Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

Kelly & Devin's 9/22/12 Disney Themed NY Wedding PJ

Wow, I'm a little overwhelmed by the whole wedding thing. It's been a few months now since I've been engaged and I am just now starting my journal. So, I guess the best place to start is at the beginning.

Breakdown of some topics:

Limousines(Sir Oliver's Limousines)
Horse and Carriage(Regal Carriages)
Photobooth(NY Digital Photobooth)
Dress(Maggie Sottero Carrie)
Veil(no idea)
Shoes (Jimmy Choo)
Invitations (Platinum Affairs)
DJ/Lighting (Dreamworks)
Florist/Flowers (Bayport Flower House)
Venue (Smithtown Landing Country Club)
Wedding Cake (Audrey's Bakery)
Favors (Lukemia & Lymphoma Society)
Photographer (Patken Photography)
Hair Stylist for me (Katherine Jon Salon)
Hair Stylist for the bridal party (Friend)
Make-up Artist (Rock The Face!!!)
Wedding Rings (Marken Jewelers)
Printed Napkins (online)
Ceremony Location (St. Ann's Church)
Trumpeters (Royal Brass)
Honeymoon Suite (Courtyard Marriott by JFK Airport)
Honeymoon (St. Lucia, Sandals Resort)
Ring Bearer Pillow (online)
Flower Girl Basket (online)
Guest Book & Pen (online)
Mickey Ears(top hat and veil hat)
Cake Topper (precious moments wedding mickey ears)
Flower Girl Dress (Alfred Angelo)
Card Holder(Platinum Affairs)
Seating Chart (Platinum Affairs)

Our Background:

I was in a dating frenzy. I was going on blind dates, set-up dates, and hanging out in bars. Nothing was working. Okay, so I needed to get a new look, desperation was not very attractive on me. I decided that it was okay to have a little "me" time and I was young. A 24 year old doesn't need to rush love. I paid off bills, since I wasn't going out as much, and I was going to the gym, A LOT! I was feeling great and my confidence was soaring.

It was seriously like magic. All of a sudden, the guys were into me. Was it the confidence, the more slender look, the lack of desperation? Whatever it was, it was working! I was dating a guy that I was really interested in. Things were going well. He was handsome, smart and had a business that was doing quite well. But, I didn't want to shut myself off to just one guy(I was never satisfied, was I?). I decided to go out with this guy who one of my co-workers knew. I was working at a restaurant on the side to make some extra money. Remember, I wasn't doing much of anything else, so why not make some extra money?

We were going to meet at a local bar that was down the street from the restaurant. I left the place to change and get ready but decided to stop back there instead of going straight to the bar. I met my co-workers and they were going to a house party. They invited me and I invited the guy I was supposed to meet.

There was an old friend that I hadn't seen in years show up at the restaurant who was also attending the party. He had brought a friend. He picked my interest right away. I didn't think too much more because I was meeting another guy. I couldn't get too gluttonous here! So, I went to the party and looked forward to meeting the guy whom I was actually supposed to. Upon getting there, I felt like a I was in college again. There was beer pong, music and a tent of smoking... stuff.

The guy I was "destined" to meet finally showed and his appearance didn't really impress me. Though, Belle wasn't that impressed with the beast on first meeting either. I figured to give him a chance. After a bit of awkward silence and mumbled small talk, I was again taken by the guy that my old friend, Keith, brought. He seemed to catch my eye a bunch and when the reigning champs(Keith and his friend) needed someone to play against, I jumped at the chance to do something other than what I was doing. My teammate was my co-worker and we were horrible! In the midst of us losing, I looked around to see that most people had excused themselves into the smoke tent, including my supposed date. So much for that. I didn't really care. I was having so much fun with Keith and his friend that I wasn't really interested in anything else.

After beer pong and the party winding down, Keith's friend took me back to my car. We talked for hours until we were able to see each other in the morning light. I find out he works at FedEx, he was active in Karate and so many other things. We also talked about things we had in common, though Disney did not come up for a few more dates(don't want to scare him away yet!!).

He invited me to another party the next night, breaking the rules of dating. I agreed, breaking another dating rule. From there we went out again the next day to NYC and the Met. We got to know each other more and more and then I decided that I didn't want to date anyone else. I broke it off with the attractive entrepreneur and excitedly hoped that this one could be the one.

His name was Devin and we officially started going out Sept. 9, 2008.

The Engagement to come....

Disney Fairytale Wedding PJ 9-22-12
Only trips after High school listed:
'03-'04 CP MK PG & Conductor
11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site
10/10 Engagement trip AKL CL
03-04/11 First DVC Stay POP/BCV
08/11 Big Family Trip OKW/BLT

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV

Last edited by dsnygrl21; 07-13-2012 at 09:30 PM.
dsnygrl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Bickimook2
Fab Five Member!

Aww...awesome story can't wait to hear about the engagement

2003 High School Band Trip - First Time to WDW - Off Site/ 2008 First Time to WDW with DF - All Star Movies Resort/ June 2011 Disneymoon! - Port Orleans - FQ
Bickimook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Cute story!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
sw33t_angel
DIS Veteran

Yay!!! Disney Themed-wedding! Can't wait to hear your story!!!
sw33t_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for giving me that bode of confidence that I really need to continue on!!

Yes, Disney themed wedding was something I came up with when I realized I couldn't afford a disney wedding with the amount of people we wanted to invite. So, at least I can do something similar to Disney.

Our Engagement:

We had now been dating for a year and a half and he was living with me for a little over a year. We had our lovers quarrels, tiffs and magical moments. I was happy, though we were living in my Mother's house at the time. We live on Long Island and money, as it is everywhere, was tight. We made the sacrifices necessary to live. If that meant living with my Mother for a little while, so be it.

All of a sudden, a wonderful opportunity arose. Devin found a manager position that would be a promotion in his work. What luck! With me no longer working weekends as I had been doing, a promotion would be perfect for us! He applied and got the job! It was a huge pay raise for him and we celebrated that April day, thinking about what that meant for our future.

I mentioned Disney... We had been dating for a while now and I thought it was time to finally take the plunge into the Disney trip that I wanted. After much deliberation, he agreed to it and said that we would "go all out" for this special trip. He smartly left all the planning to me. He had been to Disney only once when he was very young and didn't remember anything at all so I was very excited to be able to share this new experience with him. And go all out I did!!

We stayed at the AKL, Conceirge Level with PH tickets-WPF&M with a deluxe DP and Cirque Du Soleil tickets. We also booked spa treatments, golf on a PGA course, MNSSHP
(we were convicts) and the Sunrise Safari tour. Planning this trip was a blast and I was also getting the inkling that maybe, possibly, this would be the trip that I would get engaged.

I worked for Disney on the College Program as a PG in MK and then as a conductor on the train that goes around the MK. It was some of the best times of my life and I would go down constantly with friends I met from Disney to vacation there(this was before Devin came along, of course). Devin knew how important it was to me and I thought how magical it would be! I tried leaving him hints, papers showcasing cakes and printouts of, "how to propose at Disney". But all that got me was an angry boyfriend who wanted me to back off. Okay, so I was being too pushy!

I stopped. I figured it would just be enough to take the trip and that was that. The trip was drawing closer and closer and just when I thought nothing else could take up my thoughts, a proposition crept up and took me by surprise. I had been browsing for apartments and saw one at a reasonable price in a nice neighborhood. It was perfect(except for the fact that we would be leaving for Disney in 3 weeks)! We still checked the place out.
Now, with my heart set on it even more, we were able to find out that an apartment was becoming available and would be ready two weeks after we got back from Disney. Borrowing money from his Mother for the security deposit, we were able to secure the place(no pun intended...)! We would soon be on our own. That did make me nervous, especially since we were still only dating. But, I figured that I would keep my hopes up and discuss that after the trip. Why rush something that isn't decided??

We had an early flight on Saturday and we waited at the airport bar, having a drink before getting on the flight.

We arrived in a sunny Orlando airport and tried to follow signs to Disney's Magical Express(of course, we went the wrong way and got lost). Once seated and feeling special that we just made the bus before it left we made a few quick stops to other resorts before we arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was beautiful. I had only ever seen AKL from the outside to pick up my roommate from work when I was a CP. Why didn't she ever tell me to come in?! It was perfect with the light pouring in from the HUGE windows across the lobby that showcased Arusha Rock.

We checked in, downstairs. I had heard many rumors that you get taken upstairs to concierge to check in all special like but; whatever. Only one missed opportunity. I was smiling, giggling and almost giddy! I was back to my old stomping grounds after what seemed like eternity(even though it was only a year and a half). We went to the conceirge first and gave a gift to Don who had helped us so much during our planning. He seemed really happy with the mug full of chocolates.

We checked out the room and dropped off some of our things. I headed straight for the balcony to see the view. It was beautiful! We had a perfect view of Arusha Rock
and the open savannah
(BTW: I would definitely recommend staying there at least once!). We even saw zebra right in front of us a few floors down!
We were on the fourth floor and pretty close to the lobby without anything blocking our view. It was perfect!

We left there, went back to the concierge area and had a bite to eat since we didn't really have anything much since earlier that day. Devin had a taste of Tusker beer.
He thought it was delicious. He asked where I wanted to go first and I knew exactly where. "Magic Kingdom!" He laughed at me, called me cute and then we left for the most magical place on earth!

We arrived by bus to Magic Kingdom, taking the long walk up to the front hand in hand. We got through baggage check without a hitch, thank goodness, and used our keys to the kingdom to enter. I couldn't wait to see the look on Devin's face once we saw the castle and all but I think he was more excited to see my reaction. We had already purchased the photopass CD so when we saw the first person on Main Street that took pictures, we sprung into action. We told her it was our first pictures and she began taking shots.

She scanned the card and went to give it back to us when Devin pushed the card back into her hands. He said, "You should hold on to that since we will need a few more pictures taken." I was looking at him like, what are you doing? I tried to tell him, "Honey, there's people all over the park that can take our picture..."

He said, with a smile, "Yes, but this is a very important spot, because this is the spot that we get engaged." And with that, he got down on one knee and looked up at me who was blown into another dimension(how did I make it to the Twilight Zone from MK?!) looking down at him.
My body suddenly started registering and told my tear ducts, 'come on now, that's your cue!' Tears began spilling from my eyes as he said, "I love you. Will you marry me?"
I think things were going too fast and too slow at the same time. I didn't hesitate or even think about it(should I have thought about it?) and just said the first thing that I could, "Of course!" I waited until he rose from his knee, a goofy grin across his face like a child who was proud of his accomplishments. I hugged him and held on for dear life, afraid to let go and see it was all just a joke.
I kissed him through my tears and pulled away to see him still brimming with that goofy smile. People around us clapped and whispered, "She just got engaged?!" and "I think he is proposing!" and congratulated both of us.
The photographer took one or two more pictures that I would later see of me with rosy cheeks, puffy eyes and a happiness that seemed to make me glow.

The rest of the day was a blur as I called my Mother with shaking hands, he called his Mother while laughing at me still crying and us meeting up with old co-workers from Disney and telling them the good news.

The rest of the trip passed by quickly, TOO quickly, and all the wonderful times that would ensue. When we went to Jiko for dinner the next night, Devin had a cake specially made for me.
The saying on top was sweet. We wore the Just Engaged pins for the rest of the trip
(Boy, did he not know what he was getting into when he proposed this early into the trip) and we enjoyed our magical vacation up to the last minute.
Out of all the times I have been to Disney(which is a great deal), this would top them all! It was simply fantastic. I can't believe I came home with my very own "Happily Ever After..."

However, we would have a lot ahead of us in the coming months, especially with the move and planning... Ugh!!

11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV
Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Such a cute story and pics!! Can't wait to hear all of your plans!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

Here are some extra pictures of my Prince and me:

11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
sw33t_angel
DIS Veteran

OH my I LOVE your story!! Haha... got me teary eyed this morning!!

Can't wait to hear all your plans!

You guys are such a cute couple!
sw33t_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
mjshorses
Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that? Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future. --The Princess Bride

Congratulations!!! Your engagement story had me tearing up as well. What a wonderful surprise!!!!

I, also, can't wait to hear all your plans!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
DisneyShamrock
I would do anything for love, run right into hell and back. I would do anything for love, never lie to you and that's a fact....

I almost cried when I read your engagement story, too. It was so sweet!

Congratulations, and welcome to the boards!

I'm looking forward to seeing your plans unfold.
Updated 9/12/2013: Our Wishes Wedding~11/7/2013~WP/WHR~Updated 9/19: Tuxes & BM dresses

My Disney Vacations: 1994 - 1996 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 (Twice) - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005
2009 - 2010 - Dec 2012 (1st MVMCP) - May 2013 (Planning Session) - Nov 2013 (Wedding)

Future Trips: ? Disneyland May 2014 ?
DisneyShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
redlight
DIS Veteran

I love your story. I'll be following along.

Amy
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh. So this is going to sound really random, but I'm pretty sure I know you! I checked out your PJ because I'm also planning a NY wedding, and then I saw you were from Long Island... and then I saw your pictures and I recognized you! It's Becky, we were both involved in the BBP Pirates of Penzance attempt last summer.. So funny!

Anyway, I love your proposal story, it's so adorable, and so amazing that you were able to capture everything through pictures. I'll be following along!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

Hey there, everyone! I am going to have to read up on some of your PJ's as well! I haven't had a chance yet but I am looking forward to getting ideas from others.

Teary eyes are okay! I'm a sensitive person too, so I was crying while I was writing it, lol! But, I cry at everything, as DF tells me.

The Engagement Party:

Okay, so this I tried putting off and blamed the holidays but honestly I think it was because I was too overwhelmed with the idea of everything involved with having a wedding. I don't think that I've ever, in my adult life, had a party in my honor before. Little birthday things, but never big like this. It was a little scary!

I finally gained the courage and booked the place. I wanted a place that was nice but not too formal and also not to shabby. I looked at a few places that I liked but didn't like the price and then found a perfect place that is a brewery with rooms upstairs for private events. I thought that was perfect(especially since DF LOVES BEER!).

Here's a couple of pictures:

It's the perfect size for about 75 people which I am planning on having attend. My Mother is throwing the party for us, though we are paying for it(go fig).

The invitations I chose look like this:

I didn't want them too formal looking but I still wanted Disney themed. I love them. The writing is in a purple hue.

Now, again, I want to keep the Disney theming. What do you think I should have them write on the cake or what could I do with the engagement cake to spruce it up Disney-style??

The event is March 27, 2-6.

Would love some feedback if anyone could help!!! Thank you!

11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV

Last edited by dsnygrl21; 01-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnygrl21 View Post
Hey there, everyone! I am going to have to read up on some of your PJ's as well! I haven't had a chance yet but I am looking forward to getting ideas from others.

Teary eyes are okay! I'm a sensitive person too, so I was crying while I was writing it, lol! But, I cry at everything, as DF tells me.

The Engagement Party:

Okay, so this I tried putting off and blamed the holidays but honestly I think it was because I was too overwhelmed with the idea of everything involved with having a wedding. I don't think that I've ever, in my adult life, had a party in my honor before. Little birthday things, but never big like this. It was a little scary!

I finally gained the courage and booked the place. I wanted a place that was nice but not too formal and also not to shabby. I looked at a few places that I liked but didn't like the price and then found a perfect place that is a brewery with rooms upstairs for private events. I thought that was perfect(especially since DF LOVES BEER!).

Here's a couple of pictures:

It's the perfect size for about 75 people which I am planning on having attend. My Mother is throwing the party for us, though we are paying for it(go fig).

The invitations I chose look like this:

I didn't want them too formal looking but I still wanted Disney themed. I love them. The writing is in a purple hue.

Now, again, I want to keep the Disney theming. What do you think I should have them write on the cake or what could I do with the engagement cake to spruce it up Disney-style??

The event is March 27, 2-6.

Would love some feedback if anyone could help!!! Thank you!
What about doing some sort of cake that has a Disney ride theme? We are looking at doing a tower of terror cake (we got engaged on it) and I just saw an amazing splash mountain cake!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

P.S. your just engaged disney picture is cracking me up. those 2 ladies in the background really wanted to be in your picture...haha! but regardless, you guys look adorable

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: