Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
cinderellamom123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
Before you (or anyone) buys a timeshare, I suggest doing a lot of research over at http://www.tug2.net/ and at http://www.tugbbs.com/

Based on my family's usage, I've found that renting timeshares is cheaper than owning them -- even when you can buy one for $1. Remember, as an owner you are committing to a lifetime of maintenance and other fees.
I agree, we have done the math several times on the time share costs and renting is still cheaper for us -- and with no obligation
cinderellamom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarager View Post
I called Wyndham today to book our December vacation at Bonnet Creek and I was told you can use your points at Bonnet Creek to buy Disney tickets, 38000 points for a one day/one park adult pass.
That would be about $200 for a one day ticket.

suemom2kay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofkfg View Post
Ok, I'm new to this timeshare business. I just purchased a timeshare and I saw where you posted you bought yours for $1. I bought retail and I'm going to try and recind after reading this. How do you buy points on eBay?
Go to the links I quoted from littlestar. Others can answer better than me on how to rescind. There are points for sale at Wyndham Owners and Tug. How you purchase on ebay is search for wyndham timeshare or wyndham points, etc. Then, bid. The broker (usually a broker) will contact you after you win the auction and tell you what to do.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Ok, I'm new to this timeshare business. I just purchased a timeshare and I saw where you posted you bought yours for $1. I bought retail and I'm going to try and recind after reading this. How do you buy points on eBay?
The recission period varies from state to state, so you will have to check the law wherever you purchased to see what the timeframes are.

In Florida, you have 10 days from signing the purchase agreement to rescind with no penalty. Any deposit you made will be promptly refunded.

You should have received recission instructions in the packet of information you got when you bought. Follow those instructions to the letter and you should not have any problems.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Momofkfg
Earning My Ears

How do resale points work?
Momofkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
How do resale points work?
The same a retail points.

The only difference between buying your points resale vs. retail (besides the obvious MAJOR cost advantage) is that your points won't count towards VIP status.

And VIP status is not nearly worth the cost difference for the perks you get, and which are subject to change at any time [and have been reduced in the past]
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

How do you rent Wyndham points?
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
laceyinwonderland
Mouseketeer

Id love to see someone on this thread share some info on renting wyndham points! Im been wondering this myself!
Dec 2011 POP
Nov 2013 AOA/POP

June 2014 offsite/AKV Happy Bday to ME!
Sept 2014 POFQ
laceyinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceyinwonderland
Id love to see someone on this thread share some info on renting wyndham points! Im been wondering this myself!
There's rental information on the We Looooooove Wyndham Bonnet Creek thread.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #25
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceyinwonderland View Post
With Wyndham you don't rent points, you rent reservations. Lots of them are available on ebay and redweek.com.

Renting points is a DVC thing that does not translate to Wyndham.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
littlestar
DIS Veteran

I think the link for the Wyndham owners site has changed, so I'll post it again:

http://www.wyndhamowners.org/Forums.aspx

The bulk of our Wyndham points are deeded at Wyndham Smoky Mts in Gatlinburg (low fees) and I picked up a new contract off Ebay that I'm waiting to close on that's a Club Access contract (club points with no deed). It's a good system. The only drawback is the pushy sales people. Once you get past them, it's a terrific system with lots of internal locations (especially along the east coast and Hawaii).
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
laceyinwonderland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
With Wyndham you don't rent points, you rent reservations. Lots of them are available on ebay and redweek.com.

Renting points is a DVC thing that does not translate to Wyndham.
Shows how much I know!? Thanks for the info! cant wait to check out the thread and websites!
Dec 2011 POP
Nov 2013 AOA/POP

June 2014 offsite/AKV Happy Bday to ME!
Sept 2014 POFQ
laceyinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestar View Post
The bulk of our Wyndham points are deeded at Wyndham Smoky Mts in Gatlinburg (low fees) and I picked up a new contract off Ebay that I'm waiting to close on that's a Club Access contract (club points with no deed). It's a good system. The only drawback is the pushy sales people. Once you get past them, it's a terrific system with lots of internal locations (especially along the east coast and Hawaii).
To amplify on my neighbor's (at Great Smoky Mountains) comments, the value of any timeshare system is primarily within its own internal system. Some timeshares are individual resorts alone, and everything else is done through exchange companies (RCI, II, etc). However, there are several larger systems which have multiple resorts (Hilton, Wyndham, Starwood, Sheraton, Marriott, Disney, et al).

With those internal systems, you are going to get comparable quality accommodations and value anywhere you go in the system, and reservations are usually much easier to make than trying to do an exchange.

Wyndham is one of the larger systems, with a total of about 90 Wyndham timeshare resorts (not counting associates and affiliates) in their system. For further info on their resorts, go to www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com and click on Explore Our Resorts. (as others have said, Wyndham's sales force is as bad as the resorts are good -- stay away from them)

Disney Vacation Club is probably the smallest major system with 11 resorts, seven of which are at WDW. When the new Grand Floridian DVC opens, they will have 12, with 8 at WDW.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity524 View Post
Thank you so much for your concern! I actually bought off ebay for $1 with closing costs ($550)! 259000 points, 120 a month maintenance fees. I truly appreciate the concern as I know it's crazy out there!

wait.
you pay 120 a MONTH?? every month???
how is that a good deal?
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer

$120/month = $1440 per year
$1440 for 259k points = $5.55 per 1,000 points

1 week at Bonnet Creek in a 2BR during value season = 112k points =$89 per night

And the PP's maintenance fees aren't even especially low. Mine are $4.50 per thousand points, so I get the same week for $72/night.

How is that NOT a good deal?
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote