Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #31
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Jill View Post
What an awesome trip report, I LOVE the pictures!! Glad your dd's illness was very short lived and the CMs were incredible! That is what makes Disney so magical. We love EE at night too (or any time, really but at night is really cool).
I think you should definitely continue your trip report with your time at Universal.
Thank you very much! The Poly spoiled us for sure, what great CM's all the way around!

Well, I think I will continue on with the Universal pics, as I am really enjoying writting my first TR.

Thanks again!

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR

Last edited by heidijanesmith; 01-30-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

On to Universal Studios

1/20/10
We left the Poly and rented a car at the Car Care Center. National has a great agency here. I had rented a car online, called them the day before we needed it and they sent a shuttle to the Poly to pick me up. I was only gone for about 10min.

We packed up our room and hopped into our rental car, got directions and were off to Universal Studios. We had no plans this day for parks, just planning to hang out at the pool and relax at the hotel.

We chose Portofino Bay Hotel at US, for the lovely rooms and pool. I don't know why I have no pics of this day, must have been just too tired and sad to leave WDW!

1/21/10: Plan is to tour Islands of Adventure, using the early entry into WWoHP. WWoHP opens at 8:00 AM this morning, so we use the rickshaw service as the boats are not running yet at 7:30. We are the 1st family to arrive at IoA

The lines started behind us and we were let into IoA around 7:50. Here is a couple pics of us headed toward WWoHP:

We lead the pack into WWoHP:

Were one of the first on FP ride. This ride was AWESOME and hard to describe. A motion simulator, but you are moving too. The que line is inside the castle. The good thing about being 1st- no line! The bad thing, hard to take pics. You are moving thu the castle so quickly to get on the ride, it's hard to stop and take your time to get more pics. I hear that they have a line now, that is just thru the castle. I will have to do this next time.

More que castle pics:

May 2005 AKL Pool view

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #33
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

More FP que pics

Here are some pics of the que line in Hogwarts Castle:

We rode the ride x2 and decided to get some Butterbeer! Yummy, love the frozen kind. WWoHP area is still not crowded, so we get to do some more exploring:

Up next:
Dueling Dragons or now called Dragon Challenge

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by housetomouse View Post
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing it!
Thank you! I am glad you like it so far

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #36
TXdisney
Mouseketeer

Your TR is really great! I'm really enjoying it!

CR-2010, CR/POLY-2011, CR-2013
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #37
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXdisney View Post
Your TR is really great! I'm really enjoying it!

Thank you very much! I appreciate your input

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #38
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Dragon Challenge!

After riding FJ x2, we decided to ride the Fire and Ice versions of the Dragon Roller Coaster. DC coaster is a very smooth ride, where you sit below the track, feet dangling. There are parts of the ride where it feels like you are going to either hit the other track or drag your feet on the ground. We love roller coasters and loved this one. It reminds me of the Batman coaster at 6Flags. Here are some pics of the que and the coater:

We loved the Ice/Blue side better:

Coming up: more pics of Hogsmeede WWoHP

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #39
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

WWoHP

Here is a pic of The Three Broomsticks, we could not get inside yet, as they were only allowing people with packages that had breakfast included.

We decided to go shopping at Honeydukes. This is a very small candy shop, that was very crowded. All kinds of sweets in here, but I only bought Berty Bots every flavored Jellybeans.

Even thought it was 98degrees, the fake snow was inviting and great detail on all the buildings!

Time for more Butterbeer. I really liked the frozen kind, its a kind of mix between cream soda and butterscotch.

The Hogwarts Express!

Lovely sign:

The store fronts had lovely displays. This sign really looked like the part of the movie with "puking pastilles"

The owlrey....too crowded for us to even get inside

Inside Hogs Head, many choices of beer. Great break for a very, very hot day

More beautiful store fronts: You can see Hermonie's dress that she wore to the ball for the Triwizard Tornament and Harry's Dress Robes

This is it for WWoHP this AM. The crowds were huge! 3hour wait for Olivanders, 2 hour wait for the Shop Dervish and Bangs...125 min wait for FJ

Next up: IoA pics

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #40
soarinup
I really am as mean as I look!

My fav

Everyone has their own little "quirks". My favorite photo was the shot of the entrance to POLY from the monorail,,,at night...just heavenly.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #41
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarinup View Post
Everyone has their own little "quirks". My favorite photo was the shot of the entrance to POLY from the monorail,,,at night...just heavenly.
We loved the Poly, especially at night. It was lovely to walk around and just enjoy the grounds, pools and GCH. I am glad you like the pic

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #42
Darkfirewolfe
Poly Fan and Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post

Here is why I LOVE Disney and the Poly staff. We went back to the room to check on Alex and found her not feeling well, but had stopped throwing up. Good sign! I went to Captian Cooks to see if they had anything she could eat, luckily enough they were serving chicken noodle soup. I wanted just the broth for her and asked the CM who was checking people out if I could just have a cup of broth and explained that my daughter was sick. She said to hang on a minute and she'd be right back. The CM came back with a cup of broth, saltine crackers, apple sauce, grapes and a refillable mug with Sprite in it. She gave all this to me at no charge! What a wonderful CM!!

Food in hand I came back to the room and the Mousekeeper was there. I explained to her that I have a sick child in the room, so could I just give her the dirty towels. She not only took the dirty towels, but made a towel animal, gave us new towels and toiltries and took out the garbage. She was wonderful!

Alex was very thankful for the broth and managed to keep some of it down, but knew that she would not be able to go to the parks today. She was so disappointed to not be able to ride her favorites, Space and Splash mountain. As we were not staying Club level there was not a DVD player in the room, nor does Disney have pay per view movies. I took a chance and went to the GCH and asked the concierge desk if they had a DVD player we could use or rent, explaining that my daughter was not able to leave the room today. The wonderful CM said not only could we use their DVD player, but he gave me a gold key with access to the Hawaii Club building to have full access to all of their movies. He called the Hawaii building to let them know i was coming. He also upgraded our park tickets to park-hopper so Alex could go back to the MK when she felt better. At this point I am about in tears, I am so greatful for this wonderful CM.
I hightail it to the Hawaii building and the wondeful Club staff lets' us rent three movies to return at our lesure and a 6 pack of Sprite for her. As I am leaving the building, so thankful and greateful to the wonderful staff at the Poly...i lose it a little and cry in happiness.
Alex is thrilled with her movies, so happy that she can go to MK again and tries the Sprite.
I go back to the GCH, ask for the manager on duty to express my thanks for the wonderful staff at Captian cooks, our mousekeeper, the Club staff and the concierge staff.
:
I knew about the chicken soup - b/c on one of our trips a man next to us at the Kona cafe was taking some back to his room b/c he was sick. But it sounds like they really went above & beyond for you. That's so wonderful - lots of pixiedust for you !
Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #43
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfirewolfe View Post
:
I knew about the chicken soup - b/c on one of our trips a man next to us at the Kona cafe was taking some back to his room b/c he was sick. But it sounds like they really went above & beyond for you. That's so wonderful - lots of pixiedust for you !
Thanks for the pixiedust! The wonderful staff made her WDW stay even more magical, way above and beyond the call of duty

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #44
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

IoA

We decided to check out a couple more rides after leaving the WWoHP area.

On our way to the Hulk we walked by the Seuss area:

On to to the Hulk! Anthony's favorite rollercoater at Universal The best thing for our family was the use of Express pass. Staying on site at the Portofino Bay Hotel allowed us all to use the Express Pass as many times as we wanted to, at any time! This allowed us to just explore IoA at our leisure with no plan, no touring guide. Much different than WDW for us.

Here is a couple pics of the Hulk, which we all really liked!

The kids wanted to ride Doomsday Falls. Rod and I passed on this ride, I just wasn't feeling it.

A cute pic! Even though Rod's eyes are closed!

At this point, we were hot and tired and ready to head back to the hotel. We used the rickshaw's almost the entire trip as the boat's were always crowded and never seemed to be available when we needed it.

Up next: Portofino Bay pics

May 2005 AKL Pool view

Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #45
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Portofino Bay Hotel

Hello everyone, it's been a crazy couple of days here! We got 11 inches of snow and then 25-35 mph winds! This AM the temp was -8, windchill of -30..... I am really missing the Florida July weather!

Back to the TR:

We decided to take a break and go back to the PBH. We liked this hotel, but did not love it. The theme was beautiful, the rooms were well done and had a huge bathroom. We did not like our room location, the farthest from transportaion, the pool and the lobby.

Here are some pics of the hotel:

Cute scooters to sit on and pretend that you are in Italy:

The view from our side of the hotel:

Our building:

The entrance to our wing:

Our room- standard view, standard room.

Up next: City walk and Margaritaville!

May 2005 AKL Pool view