trip.

We will be back, no hesitation.

Cost 3 TS plus tip.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Last edited by dixonsontour; 01-31-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #21
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2Day View Post
Your daughter is adorable. How sweet, of course she cried not seeing Mickey, she was all dressed up as Minnie and looking cute as can be.

Great Food pictures!

I think DD has reason to be wary of the 'Steps', she makes a beautiful Cinderella!

Did she have a princess outfit for every day? How special for her.

Hmmm, I'm suddenly hungry! Wouldn't have anything to do with your food pictures
Yes we took a suitcase full of princess dresses with us, DH took a picture of the closet after I unpacked - completely full of dresses.

I bought most off ebay but she did get a new tiana one this trip for BBB.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #22
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post these wonderful reviews

Your photos are excellent and DD looks adorable in her various dresses

Looking forward to reading more
Thanks for reading along I'm trying to do two reports a night.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Your daughter is SOOO adorable! You are such a good mommy to let have all those dress-up gowns for her. I would have done that, but... I had six PIRATES!

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #24
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great updates

I don't suppose you happen to remember if the soup at LC has bacon in it?

It looks like there is some on top but I wondered if there was any in the soup itself?

I sooooo want to try it but I don't eat meat (yeah I know but DH does and will love it there )

Your DD looks so cute in her various outfits. I love the Tinkerbell one
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #25
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great updates

I don't suppose you happen to remember if the soup at LC has bacon in it?

It looks like there is some on top but I wondered if there was any in the soup itself?

I sooooo want to try it but I don't eat meat (yeah I know but DH does and will love it there )

Your DD looks so cute in her various outfits. I love the Tinkerbell one
Yes bacon in it definitely and chicken stock aswell I think.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 02-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
CoachZ
Mouseketeer

Your daughter is adorable!!!! I too love the princess dresses!!! My neice will only be about 4 months old on our trip in June. We are anxiously awaiting her arrival!!!! I know my sister would dress her in princess dresses too.

I love the pictures of your daughter with the princesses in matching dresses. I'll have to suggest this to my sister for our family's little princess.

Great trip report!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #27
lilandvisma
DIS Veteran

Your little girl is just about the cutest little thing ever!! My 3 year old is totally envious of all her dress up stuff Enjoying your reviews !

Our March 2011 PTRMy March 2011 DxDP Review!
lilandvisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #28
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Great job with the reviews!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #29
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - WPE for Breakfast, and Yachtsman Steakhouse for Dinner

We started the day at Wolfgang puck express at DTD marketplace. Used 3 cs credits.

Great place for a cs breakfast but only really suitable for a non park day as it doesn’t open until 9am.

DD had choc chip waffles, with cream on the side, milk and juice.

I had spinach and mushroom omelette, breakfast potatoes, fruit and coffee.

DH had tomato and cheese omelette, fruit and coffee.

They were happy to switch a cup of fresh fruit for one of our drinks (you got 2 drinks with breakfast in 2010).

Food was good and I also bumped into another UK Diser in the line behind us.

Lunch was at typhoon lagoon, leaning palms. No photos sorry.

This was a lot of food. I think it was one of the only times we ordered 3 cs meals at lunch time.

I had a huge chicken wrap, fries and large coke. DH had burger fries and large coke and DD hot dog, fries and a drink served in a green pail like at restaurantosaurus. We all had cookies for dessert.

My wrap was nice enough and easily sharable between two. Dh’s burger was the standard cs burger. DD enjoyed her hot dog. DH and I didn’t eat the cookie think DD had hers.

A lot of wasted food, would share next time we ate here.

Dinner

Our first try with a signature restaurant , yachtsman steakhouse. This was for DH’s birthday celebration.

I made the adr for 5.40pm as we had DD aged 4 with us. DH wore a collared shirt and dress shorts. I had linen pants and a cotton top. DD had a cotton dressy sundress. We felt fine – not overdressed or undressed. A lot of children were in the restaurant and DD behaved beautifully. The server gave her a colouring sheet and crayons and spoke to DD making her feel really welcome.

DD had lobster bisque (which I ate), pasta with tomato sauce and chocolate puzzle dessert and a drink.

I had the new York strip cooked medium, with brandy sauce, dauphinoise potatoes and pistachio ice cream dessert. Coke to drink.

DH paid oop for a Samuels Adams beer flight. He then got the porterhouse and fries and a chocolate sampler dessert with a coke.

We all really enjoyed the meal. Service was attentive not stuffy and we didn’t feel out of place at all.

We all started with the excellent bread- warm and good especially the onion rolls. They were served with butter and roasted garlic.

My steak was very good but my favourite thing was the potatoes which were excellent. Out of the dessert sampler , I loved the ice cream. DH had a bite and agreed it was excellent.

He enjoyed his porterhouse – the filet part of this was melt in the mouth – I tried some. A lot better that the le cellier filet I'd had, different league. He enjoyed his chocolate dessert but it was too rich for me and I do like chocolate, I needed something lighter after a rich meal.

The children’s food was excellent. The soup was a decent portion and very tasty it had chunks of lobster and a bandy taste.

The pasta was a huge bowl, DD barely made a dent in it. Easily sharable by two younger children imo.

Her favourite part was the dessert. She assembled the white chocolate puzzle and then painted it. I don’t think she ate much of it but it kept her entertained a long while. She kept asking to go back for the puzzle dessert.

Used 6 TS credits plus tip and alcohol oop

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #30
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Day 9 - Flame Tree BBQ for Lunch, and Boma Buffet for Dinner

Breakfast in the room as usual.

For lunch at AK we tried Flame tree bbq for the first time.

I had chicken, coleslaw and key lime mousse with large coke. DH had pulled pork sandwich, key lime mousse and a large coke. I think DD had a hot dog and a cookie and a drink.

Used 3 cs credits.

I told DH and DD to sit by the water, best seating there according to what I have read on the DIS. I got the tray of food. The drinks have no lids on so it was difficult to carry and heavy. I start looking for DH and realise I have no idea where he is! After wandering around I find him sat by the water as I'd told him to.

He said the sandwich was only ok, a bit dry. My chicken was very black and dry looking and was only ok – ate 2 pots of coleslaw with it – DH doesn’t do coleslaw.

The dessert was a lot better than it looked very nice tasting. One of the best cs desserts.

Our snack was a jalapeño cheese pretzel from a stand somewhere near a bugs life. Used 1 snack credit. Good use of a credit as it cost over $4. It was excellent – I could eat one now. We both agreed next time we will get one each for lunch.

Later we had 2 frozen drinks, one coke and one lemonade from drink wallah – used 2 snack credits. Really good and ideal on a hot day.

Boma dinner

This was a re do from last trip but not a must do. We talked a lot about whether we should give it another try. Last trip we did it on our last night and were tired. The server and our table position were not good. We decided to give it another try as whilst we were not blown away by the food we both loved the chicken curry coconut soup and I make this at home at least once a month now.

Well we were still very underwhelmed by the food. I think the problem is it’s sweet rather than spicy. We eat a lot of spicy food, if we eat out at home it is usually Indian food. Nothing was spicy or really exotic to us just sweet. We also have good friends from South Africa and love eating at their house – maybe we are spoiled?

They had the seafood coconut curry soup on the menu. I loved this and will make this at home. DH dislikes seafood so was disappointed he couldn’t have the soup.

I ate some hummus but it just tasted to me like the stuff I get week in week out from the supermarket at home. I often have the 3 mini pots – red pepper, lemon and coriander and regular for lunch at work.

I had a little salmon which was dry. The beef was bloody rare which neither DH or I eat.

DD was fine – she stuck to pasta, fries and chicken nuggets.

The desserts are nice. I like the mango one. The zebra domes, I had one again are ok not rave about.

Both times this has been the busiest buffet with the longest lines. I understand it is supposed to be pods but they are so close together it forms one line and to try and jump ahead to another pod feels like you are cutting in line.

Used 3 TS.

So we’ve tried it twice and it’s not a must do for us.

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: