Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

I'm going to be the unpopular opinion here, but I think Frog-o-Spheres are cruel and disgusting. To thrive in captivity, African Dwarf Frogs need a heater, lighting, and plants to hide in, as well as at least 1 gallon of water per frog. Furthermore, the stores selling these "gifts" do not have the proper facilities or training to take care of live animals. In particular, Brookstone (which also carries the "tanks") came under fire a few years ago for the huge attrition rate on frogs before they ever left the store.

This is the same as the people who defend gold fish bowls by stating that their goldfish lived to be 2 years old, so it must be fine. That's the equivalent of stating that your human child lived to be 10, so she must have been healthy.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of animals in captivity either, unless they are kept as closely as possible to their natural habitat.

Not to mention, we are overrun with wild frogs at home already - why on earth would I want to pay money for more!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
I'm going to be the unpopular opinion here, but I think Frog-o-Spheres are cruel and disgusting. To thrive in captivity, African Dwarf Frogs need a heater, lighting, and plants to hide in, as well as at least 1 gallon of water per frog. Furthermore, the stores selling these "gifts" do not have the proper facilities or training to take care of live animals. In particular, Brookstone (which also carries the "tanks") came under fire a few years ago for the huge attrition rate on frogs before they ever left the store.

This is the same as the people who defend gold fish bowls by stating that their goldfish lived to be 2 years old, so it must be fine. That's the equivalent of stating that your human child lived to be 10, so she must have been healthy.
The reason I started this thread was so that I could find out what kind of frogs they are so that I could research what kind of environment they need.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post

Yep I agree with this.

and we have our own frog population here, the kids see the whole life cycle start every spring, they catch them in the yard all summer, and let them go of course, and they see them grow from tiny babies to large adults.
pretty cool when in nature.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

We had 2 frogs we got at the mall- they were sold in the small plastic box setup. DH, who keeps fish, bought a 5 gallon tank for them. He added gravel, filtration, tank lighting on a timer, and live plants. He cleaned the tank and did partial water changes weekly.

The frogs lived about 4 years- they died within a week of each other this month. We enjoyed them, but won't get them again. We will probably get a betta for the tank.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

After 18 months of protests, thousands of calls and e-mails, and appearances outside Brookstone stores by our giant "frog," Brookstone has finally decided to pull a cruel product called the "Frog-O-Sphere" from its shelves!

PETA started campaigning against the tiny plastic frog prisons after receiving complaints from Brookstone customers and after a whistleblower reported that frogs and snails housed in the tiny 4-inch-by-4-inch plastic boxes were neglected, deprived of veterinary care and adequate food, and kept in filthy water. The whistleblower told PETA that when frogs became obviously ill and "unsaleable," they were moved to the stores' storage rooms, where they often wasted away and died.

PETA's undercover investigation of Wild Creations—the company that came up with the idiotic idea of throwing two frogs and some gravel into a container smaller than a shoebox and leaving them there for their entire lives—revealed filthy conditions and deadly neglect. In some cases, frogs were so hungry that that they chewed each other's legs off.

Brookstone joins Magic Beans, Target, and other retailers that have stopped selling these cruel products, but Coach House Gifts is still selling frogs in "EcoAquariums" to make an easy buck. In one shipment to Coach House Gifts, 37 out of 40 frogs died after they were left in a container so long that they suffered from heat prostration. Please take a moment to urge the company to stop selling its deadly EcoAquariums.

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #22
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

wow, a little frog in a aquarium turns into a controversy

my mom was a card carrying member of peta way back in the 1970's, she protested against the slaughter of the baby seals, all her dogs were rescue dogs, she never wore any kind on fur, and I too follow her beliefs

however, hidden camera reports on frogs---I am sorry but that is bit over the top for me---might as well as not allow anyone to own any sort of pet---peta needs to spend their $$ on more pressing aninal cruelty issues
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #23
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
wow, a little frog in a aquarium turns into a controversy

my mom was a card carrying member of peta way back in the 1970's, she protested against the slaughter of the baby seals, all her dogs were rescue dogs, she never wore any kind on fur, and I too follow her beliefs

however, hidden camera reports on frogs---I am sorry but that is bit over the top for me---might as well as not allow anyone to own any sort of pet---peta needs to spend their $$ on more pressing aninal cruelty issues
Frogs are less worthy of humane treatment than other animals?

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #24
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

This thread caught my attention, the litte frogs look to be the "African Frogs" my son had in the mid-seventies, we bought ours from a pet store just like you did fish, kept them in in aquarium and fed them I believe tubiflex worms? Ours lived for quite a few years I want to say 5 or 6 years. I can not imagine keeping them in a little closed box forever, it seems cruel as they are quite lively and enjoy a larger space to live.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #25
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

We have some that came that way, but we transfered them to a bigger tank (castle, plants, fancy rocks, the whole works) - partly so the cat can't push it off the shelf, and partly to make the little critters happier. The cube just seemed small to me. You can also get more info by searching "African Dwarf Frogs".

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets

Last edited by PollyannaMom; 01-25-2011 at 05:50 PM.
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #26
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Wow, how odd … go to Hallmark; buy a card or two, a Yankee Candle and a FROG!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

I am going to ignore all the SILLY controversy and let you know OP we have 2 of these and love them! We even gave 2 to both my Grandmas for Mother's Day last year and they love theirs too. They have brought great joy to our grandmothers as they can put them on their kitchen table and watch them swim. Ours are going on 6 years old and seem to be doing great. We leave them with a friend when we go out of town and usually they end up getting their baby frogs own once we get home and take ours back. I believe they are Dwarf African Frogs - about 1" in length. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post
I am going to ignore all the SILLY controversy and let you know OP we have 2 of these and love them! We even gave 2 to both my Grandmas for Mother's Day last year and they love theirs too. They have brought great joy to our grandmothers as they can put them on their kitchen table and watch them swim. Ours are going on 6 years old and seem to be doing great. We leave them with a friend when we go out of town and usually they end up getting their baby frogs own once we get home and take ours back. I believe they are Dwarf African Frogs - about 1" in length. Good luck!
Why is stating a fact silly? And why the condescending attitude?

Last edited by disney_mommy; 01-25-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #29
cassiez76
DIS Veteran

i love those little frogs. i had a bunch of them. i got them in the aquarium at walmart and they were called african clawed frogs.

i had ferdinand and would buy him the little ghost shrimp as treats. i had one of those little tanks for him. he somehow got out. mom found him down the hall then he got out again, but i think this time sassypants (cat) found him. we never found him

so i got 2 (ferdi 2 and claude the clawed frog ) the next time, i really missed that little frog! i got a bigger tank and cleaned it all the time, i watched them constantly, they were a great source of entertainment. it was also peaceful watching them too after my dad died.

when hurricane katrina struck, i hurried to walmart and got one of those little ice tea jugs (with the spigot)...it was the only container i could find to take my babies in. i ended up buying a giant tank on our month and a half "vacation".

they lived for 4 years. and when i see my tank in the garage on the shelf, i think i should really go get another one.

you can feed them the pellets or the little ghost shrimp. they are teeny tiny, no longer than a small pinky toe. you have to becareful though because if they eat too many they could get sick. i've never seen the shrimp at petsmart, just at walmart and that was few and far between.

also they do get to grow bigger. i was told the bigger the tank you put them in, the bigger they will get.

for those of you who get the little frogs, enjoy them! they are wonderful little fellas!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
Why is stating a fact silly? And why the condescending attitude?
Well Andrea, against my better judgement ( and because the only thing on tv is the President) I am going to reply:

I stated SILLY because the OP had one question and made one statement - they questioned the type of frog and the plastic tank as it's environment as not being conducive. A simple question - not a fuel sparking debate about the unethical treatment of frogs. The OP just wanted to know what the frogs were that their DS wanted.

So no, I did not state a fact was silly and had no such suggested condescending attitude - just wanted to tell what kind of frogs they are.

The End

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: