Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

Estimate for Port Upgrade

We are currently booked with a category 11 inside stateroom on the Dream for a 4 night cruise...I was curious as to what the rough estimate would be if we were able to upgrade at the port.

At what price has anyone upgraded from an inside stateroom to either an oceanview or verandah room at port for a 4 night cruise?

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Presentation
DIS Veteran

copied from another post I made today.....

I have tried to get this answer by reading what people have paid then looked up what it would have cost.

We got a quote for just over $5,000 the day before our cruise, turned it down then paid $1,550 at the port, so the difference was discounted almost 70%.

I’ve read other port upgrade prices that would indicate a discount as small as 30% of the difference.

I know this is a big window, but my reply is a port upgrade, if available, will save you between 30% and 70% versus just booking the room to begin with.

Hope this helps you.
9 times on the Disney Magic 1999-2009
1 time on the Disney Wonder Jan 24 2010, take a tour of our room, the Roy O Disney suite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikICyvT5Ow
1 time on the Disney Dream March 27 2011
DHDWDD(15) DS(11) DD(7)
My 9 year old son's first youtube video about Lightning McQueen >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhWxstVKwg
If you have a youtube account could you please watch it or have one of your kids watch it and add a comment? Thank you.
Presentation is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

So are you able to look to see if you've gotten a complimentary upgrade before you try to purchase an upgrade? I've never cruised before and I keep hearing about people getting complimentary upgrades and they're pleasantly surprised when they check in. So at what point do you know if you've gotten a complimentary upgrade? I might be interested in paying for an upgrade at the port if we don't get a complimentary one (wouldn't that be nice to just get an upgrade without paying for it?)!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
ladyj0212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
So are you able to look to see if you've gotten a complimentary upgrade before you try to purchase an upgrade? I've never cruised before and I keep hearing about people getting complimentary upgrades and they're pleasantly surprised when they check in. So at what point do you know if you've gotten a complimentary upgrade? I might be interested in paying for an upgrade at the port if we don't get a complimentary one (wouldn't that be nice to just get an upgrade without paying for it?)!
You can check if you have received a complimentary upgrade either at the port, or you can log onto the Disney Cruise Line website before your cruise and look at the cabin number that they have assigned you. Just by looking at the cabin number you can tell if it an upgrade or not...last year I booked an inside stateroom on the Wonder, and close to sail date I recieved a complimentary upgrade to an Oceanview stateroom...at that time I didn't know about upgrading at the port, but it was a really nice freebie!

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
JulieL0616
Earning My Ears

I have a question that is similar. Do most concierge family staterooms book full usually? I know there is no way to know for sure, just wondering if anyone has any past experiences to share. We are going to be on our cruise for our 11th wedding anniversary and my husband really liked the concierge rooms but since we have 2 rooms, the difference is about $2k. I would love to see if we could upgrade at port for a discount. Whether the difference would be enough to actually do this will ,of course, be seen when we ask. On the other hand, if concierge is generally booked solid, it would seem silly to try to upgrade 2 rooms

JulieL0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

First, upgrades available to purchase at the port are not all that common, no matter what time you arrive. It is true that they were much more available in 2009 when DCL was having trouble filling some of the cruises.

To give you an idea, we paid a bit over $400 to go from an inside stateroom to a verandah in 2009 on a 4 night sailing. The following cruise (we did B2B), there were no upgrades available, and we were literally the first family at the terminal.

The price to go from an inside to a Cat 3 concierge stateroom was $2900 on a 7 night.

However, rule one is to always book a cabin where you will be happy. Many of the Dream sailing dates are filling quickly; some have been reported as sold out. Do not count on getting an upgrade on any ship at any time. The availability of paid upgrades had been decreasing as the economy has been improving and as more people want to sail on the new ship.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
JulieL0616
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
However, rule one is to always book a cabin where you will be happy. Many of the Dream sailing dates are filling quickly; some have been reported as sold out. Do not count on getting an upgrade on any ship at any time. The availability of paid upgrades had been decreasing as the economy has been improving and as more people want to sail on the new ship.
Thanks! We have 2 connecting veranda rooms booked now and are perfectly happy with them Heck, I was happy with the ocean view but DH wanted the balcony lol. Have a great day!

JulieL0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
disney 2010
DIS Veteran

In January 2010 we had a cat 10 booked for our 4 night cruise ( but it was a SPH) and were offered at cat 4 for $900 as we had ksf this was close to what we paid for the room...we passed on the upgrade
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
delo4
Mouseketeer
I am not a fancy food eater

In September, we were booked at a category 12 (now 11c) and we upgraded at the port to a category 9 (oceanview) on the Wonder 3 day for $60.00.
delo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
ladyj0212

Quote:
Originally Posted by delo4 View Post
In September, we were booked at a category 12 (now 11c) and we upgraded at the port to a category 9 (oceanview) on the Wonder 3 day for $60.00.
WOW!! If on a 4 day cruise the price not too much more than that, than I think that would be well worth it. You got an awesome deal! That makes me feel better about the possibility of a decent price to upgrade to even a verandah from an inside room(CAT 11A), as my family will be sailing in September as well. In the case I can't upgrade, I am happy that I have an inside room(I get to experience the virtual porthole), but if they have upgrades available, and they are anywhere near what you paid, then I would definitely consider doing it...would be nice to sail in the oceanview on the dream with the window seat in the porthole, and it would be even nicer to have a verandah

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
FrogLady23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyj0212 View Post
You can check if you have received a complimentary upgrade either at the port, or you can log onto the Disney Cruise Line website before your cruise and look at the cabin number that they have assigned you. Just by looking at the cabin number you can tell if it an upgrade or not...last year I booked an inside stateroom on the Wonder, and close to sail date I recieved a complimentary upgrade to an Oceanview stateroom...at that time I didn't know about upgrading at the port, but it was a really nice freebie!
I logged into my res on DCL website, but don't know where to look for my room number. Does anyone know?

FrogLady23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Tooth Fairy
DIS Veteran

11B to 5D

We were on MV and we upgraded from 11B to 5D for $460. 2 adults. They had a chart to go by when pricing. Great deal for us as I had priced online earlier in the month $1300!!!
Tooth Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
jmcdonnell04
"It's Time to Remember the Magic"

Dream 9A to 5A

We upgraded at the port on the Dream MV at 11:30 am (hundreds already there) for $ 200. Porthole window on Deck 9 for a Verandah on Deck 9

jmcdonnell04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
Fsued123
DVC Member

Has anyone who ever booked on DVC points received an upgrade. Also, if you booked on points, can you upgrade at the port too?

Fsued123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
disney 2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogLady23 View Post
I logged into my res on DCL website, but don't know where to look for my room number. Does anyone know?

Click on my reservation: It will look like this....or what ever your Cat and # are

Stateroom:
Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah Category 05C, #6616

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: