Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
I am so jealous of you all! I don't have a great thrift store or Salvation Army around me. If anyone lives in the Orlando area and knows of a great thrift store, please let me know!! The rest of you, enjoy your bargain shopping!!
There used to be 2 pretty good ones in Orlando - one on Orange Avenue and one up in the Edgewood area. They aren't Goodwills or Salvation Army so check in the yellow pages under Thrift and see if you can find them. The one in Edgewood was just called Edgewood Thrift. I don't remember what the one on Orange Ave was called. They may have moved locations - I haven't been by there in years.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan View Post
Another military family here - I love the thrift store on post and keep meaning to take things there for consignment but just never seem to get around to it. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get my butt in gear and take stuff in SOON!

I am so glad we live 35 minutes off post or I would be up at the post thrift every day it is open. We always find treasures there and DS3 loves the toy room. Lately ours has had new Disney books for $1 and he has been able to pick one out to buy if he behaves in the store.

We just got here and move again in 18 months.
You might want to check with them as most military thrifts do a PCS consignment. Instead of only taking 10 or so items a day, they let you bring 100 or a large amount. You usually need to make an appointment for that.

Then you can do it again when you prepare to move again!!!

Ours has several books too and I scarf them up for my almost 3 year old grandson!!! I will stick them in the back pocket of the front seat so we can read to him on the way to WDW in June!!

WDW-Apr 02-Camp Wilderness, Apr 08; Port Orleans, Aug 09-Saratoga Springs; Jun 11-Saratoga Springs; Dec 11-Saratoga Springs (Christmas); Mar 12-Saratoga Springs (DD and DSin-law honeymoon); Jun 12-Saratoga Springs; RECON mission to Aulani, Hawaii-Sep 12; Dec 12-Saratoga Springs (Christmas)
DLR-Aug 09-Paradise Pier; Mar 10-Park visit only; Oct 11-Downtown Disney visit only
DCL-Aug 03 (4 nite), Apr 08 (4 nite), Aug 09 (7 nite), Jan 10 (3 nite), Jun 12 (4 nite), ...2013 NINE NIGHT MEDITERRANEAN!!!
DVC members since Apr 08-SSR and AKKV
DH , Me , DD22 , DSin-law26 and DD15 : FIRST GRANDSON DAunt :
PROUD ARMY FAMILY OF THREE!!!
weezyree is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
I'm sure the thirft stores on base are different, but I would not feel right shopping at the Salavation Army or Goodwill. I know people get good deals there, and it is a growing trend (it was even covered on our local NEWS), but my opinion is that if I can afford to buy new stuff then I should and not take merchandise out of the hands of people who are not as fortunate and really need to buy used. This is just my opinion and is not meant to pass judgement on anyone.
As the other poster said, the Goodwill and Salvation Army use the monies collected from purchases to help their own goals. They help people find work, employ them to give them guidance on how to work and find a better job and do great things within the community.

I think it's great that you want to buy everything new and I agree with you to a certain point; however, if I can find children's clothing on the cheap then I will. Kids grow so fast it almost seems a waste to put any large amount of money into clothing. I draw the line at shoes since kids have different walk/wear patterns and shoes are just...well, shoes...stinky!!

I too have found ball gowns at the thrift store for myself for military balls. I have also sold them when I have only worn them once, they cost around $300 because I don't want to wear something someone else has on at the same ball and I can't wear it again (pictures, you know). I dry clean it and then sell it cheap. If anything, the lower enlisted can find great deals on these items....I use to be a lower enlisted and know the feeling of no money but wanting to enjoy those functions.

We make a great plenty of money, but I also am thrifty to save it too. I refuse to pay full price for a Disney Tshirt or any other number of expensive name brand clothing IF I can find it for cheaper. I do hit the sales racks at the stores at the end of the season for the following year, especially when my girls were smaller, but not now...they are growing too fast and teens.

No judgement taken, but I agree with other readers that the GW and SA are not for the poor but the public in general...even those with a good wod of dough to spend!!

Thanks for sharing!!

WDW-Apr 02-Camp Wilderness, Apr 08; Port Orleans, Aug 09-Saratoga Springs; Jun 11-Saratoga Springs; Dec 11-Saratoga Springs (Christmas); Mar 12-Saratoga Springs (DD and DSin-law honeymoon); Jun 12-Saratoga Springs; RECON mission to Aulani, Hawaii-Sep 12; Dec 12-Saratoga Springs (Christmas)
DLR-Aug 09-Paradise Pier; Mar 10-Park visit only; Oct 11-Downtown Disney visit only
DCL-Aug 03 (4 nite), Apr 08 (4 nite), Aug 09 (7 nite), Jan 10 (3 nite), Jun 12 (4 nite), ...2013 NINE NIGHT MEDITERRANEAN!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Thrift stores are for SMART shoppers, not the poor. I go to thrift shops and I'm an executive. I save money on clothing so we can put the money in places that it can grow. Buying new only benefits the retailer.

Clark Howard, the media financial guru and former co worker of mine, buys from Goodwill and he's a millionaire many times over. The availability of these items are not perishable and there is a HUGE amount of inventory, NEVER feel like it's coming out of someone's hands.
Well said, and very smart too I might add. I feel the same way. The overhead on the products in the retail stores is so high. My daughter works for a brand name clothing company very, very part time and I refuse to pay the prices for the jeans there. She gets a 40% discount and I don't feel so bad about that, but haven't bought yet.

The money saved can be put to good use in other areas....debt, savings, nest eggs, or as I intended for this posting...spent on a Disney vacation!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=weezyree;39712565]
I have used this thrift store to sell items on consignment and made over $300 in just three months. A dollar earned is a Disney dollar!!

If your looking to make a quick buck buy newer textbooks and older looking cameras at thrift stores then sell them on ebay. I bought a camera (1980's style) for 2.99 and sold it for 200!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #21
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
I have used this thrift store to sell items on consignment and made over $300 in just three months. A dollar earned is a Disney dollar!!

If your looking to make a quick buck buy newer textbooks and older looking cameras at thrift stores then sell them on ebay. I bought a camera (1980's style) for 2.99 and sold it for 200!
I do this every week! 99% of my eBay inventory comes from high end thrift shops.

One of the shops I frequent sells Chico clothing for 99cents to 2.99. They sell for $19.99 to $100.00 on eBay. I survived unemployment doing this!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
thebeesknees
DIS Veteran

Wow - I'm jealous of all your great finds! We have a couple of thrift stores here, but neither one ever has anything good, and I check frequently, hoping that they will change, but nope - just junk! I think the only time I bought something at the one was when I found a big bag of Duplos for $5, so I scooped it up, ran the blocks through the dishwasher to clean and sanitize them, and then took them to the church nursery.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Well, if the Salvation Army and Goodwill are loike the ones here in town, they are nothing but junk and garbage. I dont' even bother. My grandmother used to go when I was younger and would get relly good stuff, but they have gone down hill since then

Clarabelle, where is the thrift store on Post? I haven't seen it, maybe I just missed it. My mom used to stop by there when she worked on Post, but I don't remember where it was and that was a long time ago, everything has changed so much there in the last 5 years.

Suzanne
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezyree View Post
As the other poster said, the Goodwill and Salvation Army use the monies collected from purchases to help their own goals. They help people find work, employ them to give them guidance on how to work and find a better job and do great things within the community.

I think it's great that you want to buy everything new and I agree with you to a certain point; however, if I can find children's clothing on the cheap then I will. Kids grow so fast it almost seems a waste to put any large amount of money into clothing. I draw the line at shoes since kids have different walk/wear patterns and shoes are just...well, shoes...stinky!!

I too have found ball gowns at the thrift store for myself for military balls. I have also sold them when I have only worn them once, they cost around $300 because I don't want to wear something someone else has on at the same ball and I can't wear it again (pictures, you know). I dry clean it and then sell it cheap. If anything, the lower enlisted can find great deals on these items....I use to be a lower enlisted and know the feeling of no money but wanting to enjoy those functions.

We make a great plenty of money, but I also am thrifty to save it too. I refuse to pay full price for a Disney Tshirt or any other number of expensive name brand clothing IF I can find it for cheaper. I do hit the sales racks at the stores at the end of the season for the following year, especially when my girls were smaller, but not now...they are growing too fast and teens.

No judgement taken, but I agree with other readers that the GW and SA are not for the poor but the public in general...even those with a good wod of dough to spend!!

Thanks for sharing!!
ITA on kids clothes, I hadn't really thought about that since DD has so many cousins, she has been wearing hand-me-downs for years. I can also see your point about dresses, however guys cannot really relate to the "buy a gown and wear it once" mentality. Oh well, there's some differences between the sexes that will never change!

Maybe it is a regional thing, but growing up I came from a rather depressed area. Fortunately, my parents made a decent living, but many in the area did not. Anyway, the SA and GW stores back home were only frequented by the poorest of the poor (people that didn't even have running water). Maybe things have changed, and maybe in a more affluent area the stores may carry better stuff, but I simply cannot get past the conotation that the SA and GW stores had when I was growing up.

To other PPs, I am not saying to go out and pay retail, I refuse to do that! However, I buy most of my clothes on clearance, and mostly from Kohl's.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

I totally agree with poster #10 I love love love a good hunt in a thrift shop--whether it be a local church or a national chain. I've found literally everything from diamond vintage jewelry to the Animal Kingdom shirt with Day 1 opening graphics. My young-adult DS and DD are hooked too so I'm please to have another generation of smart shoppers in the family
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #26
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
Well, if the Salvation Army and Goodwill are loike the ones here in town, they are nothing but junk and garbage. I dont' even bother. My grandmother used to go when I was younger and would get relly good stuff, but they have gone down hill since then

Clarabelle, where is the thrift store on Post? I haven't seen it, maybe I just missed it. My mom used to stop by there when she worked on Post, but I don't remember where it was and that was a long time ago, everything has changed so much there in the last 5 years.

Suzanne
It's over near the Infantry School and the freestanding Java Cafe' - I couldn't tell you how to get there but I know how to drive from the PX to there. I always get lost on the way back though and end up going out the wrong gate. They have funky hours like most Post thrift shops - only open 1st Saturday of the month and only a couple of hours during the week.

There is always a line for people dropping off consignments so they must make some money.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
It's over near the Infantry School and the freestanding Java Cafe' - I couldn't tell you how to get there but I know how to drive from the PX to there. I always get lost on the way back though and end up going out the wrong gate. They have funky hours like most Post thrift shops - only open 1st Saturday of the month and only a couple of hours during the week.

There is always a line for people dropping off consignments so they must make some money.
Thanks, I can probably find it. The Infantry school and SoA aren't where they used to be, but I am sure Dh can find it, he knows where most everything is. It is pretty easy to get lost out there.

Suzanne
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #28
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:

If you are looking for the Thrift Store on Benning, it's located on Ingersoll about a block south of the Faith Middle school. They are open Tues, Weds, Thurs from 9 til about 2?? and until 6pm on Thurs and then the first Saturday of the month. Consignments are from 9 til noon.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #29
jandel
Mouseketeer

I have tons of relatives in the Columbus/Phenix City area (was born there) and my aunt used to (couple of years ago) manage the Goodwill store out on Victory Dr (like you're going to Fort Benning.). She loved her job and only left it cuz she got remarried and moved. I would somethimes visit her if I was in town and was always very impressed with how clean the place was.

If you go into the Salvation Army stores around here the nasty, musty, mildew smell will knock you out! They're grossly dirty and unorganized, not to mention whoever does the pricing thinks it's a retail store I can't stand to even go in there they stink so bad.

Around here it's better to sell your good stuff on eBay and your bigger or common items at one of the big flea markets.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #30
petlvr1064
Earning My Ears

I work at a good will as a "client"' and love it. If only poor people shopped in our stores we would have no mony to keep the mission going. I shop at the. Store on my days off and there is always a bargain to be found
petlvr1064 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: