Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

What does the stateroom host do?

Having never cruised before, what exactly does the stateroom host do? I assume general housekeeping duties - straighten up, empty trash, replace towels and toiletries (or is all the done by someone else?). I also hear that you can have your stateroom host bring you ice. Turndown service - does everyone get this or is it just certain categories (like in most hotels you only get turndown service if you are concierge), and what exactly is turndown service (can you tell how many times I've stayed concierge)? For example, we may use the provided travel crib for DS, if there is enough room to set it up, but I plan on putting it away during the day and only setting it up at night. Would the stateroom host do this? TIA!
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Your stateroom host will clean, make beds, bring ice, make towel animals, leave chocolates, set up the crib, empty the diaper genie, etc. Yes, all categories get turndown service. He'll do anything you need in the room, deliver your luggage, and serve as a link to any additional housekeeping or repair needs in your cabin.

In addition, he/she will leave you the next day's Navigator each night, deliver any "stuff" to your room (repeat cruiser gifts, DVC stuff, etc).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Your stateroom host will clean, make beds, bring ice, make towel animals, leave chocolates, set up the crib, empty the diaper genie, etc.
Oooo we can get a diaper genie? That would make 3 nights in a tiny room a little better!
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
marshmellow86
Mouseketeer

Your stateroom host will be one of the most amazing people on the ship. They take excellent care of you and the room. Yes, as they stated previously, they make the beds, bring fresh towels, clean the bathroom, vacuum, convert the bed into the sofa, bring ice, restock the shampoo, bring the navigators at night, fold down the beds at night. They will put away the portacrib. It is amazing! And you never seem to see them do any of it!

All staterooms receive this special treatment, unlike hotels.

Enjoy!!!
marshmellow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
ArmandXG
The Great Baldini: Master of Time, Space and the Infinite Universe

If you get the opportunity to actually meet your Host(ess), know their name, get to know them! They will be your best friend on the ship! And please remember to tip them well after the cruise, as they have worked very hard for you!!!

Oct. 1990 WDW honeymoon, off site; Oct. 2000 WDW 10th anniversary, P.O. FQ; Nov. 2002 WDW Nephew's B-day, Allstar Movies Dalmation; Dec. 2004 WDW 14th (and X-mas) P.O. Riverside; Oct. 2006 DCL Magic 16th Anniversary, 1st cruise; Dec. 2008 DCL Wonder pre-X-mas and Parent's 1st cruise; Dec. 2010 WDW Secret trip and 20th anniversary,CSR; Oct 2012 WDW 22nd Anniversary (and Halloween), CBR. Oct.2013DCL Fantasy, 23rd anniversary
ArmandXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
smb6
DIS Veteran

About what time do they come in every morning to convert the beds back into couch/ceiling? And about what time do they come at night to fold everything back into beds? TIA!
smb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
marshmellow86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandXG View Post
If you get the opportunity to actually meet your Host(ess), know their name, get to know them! They will be your best friend on the ship! And please remember to tip them well after the cruise, as they have worked very hard for you!!!
I totally agree!!! We often try to find our host or hostess and talk to them. They are wonderful people and work very hard. We typically tip them more than anyone else on the ship, because they really hard and have long days (servers work hard and have long days too. . . . .)
marshmellow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb6 View Post
About what time do they come in every morning to convert the beds back into couch/ceiling? And about what time do they come at night to fold everything back into beds? TIA!
They pay attention to when you leave your room in the morning--that's when they come in and clean up. In the evening, they come during your dinner time.

Mornings--put out the "do not disturb" sign the night before. In the am, either take it down or switch to the "stateroom service, please" side. It does help them to know whether you are in the room or not.

You can tell the host whether you want the crib down every morning and back up every night or whether you want it left up (so you have it ready for nap time). And if they don't bring a diaper genie, ask for one.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
TiszBear
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others, get to know you host/hostess. We loved ours on our last cruise. He was fantastic, helpful and just a great person to talk to. When friends of ours went on the smae cruise a month later, they were i2 doors down from the room we stayed in and they were talking to the host (who happened to be ours) and these friends of ours showed him a picture of us with him and he asked my friend if he knew Miss Jennifer (me) and Miss Linda (my mom). My friends were shocked that he rememberes us.

TiszBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: