Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #31
charming23
DIS Veteran

I love our goodwill. It is around the corner from me and I go in about once a week. I do not always buy but I look. My favorite buy was a small bench (think doll sized) decorated with snowmen. It was $10 and looks so great in our family room around the holidays. My mom finds tons of clothing there. She has lost 110 pounds in the past few years and needed clothes to wear during that time. She recently went back in October and got a whole new winter wardrobe for less than $100.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
anewvance
Who needs a birthday for birthday cake?
I'm a nutter butter when it comes to bargains!
whew, now that that insane embarassing moment is over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
I am so jealous of you all! I don't have a great thrift store or Salvation Army around me. If anyone lives in the Orlando area and knows of a great thrift store, please let me know!! The rest of you, enjoy your bargain shopping!!
There is a huge Savers and a Goodwill with a Goodwill warehouse attatched both on Orange Blossom Trail, about a mile from the turnpike.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #33
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezyree View Post
If you are looking for the Thrift Store on Benning, it's located on Ingersoll about a block south of the Faith Middle school. They are open Tues, Weds, Thurs from 9 til about 2?? and until 6pm on Thurs and then the first Saturday of the month. Consignments are from 9 til noon.
Thanks! Are you a local here as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandel View Post
I have tons of relatives in the Columbus/Phenix City area (was born there) and my aunt used to (couple of years ago) manage the Goodwill store out on Victory Dr (like you're going to Fort Benning.). She loved her job and only left it cuz she got remarried and moved. I would somethimes visit her if I was in town and was always very impressed with how clean the place was.

If you go into the Salvation Army stores around here the nasty, musty, mildew smell will knock you out! They're grossly dirty and unorganized, not to mention whoever does the pricing thinks it's a retail store I can't stand to even go in there they stink so bad.

Around here it's better to sell your good stuff on eBay and your bigger or common items at one of the big flea markets.
There's a Goodwill on Victory Drive?? I haven't been to that one. Guess I will have to make a detour on the way to the Commissary tomorrow. The one up on Veteran's is decent but it is totally hit or miss.

The Salvation Army on Veteran's closed down or moved. I rode by there the other day and it was empty with For Lease signs on the building. No big loss there - the place was disgusting.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #34
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

i went to two Goodwills today as it's Half-Off weekend

i don't go as often as i did before i started working (no time ), but when my kids were younger i found lots of clothing and toys for them. a few years ago, when my oldest was in kindergarten (our first year paying tuition.. major financial shock even though we planned for it), i was able to buy my children many new or like new toys/books for xmas. and i still do!

my finds today... i wasn't in the mood to go thru the clothing...

Willow Tree metal stars for Nativity (retail $20, paid $3.49) - for my mom
Cake plate & stand (retail $20, paid $6) - for my SIL's wedding - bonus, it's the one that turns into a punch bowl!

Fisher Price purse w/ accessories like new for niece ($2)
3 books for me $2.50
2 boardbooks for niece .50
book for ds .25
Old Navy windpants for ds $1
Suit jacket for ds (for SIL's wedding) $2
bottle cooler $1
piggy bank for niece $2
labyrinth travel game for ds $2
game for dh $2
Night Sky kit w/ charts/constellations/books for ds, like new (retail $20, paid .25!) for his bday

i'm planning on hitting a kid's resale shop next week to look for some things for niece (bibs, burpcloths, baby spoons). i babysit her on my days off and now that's she's not a newborn anymore, i realized i have nothing for her to sit in or look at/play with as my "baby" is 8yrs old. hoping to find some things cheap -- it's tiring dragging a huge diaper bag from SIL's to my house and STILL going thru all the bibs and clothes she's packed for niece.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #35
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

wanted to add!
i also donate regularly to goodwill. my goal for the year is a box a week. we have WAY TOO MUCH stuff.

also a funny story:
today, of the hundreds of children's books on the shelves, my 8 year old immediately finds not one but TWO of HIS old books! "mom! why did you return these? i was reading them!"
(he was NOT reading them and we'd had them for over a year... from the goodwill)
i did not re-buy them!
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #36
gandycat
Mouseketeer

I can understand the stigma people feel about shopping at thrift stores. I can remember when I was a kid feeling very embarrassed when my mom brought home stuff from the Salvation Army. But, I've taught my kids the opposite. We talk about consumerism and not filling land fills with things we didn't need to buy in the first place. Buying something used is helping the earth and donating our stuff to freecycle or a thrift store helps to keep it out of a landfill. It also helps me to purge, I think of my local thrift store as a storage area for me, lol. Almost always I can find another one of what I donated if I need it.

My dd loves to shop at thrift stores. She can pick just about any dress off the rack and I can afford it My son saves his allowance to shop there too, I'm glad I'm making them both into responsible shoppers.

I never feel like I'm taking things from people who can't afford to buy things new. Every dollar I spend goes to help the agency who runs the shop and I donate a ton of stuff back to them. And the inventory is huge! My son grew 3 sizes when he was in 2nd grade (started in a 7, was in an 8 a month later and was in a 10 by Easter). Could I have afforded to buy him new clothes each time? Sure, but it was much smarter not to, lol.
1988~Can't remember the name of the hotel! With parents, brother, SIL and nephew; 1991~Hampton Inn with best friend; 1993~Best Western with future husband; 1994~CBR honeymoon; 2002~Rented house with mom and 2 year old; 2004~Embassy Suites, Lake Buena Vista with mom and 1.5 and 4.5 year old
2006~POFQ with dh and kids
2008~PORS with dh and kids
2010~January POLYwith dh and kids
2012~March-POFQ
gandycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #37
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewvance View Post
There is a huge Savers and a Goodwill with a Goodwill warehouse attatched both on Orange Blossom Trail, about a mile from the turnpike.
Ohh...I have never heard of Savers...I have been to the Goodwill store though..Some good finds can be found in there.

Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Like the Duggars say, "Buy used and save the difference!" LOL I can't bear to spend $$$ on clothes, when I can get three outfits for the price of one pair of jeans at a retail store. Ours have plenty of goodies for everyone, rich, poor, and middle-class, and I donate as much as I buy, so it evens out.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

We have a lovely "chain" of thrift stores in our area run by the United Way. There are 3 of them, one very large and 2 small. The two small ones really feel like shopping in a boutique! It's great! I've purchased a lot of my clothes there, many of DH's jeans and dress clothes there, and household goods, too. They don't sell big things like furniture, though. I always donate there. I haven't had much luck consigning items locally. I sometimes luck out in the discount section of the consignment store, though. I found some items that we can adjust to wear for an upcoming Renaissance wedding we're attending. I refuse to pay $150 for a Renaissance gown!

Growing up most of my clothes were secondhand-Goodwill, Salvation Army, yard and rummage sales. I had a foster brother when I was little and my mom bought his whole wardrobe at Salvation Army and the case worker was shocked that mom had barely put a dent in his clothing allowance since he came to us with nothing. He was the best dressed kid in school! The case worker was a bit concerned that perhaps mom would treat him differently than me (you know, buy my clothes retail and his secondhand), but since all my clothes came from SA, too, that idea was pretty much moot from the start!

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #40
kidshop
DIS Veteran

Poor people can't afford to shop in our local Goodwills.........I don't know who prices that stuff. Yesterday, I saw a pack of 6 Mighty Beans (salvage from Target) marked at 14.99! Kids shoes, no matter the condition are from 6.99 and up. VHS tapes are 4.99. I did buy 3 hard cover Magic Tree House books for 1.99 each. The deals are few are far between, I rarely find something worth paying what they are asking.

I don't donate to them, I prefer the local church thrift shops who sell all clothes for $1/piece. I also shop there!
kidshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #41
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran

I'm a very proud thrift store shopper!

I am a Thrift Store shopper!! And a very proud one, too!

In my area, I go to the Salvation Army, Goodwill and 2 church thrift stores. I usually go every week.

All 4 stores are extremely nice, clean and very organized. I need organized-it is much easier to look for things that way.

My entire wardrobe is from these stores! If you would look in my closet, you would think, "WOW! She really spends alot of money on clothes!!"
But no, I do not!

I have clothes from all high end stores & most of my stuff still has tags attached. My husband's clothes are all from the thrift stores as well. We only pay around $3.50 for items of clothing. Jeans are higher, usually around $5.00 ($5.00 is a great price for JCrew, Banana, GAP, and Michael Kors!)

I am happy to know that my purchases help others and I think of thrift store shopping as recycling! (and retail therapy)

I am very lucky as I get my housewares and seasonal items there as well. I NEVER shop at the mall and refuse to pay full prices. EVER!
My 2 best finds were recently.
1) Brand new, in the box KEURIG coffee maker. $30.00
2) Brand new, tags attached BURBERRY polo shirt for my husband! it was $3.50
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #42
dyna
DIS Veteran

I was raised on shopping goodwill an thrift stores. The economy has gotten many more ppl into the thrift stores the past couple of years that is for sure.

I agree the poor cannot afford to shop the goodwill an many of our so called thrift stores

I'd much rather spend the day going from thrift store to thrift store than in the mall always would have. When I need new clothing for something special coming up I always check out the thrift stores an goodwills before going to the mall or any store that just sells new stuff. Always on the llokout for jeans an every day clothing, housewares, books, etc
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #43
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Our Goodwill had another price increase and to be honest, its almost as cheap to shop the sales anymore than it is to shop at Goodwill. I still buy many of my DSs stuff there because he likes higher end things, but for my DD who likes mall clothes, I find things cheaper at American Eagle on sale than at Goodwill anymore.

I also like mall clothes rather than higher end clothes and I find CJ Banks is cheaper when they have things on sale than Goodwill is.

Its sad that they have gotten so much higher now.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #44
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
I agree the poor cannot afford to shop the goodwill an many of our so called thrift stores
See, this is what I was trying to get at in my first post. Thrift stores are just like any other business in that they will charge as much as they can get. When the demand in the thrift store rises, prices will rise as well. Where does that leave the poor? Where will they shop? I guess Wal*Mart will just continue to get bigger and bigger as the poor go there to shop!

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #45
jennyf2
DIS Veteran

I LOVE our local thrift store esp on Monday's--its 25% off day!!! I used to spend a fortune on my boys clothes...Both of my boys are VERY picky but since I found this store I refuse to spend $80 + on a pair of jeans for my 16 yr old. I will buy their jeans/shorts there & I usually find a few shirts for my youngest son (not so much for my older son). I buy the majority of my clothes there & LOVE it! They have AE, Hollister, etc jeans for $3.49 PLUS the 25% off!!!! I agree with PP's about the goodwill--I have one a few miles away & I think their prices are OUTRAGEOUS...............

Now living 10 minutes from DISNEY
jennyf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: