Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
ReneeQ
DIS Veteran

Does deodorant really expire?

I am cleaning out and organizing my stockpile of toiletries. I just noticed an expiration date on some deodorants, but not all. Makes sense that the "active ingredients" would expire, I guess. But does it REALLY expire? I have about 6 that expire in the next few months, and I won't use them all that fast. And my ultra-cheap self can't throw them out!

I know the easiest thing would be to use them after they expire and see if I get stinky . Just wondering others thoughts on if they REALLY expire.

Mom to one spoiled furbaby and Aunt to two spoiled nephews
ReneeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
bicker
DIS Veteran

What you'd be worried most about with regard to expired deoderant is evaporation of volatile active ingredients, rendering the deoderant useless.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Maddle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
... rendering the deoderant useless.
But you would know soon enough!
Maddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
sookie
DIS Veteran

i say donate it to a shelter or another agency that deals with people who are up on hard times.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I don't know about deoderant but I unknowingly used expired sunscreen once and it really stung/burned when we put it on. I would throw it out.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

This is why I do not "stockpile" are you really saving money if you have to throw things out because they are not longer any good?
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeQ View Post
I am cleaning out and organizing my stockpile of toiletries. I just noticed an expiration date on some deodorants, but not all. Makes sense that the "active ingredients" would expire, I guess. But does it REALLY expire? I have about 6 that expire in the next few months, and I won't use them all that fast. And my ultra-cheap self can't throw them out!

I know the easiest thing would be to use them after they expire and see if I get stinky . Just wondering others thoughts on if they REALLY expire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
i say donate it to a shelter or another agency that deals with people who are up on hard times.
I agree with sookie. If you can't use it up then donate it to some group that can. And then make a plan on how to maintain a stockpile without going overboard. It's such a waste of money and the time it took to collect it to have things expire like that.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
fakereadhed
The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

The problem with expired deodorant is that it dries out and may have an off smell and gets crumbly. If it looks and smells ok, it probably hasn't deteriorated or dried out and is probably still effective.

fakereadhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
bicker
DIS Veteran

The fact that the stick has not dried out is not necessarily a reliable indicator. Often, the active ingredients are contained within solutions that are hydrophobic or hydrophillic. In one of those cases (I forget which one; perhaps both; really stretching my memory here...), the solution will evaporate before the water, and so the stick won't dry out. It just would be like spreading useless goo on yourself.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
lynette j in la
Mouseketeer

Back when I did CVS...

I had gotten a lot of deodorant for free,and in about a year or so later they turned rancid smelling, Totally nasty!

The J. family: Danish Dh , ½ Danish DD (13) and one American Mom
My Disney Trips
Walt Disney World, Magic Kingdom-Christmas 1976 and 1979, Disneyland-Christmas 1980, Walt Disney World-Magic Kingdom/Epcot -Thanksgiving 1984, Disney Cruise on Premiere Cruise's Big Red Boat "The Atlantic"- Thanksgiving 1992, WDW's Pop Century July 4th week 2008, Saratoga Springs Resort, Memorial Day Week, Mom and Daughter Surprise trip to DISNEY and UNIVERSAL, off site, Thanksgiving Week 2009].
lynette j in la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
sherry7
DIS Veteran

A couple of years ago, I was able to get 60 antiperspirants for free, by using double coupons. We're still using up the stockpile, and it works just fine even though it's expired.

Like someone else said though, maybe you can donate it to a shelter before it expires.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
bicker
DIS Veteran

Anti-perspirant works differently from deodorant. Rather than relying on chemical reactions, like deoderants do, anti-perspirants rely mostly on a mechanical reaction, and therefore don't necessarily suffer the same degradation of effectiveness due to evaporation over time.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Bearadise
My DW is a Bear-a-holic...

I would have to say yes...One could still use them, but it would seem that the active ingredients would be less effective.

In any case, while in the Florida heat, I'd want a fresh deodorant myself.
Rich(Me) [DisDad #731] Cathy(DW) Samantha(DD) Matthew(DGS#1) Jackson(DGS#2) Brady(DGS#3) Chad(DS) Amber(DDIL) Zack(DGS#4) Zoey(DGD#1)
Disneyland: Multiple day-tripper 1979-1982 || WDW: Off-Property 1990 || WDW: Dixie Landings 1993 || All-Star Movies 2008, 2010 || Pop Century 2013 || Caribbean Beach-Jamaica 2013 ||
Art of Animation 2014.
Are you on Facebook? 'The Wheeler Clan at WDW' is! Please come visit our page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheele...33913320005732

Bearadise is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: