Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

A Mickey's Very Merry "Holy Crap It's Cold" Trip Report 12/9-12/16

Adding links for the follow on TR posts:
Day 1 Continued - Animal Kingdom

Day 2 - Chef Mickey, MonoFail, Epcot

Day 3 - Magic Kingdom Pt 1

Day 3 - Magic Kingdom Pt 2

Trippus Reportus Interruptus - Felinus Annoyus

Day 3 - Magic Kingdom Part 3 -Sword in the Stone, Kissing Dogs, and a Parade -Oh My!!

Day 4 - Ridemakerz, DTD, Hollywood Studios, Rain, rain, and more a little more rain

Day 5 - AK, WOW ITS COLD!!! What do you mean we didn't pack long underwear???, animalatronic safari

Day 6 – I’m tired, Magic Kingdom, MVMCP, and Lovebirds meet for the first time….

Day 7 - DHS its still cold!!!

Day 8 - Now it's time to say goodbye.....

OK, so I’m a bit delayed in starting my trip report, but I promise I will try and get posts out quickly and coherently.

For those of you who don't already know us, We are Katie, Glen & Ethan.

So our trip started on December 9, 2010 at 3:30am. Yeah, ouch that time hurts! So Glen & I get up without hitting snooze (hey, that’s a miracle all by itself!). I go walk the dogs and get us cups of coffee while he hops in the shower. I quickly suck down my cup of coffee then it’s my turn. While I’m getting ready Glen wakes Ethan up who was waaayyyy to perky for 4am. We wake the dog/house sitters and tell them we are heading out and make our first stop of the morning: Wawa. Mmmmm…..coffee. Ok, now we can start our journey towards the off-site parking we booked and then on to the airport. We make it down there in about 40 mins with no problems and load up our bags on the shuttle and head towards the airport. We check in around 5:15am for our 7am flight with no issues.

We head up through security and on over to the food court to get some more coffee and breakfast. We then make our way to the gate and sit and wait. Finally they begin to board and I am getting antsy as I hate to fly. I used to love flying when I was younger, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more afraid of simple things. I guess that whole invincible thing wears off by 30. So anyway, we’re on board and start to taxi to our runway and we are 3rd or 4th in line to take off. The flight goes ok until we start getting closer to Orlando when we hit a lot of turbulence. I did not like that at all. We finally land at MCO and I start getting giddy.

I know this airport better than Philadelphia. We start bee-lining for the magical express area.

Our Bus:

Ethan & I very excited and wanting to get rolling:

We waited maybe 15 minutes for our bus to start boarding and then another 10 minutes before we left. Unfortunately, we would not be heading right to Animal Kingdom Lodge. We have to make a few stops first. Okay, I can handle this. We are almost home.

When we finally arrive at AKL we are greeted by a drummer, how awesome is that!

We make our way inside and stand there stupefied for a few minutes as we take in the grandeur that is the lobby of AKL.

Finally I head over to the check in desk and get us checked in. We requested a king standard view room, but we are getting a bunk bed partial savanna view room. Okay, I can live with that. Oh, and our room is ready. It’s only 11am so I am stoked we can unload some of our crap before we head out. So we start walking to our room, and keep walking and walk some more. Our room is in the very last section. OMG! We are gonna be hurtin this week!

Ethan super excited for bunk beds

View outside our room:

Day 1 continued in next post

A Mickey's Very Merry "Holy Crap It's Cold" Trip Report - Dec 2010

Katie (DW) / Glen (DH - 44) / Ethan (DS - 11)

Past trips: 1997 FW Campground; 2007 CBR; 2010 AKL; 2011 CBR; 2012 POR

Last edited by Katie & Glen; 04-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
LAH LAH
1244.22 Miles from the Magic

We too were there from the 10th-16th...boy oh boy was it cold!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

So we dump our stuff and start or trek back to the lobby to make our way to Animal Kingdom Park. We get to the bus area and a bus is already pulling up that has no one on it. Hey, Iíll take it. Iíve heard plenty of horror stories about buses at AKL. Itís a short ride to the park and before we enter we see the big tree and a PhotoPass photographer. We go see her quick and she start snapping away. Then she seeís Ethan's 1st visit button and asks when did we arrive. When we told her just a few minutes ago she gets all excited and hands us a present to hold and take pictures with. So she has us pose and it does not occur to me that she is taking a magic shot. I didnít know until we got home and I looked at our pictures.

So we head to the gates and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we have no issues with our tickets. I heard a lot of people say they had problems with all the system upgrades going on. So thankfully, no issues.

We head straight back to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur! I figure Ethan is an 8 year old boy who loves dinos, so he should love this ride right? WRONG! He hates it! It scared the bejesus out of him! GREAT!!! His first ever ride at WDW scares him. Well, we get him to calm down and walk on over to Everest to grab a FP and then head over to Flame Tree BBQ for some lunch. We eat and listen to the screams of people on Everest. Great, heís not going to want to go on this one now!

Before Dinosaur:

View from Flame Tree:

After lunch we head over to Everest and get in the stand-by line since the wait is only 15 minutes. Did I mention the cheerleaders yet? NO, oh man, sorry about that! They were everywhere! Cheering non-stop! Glen and I made up some of our own cheers that are not MB appropriate so I will not repost them here. But, I digressed. It seems at least 75 cheerleaders are in line with us. Man do I have a headache at this point! So as we make our way closer to the ride Ethan starts telling us heís got a stomach ache. Oh great here we go! We talk him into going on the ride by telling him that if his stomach hurts, we have to leave and go back to the room, no more rides today. So he tells us that really heís just nervous. We say to ride it once if you donít like it, you donít ever have to go back on. We ride, and he loves it. We got off and rode once more through stand-by.

After this, I sent Glen & Ethan off to ride Triceratop Spin and go play in the boneyard while I go get a FP for the Safari.

I met up with them in the boneyard and we played for a bit before making our way to Africa. We get up to the safari and donít need to use our FPís again, I see a pattern here. So we board and have a great Safari. We saw all the baby elephants! After that we head through the Pangani trail because I want to see the baby gorilla that was born earlier in the year. Well we see her and she is sooo cute!

After the trail we hop on the train for the Conservation Station. As soon as we arrive and make our way into the building, we see Jiminy Cricket. OMG!!!

So we get an autograph and walk around looking at the animals in wellness care and happen upon Rafiki. WOW! This is awesome! So we get Rafikiís autograph and some pictures and take the train back.

We head back over to Asia since Ethan wants to ride Everest once more before we leave for the night. Yeah, we rode like 3 more times. After we finally got him off the ride we stop and do some shopping at Island Mercantile and make our way back to the bus area to go back home.

We get back to AKL and trek on back to our room to unload some more and head down to Boma for dinner. Once we are seated I spot who I think is PoppyGirl. I was right! It is PoppyGirl! We chat for a few and let them finish with their dinners and we need to start ours. We werenít all that impressed with the food, but the desserts were amazing! All I have to say is Zebra Cakes. Mmmm.

After dinner we make our way back to our room to start unpacking and get ready for an early start on our next day.

Next up: Day 2 - Epcot and the monofailÖ.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
francis6306
DIS Veteran

We were there the 10-15! It was FREEZING! Can't wait to see how our trips line up!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

So we start of bright and early at 5:30am today. Glen & I start coffee and showers before we wake Ethan up at 6am. We have a 7:15 ressie at Chef Mickeyís. We get downstairs by 6:20 and a cab is ready to take us off to start our day!

We really enjoyed our breakfast here. If we were not on the dining plan we would not have done it. I think our bill was close to $100. Really?!

So we make our way over to the monorail area and it is just pulling up.

We get on and wait. And wait some more. Finally they make an announcement that there are some mechanical issues and we should be leaving in 5 minutes. Okay, I can wait another 5. 10 minutes later we are still waiting. We decide to head down to the bus area and catch a bus to the TTC so we can hop another monorail to Epcot.

So we arrive 30 minutes after the park opens, not too bad, but I wanted to be there for opening. So we get in and Glen heads to get FPís for Soariní and Ethan and I make our way over to Test Track. Of course that was a big hit.

Yes, that is a tiger tattoo on my leg.

From there we went through to explore Innoventions East & West. We also did club cool and I did not get any pictures of Ethan & Glen trying Beverly. I did get it on video, but we still havenít gone through all those yet. As soon as I can get that up here I will.

From club cool we started to make our way over to Captain EO. I remember seeing this at Disneyland back in 1988. It was still as cheesy and as cool as I remember it. Glen & Ethan really enjoyed this too. Next we went to Journey into the Imagination with Figment. We liked it, but probably wonít do it again.

We finally started to make our way over to World Showcase for our 2pm lunch at San Angel in for Candlelight Processional reservation. Lunch was very spicy, but very good. We had a great waiter named Raphael. After lunch we headed out of WS and over to Soariní. We got very lucky and got B1 without having to ask. This was a big hit with the boys, and me as well. After Soariní we went over to get a FP for Mission Space and then started to head over for the CP.

We get fairly decent seats off to the right. The show was good, but Iím not sure itís a must do if we go back at Christmas time.

From here we walk around to Canada for our LeCellier ressie at 6:25pm. We go there and check in and they are running 30 minutes behind. No problem. It gives us more time to make room from such a late lunch.

Glen & I both got the cheddar cheese soup and the filet.

Glen's Beer:

Ethan had the kids steak. Here we had an awesome waiter named Matt and it was his birthday! We chatted a while with him. He was super excited as his mom was coming in to visit in another week. For dessert, I was the only taker and I had the maple crŤme brule. WOW! It was amazing!

We would definitely do LeCellier again, even if it is 2 TS credits. So after we finish we head out between the Entrance to WS and Canada to watch Illuminations. This is my first time seeing this, and I was not impressed. Iím more a wishes girl. Glen & Ethan enjoyed the show.

So after Illuminations we headed over to Mission Space to get that in quick before making our way out and back to our resort. We did the wimpy side mostly because we were so full. We all agreed to do the ďintenseĒ experience on our last day. Before we left, we decided a quick ride on Spaceship Earth. This was cool. I haven't done this since I was Ethan's age (8). We also spotted a Stitch topiary so we took a few pictures of it. Just a heads up, you will see a lot of Stitch in this TR. He is my favorite. Goofy comes in a close second now.

Well, thatís all for our first Epcot day. Next up, Magic Kingdom and cold!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I'm here!!! going back to read

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

OK I finally go back on here

Great start to the report! I know what you mean about flying, I used to love it and now I get nervous before I fly. I just think to myself that if I had to drive it would be 21 hours and that would be way worse. We also hit turbulence over Florida on the 9th but we were later in the afternoon. I wonder what was going on that day.

Ahhh the Creme Brulee at Le Cellier was so good
I can't believe we were at the same CLP show and close to eachother for Illuminations. Funny how that happens. I can't wait to see if we were close to eachother anymore and didn't know it

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
francis6306
DIS Veteran

We had the (free) dining plan too, and I'm glad that we did it! I know how I am about budgeting and money, and if I hadn't had the plan, I wouldn't feel like spending the money! BUT since it was part of our package, I took advantage of it! We did Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast and our total was over $100. NO WAY would I spend that for breakfast! haha... but it was VERY good. I'll talk about it later in my trip report!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Am subbing and looking forward to reading more! on getting Ethan to ride EE after his Dinosaur experience. Looks like the weather was a bit warmer at Epcot from the day time pics
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
We had the (free) dining plan too, and I'm glad that we did it! I know how I am about budgeting and money, and if I hadn't had the plan, I wouldn't feel like spending the money! BUT since it was part of our package, I took advantage of it! We did Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast and our total was over $100. NO WAY would I spend that for breakfast! haha... but it was VERY good. I'll talk about it later in my trip report!
We paid for the deluxe dining plan because I had gotten a 40% off pin code, but it was still worth it. The amount we would have spent was way more then the plan cost. We all agreed we really enjoyed being able to do more sit-down meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Am subbing and looking forward to reading more! on getting Ethan to ride EE after his Dinosaur experience. Looks like the weather was a bit warmer at Epcot from the day time pics
Have to stay tuned! The cold does come in. We had warm-ish weather the 9th, 10th, 11th and 16th. it got very cold very quick!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
crgfsu1
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Already looking forward to more Looks like you are off to a great start!

cathy

No Wishes, Just A Dream
CBR 10/3 - 10/10/2007 & MNSSHP

Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

Sorry I have been slacking on a new update. I did our taxes today instead of writing. Hopefully I can get a chapter or two up tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
txmomto1
Mouseketeer

Loving your review so far!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom 1st day

Day three we start off waking up around 4:30am to the screeching of some bird that looked and sounded like the inspiration for Kevin in Disneyís ďUpĒ. OK, well we needed to get up soon anyway, but come on! We couldnít get in that extra 15-20 minutes? We had originally scheduled a 7:30 breakfast ressie at Oíhana, but the Magic Kingdom hours changed for this day to open at 8am.

Glen isnít feeling so hot this morning but decides to try and make it out with us. We walk down to the bus area and it is cold! I think it was in the 30ís that morning. The weather said it would warm up, but it was a bit cloudy to start. Just as we get down to the bus, Glen needs to go back to the room. We decide to meet up at Magic Kingdom later. I think we got the 7:25 bus, so I was a bit nervous we would miss the opening show.

Ethan and I get there 5 minutes before the show starts. Just as I am recording the opening Glen comes up to us and starts snapping pictures. Heís feeling much better now. I am really surprised at how empty the show area is.

We make our way down Main Street towards the castle and itís really cloudy and a bit chilly this morning. We head over to Dumbo and get right on. Then we get off and go on again.

After Dumbo, Glen & Ethan make their way to Peter Panís Flight as I head back to Main Street Bakery for some coffee, hot chocolate & cinnamon rolls. We sit right behind Dumbo and eat. Man were those good. I find out that Glen & Ethan rode PPF 3 times with no wait. Ok, thatís cool.

We make our way over to Tomorrowland to grab FPís for Space Mountain and we see Chip & Dale out taking pictures and signing autographs. So we stop and get some good pictures and have some fun.

From here, we make our way over to Toon Town and ride Goofyís Barnstormer 3 times in a row without stopping at the station. The ride operator would just slow us with putting on the brakes and asked us if we wanted to go again. He tried to get us to go a 4th time, but people were starting to line up so we said no. It was nice having the ride to ourselves. From here, we headed over to Mickey & Minnieís houses. Mickeyís house was crowded but Minnieís was empty so we headed into there.

From here we made our way over to the Mad Hatters Tea Party. Glen does not do well on spinning rides so it was just Ethan and I. We got some great pictures on the ride and had a great time until it was time to get off. Because I was the one doing the spinning of our tea cup and also trying to focus to take pictures once we got going. So when I got off I was stumbling a bit and had to get my bearings for a few before we continued on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: