Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #31
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker1bell View Post
After four miscarriages and having to spend Christmas Eve in the hospital, we just found out that Guenna is having a girl!!!!!
Vivian Olivia is her name!!!! Hal and I are over the moon.

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #32
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Good morning, DDA!

Be safe out there, everyone. What a nasty winter we have had already.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #33
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

They decided to put a trach in last night. Bob had insisted that I teach yesterday so I got to the hospital just as they were wheeling Bob into the OR. He came through it well, and the surgeon said he had experienced a number of firsts with Bob. He has never gone into ICU to discuss options with a patient and the family to find the patient on a ventilator, reading a book and writing notes in a steno pad. Bob actually signed his own consent form which was again a first for the surgeon!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #34
Tammi67
1st to out the Tag Fairy as the real celeb
I'd definitely choose the swirl

I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well, Elin.

Bernadette - Work sounds stressful for you now. That can't be fun. I hope it improves sooner rather than later.
Tammi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

I hope the trach works well for him. We want him to heal quickly. Will they move him to a rehab facility at some point?

Deb
my3princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #36
Disney Yooper
Formerly UP Disney

Location: Michigan's Beautiful Upper Peninsula (3 days a week), Lansing (4 days a week), and Saratoga Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
They decided to put a trach in last night. Bob had insisted that I teach yesterday so I got to the hospital just as they were wheeling Bob into the OR. He came through it well, and the surgeon said he had experienced a number of firsts with Bob. He has never gone into ICU to discuss options with a patient and the family to find the patient on a ventilator, reading a book and writing notes in a steno pad. Bob actually signed his own consent form which was again a first for the surgeon!
This is wonderful news that he set a first such as that. Sounds like he is doing well for the circumstances.

Disney Yooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #37
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3princes View Post
I hope the trach works well for him. We want him to heal quickly. Will they move him to a rehab facility at some point?
At this point, Deb (and everyone else), I have no idea where we go. He is still in ICU. They want him out of there for many reasons: He is mentally alert, he has been there far too long (longest of anyone in the unit) and they want him to be able to start some therapy, which cannot be done in ICU.

They put a PEG feeding tube into his stomach yesterday while I was teaching. Again, he came through the surgery just fine. His BP is elevated and that is one reason he is still in ICU. That has to be maintained at a much lower level and it is not happening without constant monitoring. If they can get that stabilized and if the first feeding today goes well, they would ship him out of ICU almost immediately.

Last night he "told" Kristin and me that he was going to come home on Tuesday. I asked him what army of nurses and support staff he thought was coming with him. I cannot take care of him as he is right now. And he has not yet learned how to take care of his own trach and PEG. So... it won't be Tuesday!

The speech therapist said it may be months before he can eat solid food. We have not broached that subject with him. His list of things he wants to eat and drink has gone onto the fourth legal pad page!

Off to teach a bit this morning and then Kristin and I will spend some time with him again today. He got tired quickly last night so she was only with him about an hour. It was good for both of them, but not enough!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #38
tinknme
I happened to be posting on the thread
I told dh it must have been something in the water over there

Quote:
At this point, Deb (and everyone else), I have no idea where we go. He is still in ICU. They want him out of there for many reasons: He is mentally alert, he has been there far too long (longest of anyone in the unit) and they want him to be able to start some therapy, which cannot be done in ICU.

They put a PEG feeding tube into his stomach yesterday while I was teaching. Again, he came through the surgery just fine. His BP is elevated and that is one reason he is still in ICU. That has to be maintained at a much lower level and it is not happening without constant monitoring. If they can get that stabilized and if the first feeding today goes well, they would ship him out of ICU almost immediately.

Last night he "told" Kristin and me that he was going to come home on Tuesday. I asked him what army of nurses and support staff he thought was coming with him. I cannot take care of him as he is right now. And he has not yet learned how to take care of his own trach and PEG. So... it won't be Tuesday!

The speech therapist said it may be months before he can eat solid food. We have not broached that subject with him. His list of things he wants to eat and drink has gone onto the fourth legal pad page!

Off to teach a bit this morning and then Kristin and I will spend some time with him again today. He got tired quickly last night so she was only with him about an hour. It was good for both of them, but not enough!
Sending good vibes that Bob can get out of ICU soon & start his therapy!

tinknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #39
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Elin-continued prayers for Bob's recovery. Sounds like he's ready to do what it takes to get home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammi67 View Post
Bernadette - Work sounds stressful for you now. That can't be fun. I hope it improves sooner rather than later.
I'm afraid it's just the beginning. They let 4 people go Wednesday. On a more positive note my boss came in to talk me yesterday morning and told me not to freak out about the email he "had" to send because his boss said something. It is still a bit worrisome that he felt the need to send it.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #40
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Quote:

So we will specifically pray that his blood pressure stabilizes quickly as that sounds like the most serious problem at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
Elin-continued prayers for Bob's recovery. Sounds like he's ready to do what it takes to get home!

I'm afraid it's just the beginning. They let 4 people go Wednesday. On a more positive note my boss came in to talk me yesterday morning and told me not to freak out about the email he "had" to send because his boss said something. It is still a bit worrisome that he felt the need to send it.
There is so many layoffs and repostioning of jobs going on. My mother has worked at her job for 46 years and she found out this week that they want to hire an outside catering service to take over the hot lunch program for her school district. It's still got to be evaluated by committee and go through whatever process school take. She has no idea when or if she will be out of her job. She was planning to retire in 3 years so this has totally thrown her for a loop. I cannot go into detail of the issues at my job, but emails would be a very minot problem Hopefully I can share soon and get it off my chest.

Deb
my3princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #41
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Bernadette and Deb - I am sorry to read of your continued turmoil at work. This country has got to get itself turned around and very quickly. It matters not to me who is in office but they have got to work together and get us back on track. I hope "they" are not so insulated and isolated from the rest of us real people that they can come to this realization on their own very soon. Our wonderful country is in big trouble.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #42
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Good morning, DDA!

A warning that I am posting an update in the next post here that you can skip if you want. But not all of you are on facebook so I know you won't know what is going on any other way.

I had a disheartening day yesterday and I know in my head that they will come again and again as we get through all this, but I just needed to write it all out. Where better than here with my friends?!?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #43
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

As long as you all want me to post the updates here, I will. I know not everyone is on facebook, so you wouldn't know what was going on any other way.

Bob is now the proud owner of a trach and a PEG feeding tube in the stomach. Although he approved both these surgeries, he was not particularly happy yesterday. He has entered the bored to tears portion of a prolonged hospital stay and his impatience and stubbornness are showing themselves. He is insistent that he can eat and drink and is furious when Kristin and I won't bring him what he wants. We did get permission from the ICU staff to bring him his cell phone so he could text rather than write and he asked to play a game of Yahtzee which they also permitted. But he quickly tired with that minimal activity. The man hasn't had a feeding in a tube since noon on Friday so I imagine he is famished! I hope today brings him some more progress and less disappointment. Meanwhile, Kristin and I are continuing to try to work and go to the hospital. It will be easier once they start some kind of therapy with him, as it will give him something else to do. For security reasons we can't leave his book reader or phone or iPod with him so he is reduced to hours of watching the History Channel and reading. I am hoping he can get out of ICU soon, but his BP has to be stabilized and his little bout of arrhythmia yesterday cannot return!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #44
tmfranlk
Love hanging at the World with my sweet girls.

Location: physically in St. Louis, mentally in WDW, but a Boston girl at heart...Go Sox!

Quote:
Good morning, DDA!

A warning that I am posting an update in the next post here that you can skip if you want. But not all of you are on facebook so I know you won't know what is going on any other way.

I had a disheartening day yesterday and I know in my head that they will come again and again as we get through all this, but I just needed to write it all out. Where better than here with my friends?!?
Exactly! That's what we're here for. Celebrate the good, comfort the bad and share it all. Post away, anytime, all the time. We're here to listen and send lots and lots of
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #45
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As long as you all want me to post the updates here, I will. I know not everyone is on facebook, so you wouldn't know what was going on any other way.

Bob is now the proud owner of a trach and a PEG feeding tube in the stomach. Although he approved both these surgeries, he was not particularly happy yesterday. He has entered the bored to tears portion of a prolonged hospital stay and his impatience and stubbornness are showing themselves. He is insistent that he can eat and drink and is furious when Kristin and I won't bring him what he wants. We did get permission from the ICU staff to bring him his cell phone so he could text rather than write and he asked to play a game of Yahtzee which they also permitted. But he quickly tired with that minimal activity. The man hasn't had a feeding in a tube since noon on Friday so I imagine he is famished! I hope today brings him some more progress and less disappointment. Meanwhile, Kristin and I are continuing to try to work and go to the hospital. It will be easier once they start some kind of therapy with him, as it will give him something else to do. For security reasons we can't leave his book reader or phone or iPod with him so he is reduced to hours of watching the History Channel and reading. I am hoping he can get out of ICU soon, but his BP has to be stabilized and his little bout of arrhythmia yesterday cannot return!
Hope today was better. I still think Bob's stubborness will soon serve him well. It is really a shame that you can't leave anything of value in his ICU room. Don't you need to be let into the ICU? Who could take something from an ICU patient? Thank you for updating here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3princes View Post
There is so many layoffs and repostioning of jobs going on. My mother has worked at her job for 46 years and she found out this week that they want to hire an outside catering service to take over the hot lunch program for her school district. It's still got to be evaluated by committee and go through whatever process school take. She has no idea when or if she will be out of her job. She was planning to retire in 3 years so this has totally thrown her for a loop. I cannot go into detail of the issues at my job, but emails would be a very minot problem Hopefully I can share soon and get it off my chest.
Good luck to your Mom. So sorry to hear things aren't going well for you.

Quote:
Bernadette and Deb - I am sorry to read of your continued turmoil at work. This country has got to get itself turned around and very quickly. It matters not to me who is in office but they have got to work together and get us back on track. I hope "they" are not so insulated and isolated from the rest of us real people that they can come to this realization on their own very soon. Our wonderful country is in big trouble.
What I find so distasteful about what is going on in my office is that things really are NOT that bad business wise for our company. They are trying to make changes "just in case" and frankly because in this economy they can get away with it. I have been there 19+ years and have always been proud to work somewhere where we literally save lives. Now I feel guilty for staying at a place that treats it employees poorly. I can't leave in this economy and after being there 19 years. I really don't understand where this new drive at the cost of the employees who have been so loyal is coming from. It is almost like one (or many) of the executives is going through a mid life crisis and they feel this need to leave a legacy of bringing the association to a new level. I just can't see how making the entire staff stressed and unhappy is really going to get them there. They have come up with the new "strategic plan" to increase revenues $20 million over the next three years. They say that we can't do it with the current work force and changes need to be made. I just don't see how they are going to get there by walking away from the staff that has gotten us to where we are now.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: