Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Tricks, Treats, Toddler, Food & Wine. An October 2011 Pre-Trip Report.

Welcome to my next PTR! I am still busy finishing up my December 2010 TR, but figured it was time to start chronicling my plans, revisions of plans and yet changing them again.

Table of Contents:
So let's start with the basics:

WHEN: October 15-22, 2011
WHERE: BLT, Studio- our home resort
WHY: William's 4th birthday (October 30th), MNSSHP and Food & Wine
HOW: Annual Passes (second time to use them), TIW card (no dining plan)

OUR CAST:
ME- Michelle: 37, The planner, type A perfectionist, Mom to William, work full-time as Mktg Mgr at a technology company, DVC member as of Feb 2010, ex cast member (WDWCP 1996), likes going commando (no not that way, as in park touring!), loves junk food, picky eater, tries to please everyone.
Fav character: Tink
Fav ride: ToT and Splash
Fav Dining: Via Napoli/Ohana
Fav snack: kaki gori

DH- Alan: 39, works for a REIT (finance), loves working out and playing World of Warcraft. Finally gave into my disney obsession and bought DVC for our 10 year anniversary! Is the quiet type, hates having his picture taken, eats anything and lets me do all the planning.
Fav character: anything Star Wars!
Fav ride: Peter Pan
Fav Dining: Le Cellier
Fav snack: ice cream

DS- William (Will): 3yo, will be turning 4 right after our trip. He is a clever, tough, not scared of anything, Mommy's boy. Goes to Montessorri day care and loves it. Just made the 40" mark this Dec 2010 to ride TT, Splash, BTMRR and Soarin!
Fav character: Pooh and Mickey
Fav ride: Pooh
Fav Dining: anything!
Fav snack: cookies and M&Ms

This will be our first FAMILY ONLY trip together, just the three of us. All past trips have been with extended family and often large groups of us! In Dec 2009, we had 14 family members go! So we are looking forward to a 'just us' trip, so we can do what we want, when we want and not have to wait on anyone else. The focus will be all about William and what he wants to do. He will be almost 4, at the perfect age to really enjoy it all!

It will be Will's 3rd trip. As I say that, I realize just how lucky we are to be able to take him and experience such great memories together! He went in December 2009 and December 2010. I think it is Alan's 8th trip. He's been down twice to visit me on the college program, once with some of my family in 1993 (Ft Wilderness Home) and then August 06 for free dining, just the two of us, back again with my work in 2007 at AKL for a few days, then Dec 09 and Dec 10. Not counting my college program or work trips, I've been 13x to WDW. I've stopped here and there for a day on business and visited the parks alone, plus all the time I spent in the parks during my CP.

Another little note on our trip.......I am hoping to be pregnant! I know, it means I won't get to partake in 'beverages' at the F&W festival or ride my favorite ride, but no biggie since we get to go each year. It took us over two years to conceive William after over a year of fertility treatments and finally IVF (it worked!). We are so thankful it worked and cherish every day we have with our little guy. We don't take anything for granted. Our diagnosis was 'unexplained infertility'. Otherwise, they couldn't find an issue with either of us, which is really frustrating. Given my age, we anticipate a long road ahead to try and conceive again. We will actively start trying again on our own in the coming months and seek help again if we need to- but not until summer at the earliest. But cross your fingers, send hugs and prayers that it happens for us again and it would be great if I was preggo on this trip. We will see how it goes! Alan and I have been together since spring break of 1993 and were married in 2001. So we've been together for almost 18 years this coming April and married for 10 years this coming May!

So here are a few pictures to get to know us:
DH and I at our May 2001 wedding at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (DH's favorite playground, i love it too!)

at Ohana in 2006

and here are the three of us, this past December 2010 at WDW

and one last one of my little guy:

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT

Last edited by exwdwcm; 08-31-2011 at 10:27 AM.
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
exwdwcm

So let's get down to the plans.....

AIRFARE:

We typically fly American since we live 20 minutes from DFW and it is the hub for AA. Plus, I won 2 AA vouchers for flights at work during our United Way campaign. I bought some raffle tickets and won! I NEVER win anything liek that, so I was super excited. Now, will those vouchers actually work for our dates? I don't know- i have yet to check it out, but i will soon. I also have about 35k miles on AA from previous flights (business and pleasure), so we have enough for one free flight in miles too (25k usually for a flight). So we should have enough for all 3 of us to fly free, of course if there are no black outs or exceptions. We will see, AA does make it difficult usually to use your miles. If we have to pay for one ticket, no biggie, I can just use the miles to fly out DH to Vegas in late July when I am out there for work.

HOTEL:

We are booked currently at BLT in a lakeview studio for arrival on Saturday, October 15th and departure on Saturday, October 22nd. This is our home resort, so we were able to book early. I had thought about trying to get BWV or BCV, but I know they are hard to get in October with F&W and so many DVCers traveling then, plus just read about some huge analyst/consulting conference that week that is taking up a lot of resort hotels near Epcot too. Knowing that, i will definitely try and avoid Epcot at night when possible, although we have to do it at least once in the evening! For our hotel- we are currently booked that saturday-saturday.......however, I think we might try and come in Friday night instead. This last trip, we took a 6am flight and Alan hated it and we were worn out all day that saturday. So we figure we just take a late flight after work on Friday, get in late and be ready to go Saturday am. So still considering that and will probably decide for sure in March after the hours come out.

There are 3 different things I might consider.....
  1. just add friday night to our existing BLT ressie (if available)- but i worry we will get a crappy view checking in so late.
  2. just stay off site somewhere for the one night to save $ (could stay near airport and then do cocoa beach on saturday)
  3. check out AP rates- if something good is available, stay maybe at the Poly or POP for that one night (or even two nights, make it a split stay).
Until I can know for sure on flights, I won't book the additional night's hotel. If all else fails, I know we can just stay at some motel off site. We would probably get in late Friday, unless I can talk Alan into leaving work early. I did check some of the times on flights, and there are a few options:
leave at 6:20pm, arrive 9:50pm
leave at 7:30pm, arrive 11pm
leave at 5pm, arrive 8:30pm.

The 5pm would be great, but it would mean we would both have to leave work early, probably by 2pm for me and about 2:30-3 for him (he works right by the airport). Not sure he will do that or not, he mentioned NOT wanting to take an additional day off beyond the week we have planned. So we will see.

TRANSPORTATION:

We always rent a car. It is just a personal preference of ours. We can walk to the MK, take the monorail to Epcot, so we only really drive to DHS, AK and HS (or other resorts for meals). But we like the flexibility. I might try and hit up the disney outlet off 535 this time too. And we are considering doing a day at the waterpark (not sure which one) and possibly even a day at the beach. So we will most likely rent a car again. This time we can get a small one and save money. I usually find good deals and prefer to use National (Emerald Aisle, no check in desk!). I found a good deal this last trip for under $200 for the week for the full size car.

DINING:

We will use our TIW card that we purchased this past December for 20% our sit down meals. Since we are staying on our DVC points, we do not qualify for any free dining or other special discounts. We will plan to eat breakfast in the room, with the exception of any ADRs and maybe a cinnamon roll at MK one day. We usually do granola bars, cereal, fruit and are good. I will either do a garden grocer order or just stop and get some stuff that night at walmart on the way in.

for ADRS, we have a list going so far. We typically just do one sit down a day and we will have 7 full days, plus a half day our last day. So we want no more than 7-8 sit downs. The must-do's include:

1. O'hana breakfast (first for DH and Will)
  2. O'hana dinner (3rd time, we love it!)
  3. Crystal Palace breakfast (3rd time for DH/Will, probably 8th for me!)
  4. Via Napoli lunch or dinner (loved it last trip- our 2nd time)
  5. Teppan Edo for lunch or dinner (first time for all of us!)
  6. Mama Melrose for lunch or dinner (first time for all of us!)
The other few we are considering:
  • CRT breakfast- Will is sort of into watching Cinderella right now and I figure now is the time while he is still little and likes her- before he becomes all boy! I think he would enjoy eating in the castle. I've done breakfast and dinner here before, but Alan and Will have never eaten here.
  • Paradiso 37 (something new for all of us at DTD)
  • Wolfgang Puck (something new for all of us if i can break away from Earle!)
  • Tusker House breakfast at AK (think Will would enjoy this- i've done it once, they have not)
We will also visit our favorite QS, Earle of Sandwich at least once. Otherwise, QS is just whatever we find.

84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Wolfgan Puck Express is one of our favorites. We went there for the first time last October. My DH loved it so much we ate there twice!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Will's & Paxton's Birthdays are not too far apart...his is the 24th! Too bad we will be missing you this trip since those are about the dates we had chosen at first. But we really want to check out Festival of the Masters, so that's why we pushed back to November. Maybe another time?!

Sending LOTS of prayers your way for success as you are TTC! It will be a whole new experience doing WDW pregnant. I enjoyed some parts of it, but the heat was the worst. When we went on our honeymoon in October, I don't remember it being oppressively hot like it is during the summer months, so hopefully you will have a good experience. I loved feeling Paxton kick and squirm during the fireworks!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
DisneyRed95
Earning My Ears

Hi Michelle!

I'm here!

We were there the same week last year and loved it. The weather was perfect! I did notice Epcot was crazy in the evenings during the weekends. We actually did World Showcase a few days when it opened (at 11am) and it was so empty! We enjoyed hopping from booth to booth for lunch.

Good luck with the flights. I hope you're able to get in on Friday night. We did that last summer and it's nice to get a good night's rest and start the vacation off with some energy. You'll have to weigh your hotel options and see what works for you. We stayed at one of the off site hotels by DTD and then were able to check in early at AKL the next day. The only problem with staying at another hotel the night before is wondering if your room will be ready. It's kind of pain when it's not.

Great choice with ADRs. I haven't eaten at Via Napoli, but I'm hearing so many great things I think I need to check it out!

Your plans sound good so far! Good luck with the rest of the planning!!!

6/86-Poly, 6/88-CR/Poly, 6/90-GF, 12/92-GF, 12/94-GF, 6/95-WL, 8/96-GF, 6/97-GF, 7/98-WL, 3/00-POR, 6/00-CR,
Summer 00-WDW CP, 6/01-AKL, Summer/Fall 01-WDW CP, 10/01-POFQ, 1/02-ASMov, 6/02-AKL, 6/04-Poly, 6/05-Poly,
4/06-Pop, 12/06-Pop, 6/07-CBR, 5/08-CBR, 9/09-BWI (Honeymoon), 6/10-AKL, 10/10-SSR, 5/11-WL, 11/11-CSR,
5/12-AKV, 7/12-GCH/DLH, 10/12-BC, 11/12-Dream, 9/13-YC, 10/13-BWI
DisneyRed95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

Hi Michelle!

I'm here too!

I did Disney pregnant in April. Had just turned exactly 20 weeks. It was 90 degrees. We were at SSR and got up early and did some stuff and then came back in the afternoon and rested. Back out in the evening. We had a great time, but I was tired!

You have a great list of ADR's! Will will LOVE Tusker house for Breakfast. We did it this past July and Kathryn had a great time!! I will have send you some pictures! Can you PM me your email address? I don't know how to post them online! We are taking her to CRT next month on our trip. She is soooo into princesses now. She is going to love it! We LOVE Ohana's too! Book it every trip if not 1 meal, for two!! We used to like Wolfgang puck's but one trip we got a nasty stomach virus (we think from Hollywood & Vine) and WP was the last meal we ate and it didn't go over so well.

BLT is awesome! We are looking forward to our trip there in the fall! Do you request a room when you check in? I am in the same situation as you. Not sure when we will fly down yet but have to be on-site Friday. Debating late check-in and what kind of room we get or cancelling the first night and getting an AP rate or room by airport depending on when we land.

Looking forward to more!
WDW:7/14 BLT, VBR & POP, 8/13 BLT, 7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
exwdwcm

Thanks for reading all! you guys rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
Wolfgan Puck Express is one of our favorites. We went there for the first time last October. My DH loved it so much we ate there twice!
awesome, i had never heard a bad thing about it, so we need to try it sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Will's & Paxton's Birthdays are not too far apart...his is the 24th! Too bad we will be missing you this trip since those are about the dates we had chosen at first. But we really want to check out Festival of the Masters, so that's why we pushed back to November. Maybe another time?!

Sending LOTS of prayers your way for success as you are TTC! It will be a whole new experience doing WDW pregnant. I enjoyed some parts of it, but the heat was the worst. When we went on our honeymoon in October, I don't remember it being oppressively hot like it is during the summer months, so hopefully you will have a good experience. I loved feeling Paxton kick and squirm during the fireworks!
oh too bad we will just miss each other! But I know Paxton will have a blast! Thanks on the support! I am hoping October won't be a awful as the summer. We've done August before and it was pretty bad (and we are used to the heat and humidity in DFW). I don't know what the future will hold or if i will be pregnant or not- at this point, we have a lot going on at home we need to take care of before we start TTC, much less have to start dishing out big bucks for 'help'. We just found out we have termites, the gas heater was acting up last night (was 11 degrees last night) and i just slid the caddy on the ice into our mailbox this am. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRed95 View Post
Hi Michelle!

I'm here!

We were there the same week last year and loved it. The weather was perfect! I did notice Epcot was crazy in the evenings during the weekends. We actually did World Showcase a few days when it opened (at 11am) and it was so empty! We enjoyed hopping from booth to booth for lunch.

Good luck with the flights. I hope you're able to get in on Friday night. We did that last summer and it's nice to get a good night's rest and start the vacation off with some energy. You'll have to weigh your hotel options and see what works for you. We stayed at one of the off site hotels by DTD and then were able to check in early at AKL the next day. The only problem with staying at another hotel the night before is wondering if your room will be ready. It's kind of pain when it's not.

Great choice with ADRs. I haven't eaten at Via Napoli, but I'm hearing so many great things I think I need to check it out!

Your plans sound good so far! Good luck with the rest of the planning!!!
Thanks for the info- good to hear it is not crazy, other than Epcot. I am really trying to do the F&W during the day- like you, hit it right at 11am when WS opens. We will be at Epcot for two evenings, but i am planning them for during the week and we will have an ADR for dinner, not do the booths. I figure that way we avoid most of the crowds?

yeah, i won't be too hopeful on our room being ready saturday. this last trip, we tried to check in at like 1pm and they didn't have it ready, it was not ready until 4pm and after being up since 4am, we were dying to get in our room. we might try the beach the first day, and not even get back to Orlando to check in until 3pm or something anyhow, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingk View Post
Hi Michelle!

I'm here too!

I did Disney pregnant in April. Had just turned exactly 20 weeks. It was 90 degrees. We were at SSR and got up early and did some stuff and then came back in the afternoon and rested. Back out in the evening. We had a great time, but I was tired!

You have a great list of ADR's! Will will LOVE Tusker house for Breakfast. We did it this past July and Kathryn had a great time!! I will have send you some pictures! Can you PM me your email address? I don't know how to post them online! We are taking her to CRT next month on our trip. She is soooo into princesses now. She is going to love it! We LOVE Ohana's too! Book it every trip if not 1 meal, for two!! We used to like Wolfgang puck's but one trip we got a nasty stomach virus (we think from Hollywood & Vine) and WP was the last meal we ate and it didn't go over so well.

BLT is awesome! We are looking forward to our trip there in the fall! Do you request a room when you check in? I am in the same situation as you. Not sure when we will fly down yet but have to be on-site Friday. Debating late check-in and what kind of room we get or cancelling the first night and getting an AP rate or room by airport depending on when we land.

Looking forward to more!
michelle.peters1@hotmail.com is my email addy! yeah for Tusker house- I did it with my sister years ago on a trip that was just the two of us and enjoyed it- probably 10 years ago. bummer on the stomach bug.......and LOL at getting it at H&V, that is where I used to work. i haven't heard great things about their food now anyhow.

WE requested a room when we made our reservation with DVC, actually, not a room, but we requested 'even number' and 'north facing', since that is supposed to get you a better chance of a room with a fireworks/MK view, even though we were booked for lakeview. That is supposed to get you possible at that far north end of the building (where the tennis courts are- opposite end of Contemporary)---you can still have a lakeview there, but could also see some of the MK possibly. So that is what we requested. We got an even numbered room, but not north, in fact, we were as far south as you could get, looking right at the contemporary and over the lake/dock. The even numbered, means you would be on the outside of the horseshoe, the BLT is situated where it makes a big horseshoe on the side facing the lake. all the rooms on the inside of the horseshoe, facing hte lake are odd numbered. All the outside (facing MK and on the ends/outside) are even supposedly. You also want a high floor. I didn't request that and when we checked in, she said we were on the second floor and i was like- uh NO!!!! i told her to find us something else, she said nothing was available, but then she found something on the 6th floor. we took it. much better than being so low to the ground where you don't have a great view.

yeah, i am having the same issue on coming in Friday night. if there are AP rates for something, we might consider that- i've always wanted to try the Poly, or since it will be so late, we might just do it cheap and do POP, i've never stayed there either. Off site isn't a bad option either- again, since we won't be in the room much. If we were going to spend most of saturday am at the resort, it would make more sense to stay at the Poly or something. So we will just have to see what comes out.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
We requested a room when we made our reservation with DVC, actually, not a room, but we requested 'even number' and 'north facing', since that is supposed to get you a better chance of a room with a fireworks/MK view, even though we were booked for lakeview. That is supposed to get you possible at that far north end of the building (where the tennis courts are- opposite end of Contemporary)---you can still have a lakeview there, but could also see some of the MK possibly. So that is what we requested. We got an even numbered room, but not north, in fact, we were as far south as you could get, looking right at the contemporary and over the lake/dock. The even numbered, means you would be on the outside of the horseshoe, the BLT is situated where it makes a big horseshoe on the side facing the lake. all the rooms on the inside of the horseshoe, facing hte lake are odd numbered. All the outside (facing MK and on the ends/outside) are even supposedly. You also want a high floor. I didn't request that and when we checked in, she said we were on the second floor and i was like- uh NO!!!! i told her to find us something else, she said nothing was available, but then she found something on the 6th floor. we took it. much better than being so low to the ground where you don't have a great view.
We stayed there in Sept '09 and had a std 1bdrm. We were in 7611 if I remember right. We were right over the shuffle board courts, on the 2nd flr. It was nice but I def want to try for a higher flr. It was a short walk out to the pool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
yeah, i am having the same issue on coming in Friday night. if there are AP rates for something, we might consider that- i've always wanted to try the Poly, or since it will be so late, we might just do it cheap and do POP, i've never stayed there either. Off site isn't a bad option either- again, since we won't be in the room much. If we were going to spend most of saturday am at the resort, it would make more sense to stay at the Poly or something. So we will just have to see what comes out.
So there was a banner at the top of the page for up to 40% off late summer rates...I clicked on it and got a rate for the first night of our trip at POP for $62! $72 with all tax! So I booked it. Airfare still hasn't been released for our dates yet on JetBlue so I don't know when we will fly but I figured why not. It's 30pts for the 1brm for the night.
WDW:7/14 BLT, VBR & POP, 8/13 BLT, 7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I finally made it over! I love BLT and am so jealous
Too bad we will not be there at the same time. We wanna try CRT again this trip, it's Emma's b-day request so I figure why not!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingk View Post
We stayed there in Sept '09 and had a std 1bdrm. We were in 7611 if I remember right. We were right over the shuffle board courts, on the 2nd flr. It was nice but I def want to try for a higher flr. It was a short walk out to the pool!

So there was a banner at the top of the page for up to 40% off late summer rates...I clicked on it and got a rate for the first night of our trip at POP for $62! $72 with all tax! So I booked it. Airfare still hasn't been released for our dates yet on JetBlue so I don't know when we will fly but I figured why not. It's 30pts for the 1brm for the night.
awesome on POP rate!!! I might have to check that out. I am just unsure what we will really do yet that first day----if we really want to head to the beach or just stay on site. If we do the beach, we would only do like 4 hours out there max. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
I finally made it over! I love BLT and am so jealous
Too bad we will not be there at the same time. We wanna try CRT again this trip, it's Emma's b-day request so I figure why not!
I know, bummer we will won't be there at the same time. yeah for CRT- i hope i can book it!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
exwdwcm

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

So no more official plans made as of yet. I am waiting on the park hours to come out first before I really finalize my schedule more.

We love doing morning EMH, but did not this past trip. I just was afraid it would be too early for Lindsey and my MIL who were with us. Glad I didn't, since it took MIL forever to get ready each day and we often missed rope drop and even were lucky to make it at 10am a few days.

Alan and I prefer to arrive at opening. We don't always make the actual rope drop ceremony, but we are usually there just minutes after. So this trip, i want to go back to doing a few morning EMHs. I want to do Epcot and MK EMH. Based on historical hours, Tuesday will be an Epcot AM EMH and Thursday an MK one. So we would do those parks those mornings. Then I'll build my schedule from there.

So here's is my method to the madness for planning:
  1. typically i start by picking the EMHs we want to do.
  2. I also like to do MK and Epcot early in the trip- i usually want to have visited both by the second day at least.
  3. I like to mix in AK in the middle, since we only spend a day there.
  4. I like to break up HS- we usually do one morning and one night there. It is rare that we stay at the same park all day (since we take breaks).
  5. This trip, i also want to build in a morning to do a waterpark (leaning towards Blizzard Beach).
  6. I also try and not schedule an early morning after MNSSHP too.
  7. Plus I want to attempt to do the F&W booths at Epcot during the day for lunch, not at night.
  8. I want to avoid Epcot in the evenings on the weekend
  9. I want at least one morning/afternoon or evening at DTD, preferably NOT on the weekend
  10. I want to do a character breakfast on sunday am if possible (our first full park day)
So i start with all of that to build the schedule and shuffle around parks. I like to build a schedule that has breakfast, AM park, lunch, PM park, dinner for each day.

We have 7.5 days total.

So I have a rough schedule, but still juggling some things.

So a few questions for feedback:
  1. have you done Cocoa beach and would you recommend spending some time there? We are thinking about like 3-4 hours- not a whole day.
  2. What would you vote for our first day and our hotel the first night. We would arrive Friday night, 10/14 at 8:30pm. The morning is my problem- what to do? on saturday evening- we will plan dinner at Ohana and the MK for EMH night. but for morning, (and night before) the options are:
*stay at a cheap hotel near the airport (under $100), drive to Cocoa Beach on Sat morning, grab breakfast, play in waves/sand, grab lunch, head back to orlando by 2pm.

*just add a night to BLT for Friday night. My concern is we won't get a great view since we would check in so late? Then no beach in the am- instead, head to a character breakfast (Ohana or CP) and a park that day. Swim in afternoon at BLT.

*attempt to get an AP rate on site- POP or Poly. If we could get Poly, then we would probably do breakfast there, swim and enjoy the facility that am. If we were able to get Poly, i might even look at staying there two nights. who knows! If POP, we would do character breakfast and then off to a park that am, then move to BLt that afternoon.

So thoughts? Ideas? What would you do? Will is 3yo, will be a week away from 4 when we go. He loves swimming (in swim lessons) and has been to the beach, but he was 1yo then. Should we save beach for future trip when he is older or go now? plus now is a great time, since it is just us?

Also- question- what water park do you recommend? Again- he likes to swim- he is not afraid of slides. We get a season pass at our local water park each summer (last 2) and he loves it. Which park has more for his age (4yo) to do? We would not spend a whole day there, probably from opening (10am) to like 3pm or something. He usually won't last more than 4-5 hours.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Hi! Joining in, I'll be there in October as well! I'm finishing up my November TR now, but when I'm done, I'll start a ptr!

Going to get caught up!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Joining in!! I know exactly what you mean about this trip being more relaxed since it's just you 3. I am looking forward to our Mommy and Jack trip this fall as well.

Good luck on the baby! I went to WDW pregnant with Jack and I actually really enjoyed it. I had a lot more free time to just relax and take in the atmosphere while everyone else was riding rides.

As far as your first night, I would just add the night at BLT. If you check in online they automatically assign you a room beforehand, so it won't matter what time you get there.
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Hi! Joining in, I'll be there in October as well! I'm finishing up my November TR now, but when I'm done, I'll start a ptr!

Going to get caught up!
woo hoo- thanks for joining in- definitely post your link when you get started! I'll check out your nov TR too! What are your dates for Oct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
Joining in!! I know exactly what you mean about this trip being more relaxed since it's just you 3. I am looking forward to our Mommy and Jack trip this fall as well.

Good luck on the baby! I went to WDW pregnant with Jack and I actually really enjoyed it. I had a lot more free time to just relax and take in the atmosphere while everyone else was riding rides.

As far as your first night, I would just add the night at BLT. If you check in online they automatically assign you a room beforehand, so it won't matter what time you get there.
great to know on the room assignments, i wasn't sure how it was done now with all the changes they made recently. I might just do that now and see if it is available. It can't hurt, I can always cancel if need be. what are the dates for your trip with just you and Jack?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I vote you stay at the Poly but I am partial to that resort

Really I agree that you should just book another night at BLT!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: