Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

10 Years, 10 Trips, 20,000 Miles ... almost Disneytopia!

10 Years, 10 Trips, 20,000 Miles ... almost Disneytopia!

Disneytopia. In searching for the most magical vacation, I found it in DisneyWorld. And, even though this is only my 2nd trip report, we have had absolutely wonderful vacations each and every time. Every time we go, we try new things, try new tips, and learn new ways to make our Disney vacation even more magical. So, as I go through this brief trip report, I hope to share all those ideas I've learned. Plus, with my memory, I can return and read this before my next trip and help me achieve - Disneytopia.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-10-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

History

Before I go to the trip report, let me provide a little history. As an only child, I went to Disney World once with my parents around age 13. After a week in Fort Lauderdale at the HoJo, we arrived on a Saturday in Spring Break, close to Easter. In the 5 hours we stayed at Epcot, I rode a ride or two, walked through all the countries with my parents, and we left. Thus, my first trip was - where's the magic? As for DW, she never went to WDW as a child.

Let's fast forward to when DW and I were married. In planning our honeymoon, she suggested Disney World. Now, I did not remember having a very good time, but since she had never been and it was our honeymoon (edit to include clean thoughts), I thought, sure.

Since I'm never going to play in the Superbowl, "Hey, AirGoofy, you just got married! What are your gonna do now?" I'm going to Disney World!!!!!
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Honeymoon

So, here we are on our honeymoon.

This is a self-pic at the Tea Cups in MK. I have taken a similar style picture each time at the Tea Cups over the years. I also noticed that Disney is making the tea cups smaller each year. There just can't be another explanation.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

History ...

The reason I started here was because this is where I learned some great tips and forgot about them. I had never heard of Disboards, ADR, Extra Magic Hours, FPs, etc and had absolutely no plans. Now, it was during September and as there were the two of us, finding seats at a restaurant is not that tricky. So, we enjoyed a week at WDW, visiting all the parks, walked onto rides with little wait and really had the time of our lives.

We did not return the following year, then DW was pregnant with 1st child, then we waited, waited, 2nd child, waited, and then we returned. Five years after our honeymoon, we returned with our oldest dd at 3 and youngest dd at 15 months. This time, we had plans, DP, and everything else. We returned again each year after that, going commando each day, itinerary, DP, joined DVC, two trips a year, DxDP,

We needed a vacation after returning from our vacation. Each year, I would track down new ideas, plans, etc and try something new. Well, finally, after all that time, I think I finally figured it out. Hopefully, our next vacation will be Disneytopia - a perfect, magical, and relaxing vacation. Now, without further delay, this year's trip report ....
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-10-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 1

So, we left Thursday night around 7:00 PM and drove all night.

Lesson Learned: Driving at night while the children sleep alleviates those "are we there yet questions".

We went to DTD on our first day.

My oldest dd is pointing to a bird that landed in the dragon's mouth and is sitting on the tooth. We went to Portobello for lunch and used our DVC discount. It was a great restaurant. The pizza was much better than Via Napoli in Epcot. We were able to sit outside under the awning (or whatever word y'all use for that). The family enjoyed a calamari appetizer, and then we walked over to Ghirardelli for some ice cream desert.

Lesson learned: No more dining plans. You get way too much food and you waste time with all those reservations. Go where you want. Eat where there is no wait. And, perk with DVC discount even better.

We went shopping for the annual dated magnet, earrings, and I went to the pin trading store and bought a pin of our resort. I have two Disney hats decorated with pins - one of various rides, characters, or other new things that we did and another with each resort we've visited. Here is one of them.

Then, onto our room.

Lesson learned: No more off property stays. We stayed at the Holiday Inn away from the parks for just the 1 night. Now, the hotel was really nice and we had fun relaxing at the pool. But, it means that we pack an extra bag, and/ or pack and un-pack. No split stays. Check-in to one hotel and don't worry about it until it's time to go home.

That night we returned to DTD for dinner at Fulton's Crab House. It has the best seafood at WDW and is one we visit most every trip. The King Crab Claws are amazing ...
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
tobs2
Earning My Ears

great story!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 2 - Boardwalk

On to the Boardwalk. We stayed at Value resorts for our first 4 trips. Then, after staying at CBR, we joined DVC and never looked back. So, for those of you thinking about going to a Moderate - be careful. There is a small or no line for a bus, and you can avoid a bus at some resorts by going with a monorail, boat, or feet.

Now, the view from our balcony wasn't much. We did the standard view to save points.

But, the view from the Boardwalk is beautiful.

We did have an ADR for breakfast at Cape May.

Lesson Learned: You need a reservation for a character breakfast at a resort; but limit the travel. Now, Cape May Breakfast has been one of our favorite resort breakfasts, but it was not the same as past experiences. So, would I schedule it when staying at the Yacht & Beach Club or Boardwalk, absolutely. Would I schedule it when staying at another resort - no. It is not worth the travel time and cost.

We enjoyed the day at the Luna Pool with the giant clown mouth water slide. Somehow, I never got a picture of that water slide. But, it is the best water slide at any resort I have stayed. I have not yet been to CR or BC, so I may change that report. The community hall was fun with ping pong, air hockey, foosball, and sony playstation.

We enjoyed dinner at Yachtsman's steakhouse. I had the fillet, which was excellent. I would go with Yachtsman, Le Cellier, Turf Club, and Jiko for steak. They are exceptional. DW had the New York Strip (which was ok) and we split an appetizer (scallops), dd had mac n cheese, and dd had hot dog.

Lesson learned: Returning to Dining Plans, going back to our October trip, we spent less money w/o DxDP. But, we only split an appetizer, skipped desert, and drank alcohol. So, if you are comparing apples to apples, yes the DP or DxDP is cheaper. But, if you don't want to cram all that food, forced to follow entree/ desert per person or app/entree/desert per person, then just eat what you want and pay OOP.

Later, we enjoyed the live entertainment on the Boardwalk. I was so into the show that I forgot to take pictures. They had 3 different performers - a plate spinner and two magicians. The family enjoyed some ice cream while watching.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-10-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 3

We are Catholic and went to search for Mass this morning. The reason I said search was that we couldn't find it.

In October 2010, we went to St. Faustina.

I took the picture because I have never seen a Catholic church in a former gas station/ store. Well, it turns out the church went out of business or moved to a new location as there was a different store there now. By the time we found another, we missed it. We went grocery shopping for some food items in our room.

Lesson Learned: Duh, search and print better directions. Also, a case of water and beer is MUCH cheaper in KY than in tourist area Florida.

We returned to the resort and thought we would travel over to Port Orleans for some beignets. My youngest dd (6) loves Tiana movie, so after swimming for a bit, DW and girls put on their cover-up, I a t-shirt and we boated to DHS, walked to Port Orleans bus stop, bused to Port Orleans, split an order of beignets, boated to DTD, walked to bus stop, and bused back to Boardwalk.

Lesson Learned: Don't travel to eat. While that was a really fun experience, Port Orleans is neat (we had never been there), and beignets were yummy, that was a lot of transportation. Also, if you do decide to travel, change clothes. I don't have pictures as I got out of the pool and left my phone in the room. But, it was not as comfortable to travel in swimsuit. Thus, depending on where you pick your resort, plan to eat closeby so you don't spend all the time in transportation. If you really want to try something else, stay at a different resort the next time.

That night, we went to the ESPN Club. And, we did not have reservations and only waited about 5 minutes. The food was exceptional. DW and I split a nacho appetizer, I had a reuben sandwich, DW had philly cheese steak, dd had hot dog, and dd had cheeseburger. Plus, we split a pitcher of beer. And, the whole meal cost the same as a character breakfast buffet.

Lesson learned: You don't have to have ADRs to eat at a restaurant or have a good time. And, back to DP - I had a great meal with draft beer as opposed to a standard chocolate cake desert. Being able to walk up when we were hungry, order what we want, have alcohol with dinner - that's what vacation is truly about.

We returned that evening and again enjoyed the outdoor Boardwalk performers.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 4

Surely, by Day 4 you're in a theme park? No.

Lesson Learned: Go commando at the theme park, but don't go to a theme park each and every day. Take time to enjoy your resort.

We enjoyed a nice breakfast of pop tarts, yogurt, bagels and cream cheese in our room (courtesy the grocery store the day before). After some shopping on the boardwalk, we go to the Big River Grille for lunch. Again, there are no reservations, a short wait, and you can eat outside (in the shade areas) or indoors which was too cramped.

Lesson Learned: Eat outdoors at Big River Grille.

After a light lunch and few beers, we walk to Fantasia for some miniature golf.

We stopped over at the Swan & Dolphin to relax.

The miniature golf is expensive (what, WDW is cheap?) but both dds received a golf ball at the end of the course and had a lot of fun. Even the easy side course is difficult. DW kept hitting the ball off the course and I offered her my wedge. She did not think it was funny. We took some water bottles with us from the grocery run.

Lesson learned: It is really hot to play miniature golf in the middle of the afternoon in Florida. Also, it is really hot when you are chasing golf balls off the course.

We returned to the pool for some night swimming, community hall fun, and pizza from the Boardwalk poolside. Now, that was really fun.

Lesson learned: The pools are much less crowded in the evening. There is a long wait for pizza at certain times. So, you can order a whole pizza for $20, or pay the per slice charge of whatever they have and get it quicker.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-13-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
BookTrout
Earning My Ears

I think you have some valuable and sensible tips and I appreciate them. Thanks.
Sharon
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 5

Disney's Hollywood Studios.

So, the only bad weather of the trip. A thunderstorm was predicted and it hit within a hour of the forecasted time. It rained from 9 until 12, and then nice weather the rest of the day, getting a little cool at night. We bring $1 ponchos from the dollar store or elsewhere as Disney's are quite pricey.

Lesson learned: Upon arriving at DHS, walk to TSM. Have someone wait in line while someone else gets FPs. The picture is the ceiling (Andy's room) in the TSM ride.

We were able to ride TSM with less than a 30 minute wait in the AM, and then had a FP to ride it later day before lunch. Really frickin cool. We did the Great Hollywood Movie ride and went to Tower of Terror where we waited over an hour for the ride.

Lesson Learned: If you waiting that long for ToT, then something may be wrong. When we finally got up there, only one side of the ride was working and two cars were down. We would return and ride it again later that day, without FP, and had a 20 minute wait.

After ToT, we walked over to the RNRC. It is my favorite roller coaster at WDW. Plus, since Aerosmith is my favorite group, it probably helps. After seeing the pre-ride show, my dd (6) would refer to Aerosmith as "Steven Tyler and his little buddies".

I thought my dd (9) was old and strong enough to ride the ride, but I was not going to let my 6 year old ride. She meets height requirements, but it is an overprotective dad thing. On the way over, my oldest dd says she does not want to ride. She had been really excited about doing the coaster for the 1st time, but was scared. So, DW and I did the single rider line.

Lesson learned: Use the single rider option when available.

Not all rides have single riders, but if they do, consider it. DW, I, and two girls stood in the single rider line at the same time with a 5 minute wait. Then, DW was able to go on one coaster. I sent my two dds through the exit line where they would stand in the gift shop area. I told them to stand in front of the TVs and watch for DW's picture. Then, I was able to get on the next coaster. So, the children walked by themselves to the gift shop and were there for a few minutes before DW joined them. I know this is a parenting decision, and I felt mine were old enough. I could have waited longer in the single rider line to make sure that DW was in gift shop. Or, your whole family could wait in single rider line, and then 1 parent and all children exit while other parent rides.

After the RNRC, we walked out and grabbed lunch at Rosie's.

Lesson Learned: Time it right. Take your food from Rosie's and walk over to the Belle live show. We were able to see the whole Belle show while eating lunch. Again, no DP - dd (9) and I split a $10, 1/3 pound burger. It was a nice rest, great show, nice meal, and then onto the parks. Plus, we sit near the top so we don't spill food on people and then have a nice exit after the show.

We did the Backlot Studio walking/ tram tour, which was really fun. I had never done that before in all 10 years. It is a long tour, so give yourself some time. There is part of the show where you stand and they have stunts and explosions in front of you (safely in the show area). Then, onto the tram ride.

Then, it was onto the muppets. DHS is a hard to master theme park, the way it is arranged and the time of all the shows. Thus, you end up with a lot of walking.

After the muppets, it was back to Lights, Motors, Action, the stunt show we had never been to.

It is definitely worth seeing it once. It was really exciting. I wished they had driven longer. I did see Agent Smith from the Matrix series sitting in the stands, but couldn't get close enough for a picture. He was not wearing sunglasses.

After that, it was on to the Brown Derby for a dinner meal. The Brown Derby is excellent. I had the fillet, which was outstanding. It was better than Yachtsman's. DW had the Cobb salad, which I tried, and was really good. We split the chocolate trio desert, which was amazing. DW and girls did not like the raspberry sauce, but they ate underneath it.

Now, the weather did get a little cool that evening so we bought jackets. I really did not want to spend that much on clothing, but I kinda wanted the jackets.

Lesson learned: Bring light jacket if you see a bad weather report, unless you just want the "excuse" to buy more Disney merchandise.

We enjoyed more rides, RNRC with oldest child, ToT, and a few others while we waited for Fantasmic. We enjoyed the history of Walt Disney over near TSM, and the musuem stuff was really neat.

Fantasmic ends the day. It is a really cool live show, but there are a massive amount of people there, even though it is the 10:00 PM show. Apparently, everyone had the same idea we had. There is a line to get inside that starts near the entrance to the Belle Show. Many people say to arrive 30 minutes to an hour early to get a seat. We arrived about 30 minutes early and were able to get a seat. Finally, after Fantastmic, we stopped for some candy treats on the way out of DHS.

Lessons learned: If you do the 10:00 Fantasmic show, hustle to the Disney transportation. With our stopping and strolling, we made the last DHS boat back to the Boardwalk.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-13-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 6

After a commando day, take the time to sleep in. We went over to Captain's Grille at the Yacht Club for lunch. It was a nice, relaxing walk around the Boardwalk and the meal was good. But, I was full before I arrived, and miserable after I left. A nice day of swimming helped.

Then, a return trip to Beach Club for Cape May Seafood buffet. Unfortunately, the crab legs were watery, and were similar to the ones I can get here in KY at a Chinese Restaurant. (I don't go there anymore). The mussels tasted bad. The soups were cold. It really was not a pleasant meal. Granted, since I had seafood at Fulton's, perhaps I was expecting more. So, this really was the worst meal we had during the trip. The best thing on the menu was the pizza (for kids). This time, an early night to bed because Thursday is a Theme Park day.

Lesson Learned: Just because there is a new restaurant you haven't tried at WDW, it doesn't mean you have to try to fit them all in.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-13-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 7

A day at the theme parks. Today, it is Epcot.

We start the day at the International Gateway entrance. It is one of the best things about staying at Boardwalk or Beach Club - walking to Epcot.

We start the day with 8:00 AM ADR at the Princess Breakfast at Akershus. It is one of my favorite breakfasts, simply for the cold food buffet.

Lesson Learned: Plan an ADR before the park opens. You can get in and walk through an empty theme park. It is so much fun. And, when you are done eating, then you are ahead of the rush to have fun at the park.

As we finished breakfast, we walked down from Akershus to the entrance show with Mickey and characters. So, on the WS side, we were 1st for the RD and were able to walk right into the character photo meet n greet, and be 2nd for our pictures to be taken. We didn't try to out-sprint the others.

We have been to Epcot many times and have this park down really well. After our character pictures, we went to Soarin. Again, one person to FP while the other stands in line. We had less than a 30 minute wait for Soarin. After Soarin, we did Living with the Land and the Story of Life, and then the FP for Soarin again. Next, we headed across Epcot and did Mission Space, Ellen Energy, GM Test Track, and FP for Test Track later. We really didn't eat lunch, but grabbed a snack or 2 along the way. Then, it was back across for Figment and Living with the Seas with Nemo, Turtle Time with Crush, and pictures with Bruce the Shark.

We tried to get the Disney Visa picture, but the crowd was simply too long. There were plenty of topiaries. I took many pictures, but thought I would post this one from Cars

and one from Lion King.

We made it up to Mexico for their boat ride with the Three Cabelleros and to Norway for their boat ride. The girls were able to color their Duffy pictures and later get their picture with Duffy. We usually hit France for their movie in the middle of the day for everyone to rest and/or nap; but we did not need to do so this time.

Over in Germany, Rapunzel's tower from Tangled is there. It is not a ride you can go it, but a good photo op.

We had dinner at Tutto Italia, which was really good.

Lesson Learned: If you go with a character breakfast buffet, then you may want to skip a dinner TS. I was too full and wish I had just had a pretzel and beer for dinner.

We made it back for our GM Test Track FPs, Space Ship Earth and played some games after the ride. Finally, our day ended with Illuminations. We sat down over on benches near Canada. The fireworks from the World Showcase were beautiful. Plus, it was really nice to be able to walk back out the World Showcase and back to the Boardwalk.

Lesson learned: Watch the fireworks over on the World Showcase. It is far less crowded and the show reflects off the water. If you are not staying at one of the Epcot Resorts, your exit time will be increased.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 04-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Your a trip report machine. I really liked the "lessons learned" format.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Wow. This TR is on steroids! Sounds like you are having a great vacation so far. I may have to adopt your writing strategy just so I can complete my TR in the next few weeks! And LOVE the lessons learned
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: