Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
MikeAidanEoinMom
Mom to Three Sons

Goofys Kitchen or Surfs up breakfast??

We are doing one character meal on our trip. It looks like Goofys kitchen will cost us about $20.00 more for the meal... I know only 20.00 lol but I could use that money for somethig else Has anyone done both and any thoughts on the differences and experiences?? TIA
MikeAidanEoinMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
cloudconnected1039
Mouseketeer

I've been wondering the same thing!!

I've done Goofy's Kitchen breakfast a couple of times and my experience was good. We would always make a reservation for the first open slot in the morning, so the characters and other guests would be pretty sparse. You take a picture with Pluto before being seated, and they've always allowed me to have them take a picture with my camera. And Goofy is always there, of course. I've seen Mulan, Fairy Godmother, Baloo and probably more. But this is usually at around 7 or 730 am . Food is good, I'm not too hard to please the experience is more important for me. But the peanut butter and jelly pizza is fantastic!! The omlette station is quite tasty as well. We usually like choosing Goofy's Kitchen rather than Minnie and Friends because I'm not a huge breakfast eater and Goofy's Kitchen offers breakfast and lunch dishes .

But I've never been to Surf's Up I was wondering what the experience was like as well. Do they serve a lunch/breakfast combination as well?? Cause that would give major points!
DL Trips: 1991 DLH, 2000 offsite, July 2008 DLH, June 2009 (Grad Night), August 2009 offsite, October 2009 DLH, February 2010 offsite, April 2010 offsite, August 2010 offsite, October 2010 offsite, October 2010 (yes, again) GCH, November 2010 offsite, March 2011 GCH, July 2011 offsite, October 2011 PPH, December 2011 offsite
Upcoming trips: WDW September 2013
Me! (21) DBF (20)
cloudconnected1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

We like GK. Really have never had a bad experience or food. We always try for the first times the have open for breakfast or dinner.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

We've done GK once and enjoyed it, but we really liked Surf's Up Mickey... quieter atmosphere, but still lots of interaction! And the peanut butter chocolate chip banana french toast sounds weird, but is awesom!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
FlameGirl
I kind of wonder if it is because of a certain expectation
I'd say go for it!

We have done both, didn't LOVE either but we all enjoyed Goofy's more.
FlameGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
brookies_mommy
I'm good on the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudconnected1039 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing!!

I've done Goofy's Kitchen breakfast a couple of times and my experience was good. We would always make a reservation for the first open slot in the morning, so the characters and other guests would be pretty sparse. You take a picture with Pluto before being seated, and they've always allowed me to have them take a picture with my camera. And Goofy is always there, of course. I've seen Mulan, Fairy Godmother, Baloo and probably more. But this is usually at around 7 or 730 am . Food is good, I'm not too hard to please the experience is more important for me. But the peanut butter and jelly pizza is fantastic!! The omlette station is quite tasty as well. We usually like choosing Goofy's Kitchen rather than Minnie and Friends because I'm not a huge breakfast eater and Goofy's Kitchen offers breakfast and lunch dishes .

But I've never been to Surf's Up I was wondering what the experience was like as well. Do they serve a lunch/breakfast combination as well?? Cause that would give major points!
I agree with PP about GK! We love that place!!! We are going to Surfs Up next month.. but hav eready GREAT things about them to
Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

I haven't done GK (we switched because of the refurb). But we just did Surf's Up and LOVED it. The characters spent a TON of time interacting with my kids, they even got out hula hoops to play with them. We went early on a weekday, so it was rather quiet which was also a huge bonus. I think for adults, GK might be better food wise, but I can't imagine anything beating the character interaction my kid's had at Surf's Up and that's what it's all about to me. And I thought the food was good as well.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Goofy's Kitchen is a huge buffet with a lot of seating. The characters make their way to your table while you're eating.....we've seen anywhere from 4 to 8 characters during our meal. The buffet includes pastries & goodies, fresh fruit, fresh vegies, salads, kid favs like Mac-n-Cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets as well as a large choice of hot foods including carved meats. Goofy & friends play games & dance with the kids at set times during your meal. Lots of fun...can be a bit loud & busy.

Surf's Up is a smaller setting with a smaller buffet. The characters also come to your tables, but due to the smaller crowds they can come back around a few times during your meal. The buffet has some different options like salmon, pita pizzas, smoothies, peanut-butter/chocolate french toast, etc. During your meal they teach the kids to dance, hula hoop & surf. Really enjoy this meal because of the interaction with the characters. This is also the only meal you will find Mickey Mouse.

Both great options.....if you can work out doing both....you won't be disappointed!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Sally_fan
DIS Veteran

We have done GK 2x & Surf's Up 1x (in December).
GK has a much bigger selection of food, has been consistently good for us & the characters have always been great. They always spend time at our table & we have always left happy. We really enjoyed both of our breakfasts there & would gladly go back!
Surf's Up while having a smaller selection of food, it was all good but the character interaction was wonderful!!!! My kids are 12 & 9 but we still had a character at our table almost the entire time we were there. If they weren't at our table entertaining the kids (even goofing around with us adults!) they were up dancing, hula hooping & "surfing" with the kids. It was a wonderful experience & I highly recommend it.
I am probably not helping you make up your mind by saying that we loved both but that's all I got! Good luck with your decision! I am sure that you will have a wonderful time no matter where you chose to go!

1st trip to DL (with parents)~1987, 2nd trip to DL (with DH & a friend)~ August 1996-Cavalier Inn & Suites, 3rd trip to DL (with DH, DS-8 DD-5)~ May 2007-Candy Cane Inn, 4th trip to DL (with DH, DS-9, DD-7)~ Oct 2008-HoJo, 5th trip to DL (with DH, DS-10, DD-8)~ Sept 2009-HoJo, 6th trip to DL (with DH, DD-8, DS-11, MIL & FIL)~ Apr 2010-Stovall's Inn, 7th trip to DL (with DH, DS-11, DD-9, my parents & a bunch of friends too!)~ Dec 2010-HoJo, 8th trip to DL (with DH, DS-13 & DD-11)~ Oct 2012-HoJo, 9th trip to DL (with Mom & DD, DS<with school band)~ May 2014!!!
Sally_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
VallCopen
VGC Lover

Have you considered doing Minnie and Friends inside Disneyland at the end of main street? I have not done it but if breakfast is what you are looking for I have heard it is the best as far as characters go and interaction. Don't quote me but I think you can get into the park 1 hour before they open to the public so that you can start breakfast, and they have many different characters.
VallCopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
brookies_mommy
I'm good on the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by VallCopen View Post
Have you considered doing Minnie and Friends inside Disneyland at the end of main street? I have not done it but if breakfast is what you are looking for I have heard it is the best as far as characters go and interaction. Don't quote me but I think you can get into the park 1 hour before they open to the public so that you can start breakfast, and they have many different characters.
Not sure about being allowed early into the park BUT Minnies was GREAT! Loved it!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
mystic_path
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them, Walt Disney

Goofy's Kitchen is excellent. Really good food, and a good variety, and the interaction has been fantastic. The last time the Mad Hatter grabbed my camera which happened to be on video and he ran around the restaurant acting totally NUTS with it. It was fabulous. So was the video he happened to capture! HAHAHA!! It's on Youtube. If you wanna see it type in

At Goofy`s Kitchen at Disneyland by sweettrav.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
mydisneyobsession
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_path View Post
Goofy's Kitchen is excellent. Really good food, and a good variety, and the interaction has been fantastic. The last time the Mad Hatter grabbed my camera which happened to be on video and he ran around the restaurant acting totally NUTS with it. It was fabulous. So was the video he happened to capture! HAHAHA!! It's on Youtube. If you wanna see it type in

At Goofy`s Kitchen at Disneyland by sweettrav.
That is such a great video! Amazingly fun.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
mystic_path
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them, Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydisneyobsession View Post
That is such a great video! Amazingly fun.
HAHA It was a blast! I have more video footage of the Hatter playing with a light saber pretending to be darth vader. I wept laughing so hard. I'll see if I can upload it to the Youtube.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
MikeAidanEoinMom
Mom to Three Sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by VallCopen View Post
I did consider that one but I read somewhere it opens at park opening.... if we could get into the park an hour early we would go for that one. we will be on a 3 hour time difference so I know we will be up
MikeAidanEoinMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: