Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #106
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
But of course she should, after all most of the rooms have them, so DCL needs to hop to and change the lay out of that room just for her. Has it ever occurred to people here that the reservations agents don't know the ship inside and out? Perhaps with it being so new, they have not gotten anyone information than people who look on the web. Believe it or not, the DIS does NOT have all the answers and most of the reservation agents don't give a flying fig about what is written here either.
Honestly I'd prefer to pay for an inside room (and save money) rather than end up with an oceanview with no curtain divider and no split bath. The porthole is not that big of a draw for me, sorry. I prefer no split bath, I had one once, it was awful for me. Too closed in. Divider curtain, well that is an easy fix and perhaps when the Dream goes into dry dock, they will add them.

Actually, if I book a verandah cabin, I will be first concerned about the bed, the rest is just all extras. I should be able to go outside and sit in the ocean air and if someone else is sailing with me, they should be able to also. Yep, that;s it, a clean room, a bathroom and a place to sit I'm good.

Really, you know that how? I booked a 12 GTY last year because it was CHEAP. I got upgraded to a 9 and I HATED it. I would have taken the 12 because it is all the room I need. I have been in a cabin on another ship that was as wide as a bed is long. It had a double bed that the inside person had to climb into and a pull down berth. And a tiny bathroom. And 3 of us stayed in that room 4 nights with no whining. I suppose I am not the typical DCL cruiser in that I don't see the cabin as the be all to end all. I need a place to sleep, shower and well, you know.

THis is funny to you? Only on these boards have I seen so many people up in arms about the specific rooms, only in real life have I heard people complaining about things over which they have no control. Only here are so many people so upset about such a new ship, which so few have sailed on

If I had more than one kid and there was a rough sleeper, well, he might get the floor. Opposite sex teenagers, same thing. All of these objections can be gotten around. And what the pug does HUD and gov't apartments have to do with cruising? I don't see any cruise line consulting the US Government as to state room bed numbers whilst designing a ship.As to my low expectations, again, I expect that if I book a room that sleeps 4, I will get a room that sleeps 4. If for some reason I need 4 seperate beds, then I will ASK before I book if that is possible, if not I may look elsewhere. There are plenty of other cruise lines sailing the same itineraries as DCL. Maybe they don't have all the same things on board, maybe they don't go to Castaway Cay, but maybe, because I book with a TA that is a top seller of a different cruise line I will get a great upgrade or I will get to be on the bridge when the ship sails. I might get to go to an island that has sand as soft as talc. I might get to see Glacier Bay. I might get stuck on a sand bar and see just how a tiny tug boat can move a big passenger ship. I might get seasick and have to stay in my room for a day.

Yeah I have low expectations. Maybe that's why I have cruised this year already and will cruise 2 more times. I would prefer to think I have NO expectations, thus I am always pleasantly surprised.
No, they shouldn't change the room for someone specific, they should clearly state ahead of time that the rooms may not have split bath since SOME people book a higher category solely for that reason. Don't believe me- look thru this forum for the past few years.

No one cares what reservation agents think- but if you think DCL doesn't care what's written here... think again. Policies have been changed, refunds given for sudden extra charges, etc. all based on the outcries here.

If all you want is a clean room, any type of bathroom and any bed to lay in- that's wonderful. Book accordingly. But that doesn't mean that EVERYONE should only want that.

I know that by reading the gazillion posts here throughout the past few years that yes, people do book rooms according to the things they want in the room and are advertised as being in those rooms. No- people do not book higher categories just to take what they get... they book for what they are told is in that room and if those things are important enough to them to book a higher category and pay more for it. If it's not important to them, then they book the lowest category available.

I think many would agree that they book their rooms according to the size of their family and the amenities they want in the room- including sleeping arrangements and that most would not want to pay DCL prices for one of their children to sleep on the floor. At least I know I wouldn't. I might do that for a cheap one night stay in a hotel, but cheap and one night this is not.

(I only mentioned the hud/govt apts in case you replied that you see no problem with different gender teens sleeping together)

"Yeah I have low expectations. Maybe that's why I have cruised this year already and will cruise 2 more times. " -not sure what your point is about that. I can, and do, cruise with the expectations the rooms are as described and as paid for and I cruise often as well. Is that your point? You think that going in with low expectations means you cruise more often? I don't even understand that. I cruised twice last year with DCL (one cruise transatlantic 14nt) and we have 2 back to back DCL cruises booked this year and another back to back next year- and I still expect to get what I pay for. I do not pay DCL prices with "no expectations". Goody for that you do, but that doesn't mean that everyone should.
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #107
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

I will end this now, for my own sake. Obviously my cruise experiences over the last 20 plus years on different cruise lines and ships with in those lines is a lot different than those people who have only ever sailed DCL. I ask for a room to accomodate my party. If I want an ocean view, I ask for one, if I want a veranda, I ask for one. I have yet to not get what I asked for and several times have been upgraded and gotten better rooms on some ships and worse on another. SO far, my cruise, vacation and life have not been ruined by any of it.

But keep up the good work, all y'all DISers, keep complaining keep insisting DCL MUST do something for you because you are reserved on their ship. Maybe it will work, maybe not. But it makes for entertaining reading.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #108
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
THis is funny to you? Only on these boards have I seen so many people up in arms about the specific rooms, only in real life have I heard people complaining about things over which they have no control. Only here are so many people so upset about such a new ship, which so few have sailed on

I'm sorry that this is completely OT BUT...

I disagree with the statement above (which I assume is part of your post to answer BBB).
Some things we MV cruisers have issues with DCL HAS complete control.
Disney overall in an expert at crowd control, the fact that DCL group has not learnt their lessons from previous cruises or events did not absolve them from some foolishness that happened onboard.

Yes, I agree DCL cannot control the weather nor can they control human nature (greed, selfishness, etc.). However, they can control how merchandise are issued fairly, how to give away freebies fairly, etc.

Between the many many groups that exists in Disney company, they KNOW better. If they had learnt from the different groups they would have been able to handle the whole thing better.

Their excuse of "We did not expect this level of crowd." is complete and utter foolishness. And as much as I do love Disney, I expect... yes expect a lot better from them. That's why we pay the premium to sail with them.

For the sake of the next MV cruisers, I hope they do learn something and make the next MV better. We won't be there but we hope their experience would be worth the cost and then some...

Back to the original post.

Thanks for starting this thread, I am curious about the this as well since we're deciding which cat to book on our next sailing!
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #109
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo View Post
Policies have been changed, refunds given for sudden extra charges, etc. all based on the outcries here.
I honestly doubt this. I know Disney depends quite a bit on the review cards, letters and emails over time to decide on policy changes or amenities onboard. I'm sure it is a little bit of this and a little bit of that that Disney gleans from various sites, but I don't think any one board can take the credit for having DCL make major and numerous changes. JMO

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #110
Dahly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I will end this now, for my own sake. Obviously my cruise experiences over the last 20 plus years on different cruise lines and ships with in those lines is a lot different than those people who have only ever sailed DCL. I ask for a room to accomodate my party. If I want an ocean view, I ask for one, if I want a veranda, I ask for one. I have yet to not get what I asked for and several times have been upgraded and gotten better rooms on some ships and worse on another. SO far, my cruise, vacation and life have not been ruined by any of it.

But keep up the good work, all y'all DISers, keep complaining keep insisting DCL MUST do something for you because you are reserved on their ship. Maybe it will work, maybe not. But it makes for entertaining reading.
The bolding above is mine....You can't compare your 20 years of cruising experience with this situation if you have always gotten what you wanted. This particular issue is about NOT getting what was asked and PAID for, which in this case is a split bath. I think someone that booked an 8A room which ends up not having a split bath is due some consideration from DCL. I am very happy that you have been 100% statisfied with every room on every ship you have sailed, but I bet if you didn't get what you ASKED and PAID for, you wouldn't be very happy either.
Dahly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #111
mlipreston
Earning My Ears

Any new pictures of the 8A category? Specifically 6514. It would be great to see it from another angle than the picture we have already seen. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #112
FAUguy
Been to Disney World over 50 times!

Wow. The last two pages are getting heated, and there's not even any new info or pics!

Last week I sent DCL a message about room 6016 and got this response today. Unfortunately it doesn't say where the location of the TV is, or if there is more desk/drawer space.

-------------
In reviewing our reservation system, I see you will be sailing next year
on the Disney Fantasy. She is the sister ship of the Disney Dream and
she is in the process of being built.

Since she is a sister ship, her layout and staterooms will be the same
as the Disney Dream.

As you know, the stateroom you have chosen is a Category 8A Deluxe
Family Oceanview Stateroom. The square footage of the stateroom is 241.
Based on availability, this stateroom can accommodate up to 4 Guests.

The bedding in the stateroom is as follows:

*Queen-size bed (approx. 64" x72")
*Single convertible sofa (approx. 32" x72")

Staterooms sleeping 4 utilize a single ceiling pull-down upper berth
(approx. 32" x72").

This category (8A) has two large porthole windows with built-in seating.
The cushioned window seat is accented with teak wood and stainless steel
and are approximately 5 feet in diameter.

In addition, the stateroom has the following:

Split bath -
-One half with commode, vanity mirror, sink
-2nd half with vanity mirror, sink and round tub/shower.

The round tubs have a built-in seat, a rain shower head and a hand-held
shower.

Your stateroom will also have a privacy divider curtain.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.
FAUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #113
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

^^ print that and bring it with you, just in case
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I honestly doubt this. I know Disney depends quite a bit on the review cards, letters and emails over time to decide on policy changes or amenities onboard. I'm sure it is a little bit of this and a little bit of that that Disney gleans from various sites, but I don't think any one board can take the credit for having DCL make major and numerous changes. JMO
Choose what you want to believe.
I'm sure there were people on other boards where disney cruises are NOT the majority (I can name a few but they are not solely disney related and don't have near as many disney cruisers on their board) who talked to their TA's -as well as people here complaining. But it all STEMMED from here and trust me- they do read here. they may not read every thread, but when threads are brought to their attention... they take a looksy (someone does. I'm not saying the CEO reads disboards LOL)

No, letters and emails over "time" did not make the changes I'm referring to. They happened rather quickly actually. And you can choose to disbelieve me if you want- but I lived it. I was there.... I guess you weren't. shrugs.
(ps. I didn't say numerous changes. But there HAVE been times where there was a huge uproar about a new charge or something of that nature which they changed their mind about because of the uproar. Oh and it wasn't the "board" I was giving credit to. I was giving credit to those that post here... most of which would have never known to put themselves into the "uproar" had they not read about it here first. THAT was my point. Yes most of us went thru our TA's and I'm sure all the TA's calling effected the change- but it all started with a little Dis-posting, instead of a mouse. LOL)

WITH ALL THAT SAID- times may have changed. What I referred to was in the past... doesn't appear "uproars" of any sort are affecting any changes with DCL or persuading them to be fair in any way.... lately.
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #114
FAUguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
Wow. The last two pages are getting heated, and there's not even any new info or pics!

Last week I sent DCL a message about room 6016 and got this response today. Unfortunately it doesn't say where the location of the TV is, or if there is more desk/drawer space.

-------------
In reviewing our reservation system, I see you will be sailing next year
on the Disney Fantasy. She is the sister ship of the Disney Dream and
she is in the process of being built.

Since she is a sister ship, her layout and staterooms will be the same
as the Disney Dream.

As you know, the stateroom you have chosen is a Category 8A Deluxe
Family Oceanview Stateroom. The square footage of the stateroom is 241.
Based on availability, this stateroom can accommodate up to 4 Guests.

The bedding in the stateroom is as follows:

*Queen-size bed (approx. 64" x72")
*Single convertible sofa (approx. 32" x72")

Staterooms sleeping 4 utilize a single ceiling pull-down upper berth
(approx. 32" x72").

This category (8A) has two large porthole windows with built-in seating.
The cushioned window seat is accented with teak wood and stainless steel
and are approximately 5 feet in diameter.

In addition, the stateroom has the following:

Split bath -
-One half with commode, vanity mirror, sink
-2nd half with vanity mirror, sink and round tub/shower.

The round tubs have a built-in seat, a rain shower head and a hand-held
shower.

Your stateroom will also have a privacy divider curtain.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.
I asked a bit more info about the Cat 8A rooms on Deck 6 & 5, and got this response today. At least they 'seem' to be putting some effort in finding out the accurate info.

--------------
I would be happy to assist you.

In order to provide an accurate response to your email message regarding
the layouts of the staterooms referenced in your email, we need to
conduct additional research.

We appreciate your patience while we process your request and look
forward to contacting you shortly.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #115
FAUguy

Wow, still no new pictures?

I recieved a call from DCL and they left a message on my voice mail this weekend. They said that they are 'still investigating the layout of the Cat 8A rooms, and that sometimes during the build process that changes have to be made as things may come up.'
So I'm not sure exactly what that means, but he said he'd call me back this week when he gets more info.

I don't see why it's such a mystery.
All they need is someone that works for DCL to go in the rooms while they are unoccupied between cruises and take some pictures of the different 8A room layout.
Then show them and say "Rooms XXXX and XXXX look like this......and rooms XXXX look like this....Differences are....."
Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #116
FAUguy

Any updated pics yet of 8A on Deck 6?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #117
sws.london
Anglophile

I will be sailing in 5520 in June and love the room layout. A little bummed I will not have a split bathroom however. Torn as to what to do. I have been told the June 21 cruise is sold out anyone else know if June 21 double dip is full?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #118
KrisannB
DIS Veteran

We are sailing in 6510 and 6514 on Feb. 27 and I will take and upload pictures before we leave port canveral of the 2 rooms - most likely to my facebook but will come over here and give a link. That will help with those two rooms - if 2 weeks would just hurry up!

Krisann

1977 & 1987- WDW Magic Kingdom-daytrip * 2003-POR - Kids & DH's 1st trip to WDW * 2005-Beach Club -Grand Gathering * 2007- Pre-cruise at PoPCentury * May 2008 - AllStarMovies - 4 days pre-repo cruise Cruises: 2006 Western* 12/2007 Eastern May 2008 - WBPC Repo 10/2009 Western, 2010 EBTA, 2010 WBTA, Dream Double Dip - Feb/March 2011, 2011 EBTA & 2011 WBTA + 2 writing cruises! upcoming: 2014 EBTA and 2014 WBTA
KrisannB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #119
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisannB View Post
We are sailing in 6510 and 6514 on Feb. 27 and I will take and upload pictures before we leave port canveral of the 2 rooms - most likely to my facebook but will come over here and give a link. That will help with those two rooms - if 2 weeks would just hurry up!

Krisann
That would be brilliant thanks and have a great cruise

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #120
aeirvin3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisannB View Post

Krisann
I'd still LOVE to see 6016 if anyone is going to be in that room anytime soon!
aeirvin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: