Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

What is the difference btwn. Jambo house and Kidani Village?

I can't seem to find the difference between Jambo house and Kidani Village at AKL villas?
Which one do you prefer and why?
Thanks!

*May 2015-Grand Floridian and Beach Club * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
robinbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
RDP
DIS Veteran

Kidani is all DVC accommodation whereas Jambo has only a limited amount of DVC accomodation. Concierge facilities are only available at Jambo. Kidani is generally quieter than Jambo and all the main faciities are at Jambo. The only restaurant at Kidani is Sanaa. There is a small gift shop at Kidani with a limited range of merchandise. The pool at Kidani is excellent for young children. There are gyms at both.
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Kidani is the newer villa only section of the Animal Kingdom resort. Jambo house includes the villas that are on the 5th and 6th floors of Animal Kingdom Lodge. Kidani 1brs offer an extra bathroom when compared to Jambo and (Kidani) is also the first stop for bus transportation. Kidani does not offer a CS dining option. Jambo, being located within AKL does offer CS dining. Both have savannas for viewing as well as themed pools.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Darkside
Mouseketeer

Parking!

If you stay at Kindani Village, you can park your car underneath the resort, where as at Jambo House you have to walk quite a distance to get to your vehicle. Also, your vehicle is sparred from the harsh Florida sun at Kidani Village.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

We will not have a car, so I am not worried about parking. Which one is closer to the bus stop?
Which one do you prefer?

*May 2015-Grand Floridian and Beach Club * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
robinbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

They share buses, but each has its own bus stop. Kidani is the first stop, then the bus travels to AKL/Jambo. I prefer Kidani for both the extra bathroom in the 1 Br Villa as well as because it is the first bus stop. We usually have cereal in the room and eat in the parks so quick service dining isn't an issue for us.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Darkside
Mouseketeer

Bus

Kidani is first to pick and first to drop off, just a note.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
d-r
l|ll|||ll||ll||

I prefer kidani. I love it there. Even though it is huge it feels intimate. The pool is great, like a playground. I like parking downstairs. I like saana. I like the more intimate feel of the savanna. The bbq area is great. I like the layout of the villas better because the living room has an extra bathroom. It has the community room with pool and wii, and the library which is such a nice space to me.

on the downside, kidani is huge and you can be a long walk from anything. some folks like having a fast food place close by, and since that is in jambo it is closer to be at jambo (on the other hand, at kidani you have a kitchen and are so close to off property grocery/restaurants).

That said, the older bldg. is great too, and beautiful. certainly more grand and impressive. More restaurants (one upscale, one buffet, one fast food). A nice big pool with zero depth entry, and not as many play ground features but a nice slide and a baby pool also and a "dry" playground. Nice savannahs. The gift shop at jambo is bigger than at kidani.

Both have a lot of really neat art and artifacts from Africa. Maybe a little more impressive in the lobby at jambo but really neat in both.

Basically, I think it boils down this way. IMHO. If you like a more condo/dvc feel, a little slower and quieter pace, able to play in the pool and community hall and bbq and stuff like that, you are a kidani person. If you lean more toward the deluxe hotel feel, more dining out options, more in the center of things, more like a hotel than a condo, you are a jambo person. Both are great, both are similar, just some small matters of preference.

Both have one bus stop and no other transportation so it is pretty much a wash - if you have a room closer to the bus stop you do, if you don't you don't, so I don't think that one is better than the other. Some kidani rooms would be closer to the kidani stop than some jambo rooms are to the jambo stop, and vice verse. I think I remember more routes stopping first at Kidani, if that matters.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

One bus route picks up at Jambo first...I think it's the DHS bus. This way, if you are at Jambo and want to get to Kidani to eat or swim, you can take the DHS bus and get off at Kidani. If you want to get to Jambo House, you just take one of the other buses.
There is also a nice walkway between the two..takes about 10 mins to walk between the two.

There are pluses to each one. I love the pool area at Kidani, but hate having to walk out the front of the bldg and then down a walkway along the entrance way to get to the pool...bad planning. I like the Kidani's villas, but not the possible long walk to a villa. I thought the hallways at BWV were never ending..didn't hold a candle to the hallways at Kidani. But, the viewing stations along the hallways are terrific. I like the small beverage refill station off the lobby at Kidani.
But I like having Mara at Jambo House. And being able to just do down to Boma is terrific..as well as Jiko.
There are pluses, and minuses, to each.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
LeahA
DIS Veteran

Jambo House-The bustling hub of the resort. More non guests will be at Jambo house because of Boma and Jiko. Jambo House has 2 sit down restaurants and 1 counter service restaurant. The pool area is nice and there is 2 hot tubs.

Kidani Village-Kidani is quieter, there is one sit down restaurant-Sanaa, my new favorite. There is no counter service restaurant, but there is a store where you can grab some things. There is a spot to refill your mug down by the pool. The pool area is a little more fun for little ones looking for some shooting fountains and fun things to climb on. This resort also has 2 pools.

Both resorts offer ample animal viewing areas, I preferred Kidani's viewing areas better. They both have arcades and incredible African Art. I prefer Kidani, but wouldn't hesitate to stay at Jambo again!
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Jambo House villas are converted hotel rooms. So no extra bathroom in the one bedroom and larger. In the master bathroom, there is no separate shower like all the other DVC villas. It's combined with the smaller jetted tub.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
krmlaw
DIS Veteran

anyone know how far the walk is b/t jambo and kidani?
August 2010 - Our baby's 2nd trip! Marriott Grande Vista
December 2010 - Baby's 3rd trip and our first holiday visit! Cypress Grande Villas
October 2011 - Big Boy's 4th trip - our 1st Mickey's Halloween and Food and Wine. Animal Kingdom Villas!
February 2012 - Big Boy's 5th trip - Beach Club Villas
September 2012 - Big boy's 6th trip - just mommy and me celebrating 3!
July 2013 - Big boy's 7th trip

Our other lives - Royal Caribbean Cruises and Timesharing
krmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmlaw View Post
anyone know how far the walk is b/t jambo and kidani?
It's about a ten minute walk between Jambo and Kidani.

Jambo to Kidani by bus: Take the DTD bus.

Kidani to Jambo by bus: Take any park bus.

Check at Valet Parking. There is a shuttle between resorts.

Kathy

John's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
krmlaw
DIS Veteran

thanks! thats so helpful

is the walk "nice" things to look at?
August 2010 - Our baby's 2nd trip! Marriott Grande Vista
December 2010 - Baby's 3rd trip and our first holiday visit! Cypress Grande Villas
October 2011 - Big Boy's 4th trip - our 1st Mickey's Halloween and Food and Wine. Animal Kingdom Villas!
February 2012 - Big Boy's 5th trip - Beach Club Villas
September 2012 - Big boy's 6th trip - just mommy and me celebrating 3!
July 2013 - Big boy's 7th trip

Our other lives - Royal Caribbean Cruises and Timesharing
krmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmlaw View Post
thanks! thats so helpful

is the walk "nice" things to look at?
Unless there is another route, we walked down the main road and through a parking lot.

Kathy

John's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: